PDA

View Full Version : Putting subwoofer in inside out.

hussein
03-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I tried searching google and searching this forum but I couldnt get the answer, partially becuase i didnt know what search terms to use:

Why do you sometimes see people with their subwoofer in with the part where you connect the wires on the outside, and the part that is usually facing out, facing in?

Thanks, as I was just wondering what the reasoning behind this is.

Weapon_R
03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Sometimes they sound better

xin
03-03-2006, 06:22 PM
For show as well when the subwoofer has chrome plated or some other fancy basket.

Fosgate R
03-03-2006, 06:26 PM
You also should have a sub that is ok to move in "free air" it's called. most now addays should be pk, but some of the lower brands/models will sound like crap.

carter_prelude
03-03-2006, 06:30 PM
comman question, won't sound different at all. Just looks really cool with you got some audiobahn's with the flaming basket. will sound the exact same to your ears.

Unknown303
03-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah there should be no difference in sound. Just looks sweet when you have an MTC Jackhammer mounted like that.

SWX
03-03-2006, 10:26 PM
for show ^^^^ and thats MTX ;)

Barlow
03-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I have it done in my car, i did it just for show, i got kicker CVR's maybe not as nice as the other brands, (mtx) or whatever, but yeah i just though ti looked better, plus i was planning on a show car but after some dicks ripped my kit off and all i just went back to stock, but kept the system it pounds pretty nicely.

Graham_A_M
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Fosgate R
You also should have a sub that is ok to move in "free air" it's called. most now addays should be pk, but some of the lower brands/models will sound like crap.

This isn't called "free air" in this event, its just simply placing the subwoofer facing the opposite way.

This way, you'll have more airspace inside the box, since the magnet and cone are not taking up space in the box, so expect the sound to change.

This really wont have any drastic effect on the end result, but you'll lose the ability to use the sub as a mid-bass since any mid-bass frequencies will come from the center of the cone, which is now facing inside the box.

But thats it.

hussein
03-04-2006, 12:32 AM
thanks for the replies!!

soupey
03-04-2006, 12:35 AM
i did it with my old setup, its mostly for show, if u have a sealed box u'll notice a difference because of some extra airspace...if its ported...hardly any difference...prettymuch for show tho, if ur gona do it remember to reverse the polarity of ur speakers so that they're in phase wit the rest of ur system

bennyhanna
03-04-2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/5362fbe44901.jpg

Thats what I used to have in my old golf.

SWX
03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

This isn't called "free air" in this event, its just simply placing the subwoofer facing the opposite way.

This way, you'll have more airspace inside the box, since the magnet and cone are not taking up space in the box, so expect the sound to change.

This really wont have any drastic effect on the end result, but you'll lose the ability to use the sub as a mid-bass since any mid-bass frequencies will come from the center of the cone, which is now facing inside the box.

But thats it.
You shoundn't using your sub as a mid-bass in the frist place. It should be tuned some where around 70Hz and down.
As for air space changing it wont make a differance if you build the box expecting the subs to be inverted.

soupey
03-04-2006, 02:35 PM
come to think of it another reason i inverted mine was so that the front of the cone wouldnt get so banged up by anything i put into the trunk...

heres what i had:

hussein
03-06-2006, 12:28 AM
I have a solobaric s10l5. When I finish my better box I was thinking of trying it flipped, but why would I have to switch the polarity so its in phase? Becuase I'm inversing the sub, the polarity needs inversing?

Thanks.

Z24_3.1.
03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
i got 2 12" rockford HE2 ( silver ones ) they look and sound amazing when set out...... ill tryand take pics

eblend
03-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by soupey
i did it with my old setup, its mostly for show, if u have a sealed box u'll notice a difference because of some extra airspace...if its ported...hardly any difference...prettymuch for show tho, if ur gona do it remember to reverse the polarity of ur speakers so that they're in phase wit the rest of ur system

hey what do you mean reverse polarity? if the sub is facing inside the box you mean u need to switch the + and the - around?

soupey
03-06-2006, 07:46 AM
yup

hussein
03-06-2006, 08:45 AM
why though?

bradwatson
03-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Here are some pics of my old car before it got jacked :banghead:

Dammit, looking at these pics really makes me miss my old ride.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/bradwatson/PhotosApril122005008.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/bradwatson/IM001797.jpg

It didnt really make a difference in the sound, its more for looks than sound improvement.

motion
03-06-2006, 10:08 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but yes switching the polarity of an inverted sub will keep it in phase by allowing the the subs Hz pattern to stay the same.

for example, when the sub is installed like it normally should be and you have the amp wired up to the proper + and - terminals, the Hz pattern is going a certain way (the cone is flexing inward first, then outward) instead of flexing outward first and then inward whichwould create a kind of a delay that would sound out-of-synch with the music.

when you invert the sub, you simply flip the polarity around to now compentsate for the inverted sub and keep the Hz pattern the same (still going to flex inward and then outward).

Unknown303
03-06-2006, 11:01 AM
That is correct. It allows the subs to push in pull in the same direction as if they were wired and installed with the cone facing out. Some amps have a setting to flip the hpase 180* mainly on digital amps i've seem.

soupey
03-06-2006, 11:35 PM
prettymuch u'll be cancelling out some midbass if u leave the polarities the normal way...the sub was designed to have the cone facing out...when its reversed...it'll be pushing the sub out while all the other speakers in the car are pushing in...and vice versa...therefore the polarity must be switched....

most ppl cant notice, but some ppl can...especially if u play around with it on a digital amp...ive got an alpine mrd501 and u can digitally invert the phase....some decks also allow the phase to be inverted directly from the deck...

hussein
03-07-2006, 12:30 AM
yea i think i saw that on my deck and didnt know what it was for.
thanks again for the help.

Graham_A_M
03-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by SWX

You shoundn't using your sub as a mid-bass in the frist place. It should be tuned some where around 70Hz and down.
As for air space changing it wont make a differance if you build the box expecting the subs to be inverted.

LMAO! news to me! if your using crap subs, sure its bad idea to use them above 70hz, but most subs out there such as pioneer have such low excursion: they can't even be used as true subs since their low excursion prohibits them from producing the lower notes of 40hz and below. :thumbsup:

Its FINE to use subs as mid-basses. particularily if your using good that can handle that. Mine do 200hz and below.

Someone said something about inverting the polarity going to the terminals, in order the keep the "phase" the same, great idea, thats exactly right.

SWX
03-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

LMAO! news to me! if your using crap subs, sure its bad idea to use them above 70hz, but most subs out there such as pioneer have such low excursion: they can't even be used as true subs since their low excursion prohibits them from producing the lower notes of 40hz and below. :thumbsup:

Its FINE to use subs as mid-basses. particularily if your using good that can handle that. Mine do 200hz and below.

Someone said something about inverting the polarity going to the terminals, in order the keep the "phase" the same, great idea, thats exactly right.
Maybe you should do some more reading, Subs are for sub bass, not mid-bass. Just because the specs of a sub say 20-200Hz doesn't mean x them over at 200, you have to take in to acount the roll off of the x-over. say the sub is x-over @ 70 Hz @ 12db, at 140 Hz the sub will be conciderably quieter, but still playing that 140 Hz, but you shouldn't be able to hear it.