PDA

View Full Version : what to do after high school?

djhi9hlit3
03-07-2006, 01:00 AM
well as the thread says, what is there to do after high school? im stuck in choosing a path to go down. im currently in highschool, and graduating this year(2006). i've been accepted into mrc for general arts and science(upgrading) but im regretting applying there. the only reason i applied there was because my parents wanted me to go into post secondary. these are some plans i have in mind but im not sure which to do:

-take time off from school, and work f/t for a while(1or 2yrs), take some vacations(backpacking around euroupe)(i see alot of people doing this)

-go to mrc & figure out what i wanna do

-go to sait and take up some apprenticeship(since trades are boomin in our province)

-go back to toronto and learn from my uncle(real estate)(i was thinking if i learn real estate,and take some classes at sait, construction and what not, i can learn how to fix/rebuild houses. so that'll come in handy when doing real estate)

*also i would like to hear your exp./stories about what u did after highschool, and if you could give some or any advice to a graduating kid like me

-thanks in advance

snowboard
03-07-2006, 01:02 AM
dont take time off
youll lose modivation go to school THEN take time off.

Team_Mclaren
03-07-2006, 01:04 AM
pick an apprenticeship on someting you like, if you go that route and is committed, you can earn a pretty decent living.

It really depends on what YOU want. Post secondary education is not for everyone. You certainly dont need post secondary to success, there are many examples.

As for me, I went straight to UofC after highschool, took me a year to find a program that i like to switch into. Which im pretty sure what my goal is now.

GQBalla
03-07-2006, 01:08 AM
it depends what kind of person you are.

my friends that didn't go to some kind of school after high school and just worked full time all are now too lazy to go back to school, they all say once you make some cash its hard to go back to school.

i agree with that too, currently im only upgrading to my pure math 30 while working part time too.

i go to school twice a week 1:00 - 4:35 pm tuesday and thursday and right now my work schedule is monday, tuesday thursday 5:30 - 9:30 pm and saturday 8:00 - 4:00.

and im already busy enough.

the rest of the free time i spend it studying or just seeing my gf. which i barely do like once a week if im lucky.

t-im
03-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Depends on what you wanna do...

If you DO want to go to post secondary eventually, but not right after you graduate...i'd just go right away...before you loose motivation (which is alot, but not all people)..you still have time to backpack, vacation and work (during the summers). Or just suck it up and finish post secondary asap and spend the summer right after doing nothing but travel (like me :thumbsup: )

Whether it be University, Sait or even going out to Toronto..which are you interested in? No one here can tell you that! Don't do anything you're not particularly interested in.

skandalouz_08
03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
its up to you man. i suggest not taking time off but you have to know what you want to do otherwise you will just waste your money in school switching into and out or programs you may or may not like.

Personally i went straight from highschool into college (SAIT), i graduate this year, and can start my career or go travelling or do whatever I want yet still come back from wherever I go and have the qualifications for a job that will pay well and support me.

HTN SWCHS
03-07-2006, 01:42 AM
call center :rofl:

cman
03-07-2006, 02:01 AM
I took a year off and saved up money so I could make it through year one debt free plus having some spending money at my disposal. In that time also figured out what my career choice would be.
However some lose motivation, or take a longer time to figure out wtf they want to do.
Some never go back, some go right away.

If you have no idea what you want to do then take time to figure out what it is, as long as you go back to school if it involves that.

s dime
03-07-2006, 02:30 AM
I suggest not going to MRC because your parents wanted you to do it. I was "pressured," so to speak by relatives / parents to go to school so I picked something that they suggested. One semester later I dropped out.:dunno: Now I have figured out what I want to do and where I want to be and I am very happy with my decision... Let the decision come, dont be pressured into something you don't want to do.:thumbsup:

max_boost
03-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Probably one of the toughest decisions you'll have to make, sometimes you just aren't sure what you want to do. The last thing you want to do is sit around and do absolutely nothing. It's so easy to fall into a rut and watch time fly by.

If you haven't decided on post secondary, don't go. Don't waste your time and money. Rather, get a job, I don't know, any kind of job and just save your money. When the time comes for you to make a decision, you'll have work experience and money to pursue whatever it is you decide on. :drama:

Mr_John
03-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by s dime
I suggest not going to MRC because your parents wanted you to do it. I was "pressured," so to speak by relatives / parents to go to school so I picked something that they suggested. One semester later I dropped out.:dunno: Now I have figured out what I want to do and where I want to be and I am very happy with my decision... Let the decision come, dont be pressured into something you don't want to do.:thumbsup:

:werd:
i was pressured to go to school as soon as possible
dropped out of sait and now i question my schooling at mt.royal as i dont really think and never thought it was what i wanted but it goes all back to always being pressured. Figure I might as well finish waht im doing since im almost done anyways.

ill probably end up going back to school after and do something i like.

if you want to become an entreprenuer, id heavily suggest the course at mtroyal. i had tons of fun in their entr courses. i most likely will be taking more.

Team_Mclaren
03-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by HTN SWCHS
call center :rofl:

If you dont have anything productive to say, it's probably a good idea not to say anything at all. Thanks

/////AMG
03-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I'll give you advice as I didn't think properly after High School.

Think about this as much as you can. Also research on the course you want to do and see what they do.

If you don't know, do something that you like doing or take a year off and work/do whatever, but make up your mind within that year. I've already switched my first course because it’s not what I thought it would be, I'm now on my second and don't like it either. I know my next will be the right choice.

I made my decision based on moving back home, nothing else. Probably because I didn't visit the place since I moved to Canada (8 years).

You might change a few courses, but do it sooner than later. And if someone says, "you might as well finish the course now". Don't bother unless you actually don't mind spending a few more years doing it.

You only live once, do what you want to do and don't spend ages doing thing you know you won't do in the future.
I hope that made some sense. Good luck!

Good advice here too:

Originally posted by cman
If you have no idea what you want to do then take time to figure out what it is, as long as you go back to school if it involves that.

abyss
03-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I took a year off and I went to Mt Royal at the insistance of my parents. Now personally I don't think any amount of education is wasteful, but it was a lot of money to throw down to decide that it wasn't what I wanted to do. Then I went to the UofC and I'm currently trying to finish my course at SAIT, planning a wedding has taken precendence over that for now. I think if you really want to get an education then any time you take off should not affect that. However, when you're young sometimes it's hard to think about your future and stick to something. I loved the classes in high school but when I went to Mount Royal I hated the exact same classes, it was a hard realization for me that suddenly I didn't know what I wanted to be anymore.

jcrules99
03-07-2006, 10:35 AM
dont take a year off.. i did, and now that i am back in school i miss making money and dont have much motivation, BUT if you dont know what you wanna do, then dont go into anything that you wouldnt want to. i still dont know why i chose my course but oh well, might as well get it over with, sooooooooo the moral of the story is, try to figure out what you want, and if you do decide to take a year off then look for a good fulltime job and save your money, try to find a job in something that intrests you also, it can help you decide what you want to do

Kirbs17
03-07-2006, 11:30 AM
*also i would like to hear your exp./stories about what u did after highschool, and if you could give some or any advice to a graduating kid like me

I went straight into Political Science at U of C when I graduated. I did not like the program, or the school for that matter, so I withdrew from my classes midterm of the second semester. I then took the rest of 2004 (from March - Decemeber), and worked my ass off for an irrigation company. I found out this isnt what I wanted to with my life, so I enrolled in RDC for Business Marketing, and I have one semester left here, then Im going on to get my bachelors.

My brother decided to do the trades right out of highschool (he was a genious with woodworking). So he got his first year apprentice hours in cabinet making, worked for a local company, and was pulling $18/hr (at 18). Then out of no where he quits his job and registers into MRC for Kinesiology/Education. He wants to be a school teacher...

My best advice is to not take time off right out of highschool, go into a program that you'll think you'll enjoy. That will change though most likely, so be prepared for it.

CKY
03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
I myself took a semester off to work full time. Reasoning behind this is that I felt that if I took a full year off I would lose the motivation to go back to school. But I absolutely regret taking that time off. Even though I made money it just feels I'm half a year behind all my friends. Unless you're absolutely positive on what you want to do and it isn't furthing your education just STAY IN SCHOOL

doanashk
03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
My advice would be: If you are unsure as to what you want to do with your career, take time off.

It's silly to say you will lose motivation to go to school if you don't even know what you want to study. Plus, if you enroll into general Arts and Sciences at MRC (in my opinion) you will have a harder time figuring it all out because the program is so general.

My best suggestion would be to get away for a while and figure yourself out, away from the parental units and friends (who will no doubt influence your decision). Try traveling if that's what peaks your interest, it's a good way to learn about yourself.

Only make a decision when you KNOW it's what you want to do. Otherwise you may be spending a lot of wasted time and money on something that in the long run won't satisfy you.

Oh ya, and don't think that Post Secondary is the ONLY way to go, there are plenty of other paths leading to success.

Think outside the box! Good luck

Barlow
03-07-2006, 01:47 PM
surprise it hasn;t been said yet, but part time student full time job, works well.

although I'm pretty much full time both night classes day job, but thats changing.

SAIT i could manage easily,

U of L night classes through SAIT campus, diff story.

In regards to your not knowing what you wanna do, I though i wanted to runa hotel or a restaurant, but realized i didn;t, however my two year diploma luckily counted towars my first two years for my bachelor of mgmt/mktg/HR, so i just transfered and now working on my bachelor of mgmt.

Audio_Rookie
03-07-2006, 02:29 PM
I was pressured into post secondary right out osf high school...I knew I was good with math and physics....but after being in university for 2 years now I question what I really want to do...I feel as if I have wasted 2 years of my life.

I wish I would have taken time off as I first planned...and then thought about what I want to become. I plan to take off summer break and go work full time making some cash....possibly not go back to university next year and just lay out my options. I am going to school for physics right now......I feel that I would have been much better off thinking about it and perhaps choosing a different university to take my course. University of Lethbridge isnt exactly famous for physics....

I am gonna go work on the rigs in the summer and maybe get some info on the possible opportunities available there....after I save some cash maybe I will go to Nait or Sait to help me progress further in the oil industry.

I also think maybe I should have went into the trades....Welders apprenticing are making 28$/hr and I have always liked welding....but its not exactly healthy...

To each his own...I am now gonna take time off and do some research. Good thing I graduated highshool at 17....and am now only 19....so im not that far behind.

Keep in mind the average person makes 3+ career changes in his life.

I hope you find what your looking for, I am still searching.

three.eighteen.
03-07-2006, 02:37 PM
i'm in with the take a year off camp, i got straight into university right after high school, into a program i didn't like and i flunked out...take the year off, really find out what you wanna do then go to whatever school you want to...i'm just earning my way back into university

saiyajin
03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
hmmm i took a year off then went and took chemical technology thinking its what i am good at and plan to follow through with it and after taking it for a year, dropped it...took half a year off after that and now in 3rd semester of Finance at sait...but now thinking if thats also a right choice....maybe i just cant make up my goddamn mind:nut:

stealth
03-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I graduated last year, and immediatly went to school (NAIT).

Don't waste your time taking a year off, you WILL lose motivation.

Even take something you think you might like, its better than nothing, and you still have some education under your belt.

Then when you find out what you really want, switch to it.

civicrider
03-10-2006, 10:14 PM
im been out commin up on two years and ive been working and then traveling, its the best time to do it, go out see the world then come back and dig a pit into some schooling and all the boring crap.

you learn alot traveling and when your done maybe you can decide what you wanna do instead of sitting around doing school to find out you wanna do something else

AllGoNoShow
03-10-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm not much of a fan of school so I "graduated" early, getting the hell out of the shit show and onto somethign I enjoyed. Took a couple of shifts at Golds Gym and spent alot of time doing dick all :D, now working Full time and enjoying it. Money is good, times are good, onto a new more mature life I guess you could call it.

Am I done with school in the future? Maybe, maybe not, I'm still unsure of exactly what I want to do so I'm wokring until I figure that out, couple of options floating through my mind right now just need to choose one, maybe two and get 'er done.

Would I recommend a year or so off? sure why not? If you don't know what you want to do or are doing thigns right now that aren't your choice, you won't be happy man, do the thigns you want, after HS the life is pretty much yours to screw with and do what you please in whatever way you please, parents don't have to stay on your back anymore, be sure to let them know :)

Gondi Stylez
03-10-2006, 11:07 PM
I went to MRC after highschool but that was only as part-time student because I wanted to technically take a year off doing something that i love, cooking, but the cost of being an international student at the French Culinary Institute in New York was too much money. I liked what I did in MRC (Bio. Sciences) and subsequently love what I am doing at the U of A (Pharamacology/Microbiology). When I look back on it, I do not regret my decision because I would not where I am today but after my BSc I have decided to take a year off and purse my Read Seal at the FCI. All in all it is a pretty good trade off, either right away or after my BSc. Either way it was purley for interest and enjoyment and for background into owning my own resturant one day. I have it in me that I either want to do cancer research or med. school (live everyone :D).

I would probably not go for a complete year off and just work because I like others think you will loose a lot of motivation and study skills. Even though most HS study skills are sub-par at best, loosing that little bit of skill will cause to be DEADLY if you take 1+ years off.

My brother on the other had needed to upgrade 1 class (Pure Math 30) but he was ADAMINT (sp?) that he wanted to take a year off. He cut that down to a semester (Fall) and applied to MRC for the Winter. He loves what he is doing now and is loving it (Political Science/Philosophy). He told me that if had taken a whole year off he would been dead. Although he is upgrading Math in the spring as taking less then 4 classes a semester can cause problems when applying to certain faculties (at U of A it is; ie. less then 24 credits/year). My brother is now going to U of Vic in Fall and would NOT be doing that if he didn't get into school. Plus, when he was working my parents FORCED him to pay for everything himself (rent, food, clothes, spending, etc.). He made $8.00/hr working a shit hole pub. My parnets have this thing that if we are in school they will support us with whatever we need - the amount we made in spring/summer.

In the end it is all up to you. You know yourself best! Good luck! :thumbsup:

slyguy
03-11-2006, 09:34 AM
smoke dope.

cityhunter2501
03-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I went to SAIT right after HS taking Petroleum Eng Tech which is what my parents wanted me to take.
There might be lots of money on this career but its not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life, so as I'm graduating next year I'm planning to take Networking Engineering Tech right after it which is what I really want.

I'm working at a geological laboratory seasonally so that I get some experience related to PET and hoping to work in Red Deer with a friend this summer in case I change my mind on NET and decide to work as a PET.

I dont see any advantage on taking a time off right after HS unless you are gonna be working full time that year to save enough money for the 1st year of college/university.

In the end, it depends on what you want and your future career plan.
Don't work for the money but because you like doing it.

SLR
03-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Dont drop the ball man.. I did I worked here and there and wasted a shitload of time.. granted I was being entrepenuerial... I still found that not going into post secondary created a giant pain in the ass. Having high school doesnt qualify you more than someone without.. I noticed my friends getting out of Sait and Uni getting the same money as I was and putting in a fraction of the work. Was kinda shitty.

Go back to school right away.

Rockski
03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
i got out of high school and went to the rigs, awesome time man, you learn alot about yourself land it gives you plenty of time to think about what you want to do. after that i was kinda lost for a bit, then on a whim of a chance my old land lady mentioned about pipe fitting. drove up to edm,onton one week, took the entrance exam passed and went to call out for 2 weeks straight with nothing. i got desperate and pulled a slip as a welder, changed my apprenticeship and its been the best decision ive made in my life

chong_wallace
03-16-2006, 03:50 PM
it really comes down to your own personal goals in life.

did you have any ambition of going to post secondary when you were in high school? or were you sort of leaning towards working right away?

i was one of the only people out of my group of friends that had ambitions of going for post secondary education after i graduated from high school, it was sort of something i have always had in my mind since jr. high, i could never imagine myself just working after HS.

most of my friends that i went to HS with had different ideas. i.e they never had a goal of going to post secondary. some said post secondary is gay and it's all about who you know... and others decided they'd work or travel, then go back... in both cases those friends are either doing hard labor, working at a restaraunt as a manager, or in a low end sales position.

i would highly suggest you go to school right after you graduate, enjoy your summer, and hit the books for 4 years. it's probably one of the best investments anyone can ever make.
honestly you're going to hate it at first, you'll be studying for an exam while your non-post-secondary friends are out partying and making money. You're also going to run into many "haters" that think school is gay and it's a waste of time and money, those are typically the ones that didn't go to post secondary. But when all's said and done, you'll have the last laugh.

that's my .02c

l8braker
03-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I dicked around and worked after I graduated, and imo it is really hard to get back into the grind and learn in a classroom again. Once you get out and make some great money working f/t, you might want to keep that up. If it were me again, i'd go straight into post sec. and then take my trips and screw around, then get down to business.