PDA

View Full Version : Suby Dealerships. *New Scooby-pilot soon*

th3_t00lm4n
02-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, I haven't posted much on beyond, but that will probably be changing in the near future.
I am not new to customizing/modifying (first gen s-10, 64 Chevy II(Nova) currently sitting in my garage)

I am graduating soon and have a pretty solid job lined up (crossing fingers....I'll know for sure this weekend when I fly out for the interview thingy) and I'll be selling my s-10 and I will be in the market for an 06 WRX. I am still having a tough time deciding on color though...lol
I seem to be spending an exorbitant amount of time lurking nasioc recently, making a mod list hehe.:thumbsup:

Anyhow, I am not really sure if this is an appropriate question to ask..........
but I was wondering about all of your opinions regarding the dealerships in town or near Calgary. Good experiences? Bad experiences? Concerns? Recommended salesmen/saleswomen? If this is out of line.......I apologize in advance, and just consider this my introduction.:)

I am looking forward to getting my darned car and getting to know you guys :)
-Matt-

dino_martini
02-28-2006, 09:14 PM
My experiance is pretty limited with Subarus. We went looking at Subarus as we need a new car and stoped in at Centar Subaru. The sales guy was quick to come up to us and start talking , seems like a good place. good luck!

snowboard
02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
My experiance is pretty limited with Subarus. We went looking at Subarus as we need a new car and stoped in at Centar Subaru. The sales guy was quick to come up to us and start talking , seems like a good place. good luck!

its hard to have expereince with alot of cars, when you dont have your license.

I dont know much about the subby dealers here in town but i do know i love the '06 and the past 2gens drove great so i cant see this one being any worse!

TeamBestBud
02-28-2006, 09:32 PM
STi:drool:

vincent-h
02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I personally bought my 04(written off) and my 05 RS from subaru of calgary. I found their service, and price better than centaur. The people at centaur wouldn't even look at me maybe cuz i look like a young punk or something but i literally stood int eh middle of the showroom in centaur for like 20 minutes and 3 sales guy sat like a few meters away i saw them look at me and they jsut kept chatting. no till i apporach them and asked them to help me that they did and even then you can tell when they aren't interested in selling to you. I work in sales and i know when their eager to help and when their not.

one guy at subaru of calgary is terry bharti he's reknown for selling a few subbies to a few of teh guys on these boards and a few other ones mention my name and maybe he can hook you up as well, but who know no guarantees haha

gl on the shopping and also maybe try red deer they seem liek nice people gave us free pins when we asked for a meet there :P

black_2.5RS
03-01-2006, 12:21 AM
I bought my Impreza at Centaur. Overall, it was a very good, quick and efficient experience. I didn't get attention right away but I believe I went in on a Saturday - which is their busiest day and there might not have been a rep available at the time.

I would go back there again.

mac_82
03-01-2006, 12:25 AM
When I was in Calgary I delt with Subaru of Calgary, only the service side though. The were ok, got the job done but nothing stood as a being overly superior or overly negative.

Since moving to Edmonton a couple months ago I love Rally Subaru, and they are great to deal with. I know that they are a bit of a drive from Calgary, but if you need to order aftermarket parts, etc, Rally is the place to go.

00redLUDE
03-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Stay away from Dale Maciver from Subaru of Calgary in sales, complete idiot. Don't know if he is still there or not but wouldn't recommend him for anything.

joegrang
03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I bought my 05 WRX from Subaru of Calgary and I found them to be very helpful. I would definitely recommend them.
Servicing and every thing is good about them. And I have had no problems with the car. AWD is lovely in the snow... I've had to bail out my folks a few times this year already...

th3_t00lm4n
03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
awesome.....thanks for the input guys. It is definitely helpful. Anyone else with some thoughts?

That.Guy.S30
03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
i bought both at centuar and subaru of calgary. from the same salesman, hubert kwong(sp), great guy. i find that i get a little more respect (saleswise) at subaru of calgary than i do at centaur. gl.

RickDaTuner
03-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by th3_t00lm4n
awesome.....thanks for the input guys. It is definitely helpful. Anyone else with some thoughts?

dont even bother with buying a subaru here in Calgary, get your financing and Head south for your WRX purchase, buying cars here in Canada with the current Exchange rate is soooo not worth it:dunno:

That.Guy.S30
03-01-2006, 06:16 PM
^^ thats alot of trouble just to buy a car.

Drew
03-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Something else you should be aware of is the troubles that people in Calgary seem to have with the work done by both Subaru dealerships in town.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69406

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54801&highlight=centaur+subaru

tjtd00
03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
bought mine from subaru calgary, Terry was fantastic, went in one day to look, saw a 04 sti on the lot in the used department, asked if i could drive it, he gave me a plate and the keys, (photoed the I.D.) and sent me on my merry way...came back a year later and because the budget would not afford the 05 sti I got the straight up wrx, he remebered me and had the deal done fast and treated me awesome....

Have never used the service department (as I run an auto shop) but have not heard very many favorable comments about either of the sooby dealers in town

Good luck with the new ride, you'll wonder how you ever lived without

th3_t00lm4n
03-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Drew
Something else you should be aware of is the troubles that people in Calgary seem to have with the work done by both Subaru dealerships in town.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69406

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54801&highlight=centaur+subaru
hmmm.....interesting stuff. From the looks of it, Rally Subaru seems to be a pretty solid outfit. Only problem: Regular maintenance in Edmonton?! :barf:

th3_t00lm4n
03-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by tjtd00
bought mine from subaru calgary, Terry was fantastic, went in one day to look, saw a 04 sti on the lot in the used department, asked if i could drive it, he gave me a plate and the keys, (photoed the I.D.) and sent me on my merry way...came back a year later and because the budget would not afford the 05 sti I got the straight up wrx, he remebered me and had the deal done fast and treated me awesome....

Have never used the service department (as I run an auto shop) but have not heard very many favorable comments about either of the sooby dealers in town

Good luck with the new ride, you'll wonder how you ever lived without Yeah, I get the picture that the sales-people in Calgary are good, but the service departments leave something to be desired.

benyl
03-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^^ thats alot of trouble just to buy a car.

You can buy an STi for less than a loaded WRX. why wouldn't you go south of the boarder?

$1.13 today.

$31K USD = $35K CDN

After taxes and fees, you could get a 2006 STi for ~$40K CDN.

A CDN spec WRX is ~$35K. out the door, ~$38K.

for $2K more, you can get an STi.

th3_t00lm4n
03-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl

You can buy an STi for less than a loaded WRX. why wouldn't you go south of the boarder?

$1.13 today.

$31K USD = $35K CDN

After taxes and fees, you could get a 2006 STi for ~$40K CDN. There has to be some issue with importing the thing into Canada though(Duty etc..)? If not, :burnout: on to The US!

benyl
03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
There is 6% duty. My prices include duty.

That.Guy.S30
03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
^^ thats a good idea. how does financing work?

still seems like alot of trouble. does save you money tho

th3_t00lm4n
03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/Import.html\

hmmm.......seems like a fair pain in the ass. I don't think financing would work too well either. oh well.

benyl
03-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Financing is like financing any other car. You go to a bank or a broker and say you want to buy a US car and bring it back. You finalize the price of the car with a dealer. Go to the bank and get a draft in US dollars for the exact amount for the car.

Fly down, deliver the check, drive the car back. Easy as punch.

There are plenty of threads on it in the canadian forum of nabisco.

Here is a recent thread from beyond.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107279

meh, if you want to pay more for the same car, go ahead... lol

xrayvsn
03-02-2006, 11:59 PM
That is quite the price difference!

Let's see, MSRP on an 06 WRX
Cdn $35,495
US $24,495 = 27,925 (with a 1.14 exchange)
Add the 6.1% Duty = $29,627

Before you add the GST which you would have to pay for both anyway, the difference is $6,000! Even if you factor in the necessary paperwork, A/C tax, tire tax, and out of province inspection it is still going to come out less. You would just have to deal with the speedo and odometer reading miles rather than km.

Goblin
03-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
That is quite the price difference!

Let's see, MSRP on an 06 WRX
Cdn $35,495
US $24,495 = 27,925 (with a 1.14 exchange)
Add the 6.1% Duty = $29,627

Before you add the GST which you would have to pay for both anyway, the difference is $6,000! Even if you factor in the necessary paperwork, A/C tax, tire tax, and out of province inspection it is still going to come out less. You would just have to deal with the speedo and odometer reading miles rather than km.

im pretty sure you can change to KM and KM/h. :D

dino_martini
03-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

its hard to have expereince with alot of cars, when you dont have your license.

I dont know much about the subby dealers here in town but i do know i love the '06 and the past 2gens drove great so i cant see this one being any worse!

Wells, License in a bit...woot.

pinoyhero
03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud
STi:drool:
:werd:

xrayvsn
03-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Goblin

im pretty sure you can change to KM and KM/h. :D

Without swapping out the cluster? Very intrigued by this.

benyl
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
you can swap the faces, but the odometer would still read in miles.

I wouldn't bother. The minor scale reads in kms anyway.

QuasarCav
03-04-2006, 11:28 AM
What is this going to do for resale?

RickDaTuner
03-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
What is this going to do for resale?

haha you mean what has it already done for reasale....

well considering the CADM models come with a few more features, they tend to hold their value very well compared to their American counterparts>
In terms of it local market, STis' unfortunately Depreciate pretty darn Quick.
Blue book value on a 05 with 40k on the ODO is around 32k pretty darn annoying!
I'm kinda glad at this point that i did Finance leasing and got the deal i did, because at the end of my four year term i think I'm giving it back... an getting me a GT-R.. from the states of course.. . :poosie:

benyl
03-04-2006, 11:54 AM
yeah, mine is going to be sold off when I pick up my Evo or decide to get the BMW 335i or a used Z06... from the states.

xrayvsn
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
So what do you guys think about highway driving during the break-in period?

I have done some investigating, and it looks like most dealers in Washington and Montana have at least 1 STi in their inventory. Without contacting any of the dealers to see what kind of a price I can get, they list approx $35,000 USD with a few options (usually boost gauge, short-throw shifter and electrochromatic mirror). Unfortunately the dealerships are at least 4 hours highway drive away from a Canadian urban center (Vancouver or Calgary), where I can properly break the car in.

Has anyone actually done this with a new car? I know a number of you have imported used USDM cars.

benyl
03-06-2006, 12:16 AM
two words.

HARD BREAK-IN

xrayvsn
03-06-2006, 01:44 PM
As in, it's hard to break in because you want to get into boost asap? Or, a highway break-in is hard on the car?:confused:

benyl
03-06-2006, 02:09 PM
no as in, beat the car down as soon as you get it.

There are a bunch of threads on nasioc about hard and normal break in.

Oil consumption is the same whether you do hard or normal.

hard break in is what I would recommend.

93hustler
03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Wow this got off topic in a hurry. As far as Suby dealerships take a drive to Edmonton and go to Rally Subaru for excellent service.