PDA

View Full Version : Pest infestation at the U of C?

Zero102
03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Okay, I knew about the mice in Science Theatres, no big deal. However for the last couple days I have been dropping my G/F off at the doors by science theatres/social sciences, where there are 4 meters and 4 university spots. Now, just this week I have seen 3 different pest control companies here.
First the Orkin man was here on monday, I forget who it was on wednesday, but now today there is a company called Abell pest control.... Apparently they have been around since 1924 because they care. I've never heard of them, but regardless, that is inconsequential.
I can understand calling the Orkin man to get rid of mice, but the fact that 3 different companies have been here within 1 week has me a little concerned... to top if all off, the Abell guy put his gloves on, and grabbed his respirator equipment before even going inside.

I'm a little worried, but at the same time glad that I don't presently have any classes in Science Theatres, which is where he's going in now.

Is there some big pest problem that I don't know about?...

t-im
03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Welll..

I know before Christmas that area where First Cup is (and where they have all those walls up) they had an asbestos problem..

Zero102
03-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Wicked... I used to go through there a lot.
No wonder they have all of those tarps up!

urbannomad
03-05-2006, 01:27 AM
there are tons of silverfish in Scurfield Hall:barf: and tons of em!

BerserkerCatSplat
03-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
there are tons of silverfish in Scurfield Hall:barf: and tons of em!

I guess they'll let anyone or anything into the Management faculty these days.

(kidding! :D )

AcuraTl
03-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I guess they'll let anyone or anything into the Management faculty these days.

(kidding! :D )

bahhah i just troll these forums these days, but that my friend deserves applaud!

:clap: :clap:

Zero102
03-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Alright, I'm stupid... what's a silverfish?

D'z Nutz
03-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Alright, I'm stupid... what's a silverfish?

Sounds like you're a Haskayne student... Look around your feet!

Hahaha! I kid, I kid!

Silverfish:
http://www.uidaho.edu/so-id/entomology/Silverfish.jpg

:barf:

ninjak84
03-05-2006, 02:51 PM
UofC = :thumbsdow

I sure wish it wasn't the biggest shit-hole in the West, so that I didn't have to go to school elsewhere. Too bad it is the biggest shit-hole in the West. I'd rather not get an education than go to UofC.

nismodrifter
03-05-2006, 03:09 PM
^haha werd but is it really worth it haha?? you see the amount of freaking snow we got outside, 50cm SNOWNED!!!
I barely...just barely made it out yesterday to get groceries and shit.

ninjak84
03-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Haha no kidding man! Crazy snow the last couple days.... Good thing I live on top of a Subway! I haven't bought groceries at all this year

U of Saskatchewan may not be the best school, but at least I'm not sitting in the aisle with cockroaches. I like it here. Things are nice and quiet. Oh, and really flat :D
I just get ticked hearing U of C stories from my friends, and on the internet. If the school took care of itself and didn't screw the students so bad, I would go there in a heartbeat to stay in Calgary.

Zero102
03-07-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm actually a CPSC/astrophysics major :P

I am just not certain about this university any more...
They are doing this asbestos removal in the hallway by social sciences, and I was in 'First Cup' getting a coffee just a couple mornings ago, and heard a most disturbing conversation between the asbestos removal guys and the inspector. Honestly, I won't repeat it on here.

To top it all off, they have vacuum pumps running all day/night, with filters on the end. I presume this is so they can take the filters back to the lab and tell everybody if they have been exposed to high levels of asbestos.... Isn't there some kind of faster warning???

nismodrifter
03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I was in 'First Cup' getting a coffee just a couple mornings ago, and heard a most disturbing conversation between the asbestos removal guys and the inspector. Honestly, I won't repeat it on here.

Post it foo. You owe me this story for those Nikolev quiz answers I gave you hahaha.

heinz256
03-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Post it foo. You owe me this story for those Nikolev quiz answers I gave you hahaha.

:werd:

You jus made everyone freakin curious lol

samo147
03-07-2006, 11:21 PM
yeah whos its gonna hurt if u post it?

it will all make us more aware of whats going on

Zero102
03-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Hahaha, Nikolev's class... man.
That was a fascinating course to say the least.

Yeah I guess I should share what I heard.

Anyhoo, the one guy was one of the asbestos removal people, and the other guy seemed to be an inspector of some kind.

The removal guy was talking about how they had removed all of the known asbestos in this one section, and he was saying that they found some material behind the asbestos, which also looked to be asbestos based, so they removed it as well, and when they were done, they could see right into the room behind the wall.
Not cool.
He was also saying something about how the asbestos could be blowing around all through the ceiling, but the inspector told him to be quieter (the asbestos guy was starting to get upset). At that point I decided I should limit my exposure to that area, and left.

No lie.
I am now avoiding that entire hallway. I've been around a few houses with exposed asbestos insulation, flooring and the like, and I think I have used up my entire life-time's worth of exposure already, I don't need any more.

nismodrifter
03-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Call the media foo! You pay $5g's+ every year for fee's to get exposed to that kind of bullshit?

Zero102
03-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but what am I going to tell them, I overheard this conversation.....
I have no hard proof, so what I'm doing is trying to help myself, and anybody else who reads this.

I suppose I could call health and wellness and tell them, but I don't know if what I have is enough to get them involved?...

It didn't seem like such a big deal at the time, but it does now.

szw
03-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Just write a quick note, and hopefully somone will check it out. Even just letting someone at the University know, they'll probably pay someone else to check it out or maybe not, but better than doing nothing.

///|ndy
03-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I think they are just putting up a new sitting area, nothing to do with asbestos.:dunno:

kaput
03-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Zero102
03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Read the note stuck on the orange tarp.
They are removing asbestos material on the walls.
They don't set up vacuum pumps and everything for a new seating area ;)

t-im
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ///|ndy
I think they are just putting up a new sitting area, nothing to do with asbestos.:dunno:

Except a sign with small font that says asbestos removal is posted there!!!

Zero102
03-12-2006, 12:30 AM
So, what I have been told so far is that they are already under investigation, apparently there was some kind of problem with their containment during the span of this project. (Real specific, I know)
That makes me feel good about all of this.... :rolleyes:

I walked by the other day, and noticed something... it was supposed to be done days ago. Just like every other U of C project, it has run long. Just like those doors at math sciences which were supposed to be done before september..... At least they finished them before january!

I was talking to a prof of mine, and he told me that he was there late one night, and they were doing some work on his floor in science B. When he went to leave, the asbestos workers were all surprised that he was still there, and started yelling at him about how he was now exposed to asbestos. He was in his office. Needless to say he isn't impressed either.

I don't really feel safe anywhere in the older buildings anymore.

I just realized how off-topic this thread got. It started about a pest infestation, and it ended up about how we are all going to get lung cancer and die from asbestos exposure.

Freeway2k
03-12-2006, 04:39 PM
I find it kind of funny that the new Chaplain's area/CJSW studio that they were building up by the Gauntlet offices STILL ISN'T DONE.

And there's no bathroom up on that floor, either.

MidnightDreamer
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
wtf... i walk that hall to get to my labs lol... we're talking about the connector between ST and ICT right? this is bs... someone should write to the gauntlet... or hey, maybe I will... consider it dun... I'll just post this link up, they might find it interesting...

t-im
03-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by MidnightDreamer
wtf... i walk that hall to get to my labs lol... we're talking about the connector between ST and ICT right? this is bs... someone should write to the gauntlet... or hey, maybe I will... consider it dun... I'll just post this link up, they might find it interesting...

Nooo..it's the connector btw ST + Admin.

matt_calgary
03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
So ICT is pretty much the only safe or "less dangerous" building? I hope that 5g's plus books includes health care coverage.

Zero102
03-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Health coverage is included, but even if you are afflicted with asbestosis, it won't show up for quite some time.

Well, the asbestos abatement has finished, so most of the risk should be gone.

Science B is still sketchy in my books though. Look around, there are air pumps with filters on them on lots of floors....

retro-steve
03-17-2006, 01:23 PM
THAT'S NOT ENOUGH! WE WANT MORE ASBESTOS! MORE ASBESTOS! MORE ASBESTOS!!!

:rofl:

ya lol i'm in class right now looking at that shit

Zero102
03-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Hahaha, good ol' simpsons.....

Rockski
03-17-2006, 07:03 PM
wow all you guys who go to the U of C are gonna get aspesosis and bloat up and die... chalk one up for not continuing education after high school ;)

Zero102
03-18-2006, 03:15 PM
bloat up and die?

Chalk one up for continuing with post-secondary... I know that isn't what happens from asbestosis (not aspesosis) ;)

You would die of lung cancer, or simply suffocate. The asbestos fibres are very thin and long, and once inhaled are virtually impossible to expel from the lungs. Instead, with every breath they will do more and more damage as they stab into your lungs.

No bloating, but lots of death.

Rockski
03-18-2006, 05:03 PM
oh there is bloating, chalk one up for being a tradesman who knows plenty of sprinkler fitters who have thier asbestos ticket and have seen first hand the affects of asbestos ;)

Zero102
03-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Interesting..
I suppose those who have their asbestos tickets and have asbestosis really shouldn't have their asbestos tickets ;) They really shouldn't be training anybody, kind of like 'never trust a skinny chef'.

Aendrew
03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey there, how's it going?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I've been working on an article for the Gauntlet (http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca) regarding Asbestos for some time and only recently noticed this thread.

Couple things first-off:

-Asbestos isn't a problem relegated to Science Theatres. If you go here (http://www.ucalgary.ca/ci/stewardship/pdf/asbestos.pdf) (PDF document, University of Calgary Campus Infrastructure), there's a list of all the buildings that are known to contain asbestos. While there are some places which wouldn't effect students (IE: Bow River Pump Station, Underground Sewer Lines, et cetera), roughly 54% of the places listed contain asbestos. Even more disconcerting is the fact that both Phase-I Residence buildings, Rundle (Where I currently live) and Kananaskis, are marked as being Asbestos locations on that list.

-I don't think that area in Science Theatres is a problem anymore as I peeked behind the boards the other day and noticed that it's pretty much gutted, with any holes in the walls sealed with cement. However, that's not to say the entire building is free of asbestos.

Anyway, I know this is my first post, but if anyone has any information or stories regarding this please either PM, e-mail me, or post them here. I respect anonymity, so if you're not wanting to have a quote attributed to you, that's fine. If it is really significant, however, I may need to contact you via telephone in order to get an ad-verbatim quote.

Also, Zero102: Would you mind telling me which Professor you're referring to? He should definitely be interviewed regarding this.

Thank you!

Zero102
03-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure I should post his name without talking to him first.
As much as I would like to see something come of this all, I don't want to get anybody innocent in trouble, or at least put them in a situation they don't want to be in.

I've seen asbestos abatement projects taking place all over campus, so I believe you when you say that many buildings contain asbestos.
The rule of thumb is, if you don't disturb it, it won't disturb you. So, a layer of asbestos behind a layer of drywall won't harm anybody unless somebody goes digging in there.
That said, if there is construction going on, there is a serious risk for significant quantities of asbestos becoming airborne. Of course you already know this, but I felt it was good general information.
So, most of these buildings that contain asbestos aren't of any concern to 99% of us.

I find that list slightly concerning for one reason..
The Olympic Oval.
That was built in the 80's, wasn't it?... It should not contain asbestos if it was built that recently. I thought it became law in the 70's that it was no longer to be used in new construction.

Aendrew
03-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure I should post his name without talking to him first.
As much as I would like to see something come of this all, I don't want to get anybody innocent in trouble, or at least put them in a situation they don't want to be in.

Entirely understandable. If you could ask him about it, however, I would be most grateful.

What you say regarding the asbestos not being hazardous if not disturbed is true, however, with the University's 40th anniversary initiative, they're wanting to rennovate 40 spaces across campus, many of which will be in these buildings. Due to the nature of these projects, it's likely that much asbestos will be moved and I think ultimately, students should be aware of when there's a possible risk in these areas. My two, anyway.

Regarding the Olympic Oval, to clarify, it doesn't contain asbestos. Only the entries in that list with a star by them are at risk.

Zero102
03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Ah, having a mentally slow day ;)
I get it now.

I as well am concerned about the 40 spaces across campus initiative, since it is the old buildings that are most in need of remodelling.
I will speak with the prof on monday, but my advice to you if he says no, is to take a stroll through science B. IIRC it's the 5th floor that they were doing work on. See what areas they are working on, and perhaps speak with a few profs in those areas?