PDA

View Full Version : Help: CFA, ABC, XTU????What to take?

2.2vtec
02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Being a recent gradute from the University of Lethbridge(finance) I have noticed how hard it is to get a job. It seems like you NEED something extra to make yourself more marketable. Now a few things come to mind, CFA and CSC. Now I know the CSC is just a course and the CFA has 3 levels with a 33% pass rate but I eventually want to have a CFA designation. Is it a waste to start out doing the CSC and then move on to a CFA. Anyone in the finance department please shed some light!

Millsie
02-27-2006, 02:18 PM
A CSC is fairly mandatory these days for entry into Bank's and such. The CFA is a solid program that is tough, though it is nice and exclusive, comprable to the CA program for accounting majors (I'm one).

I would take the CSC course ASAP and then work in into your job contract to get your new employer to pay for the CFA program, as it is a fairly long haul and can be expensive.

2.2vtec
02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
So it would be a good idea to have both underneath ones belt?

Si_FlyGuy
02-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Definitely CFAs are better recognized than MBAs in some fields. I wanted to take the CFA in addition to my accounting designations, but they said that accounting doesn't count towards their experience requirements. :rolleyes:

Shaolin
02-27-2006, 06:27 PM
do the CSC and then your CFA Danny..

still unemployed? don't feel like workin for another bank?

bigboom
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
to get the CFA you need to work 5 years in an approved place of work...so until you get into that line of work I would not reccomend starting it yet.

2.2vtec
02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
do the CSC and then your CFA Danny..

still unemployed? don't feel like workin for another bank?

More like in between jobs, just looking for the right one. As for workin in the bank, personal banker wasnt for me. I would work in bank if it was a more of a specialized poistion directed towards investments..