PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips For Studying

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Actually putting down whatever im doing and going to study I find is often the hardest thing to do. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what they do to help them focus on h/w or study for a big exam? any help would be appreciated

thanks

gpomp
03-06-2006, 04:52 PM
go to the library

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 04:57 PM
ya i've definitely considered just studyiing at the mt royal library before coming home but after a long day i just feel like going home and then studying... so how about some tips for when im at home

aram1000
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
man, the library is the best place to study, what i did when i was in school was go home for a bit, then go to the libaray and stay there til i got kicked out. If you insist on studying at home, lock yourself in your room, keep it quiet, and play some music softly while studying, classical or soft trance is good. And set goals, like read through 2 chapters before taking a break, and take breaks, just try to avoid the TV. But the best way to study is at the library, I found when i went there my grades did actually improve

Dave P
03-06-2006, 05:08 PM
get off beyond

chong_wallace
03-06-2006, 05:09 PM
depending on what school you go to.

-university library is a good place to study

-mt royal library is t3h suck, it's like a highschool lunchroom with books for walls

other tips, unless you need a computer to study, turn it off, as powerful and helpful as a computer is, it's one of the biggest distractions while studying. Judging by how quickly you've responded to this thread you haven't done that :rofl:

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 05:12 PM
yea i like the setting goals idea. find some place at home with no computer tv or distractions

lastprodigy
03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
get off beyond

:werd: :werd: :werd: :(

canadian_hustla
03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
get off beyond

^ lol so true, I can procrastinate on this site for hours!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and on that note, go somewhere where there is no chance of you being close to a computer with internet access, otherwise I guarentee that you will end up on this site instead of opening your books

Godfuader
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by aram1000
If you insist on studying at home, lock yourself in your room, keep it quiet, and play some music softly while studying, classical or soft trance is good. And set goals, like read through 2 chapters before taking a break, and take breaks, just try to avoid the TV.
TIMED goal setting before breaks helps alot! I find classical music without lyrics to be the best whilst studying. On breaks dont play online games cuz they will take up too much time. Lie down or walk around the house, grab some water, etc.

get off beyond

Originally posted by lastprodigy

:werd: :werd: :werd: :(
:werd: This site is terrible when studying. If you dont need internet for studying, shut off your modem.
ps. stop reading suggestions and get to studying.

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
get off beyond to study?? :cry:

cman
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
For me:
-NO computer at all costs unless needed for studying, Beyond always seems to call.
-relaxing music without lyrics as they can be distracting.
-get something to eat/drink then find find a hole where minimum interuptions will occur. ex. third floor desk in remote school building, library, basement etc.
-I learn better independantly then in groups, if so avoid class mates at ALL costs as it will just hinder your goals.
-do not study for a "set" time, work through everything thouroghly and when you are done, you're done.

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by cman
work through everything thouroghly and when you are done, you're done.

but isnt it true that the first and last 15 minutes of studying is when you absorb the most? so long sessions would be less productive?

zzdoey
03-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Don't bother. Go learn a trade. :thumbsup:

ninjak84
03-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Make it fun....

I buy some Tim Hortons, and put some good DJ live sets on my MP3 player. That way I'm always looking forward to good food and good music too.

Everyone's different.

AsianCaucasian
03-06-2006, 10:03 PM
There's a better place in UC than Mackimmie Library. Try the law library, its deathly quiet in there and it has a ton of cubicle desks for you to study in.

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 10:39 PM
just studied in my quiet basement with some relaxing no lyric music....GOLDEN IDEA!

xrayvsn
03-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I am more productive when I am not at home. I get doing projects at home, or checking beyond, etc. It is too easy to find distractions. I am very effective when I study in a library or coffeeshop, basically anywhere that I don't have access to a tv/internet/family. I always bring my ipod for music, since I find that I need the music to drown out the silence. If it is too quiet, or when I use earplugs I get too easily distracted and my mind wanders.

mo_money2supe
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
If you're at Mt. Royal and are trying to study there, NEVER go study at the main library! I've never been anywhere as distracting and noisy as that place!! When I used to attend Mt. Royal, I used to study in one of the rooms on the second floor of the East A building. Go up the stairs that's closest to the main east student parking lot (S1 I think it was), and it's the room in the corner just as you walk up. Should be beside the computer lab.

If you're at U of C on the other hand, as mentioned already, go to the Law Library. The cubicles sure help you concentrate, and they're probably the largest cubicles you'll find on campus. That, or go to the 10th floor of MacKimmie and sit near a window so you get some nice natural lighting. It'll help keep you wide awake and focussed on whatever it is you need to study for.

BUT, if you must study at home, have either good lighting set up on your books, or sit near a large window. As with at the U of C, the bright lights will help keep you wide awake.

HybridTheory
03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
If you must study at home, I would suggest going to a place where you won't be surrounded by any distractions. But personally for me I can't study at home because I'm just too distracted by tv, internet, hell even my room because I always just want to go to sleep. But yeah, like everyone else has said, set some goals for yourself. Don't go crazy and try to read 10 chapters at once, break it down, do about a chapter an hour or so and then take a 15 or 20 min break to chill out and absorb what you've learned.

toyboy88
03-06-2006, 11:28 PM
try a living room/dining room table...usually way less distractions, but also make sure it's a quiet area..2 or 3 shorter 30 min sessions in a day for is better than a 3hr cram... ALWAYS review any days material even if you don't have a test...just run through it/read it once again.

for unit finals gather "hard" questions from all quizzes and right them on a seperate sheet of paper then after studying wait like an hour or two and make sure you can answer all the quiz questions you didn't know before....

yea :nut: :nut: :thumbsup:

HyperZell
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian
There's a better place in UC than Mackimmie Library. Try the law library, its deathly quiet in there and it has a ton of cubicle desks for you to study in.

This is where a sneeze sounds like an explosion. I can't take it.

I study at the U, or at a library, because at home the distractions are too convenient. While there, I like to take a snack (rice crisps are good) and a bottle of water, and find someplace fairly quiet with a bit of ambient noise in the background. Plenty of light is a must, as well as comfortable seats...I'm not gonna reveal all of my secret studying spots (lol), but I can recommend ICT (especially if you have a laptop) and upstairs Mac Hall after dinner. I've also heard that the aquatic center is a good place to go.

Now, the big kicker when I study (and I know it's not for everyone) is to put on music. My iPod becomes essential, and I just listen to anything (techno, rock, soft piano) that I am in the mood for...the music becomes little more than background noise, and I sink into whatever I'm studying. Oh yeah, and I fall asleep for 20 mins once every studying session...give it a shot!

Speed_69
03-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
If you're at Mt. Royal and are trying to study there, NEVER go study at the main library! I've never been anywhere as distracting and noisy as that place!! When I used to attend Mt. Royal, I used to study in one of the rooms on the second floor of the East A building. Go up the stairs that's closest to the main east student parking lot (S1 I think it was), and it's the room in the corner just as you walk up. Should be beside the computer lab.

:werd: that's where i study. i find that to be the best place i can concentrate at mount royal. There's also a smaller study room beside it which isn't bad with comfy leather chairs :)

nismodrifter
03-07-2006, 09:16 PM
One cup of Bournvita = recipe for success.
Available at any Indian grocery store

http://www.ishopindian.com/shop/files/proddetailimages/d_1477.jpg

:D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
03-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

awwww sheeit...hahaha...man does THAT ever braing back memories...haha

*gonna go see if mummyji has any upstairs*

H4LFY2nR
03-08-2006, 04:02 AM
I find it hard to study by myself, especially if it's really quiet. I need some background noise to tune out. Anyways, I find that the most effective use of study time is to work on old exams/text problems with a group of people. Even though there is some bullshitting, everyone keeps each other fairly focused. If you have any problems, someone else can probably explain the solution to you, saving you time.

GQBalla
03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

whats is bournvita?

Lo)2enz0
03-08-2006, 12:58 PM
go somewhere that has no computers and lock your keys in your car. while your waiting for help study since you can't go anywhere and you can't be distracted by beyond. problem with my plan, the drivers door on my car won't lock unless you use the key from the outside...

craigcd
03-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Try to sudy in one place or a couple places consistently, I seem to learn better in a common environment.

Remove distractions like the TV and computer.

I use my comp. for music but sign out of MSN and Beyond!

Craig

andres_mt
03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
stop figuring out how to study and actually study. :banghead: