PDA

View Full Version : Flames get Cale Hulse!

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 10:52 AM
For Cam Severson from Columbus.

heavyD
02-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Daryl is bringing in another D-man to shore up the defense corpse for the inevitable trade of Jordan Leopold for a forward.

dericer
02-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Where'd you hear that. I can't find kit on TSN, or Sportsnet. :dunno:

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Fan 960 I think. My brother texted it to me before I got to work.

HTN SWCHS
02-28-2006, 10:56 AM
i have some of his hockey cards when he used to be a flame, i hope he doesnt suck as much

jcrules99
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
haha cale hulse.. they should bring back some former flames, like savard and st.louis:D

kent
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=6307&hubname=

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Conroy.....not as long ago, but still would rock.

Vagabond142
02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
It's not a bad trade. It's not the STELLAR trade that we're all waiting for, but it's not a bad trade

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 11:11 AM
it's a buildup to that stellar trade (hopefully) but I trust in Sutter here.

dericer
02-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Hulse > Marchment, but is a 6th man on any other team let alone a deep defensive squad like ours.

10 bux says he plays under 20 games then replaced by Ritchie Regehr.

mac_82
02-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Nothing wrong with having a bit more defensive depth going into the playoff stretch. Here is a look at our defense depth chart:

Ro. Regehr
D. Phaneuf
R. Hamrlik
J. Leopold
R. Warrener
A. Ference
C. Hulse
B. Marchement (IR)
Ri. Regehr
M. Giodano
Z. Komarniski

:goflames:

Team_Mclaren
02-28-2006, 11:22 AM
experience > ritchie regehr during playoffs. Good trade and i do believe one of our main defense will be gone soon.

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Slightly scary to think Hulse'll be playing regularily, but who knows. We REALLY need a centre...badly. And word is that the Sens are looking at Jokinen.

lastprodigy
02-28-2006, 11:37 AM
lol nothing to get excited over...Hulse was a healthy scratch for jackets alot of the time too

mac_82
02-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I would rather have Hulse playing over Marchement any day. I think the reason people are getting excited is the fact that Calgary didn't need another D man, so it means another trade is most likely coming soon...

lastprodigy
02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
IMO its foolish to expect sutter to make a blockbuster (Jokinen would be a blickbuster for sutter in my books) even though they need it, I just dont see it. Oh well, I'll let him prove me wrong!

mac_82
02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
If Sutter makes a blockbuster or not, I have the utmost faith in him. The only questionable move he has made was picking up Marchment, other than that all his transactions have been gold.

Kirbs17
02-28-2006, 11:57 AM
I agree with heavyD, this is just a buffer trade for the inevitable trade of Leopold...

stevieo
02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
damn cale hulse.. this guy gives me bad memories..hahaha
ahem...the YOUNG GUNS days anyone?

dericer
02-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I try to block those years out.

Bure who?

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 12:34 PM
What's a valeri?

dericer
02-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
What's a valeri?

Ug me like hockey

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 12:42 PM
"so what we're introducing is this blue streak ON SCREEN everytime someone passes the puck. And when they shoot? red streak"

mac_82
02-28-2006, 12:54 PM
http://www.mse.cornell.edu/courses/engri111/images/e-puck2.jpg

best idea evar

Kirbs17
02-28-2006, 01:06 PM
:rofl: :rofl: dumbass american hockey fans :rofl: :rofl:

SuPhistiKatEd
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Nice trade.

The only thing I'm worried about is which D Man Sutter's gonna cough up? I don't really see Leopold going anywhere....He's not living up to his expectations, but he's still a huge contributor to the team.

Ference....I could see him being dealt away.

Hamrlik.....although Sutter said "I hope he's back by the trade deadline" and the media hints that Hamrlik could be traded...I don't see him leaving. He was one of the best players Sutter picked up this season. It's just unfortunate that he's had so many injuries.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in the next week...

88CRX
02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Hulse is a decent 7th-8th d-man now that Marchment is done.

SuPhistiKatEd
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I though Marchment is ready to return? :confused:

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Marchment's not done though. He's back skating, and can probably play if he had to. I hope his knee at LEAST taught him to not fuggin injure people.

buh_buh
02-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Marchment's supposed to be back in a couple weeks before playoffs start. Either way I think this is a good move since Hammer's still out for a while, and Richie Regehr is injured (most likely why Giordano was called up instead of Regehr). This really solidifies our depth on defence, and we won't have to worry about what happened in last year's playoffs (having to give the Doors a lot of playing time). I hope if anything its Ference that goes, but I don't think he's worth much as far as trade value goes.

SuPhistiKatEd
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Maybe Sutter is just stacking up the D for the Playoffs, in the case that the Flames "go far" and sustain injuries? :dunno:

Vagabond142
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Hmmm... Suph brings up a good point... Hamrlik would be a worthwhile trade for a blockbuster. Then again, Hamrlik plays "sutter hockey" very well. I can EASILY see Ference going... but who would take him? Leopold isn't all that bad, but he's still down in the ranks so he is tradeable... at least he's better than Ference will ever be.

I could see these as possible trades (using only names mentioned in this thread):

Hamrlik --> blockbuster forward + draft picks OR contract options on another forward OR 1st or 2nd line D

Leopold --> 2nd or 3rd line forward

Ference --> Anyone, including the zamboni driver

heavyD
02-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Hmmm... Suph brings up a good point... Hamrlik would be a worthwhile trade for a blockbuster. Then again, Hamrlik plays "sutter hockey" very well. I can EASILY see Ference going... but who would take him? Leopold isn't all that bad, but he's still down in the ranks so he is tradeable... at least he's better than Ference will ever be.

I could see these as possible trades (using only names mentioned in this thread):

Hamrlik --> blockbuster forward + draft picks OR contract options on another forward OR 1st or 2nd line D

Leopold --> 2nd or 3rd line forward

Ference --> Anyone, including the zamboni driver

Leopold is worth more than Hamrlik. Good skating young defensemen are at a premium. He was great on the Olympic ice. Don't be surprised if he brings in a 1st line forward.

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
That'd be nice. And yes, very true that Leo can skate well. Does anyone know if Jokinen is still a plausible one? (and was that rumour even slightly founded in the first place other than "we deal with Florida a lot"?)

buh_buh
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Hamrlik won't be worth much since he's got a big contract and has been injured all year. And like HeavyD said, this is only Leopold's 3rd season, he's is still very young and still has a huge upside.

I think Jokinen is still a plausible one, especially since there's word Ottawa is now shopping for a backup to Hasek. Although I don't think a rent-a-player is worth trading away a good young D man. Iggy already showed its not a playmaker he needs during the Olympics (can you play with a better one in Sakic?). He just needs to put in some more heart.

l8braker
02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
seems like a stupid move, but sutter knows exactly what he's doing.. we'll see what happens. + he is married to gina lee nolin from baywatch... can't wait for those spotted threads :hitit:

is he going to suit up tonight?

dericer
02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Pray to god we don't give up Leopold for a UFA.

Maybe Giordanno + Simon (Keenan likes Simon)

buh_buh
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
how is it a stupid move? We traded away a 1.5 point per season guy for a veteran defenceman who can fill in if need be.

88CRX
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
how is it a stupid move? We traded away a 1.5 point per season guy for a veteran defenceman who can fill in if need be.

Because its not an all-star center :rolleyes: .... depth people! depth wins cups!

l8braker
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I've always had the memories of Hulse being "just an average" player. Nothing special... Obviously Sutter see's something there that we don't:goflames:

heavyD
02-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm not big on renta-players. If you look at the history of big name renta-players not many have contributed to Stanley Cup victories. I wouldn't trade much for Jokinen unless he agrees to a long term deal. In that case I would probably trade anyone on the roster outside of Phaneuf, Iggy, & Kipper for him.

mac_82
02-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Can you say "future considerations"

buh_buh
02-28-2006, 02:19 PM
YOUNG GUNS REUNITE!

Nissanaddict
02-28-2006, 02:21 PM
:werd: well ya never know. He doesn't want to accept any offer from Florida, so either he's favouring certain teams, or wants to be on one that can win...so yeah. Let's hope.

mac_82
02-28-2006, 02:25 PM
For the record, who were the official players included in the young guns advertising campaign?

- Jarone Iginla
- Todd Simpson
- Cale Hulse
- Derek Morris
- Cory Stillman
- Denis Gauthier

:dunno:

l8braker
02-28-2006, 02:30 PM
^ regehr and lydman as well.

sputnik
02-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
For the record, who were the official players included in the young guns advertising campaign?

- Jarone Iginla
- Todd Simpson
- Cale Hulse
- Derek Morris
- Cory Stillman
- Denis Gauthier

:dunno:

Wasnt it guys like...

Cale Hulse, Todd Simpson, Jeff Shantz, Hnat Dominchelli, Jamie Allison, Joel Bouchard...

Kirbs17
02-28-2006, 02:39 PM
ahh those where the days.

Im actually interested to see what other teams are going to do at the trade deadline.. At lot of teams are in some trouble with the cap, and will need to dump some under acheivers (gomez with NJ) for younger, cheaper players.

Darkane
02-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I think sutter brought Marchment in to train Dion. Marchment is Dions favorite player what better way to strive to do your best infront of your Idol? Food for thought.

mac_82
02-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I thought his idol was Scott Stevens?

It's perhaps no surprise then to learn that the player Phaneuf has patterned his game after is New Jersey captain Scott Stevens, who lived up to his reputation Saturday night in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals when he leveled Anaheim's Paul Kariya and knocked him temporarily out of the game.

"Oh, that was a very, very big hit," Phaneuf said, sounding wholly unsympathetic. "He opened some eyes again there.

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=1332

toyboy88
02-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Because its not an all-star center :rolleyes: .... depth people! depth wins cups!

:werd: :werd:

Gondi Stylez
02-28-2006, 05:27 PM
good deal... depth:thumbsup:

cman
03-01-2006, 01:09 AM
The "experts" claim that Calgary will most likely stick with 8 D-men for the playoff run since after the trade dealine you can have unlimited players so long as you are under the salary cap or some shit like that:dunno:

skandalouz_08
03-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah I think the Flames will stick with 8 D men too, although for playoff games they will probably go down to 7 to start games and dress an extra forward. just my opinion tho.

Hakkola
03-01-2006, 01:24 AM

Depth all around wins cups, not just depth at defense. I'm gonna laugh when we get swept..

buh_buh
03-01-2006, 02:48 AM
sure, but I don't think there will be enough room for you on the bandwagon when they win a series or 2 (or 4)

dericer
03-01-2006, 08:58 AM
The crazy thing about the entire league this year is, every team is lacking depth in certain areas.

Calgary's great from the blue line back, but our forwards are leaving alot to be desired.

You guys might have noticed Leopold started last night, and there were about a dozen scouts in the audience.

Coincidence? :dunno:

Vagabond142
03-01-2006, 12:54 PM
In reply to HeavyD waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ^^^^^^^^^^^^ up there....

Leopold is a great skater, no doubt about it, but Hamrlik is a "sensationalizer." When he's not injured, he's fast, hits hard, shoots hard, plays hard and gets the crowd into it. If I had to put absolute value on both players, I would rank them dead even, monetarily. Leopold with the youth and development in the Flames D corps (which is touted as among the best in the league), Hamrlik with the experience and leadership he shows along with Regehr on the defense line. I valued Hamrlik higher in a trade, tho, because a team coming to the second half of the season looking for a D-man that can teach and lead will want experience over youth. Hence, Hamrlik carries more residual value from his years of experience, despite Leopold having fresher legs.

We really need Conroy back, simple as that. He was Iggy's right hand man, pretty much. I could see Ference + Leopold or Hamrlik + draft pick for Conroy. It may be nothing but a pipe dream, but I think that Conroy would be worth it.

What we really REALLY need is Iggy, Conroy and the Gellinator back on the ice at the same time, on the same team. That would work :thumbsup: Iggy as the frontman, Conroy as support, Gelinas for clearing a path for both. Plus, when they were on the ice in the playoffs 04, they all had ENORMOUS speed.

I also say dump Ference to Ak-Sar-Ben and bring up Ritchie Regehr full time. He has great promise, likes working under Sutter and, as amply demonstrated, has a shot to rival Phaneuf's missile shots from the blue line. He's also young and fresh like Leopold, and has a better stat history than Ference. Hell, he's scored more goals this year in Ak-Sar-Ben than Ference has in TWO FREAKING SEASONS pretty much :whipped:

JUST GET RID OF MOFUGGING FERENCE, SUTTER! PLEASE! The guy can't even hold a zone :cry:

EDIT: Marchment to a team for 2nd or 3rd line center. Marchment may be a total ass, but he carries experience and a decent amount of power to a D-line. I can see him getting traded to a team with struggling morale and/or a struggling D-corps, maybe with Ference or Leopold tagged on for a 1st line center (+ draft pick depending on values)

mac_82
03-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't even think Ference would make it to the AHL. Im not an expert on the subject, but I think another team would grab him off waivers on the way down, and then we lose him for nothing.

As much as I dislike Ference, we should at least try to get a decent return on him.

Vagabond142
03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, Ference is still on the roster, dunno why. He does play hard, he just doesn't have the developed skill to be an NHL player just yet. Don't get me wrong, we all hate him, but he DOES have a few pros that make him an enticing 2nd or 3rd line trade. He hits above his weight and height, has a good idea where the puck is when he's IN the zone, not trying to hold it, and has absolute assloads of endurance (he can do a 25-35 minute game and still have enough gas in the tank to jog around the saddledome 4 times). His cons, however, outweight the pros, such as his inability to pinch in from the blue line, the dreadful zone holding, sometimes delivers a hit when he needs to be puckhandling, and has shown that he can take stupid physical penalties at inopportune moments (Marchment is the king of this department, tho).

Like I said, he is rated to become a 1st or 2nd line defenseman in most scouts eyes, but for us, now, and for the foreseeable future, he sucks massive donkey cock and needs the boot

buh_buh
03-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Sutter is not going to trade away 2 of our defenceman for a guy we could've had for nothing. We let Conroy go for a reason (age and contract), so why would we take him back now? We're tied for first in our division, which is leaps and bounds better than how we were doing at this point last year. Trading for past memories doesn't really make sense for our team this year.

Ference is definately a NHL caliber defenceman. He may not be our best defenceman night in night out, and our 6th d man, but he would be a top 4 on a lot of teams that lack a bit of depth in their own end. He would definately get picked up off waivers if Sutter tried to send him down, and we'd be stuck with Marchment/Hulse/Regehr as our 6th guy (not to mention half his salary). IMO Marchment/Hulse are over the hill and are just there for injury purposes (like last year's playoffs), and Richie Regehr just lacks experience, which is a big thing in the playoffs.

His inability to pinch from the blueline is not so much a problem with his skill, but just his playing style. He is a defenceman afterall, and looking after his own end is his first priority. You don't see Ro. Regehr pinching in that often either, should we trade him too? The team isn't here just to win here and now, its built to win for years to come too, so lets not start trading away our future just yet.

Vagabond142
03-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes, Ri Regehr is a relative newb, but he is skilled. As to the pinching... Phaneuf pinches, Hamrlik pinches, hell, even mofugging MARCHMENT pinches, so why can't Ference? it's one of the key offensive zone techniques in the Sutter system (as well as plastering the opposing team to the boards)

I'm also not looking for past memories in the entirety (the Gelly bit was, tho :P). Conroy WORKS in the Sutter system. Attack and shoot on the offense, attack and collapse in the defense. He may be old, but he still has a few good years left. If I were GM, I would have kept him around for at least this season, but he was UFA and Sutter didn't re-sign. Also remember, Conroy is younger than Marchment, and we acquired Marchment as a 1 year UFA.

And I'm not harping on Ference because of his skills, as he does have some. It's just that he needs, in my view, some more time in development, work on his offensive blue line game (Phaneuf is a master of this, as is Hamrlik), learn to NOT lose the zone when at the blue line. I'm harping on Ference because in a team that is tied for first in the division, he doesn't seem to be stepping up. I always get the feeling he's nervous on the ice, just watching him play. Instead of challenging in the neutral zone, he stands around looking stunned half the time (a lot of Flames are guilty of this in the 3rd period of pretty much any game, but Ference is like that pretty much all the time).

Quite honestly, he would make a good trade, and not just from waivers. Like I said, 2nd or 3rd line trade prospect. I bet St. Louis would love to have him, as would most 5-8th seeded conference teams. He just needs DEVELOPMENT and I don't think he fits into the Sutter Plan. I cannot see him being a star defenseman or even a top 5 in the next few years. Maybe once he's had a few more years under his belt, ie when he's getting to be 28-30 years old, he'll be a prime prospect as a top 5, but for the forseeable future, I just really can't see his twitchy, nervous blue line style fitting in.

On the other hand, his in zone play is excellent. He can pass the puck from the boards or behind the net with accuracy, and is good for tape-to-tape pass GIVING. It's just that his receiving is the absolute bollocks, and getting worse every game. Plus, when he has the puck in a high slot position with good offensive cover, he never shoots. NEVER. He passes. The only way to score goals in hockey is to get that little black rubberized disc towards the big red metal rectangle with strings on the back of it. He doesn't seem to realize this.

buh_buh
03-01-2006, 03:10 PM
As to the pinching... Phaneuf pinches, Hamrlik pinches, hell, even mofugging MARCHMENT pinches, so why can't Ference? Look at the defensive pairings. There is always going to be one guy that is more defensive oriented than the other guy in the pairing. As of right now, its Leopold-Regehr, Phaneuf-Warrener, and Ference-Marchment. Phaneuf and Hamrlik are both offensive defenceman, hence their willingness to pinch.

I'm also not looking for past memories in the entirety (the Gelly bit was, tho :P). Conroy WORKS in the Sutter system.... If I were GM, I would have kept him around for at least this season, but he was UFA and Sutter didn't re-sign. Also remember, Conroy is younger than Marchment, and we acquired Marchment as a 1 year UFA. The reason Conroy wasn't resigned was because he wanted a long term contract that guaranteed him playing time for the rest of his career. When he signed his 4 year deal with the Kings (which is what he wanted), he was 33 or 34 years old, I don't really remember. But that was the reason Sutter didn't sign him. Conroy wanted a long term contract, and Sutter didn't want to be paying for a potentially 38 year old washed up center making 2.4 million a year.

And I'm not harping on Ference because of his skills, as he does have some. It's just that he needs, in my view, some more time in development, work on his offensive blue line game (Phaneuf is a master of this, as is Hamrlik), learn to NOT lose the zone when at the blue line. I'm harping on Ference because in a team that is tied for first in the division, he doesn't seem to be stepping up. I always get the feeling he's nervous on the ice, just watching him play. Instead of challenging in the neutral zone, he stands around looking stunned half the time (a lot of Flames are guilty of this in the 3rd period of pretty much any game, but Ference is like that pretty much all the time). So why doesn't Calgary just hang onto him and develop him into the defenceman he can be? I think Ference does have the potential to be a top 4 in the league, but I agree he does look nervous on the ice, and does make a lot of boneheaded giveaways resulting in scoring chances for the other team. Like I said, Phaneuf and Hamrlik are both offensive defenceman, hence their knack for making good offensive plays. Both those guys weren't on the team last year, and we made it to the finals. Trading away Ference is another piece of the Stanley Cup puzzle we once had that will be gone. IMO we need the core group of guys that were there last year to make it back this year.

I agree Ference would make for decent trade bait at this point, but if we trade him, do you really trust Marchment/Hulse to keep up while playing big minutes in the playoffs? I think we should hang onto our defenceman for the rest of this year, and see how things go. Word is Jokinen is asking for $6 mill/year, and its not likely Sutter will trade away our future in Leopold/Ference (to an extent), and prospects for a guy we won't be able to afford in the offseason. And plus, Sutter learned his lesson from last year when we had all those guys go down, and we resorted to Brennan Evans as our 7th guy. Definately not something I'd like to see in the playoffs.

Vagabond142
03-01-2006, 04:05 PM
You make some good points, Buh_buh. I'll concede that maybe we should hold on to Ference if he agrees to unstick his head from his ass and gets both into gear :thumbsup:

Marchment is the other biggy. Hulse I have no problem with, he's a stats-wise average player, good with the puck, uses the body somewhat to defend the puck, and isn't stupid. Marchment just likes to steamroll people. Then again, Calgary is known as a hard hitting and full checking team. Personally I think Marchment should get on the short bus out of Calgary, but I can't think of a suitable even trade for him... which is where I think that one of the top 3 Ak-Sar-Ben guys could come up and really shine. Richie has done superbly so far as a flame, same with that other dude whose name escapes me at this time... they may be young, but Ak-Sar-Ben is our seed team, and we're getting some good play out of the guys from there...

It could possibly go Marchment to waivers, open the market on him with the condition of signing + rest of season salary + buyout, for a 2nd or 3rd line defence or as a straight buyout, and bring up an Ak-Sar-Ben D. But, looking at Marchment's history, he does have the air of a rent-a-player about him, on an annual term.

Hakkola
03-01-2006, 05:51 PM
sure, but I don't think there will be enough room for you on the bandwagon when they win a series or 2 (or 4)

Who's on the bandwagon? You're saying Flames might win the cup with the lowest scoring totals 5 on 5 in the league, and with the 4th worst offense overall.

You can quote me on this, I like the flames but there is NO way we will win the cup without increasing our offensive output.

buh_buh
03-02-2006, 12:50 AM
You make some good points, Buh_buh. I'll concede that maybe we should hold on to Ference if he agrees to unstick his head from his ass and gets both into gear :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Don't get me wrong, if Ference can get someone decent here before trade deadline time I would not be sad to part with him.

Originally posted by Hakkola

Who's on the bandwagon? You're saying Flames might win the cup with the lowest scoring totals 5 on 5 in the league, and with the 4th worst offense overall.

You can quote me on this, I like the flames but there is NO way we will win the cup without increasing our offensive output. Who's on the bandwagon? How many official Flames threads were there before last season? How many times did the dome sell out before '04 in the past 10 years? How many Flames flags did you see before '04? I'll admit, after the Dave King years, the past 5 or 6 years have been kind of a blur, and I probably couldn't tell you how well the Flames placed (other than failing to make the playoffs), and I'm sure most of the city feels that way too with exception to a few.

I'm not saying they will win the cup this year (I don't think this is their year either), but I think they do have a legitimate shot at it, even with their current offence. Come playoff time, teams will buckle down, scoring will go down a lot, and like the saying goes, defence wins championships. But I do think they'll go to 2 or 3 rounds.

JordanLotoski
03-02-2006, 12:53 AM
i hope marchment and leapold go.....there usless

Hakkola
03-02-2006, 07:37 PM
: Come playoff time, teams will buckle down, scoring will go down a lot, and like the saying goes, defence wins championships.

Since when? I can't think of many teams that have won the cup recently that rely heavily on defence that didn't have good scoring other than NJ, and their scoring wasn't as bad as Calgary's.

2004 Tampa Bay Lightning John Tortorella Calgary Flames Darryl Sutter 4-3
2003 New Jersey Devils Pat Burns Mighty Ducks of Anaheim Mike Babcock 4-3
2002 Detroit Red Wings Scotty Bowman Carolina Hurricanes Paul Maurice 4-1
2001 Colorado Avalanche Bob Hartley New Jersey Devils Larry Robinson 4-3
2000 New Jersey Devils Larry Robinson Dallas Stars Ken Hitchcock 4-2
1999 Dallas Stars Ken Hitchcock Buffalo Sabres Lindy Ruff 4-2
1998 Detroit Red Wings Scotty Bowman Washington Capitals Ron Wilson 4-0
1997 Detroit Red Wings Scotty Bowman Philadelphia Flyers Terry Murray 4-0
1996 Colorado Avalanche Marc Crawford Florida Panthers Doug MacLean 4-0
1995 New Jersey Devils Jacques Lemaire Detroit Red Wings Scotty Bowman 4-0
1994 New York Rangers Mike Keenan Vancouver Canucks Pat Quinn 4-3
1993 Montreal Canadiens Jacques Demers Los Angeles Kings Barry Melrose 4-1
1992 Pittsburgh Penguins Scotty Bowman Chicago Blackhawks Mike Keenan 4-0
1991 Pittsburgh Penguins Bob Johnson Minnesota North Stars Bob Gainey 4-2
1990 Edmonton Oilers John Muckler Boston Bruins Mike Milbury 4-1
1989 Calgary Flames Terry Crisp Montreal Canadiens Pat Burns 4-2
1988 Edmonton Oilers Glen Sather Boston Bruins Terry O'Reilly 4-0
1987 Edmonton Oilers Glen Sather Philadelphia Flyers Mike Keenan 4-3
1986 Montreal Canadiens Jean Perron Calgary Flames Bob Johnson 4-1
1985 Edmonton Oilers Glen Sather Philadelphia Flyers Mike Keenan 4-1
1984 Edmonton Oilers Glen Sather New York Islanders Al Arbour 4-1
1983 New York Islanders Al Arbour Edmonton Oilers Glen Sather 4-0
1982 New York Islanders Al Arbour Vancouver Canucks Roger Neilson 4-0
1981 New York Islanders Al Arbour Minnesota North Stars Glen Sonmor 4-1
1980 New York Islanders Al Arbour Philadelphia Flyers Pat Quinn 4-2
1979 Montreal Canadiens Scotty Bowman New York Rangers Fred Shero 4-1
1978 Montreal Canadiens Scotty Bowman Boston Bruins Don Cherry 4-2
1977 Montreal Canadiens Scotty Bowman Boston Bruins Don Cherry 4-0
1976 Montreal Canadiens Scotty Bowman Philadelphia Flyers Fred Shero 4-0
1975 Philadelphia Flyers Fred Shero Buffalo Sabres Floyd Smith 4-2
1974 Philadelphia Flyers Fred Shero Boston Bruins Bep Guidolin

How many of those teams were known for only having a strong defence? Most of these teams were offensive powerhouses.

cman
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Since when? I can't think of many teams that have won the cup recently that rely heavily on defence that didn't have good scoring other than NJ, and their scoring wasn't as bad as Calgary's.
Actually in NJ's last cup win they had less goals than the Flames do at this point in the season.

88CRX
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
I bet Sutter makes one trade.

Leopold, Kobasew and a pick for Jokinen.

I'd be surprised if Sutter does anything else (which he shouldnt IMO)

Weapon_R
03-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Did Hulse spend more time in the penalty box tonight or on the ice?

cman
03-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Other than his 6 PIM, which is friken brutal, I thought he played decent.
Only guy with more PIM was Jarome
:goflames:

lastprodigy
03-02-2006, 11:28 PM
TOI 11:53

Hakkola
03-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by cman

Actually in NJ's last cup win they had less goals than the Flames do at this point in the season.

Which only MILDLY hurts my point. The majority of the teams I posted were offensive powerhouses.

Gondi Stylez
03-03-2006, 01:59 AM

If Jokinen gets traded i have a feeling he will go for only draft picks! high picks and probably a few but thats it! also, i think the sens are the front runners for him! oh well 7 days away :angel:

buh_buh
03-03-2006, 03:17 AM

Since when? I can't think of many teams that have won the cup recently that rely heavily on defence that didn't have good scoring other than NJ, and their scoring wasn't as bad as Calgary's. Funny how you mention New Jersey as the only team that relied heavily on defensive play and goaltending to win their cups, seeing as Calgary is very often compared to the Devils of the 90s, and I would consider the Devils a dynasty. Just because it hasn't been done often, doesn't mean it can't happen. When they won the cup in 03, they scored 2.63 gpg, which is exactly the same as the Flames gpg this year.

How many of those teams were known for only having a strong defence? Most of these teams were offensive powerhouses.
The teams that are pure run and gun will get nowhere in the playoffs (ie Thrashers this year, Islanders and Senators last year). Notice none of the teams that have won a previous cup has never had a poor defense. For every Mario Lemieux that wins a cup there's a Larry Murphy on the team.

Calgary will NEVER be an offensive powerhouse under Sutter, and we were still pretty damn close last year (a replay away) to winning the cup. With a defence first team, Calgary beat the second top scoring team in the league in Detroit, and took the third scoring team in the league to 7 (although it should've been over in 6) in the finals, not to mention Vancouver and San Jose who both still scored a lot more goals than the Flames in the regular season.

And like I was saying, teams will buckle down in the playoffs and start playing defense. The average goals per game per team in the playoffs last year was 1.99 vs 2.74 in the regular season. The teams with weak defenses tend to get booted, and the ones with better defenses tend to advance.

Vypros
03-03-2006, 04:21 AM
phaneuf looks like frankenstein

Nissanaddict
03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
As long as he keeps playing like the inhuman freak he plays like, who cares what he looks like. :goflames:

dericer
03-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Leopold + Kobasew for a UFA?

Doubt it.

Giodanno + MacDonald + Pick(s)/Future Considerations = Jokinen

88CRX
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by dericer

Leopold + Kobasew for a UFA?

Doubt it.

Giodanno + MacDonald + Pick(s)/Future Considerations = Jokinen

ha!

Sutter will have a contract extension with Jokinen before the trade is made.... it will not be a rent-a-player, Sutter has already said that. And there is no way in hell that Florida is gonna dump Jokinen for shit all... they'd rather take their chances trying to re-sign him in the off season.

88CRX
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
And like I was saying, teams will buckle down in the playoffs and start playing defense. The average goals per game per team in the playoffs last year was 1.99 vs 2.74 in the regular season. The teams with weak defenses tend to get booted, and the ones with better defenses tend to advance.

:werd:

What team doesnt play "Sutter hockey" in the playoffs?

lastprodigy
03-03-2006, 10:32 AM

:werd:

What team doesnt play "Sutter hockey" in the playoffs?

The ones that one last 95% of cups...

88CRX
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

The ones that one last 95% of cups...

Sutter hockey = good defensive hockey IMO

Tell me that last "run and gun" team to win the cup? Hell Pittsburgh tried through the mid to late 90's but they failed year after year.

The Flames are winning their division... what more do you want for them to be consided a contender?

max_boost
03-04-2006, 02:02 AM
None of you guys have mentioned his hot wife yet. Gina Lee Nolin :D :bigpimp:

Hakkola
03-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

DUDE! I saw this super hot blonde at Joey's Tomatoes last night, saw your post and was wondering who gena lee nolin is so I did a search and saw some pictures, and I'm pretty sure that was her at Joeys last night with Cale Hulse.

She is FINE.

HTN SWCHS
03-04-2006, 08:12 PM
for the lazy http://images.google.ca/images?q=Gina+Lee+Nolin&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

Seanith
03-05-2006, 12:10 AM
She is Hulse's wife?

l8braker
03-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Mentioned on the first page.

lastprodigy
03-05-2006, 04:52 PM

Sutter hockey = good defensive hockey IMO

Tell me that last "run and gun" team to win the cup? Hell Pittsburgh tried through the mid to late 90's but they failed year after year.

The Flames are winning their division... what more do you want for them to be consided a contender?

They had some more scoring as well...not saying theyre not a contender at all....

ProjectR
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
holy cow! she's pretty HOT :hitit: :hitit: :hitit: :hitit: :hitit:

ca2p3r
03-08-2006, 03:14 PM
:rofl: :werd: :hitit: