PDA

View Full Version : quick question deck won't work anymore

Gravy_83
03-08-2006, 02:24 PM
used my car on sunday night deck worked great. go in my car monday morning deck won't power up. nothing lights up won't power up with the power button. by the way it's a panasonic mp3 deck quite new as well. anyone have any idea what could happen during the night or when I was driving it while it was working last that could of happened to make this happen. like seriously drive it at night and it works next morning nothing.

skandalouz_08
03-08-2006, 02:30 PM
could be a blown fuse? or whoever installed it did a bad job and the wires aren't touching anymore

Fosgate R
03-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah, it almost has to be something at the back of the deck, or a fuse. If you know how to take it out, then take it out and look for disconnected wires...or take it back to whoever installed it, and tell them it stopped working.

But also check your vehicles radio/interior light fuse....could be that too...do your interior lights/dash lights work?

\JCAR/
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM
blown fuse ground wire? possibly even a battery terminal wqire could be lose

B20EF
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
check the radio fuse under the hood, that was my problem when it happened to me

Gravy_83
03-09-2006, 03:18 PM
ok well what happened is that I had my deck stolen so my friend took the one out of his talon and we kind of made a wiring harness from what was left of my civic one and the talon one. now I'm pretty sure all the wires are still touching but I could be wrong. now most of my center consol is missing so my deck is kind of just in there with some things jammed on the sides to keep it in there. (i know it's ghetto but it's just a civic haha) anyways my interior lights still work so how and where and which fuses should I be checking that would have to do with the deck only?? and how do i tell if it's something with the battery terminals??

Gravy_83
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
oh and can't go back to the installer as it was installed by a friend in new brunswick and I am now in calgary again.

Jatt87
03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
is there a reset button on the deck?

Gravy_83
03-09-2006, 04:10 PM
no there isn't. there is only the eq buttons, the source button which also doubles as a power button, and the mute button and volume obviously hehe

carter_prelude
03-10-2006, 04:56 PM
i'd say pull it out and check the wires...but first check the fuses...i spent 2 hours trying to RE wire my deck in, couldn't figure it out till i checked the fuses...blew 2 of them lol...don't be dumb and check the fuses first. THEN rip it out.

Gravy_83
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
well since there is no center consol I can pull it out freely. I checked all the fuses and they all look good unless I checked the wrong ones. I checked the ones marked radio. And I have one on the back of my deck and it also was good. should i try replacing them anyways just to see?? and I undid my power cable and redid it and it's fine. I think I'm going to try with a tester tomorrow see if all the wires that need to be live still are to check if the cd player is still getting some juice. any help from this point on will be greatly apreciated as I miss having music hehe.

Weapon_R
03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Pull it out, get a harness and properly re-install the unit. If the fuse is not blown, there is no point in replacing it.

Gravy_83
03-16-2006, 05:55 PM
ok here's a question. my deck was stolen and they cut the harness so we sorta took the harness out of a talon where my new deck came from and we just jury rigged it together. could this cause any problems as it did work perfectly for over a month. and then all of a sudden it died. just like that over night it stoped working.

Weapon_R
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
It may be your problem. You could have had a loose wire that came off when you hit a bump or something. The easiest way to test if your deck is fried is to connect the power, accessory, and negative to your battery and power it on. If it lights up, you know the deck is still working.

Gravy_83
03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
is there any install bays like a and b sound or futureshop that would be able to test a deck quickly and for cheap i don't really want to chance anything with this deck it's quite expensive

Fosgate R
03-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Do what Weapon_R said, and take the deck out, and put the red wire, and the yellow wire to your positive (red) battery terminal, and the black or ground wire to the Negative (black) battery terminal, and then press power on the deck. If it lights up, your deck is fine, if it dosn't.....it might be pooched. If it does turn on, just re-install it, a wire probably just came loose.

Gravy_83
03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
yeah it's hard to tell cuz it made it across canada hehehe. I drove from nb to ab with no problems with deck not to say i didn't have problems with the car but with the deck no problems at all other than a little excess heat after the 38 hour drive

matt_calgary
03-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Please tell me you soldered all your connections(covering with heat shrink or electrical tape)or at least butt-spliced them? Where did you get your ground from? That source may be a bad ground in general(corroded, on a painted surface, etc), not where u spliced into the wire. Moreover, if you did not splice into anything, check where you put your ground onto the body. See if you pushthe wires into into the connector to your deck and see if anything turns on. Shake stuff around too and see what happens. If all the fuses are checked and in good condition, its 9/10 times an aftermarket wiring mishap.

Gravy_83
03-17-2006, 05:17 PM
thanks for the help guys