PDA

View Full Version : sequential - sport shift / tiptronic

kane584
03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
how does this system work ?
im just wondering cause theres no clutch, is it basically just an automatic car ?

example :

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=1368458

thanks

t-im
03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
it's an auto car that enables you to change gears on your own - it's gimmicky and I never use it in my car

A2VR6
03-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes it's an automatic car, and most systems out there are laggy when you shift gears, in other words, it takes noticibly longer to change gears. There are systems out there that are virtually lag free and can change gears faster than a normal person can (like BMW's SMG and VW/Audi's DSG).

zzdoey
03-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Yes it's an automatic car, and most systems out there are laggy when you shift gears, in other words, it takes noticibly longer to change gears. There are systems out there that are virtually lag free and can change gears faster than a normal person can (like BMW's SMG and VW/Audi's DSG). The high-end systems like SMG are not simply slushbox automatics, they're basically manual transmissions with a computer actuated clutch.

Zero102
03-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Yep, DSG is completely different from a tiptronic automatic.
I hate the tiptronic on my 05 golf, the only thing it's good for is it's nice and quick to make it hold a gear on a hill, other than that I never use it.
A DSG would be much nicer.

keroppi
03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey, that is a Sport Shift system on Prelude, which I had one before.
Like everybody above already says, it's an automatic box basically. But it's not a bad 'semi-auto' system in my opinion and experience -- unlike many other 'manual-like automatic sequential shift' (e.g., BMW's steptronic, Audi's tiptronic (not DSG), etc.), Honda's sport shift is more 'manual' -- in the sense that you can actually hold the gear until it cuts fuel (I'm actually not sure if it's still like that in newer Honda cars like TSX, TL, etc., but it's like that in the 5th Gen prelude)
So it doesn't feel like an automatic that ends up it's still the computer to control your shifting... you would get more control and most of the time you know which gear you're in. You can hold the gear all the way to redline and really revs your Prelude... that's pretty fun. :)
In terms of response time, of course it's not comparable to DSG, SMG, etc., but in my opinion, it's still pretty fast... perhaps about .5 second of delay. That's at least much better than MB's auto-stick.

HRD2PLZ
03-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Acura's sequential sport shift is junk :thumbsdow I never use it...

Xtrema
03-06-2006, 11:56 AM
You can get DSG on the new GTI as a $1400 option. I only wish SMG would make it to the lower models of BMWs besides the M series.

Everything else besides these 2 just pretenders. Although Acura have cut down the lags on shifts with new versions, it's still slow for people who like to roll his own gears.

Evro
03-07-2006, 12:29 AM
5 speed :thumbsup:

snowboard
03-07-2006, 12:32 AM
The BMW tiptronic isnt that good...
its still pretty laggy...
for the 3 series at least