PDA

View Full Version : University of Phoenix

rony_espana
03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Hey, just wondering if anyone has attended or had any experience with the University of Phoenix Calgary Campus. It seems really convenient that you can take most of the courses online. Good for people who work all day and can't go to university. Also if anyone knows if its comparable to a U of C degree or is it more like a private institution degree. Any info would help. Thx.

topmade
03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I think your talking about DeVry. If so I graduated in 2003. Some companies like Devry and some hate it. I think it's basically how you present yourself and not necessarily where your degree came from.

As for the online courses, couldn't really tell you as I took the 3 yr weekend degree program. I know a lot of their courses go inline with Authabasca university which is online.

I don't think I really said anything that helps, but what the hell.

rony_espana
03-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Actually there is a campus downtown for the U of Phoenix, they offer Bachelor's of Science and also Master Degrees. Thx for the info though.

rony_espana
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Here is the link to the webpage:

http://phoenix.19gi.com/campus/Calgary/schoolinformation.php

black_2.5RS
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
To my understanding, University of Phoenix is not a University like the UofC. It's more like DeVry and you would never see Univ. of Phoenix in any MacLeans Univ. survey. If your looking for a degree through distance learning, I would go to Univ. of Athabasca.

rony_espana
03-08-2006, 09:47 AM
^thats exactly what I wanted to know, I'll check up a bit on U of Athabasca

R-Audi
03-08-2006, 01:19 PM
UNiversity of Phoenix is a full registered University.. the one here is just a satelite campus from the actual university of phoenix IN phoenix. They mostly appeal to people working full time who can take advantage of the night/part time classes

rony_espana
03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
^yeah, thats exactly my dilemma, I work all day and can't really attend classes but have time in the evening to do some homework and stuff, but I would like to get some more education......

nonlinear
03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
DIPLOMA MILL

i wouldn't recommend it man

craigcd
03-08-2006, 04:16 PM
I wonder how this would compare to the U of L tranfer degree program at SAIT??

Craig

rony_espana
03-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
DIPLOMA MILL

wouldn't recommend University of Phoenix or the diplome mill?

three.eighteen.
03-10-2006, 04:02 PM
he's trying to say that the U of P is a diploma mill, or in other words not actually recognized

i do know that if you get your degree through DeVry or something like that you actually have to pay money when you're done so that it will be seen as equivalent, a girl in my law class last semester got her BComm through DeVry told me that, but she ended up doing accounting for Deloitte...but then again she's also awful pretty :dunno:

rony_espana
03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah I actually already have a degree from DeVry, but would like to upgrade or get another one. Its been good, but I enjoy studying so I would like to take advantage of my free time. Just don't want to waste it on something useless though. I think the only sure bet is U of C, but I don't have enough time to do that.......:cry:

D. Dub
03-10-2006, 06:47 PM
University of Phoenix is not a degree mill,its legit and above board but is also expensive.

If you want a distance degree though, why not do Athabasca and keep the $$$ in Canada?

D. Dub
03-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
DIPLOMA MILL

It's not a diploma mill. Its a fully accredited university from the US.

Zephyr
03-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

It's not a diploma mill. Its a fully accredited university from the US.

It doesn't take much to get credited..we have tons of these Universities. Useless schools, literally. They are all owned by one company too. When a school sells stocks in wall street, then there is something wrong with that..

Weapon_R
03-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Have you guys ever taken a trip through the U.S.? They have a million universities, some smaller than a single faculty building at the UC or UA.

D. Dub
03-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

It doesn't take much to get credited..we have tons of these Universities. Useless schools, literally. They are all owned by one company too. When a school sells stocks in wall street, then there is something wrong with that..

It depends on the accreditation.

The U of Phoenix is legit; and you have to EARN the degree which is taught by Masters and Doctorate level profs.

The U of Phoenix is the largest distance U in the US and yes it is for profit. But that doesn't make it a diploma mill.

There are however many diploma mills all over the US.

I researched their MBA before I decided to go somewhere else.

Zephyr
03-10-2006, 08:25 PM

It depends on the accreditation.

The U of Phoenix is legit; and you have to EARN the degree which is taught by Masters and Doctorate level profs.

The U of Phoenix is the largest distance U in the US and yes it is for profit. But that doesn't make it a diploma mill.

There are however many diploma mills all over the US.

I researched their MBA before I decided to go somewhere else.

They were on 60 minutes once. They are owned by the same people that own deVry and they were being nailed about how misleading the school is. Next day their stocks went up though LOL

Shaolin
03-10-2006, 08:26 PM
A couple of my co-workers are doing their MBAs through U of P and they seem to enjoy it..

rony_espana
03-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys, its good to know everything before you enroll rather than after :thumbsup:

D. Dub
03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

They were on 60 minutes once. They are owned by the same people that own deVry and they were being nailed about how misleading the school is. Next day their stocks went up though LOL

60 Miinutes is not exactly a paragon of truth, honesty and journalistic integrity. :D

That being said, I just researched the 60 minutes episode and it seems that U Phoenix was accused of admitting unqualified students to boost enrollment, may or not be true.

Or it may be a question of perception. Many adult learning/online institutions allow for life experience work/experience as credit to enroll.

D. Dub
03-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
Thanks guys, its good to know everything before you enroll rather than after :thumbsup:

OP... what degree do you want??

SugeTek
03-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Some Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix

Zephyr
03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by SugeTek
Some Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix

wiki is half reliable since anyone can edit and change the content.

rony_espana
03-11-2006, 03:48 PM

OP... what degree do you want??

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Bachelor of Science in Business/Information Systems. I want it to help out my electronic engineering degree!

D. Dub
03-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Doesn't Athabasca have degrees in that area? Keep the $$ in Canada!!

In fact if you have a Devry degree why not see if Athabasca will let you do a Masters program?!?!

rony_espana
03-11-2006, 04:03 PM
honestly I have never even heard of athabasca....but I guess I should look into it. Is that a "real" university or is it also like the University of Phoenix?

D. Dub
03-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
honestly I have never even heard of athabasca....but I guess I should look into it. Is that a "real" university or is it also like the University of Phoenix?

Athabasca is totally legit and has been offering degrees for over 30 years!!

http://www.athabascau.ca/aboutAU/

rony_espana
03-11-2006, 04:13 PM
well that sounds a lot better....I'm definately going to look into that. THX

D. Dub
03-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro noblem and good luck :thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes.

:thumbsup: