PDA

View Full Version : peck/shoulder workouts

civicrider
03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
i searched on here and couldnt find any real good threads on this so i thought id start one

im trying to build my pecks and shoulders with the system i have, it has a butterfly press, bench press (non adjustable) a pull down and a millitary press

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=1433025

i hear the butterfly press works good but it feels like its working my upper arms more.

is there some other excersise i could do?

Foz
03-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Bench press will help develop your triceps and pecks.

You can use the butterfly press. You might be feeling that your arms are getting more work than your chest. Try letting the bars go past your chest when resting and then bring them together in front of you and hold it for a few seconds.

A_3
03-09-2006, 07:06 PM
When you are doing butterfly try and really squeeze with your chest. I find if I do that it really works my chest. For shoulders, is it possible to reverse your butterfly press so it provides pressure moving the other direction? So, instead of moving the bars from your sides together in front of you, you sit facing the bars and using your shoulders you spread your arms backward. Military Press is great for your shoulders, and so are pull downs. Also, if your machine allows, try wide grip chin ups to work your back and shoulders. And of course for chest you can slam out a good set of push ups besides the machine. Hope that helps.

Toma
03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
wtf is a butterfly press?

Foz
03-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Toma
wtf is a butterfly press?

:rofl: I guess we mean "Butterfly".

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2002/butterfly2.jpg

A butterfly press is this...
http://www.r-u-fit-equip.com/original%20photos/Pictures%201/aerobicsledexercise2.jpg

haha..

~Leah~
03-09-2006, 08:27 PM
i prefer the term "pec fly(e)"

Anyways, it was said before, on that exercise, really focus on squeezing your chest together. As I tell all my female clients... make cleavage.

As for the military press, focus on ONLY using the top of your shoulder to push the weight, you should feel a huge difference when you don't use your arms as much. Same for the fly... try not to use your arms and to only push the weight by making cleavage.

~Leah~
03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
P.S. Why don't you grab some free weights and a bench?

ca2p3r
03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Foz

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2002/butterfly2.jpg

haha..

:hitit: :D

1-Bar
03-09-2006, 08:44 PM
other exercises: there's a variey of push-ups (wide, close, incline....etc), dips (I see you may have a lower ab curl on the side of your machine). That's all I can think of now....

IMO you can't really build that much muscle with those machines, from my experience you don't really have full ROM, and the resistance is not really spectacular either....

pinoyhero
03-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey man in all honesty if you're trying to get some size on your chest, those home machines won't quite do it. The key is to lift heavy on a traditional bench with a barbell or dumbells. You wanna get big you gotta lift big and i dont seee that machine doing it.

nhlfan
03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
'pec' is short for pectorial, which has an even longer name.

peck is what...(insert joke here)

5hift
03-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Hey man in all honesty if you're trying to get some size on your chest, those home machines won't quite do it. The key is to lift heavy on a traditional bench with a barbell or dumbells. You wanna get big you gotta lift big and i dont seee that machine doing it.

:werd:

Try to find another clueless guy to dump that contraption on and use the money to buy a bench and some barbells/dumbells.

civicrider
03-13-2006, 01:30 PM
im not a hardcore workout guy, im just trying to get some results nothing huge, when i get more serious i plan on getting a gym membership this is just to get me going

1-Cent
03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
A bench, dumb bells, incline/flat/decline DB flies and presses, alternate DB's with barbell bench press, then combine and rotate, etc. Keep switching it up, a machine isn't going to do much in the long run.