PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam

3G
03-04-2006, 03:20 AM
Has anyone used this stuff, I seen auto value on 32nd started carrying.

Post your experiences with this product

AllGoNoShow
03-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Search, been brought up many times on beyond.

DannyO
03-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Can be really good, it all depends on what condition your engine is in, as this cleans the carbon buildup in your engine, but if your engine is in a bad shape and has bits like gaskets plugged up with carbon, using this would clean them out and your car could end up having problems after (like leaks), makes a crapload of smoke aswell.

I plan to use it in my car come spring sometime, if my engine has a problem, then its just a good reason to take her apart and put better parts in :thumbsup:

hockeybronx
03-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Topics covering seafoam:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65531&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90686&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84250&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78210&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68152&highlight=seafoam

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45211&highlight=seafoam

Zero102
03-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Hahaha, it made the neighbors really mad, and made my 951 run a LOT better.
It had some upside-down rings on one cylinder, and a seriously bad tune on the chips, so it ran ~7.5:1 AFR above 3500RPM. Everything was heavily carboned up, and it idled poorly. After running 2 cans of sea-foam through it, the piston crowns are clean as a whistle, the valves seal properly again, and it runs much better.
Well worth the $30 for 2 cans :)

Seriously though, if you like your neighbors, find somewhere else to use it... because once you suck it into your intake, shut the engine down then restart it in 5 minutes.... get a gas mask.

EstoMax
03-04-2006, 11:58 PM
15$ a can ?:eek:

holy markup batman.. down here their 5$US a can and i have run it in many of my friends' cars. Lots of fun and cars are smoother afterwards for sure

Marko

Ekliptix
03-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Any known places to buy it other then that one Auto Value?

Zero102
03-05-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't know of anywhere else local. It's ~$12.50/can + tax, I gave them $30 cash and didn't get a lot of change back, so IMO it's $30 for 2 cans :)
Perhaps that makes it slightly cheaper, but yeah, if it's $5US/can, we're getting hosed.

JordanEG6
03-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Ive used it...the results were great and my car couldnt run any better than it did. when you use it at first it looks you blew a head gasket or burning MASSIVE oil, to get rid of it, just drive it HARD for about 10 minutes on deerfoot or something. after that it'll run awesome.

Zero102
03-05-2006, 10:29 PM
I made a big mistake with using seafoam...
I let it idle until the smoke stopped, then took it out for a spin. First red light, getting onto memorial I decided to wind it up a bit with a WOT full boost sprint to redline in first.... After I grabbed second and straightened out, I looked in my mirror, and realized that all of the traffic behind me had disappeared. Talk about a smoke screen!
It was worse than when it was idling right after re-starting.

Definately keep your speed up if you're trying to drive it to clear out the crap, because at low speed you just leave a huge cloud of smoke. I'm damn lucky there wasn't a cop behind me, or if there was, that he couldn't find me through the fog.

That said, aside from an idle stabilizer problem, my 951 is running like new. It's amazing.

I've put about 10 miles on it since running seafoam through it, and it still smokes blue if I get on the boost hard, but I suspect the high combustion chamber temperatures are burning off the residual oil left on the piston crowns and in the exhaust (it burned 20-25L of oil a week before I flipped the rings over).

Tripz
03-05-2006, 11:42 PM
When your idling you should rev it after the 5 min wait to get more smoke out. Then drive it and it'll be happy happy.

DC2
03-07-2006, 01:28 PM
probably a retarded question but, is there a certian time of the year when it should be used?? does outside temp. affect it??

Zero102
03-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Not really, more important than anything is that you use it on a warm engine.
I ran 2 whole cans through my intake. I don't believe in running it in my oil, or my gas tank. I want the full benefit ;)

If you put it in your tank, maybe temperature would matter. I have no idea what it would do when mixed with gas. (Although really, it should act like an antifreeze)

DC2
03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
i heard the motor has to be bagged on intensly for a little bit.
do i really have to do that or would it be alrite if i drive somewhat hard for a longer peroid of time?

Zero102
03-07-2006, 02:33 PM
The sooner you drive it hard the sooner it stops smoking.
Ideally you want to get the cylinder temperatures up, so if it's turbocharged, get hard on the boost, if it's N/A, then let it run at higher revs for some time, wind it right up to red line a couple times.
This sort of gives it an italian tune-up at exactly the best time to burn all of the carbon off :)

highboost
03-07-2006, 03:39 PM
i have heard of it wrecking your spark plugs and something about your o2 sensor.. anyone have any problems on that?

Zero102
03-07-2006, 05:16 PM
It defnately fouls your spark plugs. I changed mine right after running it through. They were pretty much fouled shut, and the car barely ran. My O2 sensor was destroyed from all of the oil I was burning, so I had nothing to lose.
That said, if your O2 sensor works, I'm not sure what it would do to it.

EstoMax
03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
yeah i did seafoam when replacing all the sensors.. one of the o2 sensors in my friends car was new tho so we left that be and it didnt seem to have any effect at all on it

Marko

240ssx
03-08-2006, 12:13 AM
OK heres my question. no thread jack but i have a turbo now should i pour the seafoam directly in the throttle body or through the intake before the turbo. once its in replace all the hoses and let er run ?????
thanks

Brad

EstoMax
03-08-2006, 03:26 AM
you feed it through the brake booster.. i think it even says so on the can lol :nut:

Zero102
03-08-2006, 10:29 AM
What you want is a vacuum line that feeds all cylinders.
So, if you don't have any post-turbo, then you have to feed it in pre-turbo. That said, do all that you can to feed it in after the turbo.
In the case of my car, there is an idle bypass screw on the throttle body. I removed the screw, and used a tapered rubber fitting from my vacuum pump, then attached 2' of clear vinyl hose to it, and dipped this hose in the can.
It worked wonderfully, and I am 100% sure it fed all cylinders.

In the case of my car, the brake booster fitting came off of the intake between cylinders #3 and #4. There is no way the seafoam would be distributed to cylinders #1 and #2, so that was not an option.