PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing fridge life?

ninjak84
02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
What does everyone do to keep things good in your fridge for as long as possible?

Things like bread, vegetables, fruit, and leftovers.
I always have my veggies going bad, and my bread never lasts as long as I think it should. Is it better to keep bread in a cool dry place? What about keeping veggies in a ziploc?
Also, what about leftover meat (beef/chicken)? What's the best way to store that?
Is freezing the ultimate solution?

You would think that 3 years of chemistry might have taught me something about moisture content..... but no. Thanks for the help :)

big-cat
02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
freeze it. . .

Ben
02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Well first off, stop refrigerating your bread. Will do far better on your counter where it's dry (unless your home is stupid humid).

How long are you expecting things to last, as you havent given us anything to work with. Maybe you're already getting max time out of stuff stored in the fridge.

ninjak84
02-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Ok, so should I keep bread in a ziploc then? Or just cloth wrap it (grandma style) in the cupboards

My veggies are the problem. I keep broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots in the same ziploc bag. But within 5 days, the cauliflower starts browning, and the broccoli gets yellow and gross. Carrots are a survivor....

I'd love to make 10 sandwiches at one time, then store them for school for the week. I'm just always worried that Thusdays/Fridays wouldn't make it

ps: Anyone have success with cellophane wrapping?

GQBalla
03-01-2006, 02:18 AM
why make so many sandwiches at one time?

doesn't your lettuce and stuff get soggy???

well how cold is your fridge?

i dunno if puttin bakin soda in your fridge will expand the life of stuff put in there but.

i think something in the fridge longer than 5 days that is leftover food is disgusting.:barf:

t-im
03-01-2006, 02:43 AM
Buy A Sub-Zero..it keeps food fresher, longer :nut:

but in all honesty, have you tried just wrapping them tightly (not exposing your vegetables/leaving them opened), and putting them in the "vegetable" bin..

sounds stupid and simple, but for me I noticed that food seems to last a bit longer if i put it in the drawers (I use to just throw everything in the fridge and leave it)..

and I don't think making a weeks worth of sandwiches would really cut it..not because of vegetables/meat going bad in the sandwich, but because the moisture of the meats etc will soak through the bread..mkaing a soggy sandwich :barf:

szw
03-01-2006, 03:19 AM
I think 5 days is about right. You shouldn't store everything the same way, google it to find shelf lives and storage methods. For ex you shouldn't keep broccoli in a sealed ziploc. Put it in an open plastic bag and stick it in the crisper. Even then, about 4-5 days is what you're suppoesd to get out of it.

ZorroAMG
03-01-2006, 09:41 AM
You should have each different veggie in its own bag....the meexed wegetables react with eachother.

If not, pm SLR about how he keeps his fridge so P.I.M.P.!! :rofl:

abyss
03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Buy the bread in that tinfolish shiny bag (kindof like cellophane). then reuse the bag if you want to buy different bread after that. My bread lasted FOREVER in the cupboard in one of those bags. Keep the vegetables in the drawer and google for suggestions on different vegetable storing methods.

nonlinear
03-03-2006, 05:46 PM
LOL how can you expect it to stay fresh longer than 5 days? it's a dead plant man.

just buy less produce and go to market more often

EDIT: and as for bread, i usually buy bread and put it in the freezer, and just take out what I need, put in plastic bag and defrost. Good as new, and it lasts hella long in the freezer.