PDA

View Full Version : Jetta vs. A4

Justing
03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Been thinking about getting a 2000+ Jetta 1.8T vs. a 1997+ A4 1.8T.
Which do you guys think is better and reasons for your choice?

mshaw
03-06-2006, 11:07 PM
hmmm thats a tough call. they are both real nice cars. i would probably go with an audi just cause i love them. a little biased i suppose

lastprodigy
03-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Aside from some differences, alot of it is the same car, that being said I would go for the newest one wit hthe least km you can get.

bluetek
03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I think you should go for the VW. Dont get me wrong I really like the Audi's, but I have a friend who has a 97 Audi A4. He says it is a great comfortable car, nice interior, nice body, fun to drive, strong acceleration, and has a fair amount of torque.

Here is the bad part: He has found it to be very unreliable and has had a boatload of problems with it. Specifically suspension!!!

His A4 has had serious front suspension issues. He had to get the whole thing re-built, under warranty of course.

Make no mistake, if you buy a high mileage one around about 100,000 kms be prepared to pay like crazy for repairs.

OK so that being said i would probably go for the newer Jetta. I haven't heard many bad or good things about these Jetta's which could be a good or bad thing.:dunno:

Good luck with your decision :thumbsup:

Justing
03-06-2006, 11:14 PM
well i've had my heart set on the A4 for a while now, but when i think about it, the jetta is essentially the same car isn't it?
I think major points for the Audi is the fact that it's an audi and the quattro.

cloud1314
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
a4 has quattro

bluetek
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes. There are noticeable similarities, but definitly not the same car at all.

Do you have either of these cars lined up yet? If so, Details?

bennyhanna
03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Early production A4's are ones to avoid
96-98 had some major electrical issues

As for the Jetta

Look for anything 02 or newer
as they have
better seats
and may have warranty left over

If your interested I have an 03 jetta for sale
:bigpimp:

Z24_3.1.
03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
i would take the audi any day

asp integra
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
i like the audi more, quattro, turbo, sexy car, but i have heard that they are really expensive to fix

Z24_3.1.
03-06-2006, 11:59 PM
^ same with VW lol

Justing
03-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by bluetek
Yes. There are noticeable similarities, but definitly not the same car at all.

Do you have either of these cars lined up yet? If so, Details?

Nothing lined up really.
I've been keeping my eye out for an A4 in my price range etc. but havn't seen much.
As for the jetta the idea just popped into my head today and i'm gonna go test drive a 2002 on Thursday.
Either way i am in no rush and have the luxury of waiting for the right car for me.
I'd like to sell my current car first or trade with a dealer.

I just want to get a larger car than mine. Plus the euro + turbo are a nice plus :thumbsup:

lastprodigy
03-07-2006, 01:03 AM
You should get bennyhanna's GLI, pimp car, good power and good price

bituerbo
03-07-2006, 08:39 AM
The A4 is based off the passat platform, so it's going to be slightly larger than the Jetta. With an Audi you're also working with a longitudinal engine, not transverse which mean it's easier to work on (if you do your own work).

You live in Canada, AWD is a HUGE selling point you should consider.

the 1.8T is a strong engine which can handle a lot in stock form, so you're on the right track. A newer car is going to have less problems, but I think on average you'll be spending about the same on repairs with any german car. go 99+ on the a4, get get the sport pack if you can (nicer handling).

bituerbo
03-07-2006, 08:40 AM
A guy I know from Ottawa had a built Jetta. He sold it for an S4.
If you can handle the gay jokes and have no appreciation for traction than the Jetta is a nice car to make fast.

However for a daily driver there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Jetta.

Justing
03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
A guy I know from Ottawa had a built Jetta. He sold it for an S4.
If you can handle the gay jokes and have no appreciation for traction than the Jetta is a nice car to make fast.

However for a daily driver there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Jetta.

Want to elaborate on the gay jokes?:drama:

Anyways, i'm looking for a car that i will drive to school/work everyday. I have no plans on making the thing a huge hp beast or anything.
The most i would do with it performance wise is chip it, and maybe a bigger turbo?
As for traction i know quattro would be best but its not really that bad with front wheel drive. I've been driving my celica all winter with winter tires with no problems at all.

I think i'm leaning more towards the jetta just becuase for what i can afford, i can get a newer car with lower kms.

R-Audi
03-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Here's my thought:

I have a 98 1.8T A4.. my bro has an 02 Jetta 1.8T.
Both are great cars, I just have a hard time dealing with the torque steer... He has simple chip/intake/exhaust.. while I have a full blown turbo upgrade (Stage3)
I absolutely love my car in the winter... HUGE selling point IMO.

WIth either car if something breaks it can be costly, but as with all cars if you take care of them they will take care of you. I dont know of any real Electronic gremlins from 96-98 (On my second 98) but there were some suspension recalls.. all coverd by the dealer. Other then thjat, other things to look at include Timing belt replacement (90k) and just small suspension items (Tie rod ends, wheel bearings etc.)

Like anything, go out and drive them both and see what they feel like.

YamaLube
03-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't know alot about vw, but I have heard alot of really bad things about the 1.8T, mainly on 2002 and beyond passats.......oh and the dreaded sludge thing? Not sure about the years you are looking at though.....

http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000214.html

http://www.suckercars.com/lemon_cars

edit: oh and don't go on a rant with me VW owners, I like VW, and I have heard nothing but great things for the TDI and VR6, just sharing.......

Justing
03-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Ok so i went and test drove the jetta the other day. The engine felt strong, good amount of torque and it was pretty much everything i expected.
The only problem is that driving my car right afterwards, my car is so much more fun to drive!

Kind of a dillema for me now, it's a more 'mature' car vs. one that is fun as hell to drive.

Also, for those who have modded the 1.8T what kind of numbers would i expect with just a chip/intake/exhaust?

Anyone else have any thoughts/experiences with either of these cars?

BlueGoblin
03-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I have a Jetta 1.8t with an APR chip - no other mods save for brakes and a short shift kit. The APR chip is astonishing gain for the money. I have not run my car on the strip nor have I dyno'd it, but APR says to expect an at-the-crank ballpark of 209hp. This feels about right. Fuel economy is remarkably similar to pre-chip days.

The VW has been perfectly reliable for me, just a couple small -though frustrating- things go that were taken care of under warranty and that did not reoccur.

The Quattro of the A4 would be nice to be sure, but I don't know if it is worth it. the Jetta does just fine with proper winter tyres in the worst of Calgary's road conditions.

carter_prelude
03-11-2006, 10:10 AM
A4 looks better IMO...and its an Audi. chicks dig that :thumbsup:

rony_espana
03-11-2006, 10:29 AM
^^:werd: Audi's look better

Si_FlyGuy
03-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
A4 looks better IMO...and its an Audi. chicks dig that :thumbsup:

Chicks assume that you're an ready-to-settle down old man if you drive an Audi.:poosie: Not sure if that's a plus or a minus.
Having said that, Quattro baby!:thumbsup:

Oh yea...I wanna hear about the gay jokes. :rofl:

R-Audi
03-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

Chicks assume that you're an ready-to-settle down old man if you drive an Audi.:poosie: Not sure if that's a plus or a minus.

Thats funny.. I havent heard any comments like that with my 300hp A4.....

:dunno: :dunno:

Justing
03-11-2006, 12:31 PM

Having said that, Quattro baby!:thumbsup:

I may be young but i feel 35:cry:

Damn it, i can't decide if i want to switch cars in the first place anymore and if i do i can't decide which one to get.

Audi has quattro, and its an audi.
Jetta would be newer, fewer kms.

bituerbo
03-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

My car's gotten me ass on two seperate occasions.
But that only works on the chicks that get giddy and horny when you let the rear end step out in a corner.

Si_FlyGuy
03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Maybe that's cuz I drive an A6. My bad. :rofl: Either way, I think that I've seen your car in my old apartment complex a few years ago. It's the one with the spyder rims right? :bigpimp:

nismodrifter
03-12-2006, 12:38 PM

It's the one with the spyder rims right? :bigpimp:

No. His car = mega pimp Euro styles. Oettinger all around playa.

oh and btw, regarding the "car you drive", there was no A6 in Ronin. The car was an S8 with injectors that had to be custom made because the Bosch ones wouldn't cut it.

403Gemini
03-12-2006, 12:43 PM

http://www.mmportal.delo.si/images/iman/pb_audi_transporter2filmwww.jpg

Doesnt look to me he wants to settle down ;)

haha thought id just throw that int here ;)

I heard a lot of horror stories bout the audi's but id still get one

Si_FlyGuy
03-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

No. His car = mega pimp Euro styles. Oettinger all around playa.

oh and btw, regarding the "car you drive", there was no A6 in Ronin. The car was an S8 with injectors that had to be custom made because the Bosch ones wouldn't cut it.

Changed! :nut: