PDA

View Full Version : 2 types of rims

Lo)2enz0
03-16-2003, 06:53 PM
can anyone explain to me why on cars that are used to drift why there are different rims from the front to the back. just like in the picture I included and the kouki 180sx in my sig.

http://www.streetracing.org/photopost/data/547/249192873-20020903-102423.jpg

Laurier

FiveFreshFish
03-16-2003, 07:02 PM
My guess is different tires are used for drifting only, and mounted on rims that look intentionally different so you don't accidentally drive home on your drifting tires.

ninjak84
03-16-2003, 07:05 PM
I always assumed the nice rims got put on the front with different tires.
And the rear rims were just pure performance with performance tires.

ACS-e36
03-16-2003, 07:08 PM
yeha i think they just needed to change the rears for drifting and such rather than changing all 4 on the track

FiveFreshFish
03-16-2003, 07:10 PM
I think the front tires are just regular street tires, since they don't take much abuse during drifting. :dunno:

dj_honda
03-16-2003, 07:59 PM
i think its cause drifters go through tires like crazy.....especially drifters with powerful cars and you don't want too low profile a tire, and large wheels when drifting, you will just end up ruining your wheels..expecially if you lose control....so usually on the rear tires, they have a fatter tire and smaller rim when drifting.

jdmakkord
03-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
i think its cause drifters go through tires like crazy.....especially drifters with powerful cars and you don't want too low profile a tire, and large wheels when drifting, you will just end up ruining your wheels..expecially if you lose control....so usually on the rear tires, they have a fatter tire and smaller rim when drifting.

Apparently you didn't see the pics from the drift showoff posted here earlier. I dont think I saw a single car with fat high profile tire in the rear. They all sported 17-19" wheels.

KoukiS14
03-16-2003, 08:03 PM
I think its cause the front are meant to grip and the back is meant to slip. Different tires for different situations. The front need to grip cause alot of drifts are initiated by aggressive turn in. Thats what i gather from watching drifting videos anyway...

Or the rear tires are used primarily for drift sessions and abuse only a specific tire/rim combo.

Lo)2enz0
03-16-2003, 08:14 PM
thanks for the imput. But when your drifting you don't want to large of a wheel mainly because if you don't have a stiff enough suspension your weight will shift to one side and your wheels will rub in your wheel well. like the signal cars don't have to worry about it cause there suspension is so stiff they can use 17's.

just researching to get my car set up.

Laurier

jdmakkord
03-16-2003, 08:16 PM
That is why they make drift spec coilovers in japan. We may not see them here, but they are very popular with the real drift scene. I've seen tons of drift vid's with guys running 18" wheels.

jdmakkord
03-16-2003, 08:18 PM
example #1

three.eighteen.
03-16-2003, 08:33 PM
if u have a higher profile tire u will squat more than you will drift, drifting is made easier with less sidewall, as the tire is more prone to break traction that squat and roll, less lateral sidewall flex = more dorifto...

method
03-16-2003, 08:50 PM
not only tires, but often times different offset or width...

Lo)2enz0
03-16-2003, 11:50 PM
well i asked a few guys who are major into drifting and they told me that having the 2 different types of rims is a whole drifter thing (like a trade mark). your supposed to have mesh rims in the back and anything you want in the front. its a interesting idea, easy way to show people your a drifter.

Laurier

jdmakkord
03-16-2003, 11:52 PM
from all of the real drifting vids I've seen, they have matching wheels for the most part. Only reason, I can come up with for them using mesh wheels in the back, is for all of the curbs and shit they hit, mesh wheels tend to be stronger. Then again, If your that good, you dont need mesh ones do you... j/k

Lo)2enz0
03-17-2003, 12:02 AM
with the bigger name cars (signal 180sx for example) they ussually have matching rims so it looks good. well any company wants a car that looks perfect. But I have been lookinf for mesh rims and haven't had any success (well I haven't looked that hard) but I am looking for a pair of them for the back of my car. well once i get this clutch fixed I will pick them up.

Laurier

jdmakkord
03-17-2003, 12:07 AM
I know of someone selling a set of 4 16" riken mesh wheels. They are either black or white with a polished lip. I believe he was looking for 400 for the set. 4x114.3 too.

dj_honda
03-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Apparently you didn't see the pics from the drift showoff posted here earlier. I dont think I saw a single car with fat high profile tire in the rear. They all sported 17-19" wheels.

no i didn't see the pics man. well i guess there are several reasons why.... unless you have the cash you wouldn't want to have curbed rims all the time so u could have a spare set in the back, and also for better tirespin, unless you have gobs of horsepower, it is easier to spin a smaller wheel.......

it would be sweet if there was more drifting over here, there would be way more info and stuff.....

Lo)2enz0
03-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
I know of someone selling a set of 4 16" riken mesh wheels. They are either black or white with a polished lip. I believe he was looking for 400 for the set. 4x114.3 too.

JDM can you send me a pic of them (doesn't have to be the exact wheel but I am extremely interested) and a contact. but umm, mesh wheels.

Laurier

jdmakkord
03-17-2003, 12:35 AM
shit I have the same ones on my accord for winter, but I dont have a pic....let me see if I can find one.

jdmakkord
03-17-2003, 12:40 AM
heres a shitty pic of what they look like.