PDA

View Full Version : which is better, falken Ziex ZE512 or Kumho 712's?

4doorj
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
which is better, falken Ziex ZE512 or Kumho 712's?

jdmakkord
03-02-2006, 10:48 AM
The 712's. Falkens tire that would be comparible would be their fk-451.

tirebob
03-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj
which is better, falken Ziex ZE512 or Kumho 712's? If you are considering the 712's, also check out the Nexen N3000. A bit better than the 712's in both wet and dry, with a slightly higher treadwear rating. Really well priced also...

LINK TO NEXEN TIRES (http://www.shopcms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&Itemid=69&option=com_phpshop&category_id=a094d00dbdc6060748abbf6cfc38da2f&product_id=320)

hockeybronx
03-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I can't say anything good or bad about the Kumho 712s, but I have the Falken Ziex 512s on my car for my summer tires and I absolutely love them. They are a pretty stiff, tight tire, and have excellent rain traction as well. I got a killer price from KalTire for them, and I don't think I'll ever own another summer tire.

Two thumbs up for the Falkens from me:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Inthered
03-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Falken 512's are not good. They are very cheap, like $70 each for 14's, but the sidewall is really soft like a dunlop's and don't grip that well. Get a price on the Kumho SPT, they're going to be better than anything you can get in that price range.

Moe Man
03-04-2006, 03:16 PM
you can even step it up a notch with the falkens. there is a higher brand than the 512s

xin
03-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I have ran Kumho 712s before and they are decent for their money. Going to switch to Falken FK451s later in the summer . Currently on BF Gs. Aren't the Falken ZE512s all-season tires?

FatboyTheHungry
03-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I have the FK-451 on my bimmer. Great traction on wet and dry, and not as much noise as the Kumho 712. A Little more expensive, but I think they are worth the money.

92gsr
03-08-2006, 07:15 PM
I would reccomend the Kumho and falken fk451 as good wet dry tires. If you want some wicked tires in the dry toss on a set of falken azenis :thumbsup:

hockeybronx
03-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by xin
Aren't the Falken ZE512s all-season tires?

I believe they are considered a performance all-season, it's the closest thing to strictly summer that I could get for a 15inch rim.

Looks like a lot of people on here don't like them, I couldn't say a bad thing about mine:dunno:

4doorj
03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
thanks for the info guys....haha
still v ery un sure as of right now

seer_claw
03-08-2006, 11:03 PM
I have the Falken's on my car but I only use them as a summer tire. They say all season but they are marginal at best on snowy conditions. They are great in the rain and wet conditions, but are not the grippiest tires on a launch but then are fairly quiet noise wise and are decently stiff. I like them. :thumbsup:

RB25DET
04-03-2006, 04:40 PM
ZX 512's are definately a mediocre tire at best. Go with the kumho's, i have heard good things.

B17a
04-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I have 512's, good value.:thumbsup:

sleeperstang
04-03-2006, 06:07 PM
My Falken Ziex tires aren't performing as Z-rated tires should, they feel more like H-rated instead...looks like they'll stiff u on the quality for a cheaper price...go for the Kumhos IMO.

GTS Jeff
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Kumho's are what I'm using right now. They're nothing spectacular. The sidewalls aren't that stiff, they don't grip worth shit, and they don't wear as well as everyone says they do.

Mine are at 40% after 1 summer of street driving and a few autocrosses.

xin
04-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

I believe they are considered a performance all-season, it's the closest thing to strictly summer that I could get for a 15inch rim.

Looks like a lot of people on here don't like them, I couldn't say a bad thing about mine:dunno:

Oh alright. My 712s only lasted only two summer seasons, but that had more to do with my toe/camber more than anything else.

frozenrice
04-03-2006, 09:29 PM
With the Falken ZX-512s, the warranty is shorter on low profiles. Something like 50,000kms vs. 100,000 on regular profile. I'm not sure why though. My experience with the 512's is that they're not a bad tire for the money. After switching from my winter rims and tires (stock size with Hankook W404s), the Falkens are definately a lot noisier but handle tons better. For all seasons, they are marginally good at best. I didn't switch to winters in time and got caught last fall during the first snow and the Falkens sucked for traction.

AllGoNoShow
04-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Just so you guys know, 451's are now discontinued and the 452's will replace it. I forget what has changed on them but supposed to be a better tire overall

tonytheshovel
04-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Has anybody had any exprience with the Kumho 711's? I'm trying to decide between the Falken ZE512's and Kumho 711's for my stock Honda Civic. I don't do any racing but I want a decent tire that is decent in the wet and not to loud. The prices I got were these:

Falken ZE512's $95.00 each

Kumho 711's $83.00 each

and also these from Big-O (they said it was there house brand, but they don't look very "sport")

Mirada Sport gtx $94.00 each

What would you go for in this price range? Any opinions would be nice because I'm really stuck and really want to get my summer rims back on my car. Oh and I don't need them for winter because I have winter tires.

ONS
04-20-2006, 07:36 PM
I have the ZE512's, and I will tell you that they are a good tire for the price, but just good. The treadwear on them isn't great. Couldn't tell you about the 711's.

WWJAI
04-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by tonytheshovel
Has anybody had any exprience with the Kumho 711's? I'm trying to decide between the Falken ZE512's and Kumho 711's for my stock Honda Civic. I don't do any racing but I want a decent tire that is decent in the wet and not to loud. The prices I got were these:

Falken ZE512's $95.00 each

Kumho 711's $83.00 each

and also these from Big-O (they said it was there house brand, but they don't look very "sport")

Mirada Sport gtx $94.00 each

What would you go for in this price range? Any opinions would be nice because I'm really stuck and really want to get my summer rims back on my car. Oh and I don't need them for winter because I have winter tires.

I guess tire prices are different everywhere. Must suck to be in BC I guess. You can pick up ZE512's here for $81.00 each at Speedtech and $83.00 each at CMS. I just recently picked up a full set of ZE512's for a little under $350. Still haven't riden on them yet but lookin forward to see how well they work...

these prices were for 15' 195/50/r15

tonytheshovel
04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
the thing is I can get the Falken Ze512s in vancouver for less even with the shipping at tiretrends.com, but I don't want to get used when it comes to a warranty issue because I didn't buy them from the tire shop that's installing them.

The prices I gave were from local tire shops (Kaltire (ZE512s $95 each), and OK Tire (711s $83 each)), do you think these prices are to high? am I getting ripped off?

$87.95 with shipping (ZE512's from tiretrends.com)

think I'm getting ripped off?

QuasarCav
04-21-2006, 01:50 PM
the thing is I can get the Falken Ze512s in vancouver for less even with the shipping at tiretrends.com, but I don't want to get used when it comes to a warranty issue because I didn't buy them from the tire shop that's installing them.

The prices I gave were from local tire shops (Kaltire (ZE512s $95 each), and OK Tire (711s $83 each)), do you think these prices are to high? am I getting ripped off?

$87.95 with shipping (ZE512's from tiretrends.com)

think I'm getting ripped off?

I paid less than that for 712's.

4doorj
04-21-2006, 01:55 PM
ok i had the 512's put on... i am very very happy with them:thumbsup:

tonytheshovel
05-05-2006, 05:25 PM
well I got the Falken ZE512's finally. It took a 1 week and a half to get them in, but they're pretty damn good so far, they seem to seem a bit softer then the no names I had on there before but that was probably because the no names had no trend left on them and they felt nice and stiff. Haven't tried them on rain yet. They look really good on the car. Cost me $500 for everything with taxes at Kaltire, and they even scraped one of my rims along the edge about 5 inches long, the metal shavings are still stuck to it. I'm not sure if I should complain, they probably won't do anything since that partiacular rim was scratched up aready anyway, plus they'll just piss me off when they tell me there's nothing they can do. I decided not to go with the Kumho's because I've now heard from a couple of different sources that they're loud, and wear fast. So that's it.

Tha VZA
05-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Kaltire, and they even scraped one of my rims along the edge about 5 inches long, the metal shavings are still stuck to it. I'm not sure if I should complain, they probably won't do anything since that partiacular rim was scratched up aready anyway, plus they'll just piss me off when they tell me there's nothing they can do.

which Kal Tire may i ask...pm'ing me is fine

i work at one and if anything get's damaged which is our fault...rims, studs, lugnuts, hubcaps....anything that is something we could have avoided we take care of the customer and comp all replacement parts/labour

if they scratched your wheel...and it wasn't written on the work order that it came with that scratch, you deserve to get them fixed at Kal Tire's cost

give them a call

ciao

Inzane
05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
You have to compare apples to apples.

The ZE-512 is a "performance" all-season tire.
The Kumho 712 is a max or ultra performance summer tire.

Two different classes of tire.

For all the people saying the ZE-512 is bad or mediocre, what are you comparing it to?? Because its actual competition according to tire class/category are tires like: the Dunlop Sport A2, Yokohama Avid V4/H4, Bridgestone RE950, Bridgestone Turanza ...etc. Tires like that!

And for those that read consumer reports, a couple years ago the ZE-512 cleaned up in a big comparo. Out of 15-20 tires in the above mentioned group the ZE-512 took 1ST PLACE. The RE950 was a bit better than the Falken in a couple performance areas but it took 2nd or 3rd in that group only because it lagged in the snow/ice categories.

But to say the ZE-512 sucks, relative to its peers, is questionable IMO.

Anyway, I haven't personally tried this tire, but just ordered some for my daily driver Sentra. For 3 season duty (spring/summer/fall). We'll see how I fare with them and then whether I rant or rave about them.

tonytheshovel
05-06-2006, 12:36 AM
OK, I should clarify, I'm not bad mouthing Kaltire, I'm sure they don't normally scratch rims, and they seem to have a really good warranty and good service in general. I haven't even talked to them about it, I thought I would tell them when I go back for a re-torque in few more kms, so it's possible they will settle the issue without any problem at all.

The reason I wasn't in a hurry to complain was because the rim has a few scratches on it already, I slid into a curb a few winters ago before I had winter rims and tires. Since the rim isn't really in stellar condition to start with I wouldn't expect them to replace it, so I didn't really think anything that could be done if I complain.

I will definitely let them know when I go back for the re-torque though, just to see what they say I suppose.

tonytheshovel
05-12-2006, 11:12 PM
so I went back to Kal tire and to my surprise the guy immediately offered to get the rim refinished after he inspected the damage, even though the rim already has tons of scratches on it from before, that's some amazing service! Of course it was obvious they had done the damage there was still metal fillings. Anyway I decided against getting it refinished because it would take at least a week in and a half and, naturally, my car would be missing a wheel for at least a week and a half, plus the other 3 aren't in stellar shape anyway, and I would have one shiny rim in perfect shape and the rest would be messed up, just seemed like to much trouble. Instead he oftered me any other service they offer at Kal tire for free, I went with a free alighnment, which I need anyway. This is one of the best companies I've delt with period, I was amazed that he immediately offered to get it refinished, I would recomend them to anyone looking into getting new tires or rims, they might cost a bit more but I think it's worth it now.

tonytheshovel
05-12-2006, 11:13 PM
oh ya and the Falkens are awesome so far and they look great on the rims and car.