PDA

View Full Version : Computer rebooting at the Windows Load screen?

Weapon_R
03-01-2006, 06:40 PM
My other computer is giving me some problems. It gets to the Windows XP start screen and then reboots again. I've tried safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, etc, but i'm not having any luck no matter what I do.

Does anyone know why this is the problem and how I can fix it?

eblend
03-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Do you have lame shaw secure installed or dsl equivalent from telus? If so eventually it will fuck up your copmuter and you will need to do 2 things, format and reload or you cna try and do the repair. Pop your winxp disk in, boot off disk, say you want to install windows, then it will search for all windows installs on your copmuter. then press R and it will do a repair. Remember you DO NOT want to go into the recovery console, you have to go past that screen, eventually it will give you the option to repair windows. Do that and most of the time it fixes those problems. I do windows repairs all the time at work (work as a tech) and 95% of the time it is successful, and best of all your data is all intact

RX-7_TWINTURBO
03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Same thing happed to me a few months ago..My hard drive had kicked the bucket

frostyda9
03-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Reset the BIOS first, and then and check the PSU

Shrad
03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
This is probably the vaguest problem you can get.

I'll list things that are likely:
1) Your harddrive is dying, dead sectors
2) Your bootsector is broken
3) Your Windows XP installation borked
4) You installed multiple programs that crossreference .dll's, causing a device conflict
5) Your CPU is instable (potentially dying)
6) Your CPU is overheating
7) Your PSU is overheating/dying
8) Your RAM is instable (potentially dying)
9) You've got virii

and the list goes on...

Do you occasionally get into Windows? Or does it reset every time?

The easiest thing would be to do a Windows repair, don't use the command prompt one because you'll probably fuck up your OS worse.

Weapon_R
03-02-2006, 06:57 PM
It just started happening a couple of days ago. Prior, it would load windows and function fine.

I already reset the BIOS, no help there.

cidley69
03-03-2006, 07:35 AM
i had a similiar problem. when i went to the BIOS page, it told me:

my System/PCI (MHz) frequency combination may be wrong and to check the hardware preferences to see if they are correct.

does anyone know where i find out what setting is the correct one?

there is a huge list of choices.

Rocky
03-03-2006, 08:54 AM
My other computer is giving me some problems. It gets to the Windows XP start screen and then reboots again. I've tried safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, etc, but i'm not having any luck no matter what I do.

Does anyone know why this is the problem and how I can fix it?
The screen with the loading bar right?

I had the same problem, exact same actually. Took it to some people, but they couldn't do anything with it. I'd try a Win XP disc, otherwise... you may be out of luck >.< But the Win XP disc is by far your best bet.

Weapon_R
03-03-2006, 10:33 AM
yes exactly, it's where the loading bar is. What was the problem in the end?

ricosuave
03-03-2006, 10:52 AM
you, and others, likely have a bsod, and it is appearing because whenever some hardware doesnt play nice, it crashes, giving you the bsod.

now, there is a setting in system properties > advanced > startup and recovery > system failure > automatically restart that when you get a bsod, it automatically restarts the computer.

if you untick that setting, it will show the bsod in all its error code goodness, and at least help you try and track it down.

for all of you that havent done this, do it now to avoid this problem.

unfortunately, that doesnt help you right now, so what i would do is open the side case so that lots of air can get in there, remove everything except the basics, hd vid card and one stick of ram. boot windows and see if it loads ok. keep adding one thing and reboot until you find your problem.

my personal bet is that the hd is crapping, the ps in crapping, or the cpu and/or vid card is overheating.

rico

Shrad
03-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Wow, you've listed almost everything, congrats. Might as well say the motherboard is crapping, and the case is crapping too. Oh and the RAM.

Xtrema
03-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Boot in safe mode

1) scan the HD for errors

2) Reinstall video driver

3) Reinstall ATA driver

Merkur
03-07-2006, 10:53 AM
If you know what type of hard-drive you have get the utility from the manufacturer, like seagate or maxtor. Boot that from floppy or cd and run there program to check your hard drive.

I had a similair issue with a clients computer and the utility told me that the hard drive had physical problems that would require a new HD.

Of course you need another computer to get the program.

Ben

grideTLS
03-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I know how to fix it but the procedure is tricky. Send me a PM with your contact information and I will assist you.

Cheers.

Rocky
03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
yes exactly, it's where the loading bar is. What was the problem in the end?
No idea. Ended up getting a new computer. Attempting to access the old HD from this new computer shows the old HD is totally fux0red. Since we have the same problem I think that it's either the same virus... or just two defunct HD's.

Sorry I can't offer a fix >.< Try an Win XP disc if you can find one, do a repair.

Weapon_R
03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Well I fixed the problem but I think I was luckier than most - all I needed was a format :)

Shrad
03-10-2006, 02:24 AM
You just mashed the fly with a hammer. You don't know what the actual problem was.

bigbadboss101
03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
I might have the same problem. Computer was working last night, then I reboot it and it would tel me autochk not found. Then the next blue screen says system shut down.

I boot from A: and try to run setup.exe on my Toshiba XP disc and it say cannot run from dos prompt.

So, can I get away with not doing format? I have lot of stuff on there that haven't been backed up in 1 year.

Mr_John
03-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Well I fixed the problem but I think I was luckier than most - all I needed was a format :)

i had the exact same problem about 3 months ago
it was annoying not knowing the problem, but a relief that all it took was a reformat to fix

Weapon_R
03-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Shrad
You just mashed the fly with a hammer. You don't know what the actual problem was.

You are right, but it's hard for me to diagnose something when I can't even get into the computer at all. As soon as it would start the windows loading screen, it would reboot - no matter what option I tried (safe mode, safe mode command prompt, last known settings etc etc). Regardless, it's my secondary comp and nothing important was on it anyways so I just formatted and reinstalled windows.