PDA

View Full Version : AE86 is it to far gone? help need advice

Hud
03-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Is there a point when it is to late to restore a old car. I bought a 85 carolla a couple months ago and now I think it may not be worth fixing. When I took this car for a test drive I was hooked by the fun factor of this car and bought it on the spot 1000 bucks. I was very excited and took the wife for a ride but only one because she was so grossed out by the interior (filthy) that she would not get in again. I thought this would be a good first project car to teach myself a thing or two about body work and painting but after ride with wife I proceded to tear out the interior. Guess what I found Holes ,Large ones through wheel wells, I also broke the mounting points for seats when removing them due to rust. So now I cant even drive the car. I was thinking about removing motor tranny and shoping for a little cleaner one to stat with . What do you guys think need help

CryoCarnage
03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
if you want to spend 5000+ bucks gettign it just driveable, go ahed. id suggets gettign a chassis form across the border.

moe007
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
no dont do it man wate of time and money

Hud
03-03-2006, 05:03 PM
How do I find chassis across border

JDMAE86
03-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Dont bother spending money on this car, by the time your done youll be into for at least 10K. You might aswell buy a JDM AE86 or a car from the US. Building a AE86 is very expensive and sometimes not even worth it. IMO :D

CryoCarnage
03-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Hud
How do I find chassis across border
www.club4ag.com a loot there.

rith
03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Oh man, more doriftooooo initial D hysteria.. \

:drama: :drama: :zzz: :drool: :rolleyes:

Dont' bother fixing it up if the exterior is crap, interior is crap.
Get a car that has good interior or exterior, not both in crappy condition unless you don't like money.

Hud
03-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey I was just looking @ the car "Junglematic" sold and it looked real nice and sold for like 4500 so maybe u guys are right I think I will be patient and look for a nice one

Cueman
03-03-2006, 11:19 PM
www.dorikaze.com

You'll find lots there.

Q
www.anglefactory.ca
www.qrgarage.ca
www.importconcern.ca

Arthur Dent
03-04-2006, 08:21 PM
those have sweet little engines - swap it into an old Brit roadster like a Spitfire.

@lchy
03-08-2006, 05:57 PM
i take it you aren't comfortable doing some welding on your own? It all depends on what kind of money/time you have. Body work is cheap and easy as long as you have the patients and read enough about what you are doing. If you can have the metal work done then cheap, i would go for it. Just think about the long run and remember if you estimate a $6000 job, save $7500 cause that is what it will likely end up as. Also, read about 'how to paint your car for $50'. My buddy is doing his now,the method seems pretty cool and cheaper than shit.

andres_mt
03-08-2006, 08:25 PM
waste of money.

pulse_crx
03-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by @lchy
i take it you aren't comfortable doing some welding on your own? It all depends on what kind of money/time you have. Body work is cheap and easy as long as you have the patients and read enough about what you are doing. If you can have the metal work done then cheap, i would go for it. Just think about the long run and remember if you estimate a $6000 job, save $7500 cause that is what it will likely end up as. Also, read about 'how to paint your car for $50'. My buddy is doing his now,the method seems pretty cool and cheaper than shit.

haha, ill post before and after of my 'rolla' when Im done.

Zephyr
03-10-2006, 01:33 AM
It's a car that is 20 years old. It takes a lot of time, effort and money to rebuild. If rebuilt cleanly, resale value is decent due to Initial D and comming F&F movie.

carter_prelude
03-11-2006, 10:07 AM
I'd rebuild it if it was in the family for a long time and had sentimental value. Those are sweet little cars, but if you just want the car because its a RWD AE86. Then do yourself a favour and buy one from Japan. Save you alot of time and effort.