PDA

View Full Version : Direct Energy contract

aaronck
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
A guy comes to the door today, selling me a 5 year contract for my utilies. I know gas prices are going to go up, but I have an uneasy feeling signing up with a guy that comes to my door with no information pamphlets or anything, and I have to sign on the spot. I now know of the Easymax deal, which also sounds good. Anyone have any experience with this?

Just from looking, I see I'm paying much more for my electricity based on today's price (9.4 vs 5.59) but because gas spiked in [email protected], locking in at $11 seems like a good deal, but wait, prices dropped to 5.61 in February....I know gas prices will just go up, but is it a good idea to lock in? What is everyone else doing?

lastprodigy
03-06-2006, 04:08 PM
not its not a good idea....i cant remember why but we figured it out...:thumbsdow

DannyO
03-07-2006, 12:58 AM
I look at it this way, with a locked rate, atleast you know roughly how much you'll be paying each month.

rockym20
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
If you are looking for the cheapest option, it may or may not be good for you. It just depends on what happens to gas prices. For example, if the price of natural gas goes way up next winter (due to a cold winter in Canada and the US), you will probably be better off on a fixed rate contract. However, if it is another warm winter, then you will pay way more than you would under a variable rate contract. If you have an old house or really high heating bills, and are worried about your ability to pay them in the winter, by all means get a fized rate contract - you will know exactly what you have to pay. However, if you have a new home and your gas bills aren't a big deal (I think the most mine has ever been is around $150), then you might be better of with a variable rate one.

aaronck
03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies...
What I've noticed already, is that with the electric being almost double what I have been paying, it made me mad. I'm going to try to find my bills for the last year, and see what I've been paying. I think that the fact they send a guy to your door with no printed information, the next month after everyone's gas bill was through the roof, sort of pissed me off. I think I'll look into the Enmax Easymax deal...

bigbadboss101
04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
bump... anyone else have an opinion on this?

Z_Fan
04-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Enmax "Easymax" deal is basically a brilliant promo to steal the gas services from Direct Energy Regulated.

Essentially, most people don't even realize what is going on because they just figure they already get an Enmax bill, they pay it, and so why not sign up for something that saves money. Then they figure out, oh yeah, I guess that means Direct Energy is out the door. But bottom line, Enamx Easymax is snagging the gas bills from unsuspecting consumers.

That's just the way I see it. Saving you a hundred bucks is diddly shit when they just stole a couple thousand dollars per year account. Which is basically what they do every time someone signs up...and switches their gas service provider in the process.

Khyron
04-28-2006, 12:36 AM
I signed 2 years ago for Direct Energy from the guy at the door, and am locked in at something around 5 bucks. Yah, I made a good call on that one. But it's going to be annoying when the term is up (4 or 5 years total I forget).

Khyron

aaronck
04-28-2006, 09:52 AM
I just signed up with Enmax for the "EAsymax" deal...
I hate Direct Energy, the fact they tried to lock me into an overpriced contract because gas was high the month before just really pisses me off, and their rate for electricity was really high as well. I switched over because of this, I save $100 bottom line no matter how much Enmax makes...direct Energy not only didn't offer me a savings, they were trying to lock me in for much more money