PDA

View Full Version : UltraViolet review

Vagabond142
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I saw this the other day... and I must say...

it's a b movie, right up there with Starship Troopers and such great fare as the original V movie. It's camp, cult, horribly filmed, bad CG, but just has that certain charm to it that makes it a great, but still horrible, movie :thumbsup:

whitexboi69
03-07-2006, 08:47 PM
LOL yea very crappy

403Gemini
03-07-2006, 09:43 PM
as long as its better than doom ;)

i really enjoyed starship troopers though haha id probably like this

kiwi
03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Worst movie I've ever seen!

Some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard too! :thumbsdow

habsfan
03-07-2006, 11:06 PM
wait, you guys/girl didnt actually think this movie looked good, did you? :confused:

DarkDream
03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

i really enjoyed starship troopers though haha id probably like this

werd.... i like starship troopers too.... Maybe becasue it was like, starcraft.....

403Gemini
03-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
wait, you guys/girl didnt actually think this movie looked good, did you? :confused:

IMO the movie looks horrible but worth to watch as a mindless film :D

Vagabond142
03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream

werd.... i like starship troopers too.... Maybe becasue it was like, starcraft.....

z0mG z3rgling rush KEKEEKKEKEE!!111

-_-

Vagabond142
03-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Minor spoiler warning in this post!

Also, don't get me wrong, I think Starship Troopers was one of, if not THE, best sci-fi war movie ever made. I own the special edition DVD, ffs!! But, it was still a b-movie with a-list actors. Same with Ultraviolet. Tosses you into a confusing story from the first frame, and doesn't make much sense after that. Hell, you don't even find out what Violet IS until like 3/4's through o_O And then it's over in an instant, with no real feeling of ending properly. Dialogue sucks hairy donkey balls. Fighting seems a little... well... forced. And the twisting jumps in the tunnel at the start of the movie?!? wtf????? even if the wires were visible, the action would still make me laugh like it did when I saw the movie.

But still... it just has that certain charm that makes it a great b-movie, despite being one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I walked out of that theater strangely satisfied with having spent my $10 at the theater :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
03-08-2006, 11:43 AM

Doom was fun. It was a horrible HORRIBLE rip on the game, but the MOVIE was fun. The same pretty much stands for UltraViolet.... see my post above this for reference. Better than Doom? Debateable. At least Doom didn't make me giggle giddily at how badly the action was pulled off :dunno:

2000_SI
03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
I enjoyed Doom, not because it was smart or thought provoking, but because it was an hour and a half of mindless entertainment, which is exactly what it was made for :D

This movie looks more like a renter/cheap theatre movie... not one to spend 10.50 on...

QuasarCav
03-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I dont want anyone talking bad about starship troopers.

Vagabond142
03-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Like I said, Quasar, I freaking love the movie :thumbsup: It's just not an a-list movie, and horrendously raped a chapter from Heinlein's book, but I still LOVE it. Hell, I like pretty much all of Verhoeven's movies, all the way back to Robocop and Total Recall :thumbsup:

heavyD
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
I enjoyed Doom, not because it was smart or thought provoking, but because it was an hour and a half of mindless entertainment, which is exactly what it was made for :D

I loved the Doom games but the movie was hard to watch and I'm pretty tolerable.

403Gemini
03-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Minor spoiler warning in this post!

Also, don't get me wrong, I think Starship Troopers was one of, if not THE, best sci-fi war movie ever made. I own the special edition DVD, ffs!! But, it was still a b-movie with a-list actors. Same with Ultraviolet. Tosses you into a confusing story from the first frame, and doesn't make much sense after that. Hell, you don't even find out what Violet IS until like 3/4's through o_O And then it's over in an instant, with no real feeling of ending properly. Dialogue sucks hairy donkey balls. Fighting seems a little... well... forced. And the twisting jumps in the tunnel at the start of the movie?!? wtf????? even if the wires were visible, the action would still make me laugh like it did when I saw the movie.

But still... it just has that certain charm that makes it a great b-movie, despite being one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I walked out of that theater strangely satisfied with having spent my $10 at the theater :thumbsup:

SPOILER:

In truth Violet and her kin are supposed to vampires, did they follow through with this?

Originally posted by heavyD

I loved the Doom games but the movie was hard to watch and I'm pretty tolerable.

Yea im an avid fan of the games (enjoyed doom 3 more than HL2!!! ZOMG!!! :eek: lol loved how it scared me shitless plenty of times)

Maybe if the movie wasnt based on the game i would have been A LOT more tolerant as i went into the movie expecting the game. Im still willing to give it a chance and considered buying it because... well... i own worse ;)

anybody seen dog soldiers? ;) British marines on a training mission run into werewolves? FUCK YEA!

Vagabond142
03-08-2006, 05:07 PM

SPOILER:

In truth Violet and her kin are supposed to vampires, did they follow through with this?

Indeed... but they really drag it out in revealing it o_O Like SERIOUSLY drag it out