View Full Version : Members Of Turkish Family Walk On All Fours

Foz
03-09-2006, 12:23 AM
http://www.nbc10.com/irresistible/7815702/detail.html

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0308/7814951_240X180.jpg

Scientists Study Turkish Family

POSTED: 1:28 pm EST March 8, 2006
UPDATED: 1:40 pm EST March 8, 2006

LONDON -- Scientists are studying a family in a remote corner of rural Turkey because some of them walk on all fours.

The Ulas family has 16 children, and five of them walk using their hands and their feet.

Discovered last year, they've triggered a fierce debate. Are they evidence of backward evolution?

It's been 3 million years since our ape-like ancestors developed the ability to walk upright. Some scientists believe the Ulas children have reverted to an instinctive behavior deeply encoded in the brain, but abandoned in the course of evolution.

"We hope it will shed light on the genetic story of what helped humans to move from crawling to walking," said Osman Demirhan, a professor at Cukurova University in Turkey, who is doing genetic tests on the siblings.

Unlike gorillas and chimpanzees, which walk on their knuckles, the Turkish siblings use their heavily callused palms as heels, keeping their fingers angled up from the ground.

Although they seem to be unique, some experts doubt it's anything revolutionary.

"It would certainly be wrong and simplistic to look at these people and say, 'Wow, we have discovered something that is going to tell us a lot about where we came from,'" said Craig Stanford, a professor at the University of Southern California.

More likely, some scientists believe, the children have a unique genetic mutation, like the so-called "Wolf Boys" in Mexico, who are covered head to toe with thick hair.

The children are mentally handicapped and have limited language skills.

Their mother said they started walking at 10 months, but began using their hands and never walked normally after that.

zzdoey
03-09-2006, 02:01 AM
If my kids ever pulled that shit on me, I'd beat the genetic mutations right outta them. No son of mine is gonna walk like an ape, not if me and my belt have anything to do with it.

gatorade
03-09-2006, 02:06 AM
true dat, that stuff just looks gay as hell

turbotrip
03-09-2006, 02:56 AM
whats so special about this? theyre mentally handicapped so they couldnt learn to walk properly, so they walk as they did when they were babies... it doesnt have anything to do with evolution.

joyridder
03-09-2006, 09:27 AM
extremely strange and uncivilized if you ask me......:confused:

D. Dub
03-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks I now have a new definition of bizarre.

Foz
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by zzdoey
If my kids ever pulled that shit on me, I'd beat the genetic mutations right outta them. No son of mine is gonna walk like an ape, not if me and my belt have anything to do with it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

afrotl
03-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Well you know some scientist is going to get mad dollars to do a research ion this and come up with the conclusion that they walk like that cos they are mentally handicapped and it has nothing to do with evolution.

Phy
03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
"Backward evolution". :rofl: Kiss my ass. It's probably just a quirk of whatever's affecting their thinking. Could be it hosed the part of the brain that processes balance signals from the inner ear, so walking on two legs is just too hard.

Also... remote corner of rural Turkey, and a family that has 16 kids... if it was a remote corner of rural America, they'd just chalk it up to the family being horribly inbred.