PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Fume coming out of the Exhaust

shaveen
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
hey.
theres too much fume coming out of the Exhaust.
also kind of smells like something burning.
what could it be??????

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
sounds like you engine is burning oil buddy :thumbsdow

barbarian
02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
What color smoke?

shaveen
02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
white smoke.
smells like oil.

90s_tuner
02-28-2006, 12:14 AM
oil is blue. white is coolant. maybe if it smells bad its because both are mixing and your headgasket is blown. any loss in power?

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-28-2006, 09:44 AM
didn't you JUST get a new engine put in? less than a week ago?
if its already blowing smoke i think you got jipped

/////AMG
02-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Semi-hijack (sorry shaveen).

When my car is idling, it stinks of petrol. If I go around the back, right under the opening of the exhaust is a very small puddle). Basically it’s spitting.

What’s the cause and solution for this?

zzdoey
02-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Semi-hijack (sorry shaveen).

When my car is idling, it stinks of petrol. If I go around the back, right under the opening of the exhaust is a very small puddle). Basically it’s spitting.

What’s the cause and solution for this? It's running rich, so you should replace your oxygen sensor and get a tune up.

/////AMG
02-28-2006, 12:37 PM
:thumbsup: ^^Thanks, it'll probably fail it's MOT test for that, it's up for renewal at the end of March anyway. Better get it fixed before that then.

Also, does this cause bad fuel consumption?:dunno:

ApexDrift
02-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
:thumbsup: ^^Thanks, it'll probably fail it's MOT test for that, it's up for renewal at the end of March anyway. Better get it fixed before that then.

Also, does this cause bad fuel consumption?:dunno:

YUP

/////AMG
02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
:banghead: That explains everything.
Thanks!

/end hi-jack

alloroc
02-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by shaveen
hey.
theres too much fume coming out of the Exhaust.
also kind of smells like something burning.
what could it be??????

Exhaust fumes?

Turning your car off should fix it.

barbarian
02-28-2006, 09:58 PM
You sure that's fuel and not condensation in the exhaust?

Oxgen sensors will not cause your car to leak liquid fuel out of the exhaust. A severely stuck injection system might, but I think if there was that much liquid, your engine pistions would get hydraulically locked. Also, with that much gas, it would smell like rotten eggs from the catalystic convertor. However, get it checked out. It's probably condensation + running a little rich, but an engine running rich will destroy a cat convertor too, and that's expensive...

For the original poster:

Does the exhaust smell sweet? If so, antifreeze. If you're lucky, it's leaking from the intake manifold gasket into the exhaust manifold. If you're unlucky, it's a head gasket. Get it fixed fast, or you'll need a new cat. and oxygen sensor as well, and maybe a new engine.

Someone mentioned that the engine is only a week old, that's not surprising. It's not hard to mistake a small coolant hose for a vacuum hose and not clamp it during an engine swap, and then you lose enough coolant that the engine overheats and blows a gasket. My brother did that with a Honda (mid 80's model) once.