PDA

View Full Version : Roli the goalie back in Alberta

Gondi Stylez
03-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I think it is a great trade for Edmonton. Roloson is a pretty solid goalie and he will help Conklin. In any case it doesnt really matter --> :goflames:

Edmonton's No. 1? (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=157671&hubname= )

ProjectR
03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
meh...:whocares: screw the oilers haha

buh_buh
03-08-2006, 02:12 PM
good move. A lot to give up though for a non clear cut #1 goaltender thats a UFA next year though, but a definate ugrade for the oilers.

But after listening to Edmonton sports talk radio for the past few weeks, Oiler fans are probably dancing in the rain (or snow) right now. All anyone ever talks about here is the goalie situation and how Kevin Lowe is useless because he hasn't made a move yet.

Altezza
03-08-2006, 02:13 PM
haha, I was just thinking yesterday that Edmonton should pick up Roloson. But I thought the Wild would have got an existing player rather than a draft. Good trade for Edmonton.

Ajay
03-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I figured the Oilers would go for Cujo more than Roloson. I don't think he'll be the #1 goalie. He's had a terrible season but he does bring experience.

Bill Cosby
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
its a good trade, it helps both teams minne was fucked having two goalies, now oil should be on track to a 5-7 place in the west

chong_wallace
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
I figured the Oilers would go for Cujo more than Roloson. I don't think he'll be the #1 goalie. He's had a terrible season but he does bring experience.

i think cujo's a little past his prime, roloson's probably a better investment for the oilers future

heavyD
03-08-2006, 02:44 PM
It's an upgrade sort of in a sideways kind of way. One interesting thing is that the Oilers have three backup quality goalies in Conklin, Markinen, & Morison. Their big aquisition is a BACKUP goalie from another club. I would have thought they would have brought in a starter like Cujo or Biron.

heavyD
03-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by chong_wallace

i think cujo's a little past his prime, roloson's probably a better investment for the oilers future

Cough....Roloson is 37 years old.......Cough.

Bill Cosby
03-08-2006, 02:51 PM
haha

HeavyD-owned

lastprodigy
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Cough....Roloson is 37 years old.......Cough.

sorry to nit-pick but he is 36....hes got a good few years on cujo....unfortuantely the high price on rolosson will up the ante for cujo or anybody else

A_3
03-08-2006, 03:09 PM
It's an upgrade but not a huge one. Roloson is 6-17 this season behind a much more solid D in Mini. He does have a better GAA then any current Oilers goalie though. This for sure isn't the key move that will make them a contender. They need to upgrade the depth of their D and sign a clear cut #1 goalie for there future.

limecorrado
03-08-2006, 03:30 PM
It's an upgrade sort of in a sideways kind of way. One interesting thing is that the Oilers have three backup quality goalies in Conklin, Markinen, & Morison. Their big aquisition is a BACKUP goalie from another club. I would have thought they would have brought in a starter like Cujo or Biron.

I hate to burst your bubble but birons also a backup... and cujo has had a pretty bad post christmas. There was'nt much out there available that was proven, decent aged, hads reasonable salary and available for picks.

Right now it seems fair enough, time will tell with the pick.

SuPhistiKatEd
03-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Atta boy Lowe...take away the possible threat from a team that's breathing down your neck in the standings. If Fernandez get's injured, Minny's screwed.

Better be a good pickup...or else Lowe's in a pretty big pickle.

DelSoln
03-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by limecorrado

I hate to burst your bubble but birons also a backup... and cujo has had a pretty bad post christmas. There was'nt much out there available that was proven, decent aged, hads reasonable salary and available for picks.

Right now it seems fair enough, time will tell with the pick.

This year yes but that is partially due to Ryan Miller coming out of no where. Previous years past Biron was their number 1. I would have liked to have seen him come to Edmonton over Roloson but we can't always get what we want.

Madspinner
03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Well Im glad they made a move for goalie change, But why would they put morrison on waivers , I would have put conklin on waivers . Morrsion seemed to be the better goalie out of the 2.

00Celica
03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
While Roloson might have a bad win loss record, you guys are forgetting one key stat, his save percentage. His current save percentage is 0.910, which is good for 13th in the league. Combine that with the fact that the oilers only allow the second least shots against in the league, I see Roloson as a huge upgrade on what we had. He also has previous playoff experience. The first rounder this year does not mean as much as it does in past years because there is a weak draft class this year, and i think the oilers have two second rounders anyways. Roloson is also a huge upgrade on Cujo, who has played horrible since X mas. Also, did you hear what they were asking for Cujo? Hemsky or Stoll! Why in the world would Lowe give up a up and coming star for a 38 year old UFA goalie. And, in case you guys forgot, in 03/04 as the number one goalie Roloson had a goals against of 1.88 and a save percentage of .933, which was good enough to be named to the All Star team. I like this deal because the oilers got exactly what they needed, a goalie who can make 20-25 stops per game and makes big saves when needed. It also leaves more players for Lowe to make a deal tomorrow, possibly for a top 6 winger. I think the oil will make a strong push in the stretch run and secure a spot anyware from 3-6 in the West.

Seanith
03-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Now you greasers fans had better stop making excuses for losing games. Its getting old. :rofl:

mac_82
03-09-2006, 12:29 AM
lol

00Celica I was about to quote your playoff experience statement, but when I went to quote it, you edited it just in time. Roloson did not go deep in the playoffs with Buffalo in 98-99. He played 4 games, going 1-1, with a 4.30 gaa, and .870 save %.

Here are some notes from the Score's website:

ASSETS: Is capable of playing spectacularly well for stretches and has leadership qualities as the last line of defense.

FLAWS: Has fought consistency his entire career. May have trouble duplicating his career year, and is running out of race track.

00Celica
03-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah i know I wasnt too sure about it and then i checked it and changed it. However, He did play 11 games in the 02-03 playoffs posting a GAA of 2.59 and a save percentage of .903. Im not saying that Dwayne Roloson is one of the best goalies in the league, and im not saying that he is going to lead us to a stanley cup. What I am saying is that i think he will be solid as a number one goaltender in Edmonton for us and I believe he will win us some games, something we havent gotten from our other goaltenders. I believe Roloson was the best option for Kevin Lowe to get. The asking price was high for Biron who is a FA in the summer, same story with Cujo even tho he is a worse goaltender, Giguere would never be traded to the oilers because they are chasing us in the standings, Theodore would have been no good to us as we need goaltending this year and he is injured. A long term solution could have been Raycroft from Boston, which Lowe is still rumoured to be pushing for, but Roloson is the best value we could have gotten for what we needed: a rental. Someone to get us through the rest of the year, provide solid goaltending and win us some games in the playoffs. If he works out, thats great. If he doesnt, hes not inked to a long term contract that we will be stuck with. We can go and pursue the Birons and Luongos in the off season if that is what Kevin Lowe can afford. Im sticking by Kevin Lowe and will say that he has made some great moves this year for us(Tarnstrom for Cross, Spacek for Tony S.) I still dont think he is done and believe there will be more new oilers by the deadline tomorra.

coolstoryhansel
03-09-2006, 01:35 AM

wasn't Kipprusoff a backup, actually a 3rd stringer, when he was plucked from San Jose?

i'm not saying that roloson will become a vezina/hart candidate but roloson is more than capable of being a #1 goalie

DelSoln
03-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Seanith
Now you greasers fans had better stop making excuses for losing games. Its getting old. :rofl:

You mean like how the Flames thread always blames the refs when they lose?

Nissanaddict
03-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Kinda. But you just GOT a new goalie, so stop blaming him. We have been unable to have a whole new set of refs hired. :rolleyes:

coolstoryhansel
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Here's the math:

Edmonton Shots Against Per Game: 25.5

Dwayne Roloson Save Percentage: 0.910

Edmonton's Projected Goals Against Per Game with Roloson in net: 2.3

I'd rather have that than the current GA/G which is 3.1 (which excludes the Shootout Goals)

Upgrade? Yes

2002civic
03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
so hows he been working out for you guys?:thumbsup: :goflames: :angel:

Aleks
03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic
so hows he been working out for you guys?:thumbsup: :goflames: :angel:

BWAHAHAHAHHA :rofl:

mac_82
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Dwayne Roloson 05-06

Games played with Oilers: 3
Record: 0-2-1
GAA: 4.26
Save %: .859

Nissanaddict
03-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Roooolosonnnnn....Rooooloson......somehow I saw that coming (that he wouldn't be all Lowe cracked him up to be)

Weapon_R
03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

You mean like how the Flames thread always blames the refs when they lose?

some of the douchebags here blame the refs even when we win!

Team_Mclaren
03-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

some of the douchebags here blame the refs even when we win!

meh, the refs are bad, and not just to our team. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it goes the other. Blaming the ref for a lose or win is stupid

back on topic, I'm really surprise that Roloson is doing this bad, he is a solid goalie, but seems like he is trying way to hard after he got traded. I hate the oilers but seeing roloson doing this horrible is a real surprise to me.

ninjak84
03-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah Roloson has been doing badly since he got to Edmonton.... I thought it would be a great move, but that's not the way it looks.
I at least wanted the Oilers to win against Minnesota.... Getting shut out was a harsh insult!
See what happens I guess

Orbie
03-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Yeah Roloson has been doing badly since he got to Edmonton.... I thought it would be a great move, but that's not the way it looks.
I at least wanted the Oilers to win against Minnesota.... Getting shut out was a harsh insult!
See what happens I guess

Well 4-3 wouldn't be what I would call a shut out, but I also thought that Roloson would be better than he has been. I wouldn't go as far as saying I wanted Edmonton to win though...:D

Weapon_R
03-14-2006, 02:54 PM
He let in way too many shots that should have been easy saves. Sounds like neither Vancouver nor Edmonton's trades have been worthwhile, great news for Calgary :D

2002civic
03-14-2006, 03:01 PM
yeah van is stinking it up again right now too, but once they get there actual D back ill give them some hope but right now i dont think theyr e gonna go very far:goflames:

DelSoln
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
He let in way too many shots that should have been easy saves. Sounds like neither Vancouver nor Edmonton's trades have been worthwhile, great news for Calgary :D

I'll reserve judgement until everyone plays a few more games when it comes to the trade deadline. Noronen hasn't even got to play yet and I am hoping to see Aebischer shine even though Huet has been amazing.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

meh, the refs are bad, and not just to our team. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it goes the other. Blaming the ref for a lose or win is stupid

Glad to see not all Flames fans are biased fools.

Nissanaddict
03-15-2006, 02:32 PM
nah, we aren't. I mean, when we got the goal Regehr kicked in, I'm not gonna say "that's payback for the goal they took away" that's just bad officiating, no matter which way you look at it.

mac_82
03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Most officiating is sub par at best, but you might as well turn off the TV and not watch if McGeough is the ref. Worst ref in the NHL in my opinion.

:thumbsdow

2002civic
03-15-2006, 02:54 PM
kerry fraser is pretty bad too imo