PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first car, need help.

stantheman1313
02-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Ok, im turning 16 soon, and, spoiled or not, am getting exactly 10,000 dollars for my first car + whatever i earn during the summer (which won't be alot). So, im deffenatly planning to buy a used car (maybe 2 or 3 years old, maybe 4) and im stuck between several options. The way im going to buy my car is at a car dealer auction (my dads friend is a dealer so he'll take us there), and im looking for something reliable, fast, and awesomely cool looking ;). From what i've heard, correct me if im wrong, but a used car (new @ 20,000$) will cost about 10 grand after 3 years. Again im not sure. So what i was looking for is some suggestion on what is a good option. The cars i was thinking about were Acura RSX (maybe type S), Nissan Altima, Mazda 6 or 3, maybe the VW Jetta (new model), or the Honda civic (also new model).
So please help me decide because i don't wanna be stuck we a crappy for my college years.
Thanks.

Darkane
02-28-2006, 05:44 PM
for that price range a Type S is outa the question. Try for a Sentra SE-R Vspec. Or buy a 99+ Mustang GT if you can. Will be one of the fastest car at that price range.

EmJay
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
check out http://www.autotrader.ca/default.aspx for some prices of used/new cars. Most imports dont usually drop by half in the first 3 years unless you plan on getting a kia or something i dunno but check that out for prices and good luck with finding your new car.

emjay

s3v3n
02-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by stantheman1313
Ok, im turning 16 soon, and, spoiled or not, am getting exactly 10,000 dollars for my first car + whatever i earn during the summer (which won't be alot). So, im deffenatly planning to buy a used car (maybe 2 or 3 years old, maybe 4) and im stuck between several options. The way im going to buy my car is at a car dealer auction (my dads friend is a dealer so he'll take us there), and im looking for something reliable, fast, and awesomely cool looking ;). From what i've heard, correct me if im wrong, but a used car (new @ 20,000$) will cost about 10 grand after 3 years. Again im not sure. So what i was looking for is some suggestion on what is a good option. The cars i was thinking about were Acura RSX (maybe type S), Nissan Altima, Mazda 6 or 3, maybe the VW Jetta (new model), or the Honda civic (also new model).
So please help me decide because i don't wanna be stuck we a crappy for my college years.
Thanks.

youre not gonna have a lot of choices with 10k if you are looking for a car thats only 2 or 3 yrs old. i liked the mazda3 when i test drove one a yr or so ago; i think it would be a nice 1st car. however, i think even finding a mazda3 for 10k might be cutting it close. i doubt youll find many of the cars listed for under 10k.

Goblin
02-28-2006, 09:12 PM
With ten grand, your looking at

1990- 1998

ninjak84
02-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Search one of the site sponsors too. They have a really small inventory, but it grows every day :)

www.publicautomotives.com

barbarian
02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Make sure to have 20% or so of the purchase price for maintenance, and also make sure to have it thoroughly inspected.

saiyajin
02-28-2006, 10:04 PM
he is also from the USofA guys :dunno:

Z24_3.1.
02-28-2006, 10:05 PM
1st car buddy go for something simple trust me lol i did a bad move when i got my 1st car but anyways just make sure its the right car for u

Unknown303
02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Get a CRX with a engine swap. And give me some money. My parents present to me when i turned 16 was to beat me less.

vtec4life
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
just get the newest prelude u can get for the money(97 and up).....DOHC VTEC... drive it and youll know why

BigDL
03-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Get a cheap older car and drive it for a few years before spending your money on a good car. Ill bet something will happen in the first few years of driving especally in the winter with the very crappy calgary drivers.

lastprodigy
03-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Do you guyss not read???? He is in the states so he can easily get an RSX if he saves another 4-5K...

Aleks
03-01-2006, 12:39 PM
10K + a few grand over the summer can get him a sweet car in the USA. Remember cars are way cheaper down there. So basically all the links in the thread are useless to him.

alloroc
03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I would save your cash for a while yet. Buy yourself an older civic or corolla for a grand or so.

Most every new driver does something stupid in their first year or two of ownership and turns thier rides into beaters anyway.

Get some driving experience under your belt, then spend the cash on a nice ride.

aram1000
03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
i would go with a civic or integra, good simple cars, lots of potential, plus as said before you want your first car to be simple and not too over the top, 4 months after getting my first car i got in an accident, plus you got your whole life to buy cars, also u don't wanna run the risk of break ins or getting it keyed up

arian_ma
03-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Get a bimer :thumbsup:
I remember when I was in Cali I saw 328's going for 7k