PDA

View Full Version : Which way to work out?

keith303
03-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I used to work out where I would focus on 2 muscle groups per day, do about 4-5 excersides for each of the 2 muscles.

I am now working out where I basically hit bis,tris chest and back all in thew same day, for a total of 15 excersies.

I seem to be upping the weight faster because I am able todo the same exersise every day, where as before I would maybe 1-2 times per week.

Anybody else working out like this?, People of said I should just go back to having a designated day for a designated muscle. However I like this better.

hockeybronx
03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by keith303
I used to work out where I would focus on 2 muscle groups per day, do about 4-5 excersides for each of the 2 muscles.

I am now working out where I basically hit bis,tris chest and back all in thew same day, for a total of 15 excersies.

I seem to be upping the weight faster because I am able todo the same exersise every day, where as before I would maybe 1-2 times per week.

Anybody else working out like this?, People of said I should just go back to having a designated day for a designated muscle. However I like this better.

I guess the main worry about working out that often is that you are overtraining your muscles. However if you are able to increase the weights at a rapid pace then you obviously aren't overtraining.

The fact is you have to go with what's working for you. If you are increasing your loads then you are definitely seeing results so why not stick with it?

I myself have done it both ways. My personal preference is doing what I call reciprocal training. Basically working a muscle group on the upper body, and it's reciprocating muscle group on the lower body. It goes like this:

forearms / calves
biceps / glutes-hamstrings
chest-triceps / back
abs / quads

Wildcat
03-05-2006, 06:13 PM
^chest, tris and back is a big day. thats wayyy too much, theres alot of muscle in your back it should get its own day (traps included). also, when are you training your delts? :dunno:

Grip172
03-05-2006, 08:44 PM
delts? lol

pinoyhero
03-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
^chest, tris and back is a big day. thats wayyy too much, theres alot of muscle in your back it should get its own day (traps included). also, when are you training your delts? :dunno:

Agreed, and the forearms/calves day is way too little

hockeybronx
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

Originally posted by Grip172
delts? lol

Originally posted by pinoyhero

Agreed, and the forearms/calves day is way too little

Wow, didn't expect to get a workout critique out of this thread
:D

I do like your guys points about my chest/tri/back day being a bit much, and the forearm/calf day being too little, and I might look into revamping the routine.

However to explain myself:
- on my forearm/calf day I also do my 100x4 workout (do a search I posted it here on Beyond.)
- my deltoids are also included in my chest/tri/back :) day with exercises including shoulder presses, lateral raises, front dumbell raises, and lying rear deltoid raises.

I am also doing German Volume training on my three favorite exercises (barbell curls, benchpress, and squats on my three off days from the afformentioned workouts in my previous post, as well as either an agility exercise or endurance exercise everyday.

IN CASE YOU ARE WONDERING yes I am being careful that I'm not overtraining. I start paid training with the Calgary Fire Department on April 10th, so I recently quit my job just to study and workout for the training. I can train a ton harder now that I have time to perfect my diet and get 8.5 hours sleep everynight:thumbsup:

afrotl
03-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Ok since we are on the work out topic...I was wondering if one of the experts here can give me a few hints about my routines:
Mon: Legs and Abs
Tue: chest and Trceps
Wed: Back and Biceps and abs
Thursday: Shoulders and traps and abs

any suggestions or modification is welcome.

nhlfan
03-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by afrotl
Ok since we are on the work out topic...I was wondering if one of the experts here can give me a few hints about my routines:
Mon: Legs and Abs
Tue: chest and Trceps
Wed: Back and Biceps and abs
Thursday: Shoulders and traps and abs

any suggestions or modification is welcome.

thats a strange split. also, too much abs.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
anyone wanna critique my routine?
(3 sets of 4-6)
Monday-Legs- squats,leg press,leg extension, hamstring curl.
Tuesday- Back- 50 wide grip pull ups to warm up, bent over row, deadlifts, shrugs
Wednesday-Chest- incline, flat, decline I alternate between dumbells and barbells each week
Thursday-Shoulders- pick excercises to work the front, medial, rear deltoids (there's lots)
Friday-Arms- Biceps, triceps, forarms (pick three excercises )
Saturday-Rest
Sunday- Rest..will be changing to cardio (hockey)
i try and do abs whenever they're not sore

Wildcat
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
my off season split is this;

-chest, bi's
-back (traps included)
-off
-Delts, tris
-Legs
-off
-off

-i try and do calv raises and forearms curls twice a week each, only when i feel like it. no abs, no cardio. exercises are different everytime.

afrotl
03-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by nhlfan

Do you have any good suggestions then?
also regarding the abs I am used to doing them everyday cos when I competed in Track and field we had to do it everyday after training.

1-Bar
03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by nhlfan

never too much abs....you can train your abs and your lower back muscles everyday since you use them everyday....

IMO back and legs should have their own day. They comprise of ~70% of your overall muscles and thus need the attention :thumbsup:

Here's mine:
Monday - chest
Wednesday - legs/shoulders
Friday - bi/tri
Weekend - back

abs after every session....