PDA

View Full Version : Mazda JDM Engine

hjr
03-15-2003, 07:59 PM
Whats the diff between a USDM RX7 turbo 2 engine (i think 13b) and a JDM Turbo 2 motor?

thanks

hjr
03-15-2003, 09:13 PM
No mazda folks here????

theken
03-15-2003, 10:09 PM
i don't know?? (just thought i would post something for you) maybe the jdm one is faster, better and stronger :D

EternalRage
03-15-2003, 11:38 PM
The difference is emmisions control and horsepower, the JDM engine has more horsepower,

if you get a tru JDM engine it will also have really low kilometers,

in japan they also run on higer octane fuel,

92 Teg-B18A
03-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by EternalRage
if you get a tru JDM engine it will also have really low kilometers
hmm, that's a total farce
there's no way to tell how many km's a jdm engine has (or any engine for that matter) unless you get a look at the odometer. It would probably have more horsepower because of the lesser amount of emissions controls like you said though. Oh and just because high octane gas is available doesn't mean that it's ment for a specific engine.

lammer
03-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A

hmm, that's a total farce
there's no way to tell how many km's a jdm engine has (or any engine for that matter) unless you get a look at the odometer. It would probably have more horsepower because of the lesser amount of emissions controls like you said though. Oh and just because high octane gas is available doesn't mean that it's ment for a specific engine.

isn't it true though, that in japn people will dump away their motors after a certain amount of kms/miles because its too old?

persid
03-16-2003, 01:29 AM
AFAIK, there's no real difference between the two other than a few smallish items. But there's a few people on here who know much more about this than I do. If they don't know either, rx7club.com is your daddy.

And the whole dumping motors after xxx km thing is BS AFAIK.

lammer
03-16-2003, 01:40 AM
is it really? i never knew, i heard someone say that they did dump it after _____ kms

whats afaik???

theken
03-16-2003, 01:41 AM
^ they dump they're motors when they are old because after 5 years they have to re-saftied and all that shit, so they just buy a new car and toss out the old. then sell it to americans

Maxt
03-16-2003, 08:12 AM
There is no real difference, the horsepower is rated the same, some of the emmissions and cold start features are missing, but otherwise beyond a couple of odd placed nipples to facilitate right hand drive cars, thats about it....I did notice the pintle caps on the injectors I pulled out of my j-spec were a hell of alot cleaner than the injectors out of my a-spec engines...Max

92 Teg-B18A
03-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by theken
^ they dump they're motors when they are old because after 5 years they have to re-saftied and all that shit, so they just buy a new car and toss out the old. then sell it to americans
:werd: yeah when I was over there you didn't see a lot of older economy cars or cheaper cars driving around. It was something like you said, after a car is X years old then it has to be recertified, safety checked etc which is pretty pricey depending on how much the car is worth. I can't remember how old a car had to be before it has to be recertified though:dunno:

persid
03-16-2003, 02:27 PM
AFAIK = as far as I know

I would think that passing a safety/emissions check would be cheaper than pulling the engine out of the car and installing a new one. In fact, I don't see why they wouldn't simply rebuild the one they have. And finally, 5 years is not enough to really make modern engines run dirty, especially since most cars in Japanese are not driven more than 10,000km/year. So, in conclusion, the whole thing makes zero sense.

The influx of JDM engines can be rationally explained in many other ways, such as crashed cars. I mean, you can buy USDM engines as well and nobody's dumping their engine after a few years around here :)

92 Teg-B18A
03-17-2003, 04:00 PM
yeah, they do pitch their cars after a certain amount of years has gone by (can't remember the actual amount) because the cost of the inspection is more than the car is worth. But it does make sense that the engines coming to NA are from wrecked cars.

But back to the main question of the thread

Originally posted by hjr
Whats the diff between a USDM RX7 turbo 2 engine (i think 13b) and a JDM Turbo 2 motor?