PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to protien????

V6-BoI
03-12-2006, 02:10 AM
So I started doing the protein shakes this week, and I noticed about 15 minutes after I drink it, my skin gets this burning feeling. It's hard to describe actuall, it's kinda like when you drink alcohol, and you get all red, and you feel kinda hot afterwards. But my skin doesn't turn red or anything. The feeling lasts about 5-10 minutes or so, and then it goes away. Have you guys ever heard of people being allergic to the stuff? I mean, I don't thnk I'm allergic to it, cuz it's just protein right?

Slashin_
03-12-2006, 02:14 AM
body consist of protein?

1-Cent
03-12-2006, 02:47 AM
If you're extremely lactose intolorant...

V6-BoI
03-12-2006, 03:56 AM
I am a little lactose intolerant, not a lot. I can drink milk, just sometimes it gets me kinda gassy. But wouldn't the shakes just give me the runs if I was really lactose intolerant?

1-Cent
03-12-2006, 10:22 AM
A little isn't enough, its not that

Originally posted by V6-BoI
I am a little lactose intolerant, not a lot. I can drink milk, just sometimes it gets me kinda gassy. But wouldn't the shakes just give me the runs if I was really lactose intolerant?

hash
03-12-2006, 11:04 AM
maybe you're just allergic to one particular ingredient in the mix? what kinda stuff is in it other than the protein?

forkdork
03-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 1-Cent
If you're extremely lactose intolorant...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lactose Intolerance causes diarreah and gas dude.
If you get a little bit of gas while drinking milk you are probably lactase deficient (nothing to be worried about - it is common).

You can be allergic to proteins (this causes milk allergies etc).

V6-BoI
03-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I got this kind
http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product308.html

it's a whey isolate with 35g of proten per every 40g.

This is from the supplementscanada.com site:

Ingredients
Isolate Blend [Cross Flow Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate (97%)], Alpha Lipoic Acid, D-Pinitol*, Fenugreek Seed (4-Hydroxyisoleucine), Lecithin, Aminogenâ (Protease I, Protease II), Sucralose, Natural and Artificial Flavour.

Amino Acid Profile
Iso-Pro Low Carb™’s Major Proteins Include:
Beta – Lactoglobulin 44 – 50%
Alpha – Lactalbumin 15 – 21%
Glycomacropeptides 14 – 16%
Immunoglobulin 9 – 10%
Bovine Serum Albumin 5 – 6%
Lactoferrin and Lactoperoxidase .5 – 1%

Wildcat
03-12-2006, 03:03 PM
let me guess, your asian? then its genetic.

vgslvr
03-12-2006, 05:10 PM
try soy or hemp protein

dericer
03-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by forkdork

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you get a little bit of gas while drinking milk you are probably lactase deficient (nothing to be worried about - it is common).

That's not entirely true.

My friend sneezes like mad, and gets itchy. Even from cheese, and ice cream. He's just lactose intolerant according to him.

:dunno:

forkdork
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by dericer

That's not entirely true.

My friend sneezes like mad, and gets itchy. Even from cheese, and ice cream. He's just lactose intolerant according to him.

:dunno:

Lactose Intolerance is an inability to digest lactose which results in the production of gas and diarreah.

Milk Allergy is a exaggerated immune responce due to the presence of the proteins present in milk.

Your friend is a dumbass.

1-Cent
03-12-2006, 08:27 PM
One of my closest friends is extremely lactose intolorant, like she can't eat anything thats come in contact with dairy... Thats where I got the example, she wanted to lean out and I was her trainer all summer, first time she had whey she had a reaction..
She gets the same reaction except much worse, can throw up, etc... so ya, I'll let her know thats funny for you.

Obviously thats not the case here, youd have to be very very lactose intolorant to get any symptoms from whey because there are only trace amounts and if you were then you wouldn't describe it as a little, it would pretty much dictate all food choices. So we can, can this idea...

Have you only tried one brand of whey? It could just be a bad batch, contaminated, expired, relabeled... any number of things. If you want to know if its WHEY in general then go buy like 3 1lb containers of different brands and experiment, pretty simple man.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RX-7_TWINTURBO
03-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
let me guess, your asian? then its genetic.
So your saying all asians are basicly allergic to milk/food ?

Edit: nevermind your right...and I learned somthing today

Lactose intolerance can be caused by a number of things. In humans, the body produces less lactase after the age of two. However, in white Western Europeans, lactase can be produced into adult life, which allows lactose to be broken down properly.

Because of this, lactose intolerance is more common in certain ethnic and racial populations than in others. In the UK, we think about 5% of the general population have lactose intolerance. In communities where milk is not traditionally part of the typical adult diet, a much bigger proportion of people are affected. For example, up to 75% of the black African community and more than 90% of the Asian community are intolerant to lactose.

hash
03-12-2006, 09:39 PM
haha... no i think he was probably thinking of the genetic enzyme deficiency of alcohol metabolism that a large chunk of the asian population has. causes facial redness, etc...

it only applies to alcohol though.

the lactose intolerance is a separate issue - causes gastrointestinal symptoms.

forkdork
03-12-2006, 09:54 PM
One of my closest friends is extremely lactose intolorant, like she can't eat anything thats come in contact with dairy... Thats where I got the example, she wanted to lean out and I was her trainer all summer, first time she had whey she had a reaction..
She gets the same reaction except much worse, can throw up, etc... so ya, I'll let her know thats funny for you.

Obviously thats not the case here, youd have to be very very lactose intolorant to get any symptoms from whey because there are only trace amounts and if you were then you wouldn't describe it as a little, it would pretty much dictate all food choices. So we can, can this idea...

OK GENIUS!

You are aware that lactose is present in foods other than milk right? Right? Well then your friend should not be able to eat a whole SHIT LOAD of foods because there is NO LACTOSE FREE DIET.

Reaction? HAHAHAH thats milk allergy idiot. Lactose Intolerance is a inability to digest lactose, it affects the GI Tract not your damn skin.

You are a dumbass.

RX7-TWINTURBO: What you are describing is lactase deficiency. Lactase is needed to break down lactose. Lactase production is greatest at infancy and drops drastically through childhood and adolescence. When you lack lactase you are unable to fully digest the lactose. This attracts water in the small intestine which causes a feeling of bloating and later results in the production of gases co2, ch4, and h2.

Northern Europeans continue to produce lactase throughout their lives while Asians and Natives suffer from lactase deficiency. 90% of the Asian population is actually LACTASE DEFICIENT and aorund 80% of natives are too

Lactase Deficiency and Lactose Intollerance are two different things

Yall suckas can test if you are lactase deficient by going to your doc and getting a H2 breath test. You will know if you are lactose intollerant by your experiences in the bathroom after eating dairy products.

Alot of misinformed people.........

RX-7_TWINTURBO
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
the way i understand it is that lactace deficiency is why people are lactose intolerant. You are not producing lactace to digest the lactose properly..is this not correct ?

and btw i didnt write that quote..i just copied and pasted from http://www.theallergysite.co.uk/dairy.html

ecstasy_civic
03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
What are you the milk police, holy fuck buddy take it easy LOL
Id be careful who you call names to lol theres alot of educated people on here

:devil:

forkdork
03-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
the way i understand it is that lactace deficiency is why people are lactose intolerant. You are not producing lactace to digest the lactose properly..is this not correct ?

and btw i didnt write that quote..i just copied and pasted from http://www.theallergysite.co.uk/dairy.html

Intolerance is used for people who have NO digestion occuring.

Deficiency is used when people are still producing lactase but not enough for complete digestion. They have less "severe" symptoms and can consume much more lactose without experiencing the symptoms.

You can be either lactose intolerant or lactase deficient and consume way more dairy than you previously could from a change in bacteria in the colon iirc.

There is a difference between the two though based on what I said above.

1-Cent
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I believe I said, if you were extremely intolorant it would dictate everything you eat... and for her it does, shes very thin, had an entire cupboard of vitamins to make up for what she cant eat because of her condition.

There alot more going on than you obviously realise and alot more variations in symptoms and sevarity person to person... by reaction i don't believe skin as in allergeries was mentioned either.

Want to go on making up your own story? By all means don't let me hold you back from your creative thinking. Its one thing to argue facts on paper, its another for you to argue your 2nd or 3nd hand knowledge from a paper or whatever source when I've seen my long time friend throwing up, in crippling pain, spending basicly the entire day in the bathroom and you saying I'm wrong and you're right... Well in this situation you're better off just walking this one off buddy, your comments were ignorant and disrespectful to say the least.

OK GENIUS!

You are aware that lactose is present in foods other than milk right? Right? Well then your friend should not be able to eat a whole SHIT LOAD of foods because there is NO LACTOSE FREE DIET.

Reaction? HAHAHAH thats milk allergy idiot. Lactose Intolerance is a inability to digest lactose, it affects the GI Tract not your damn skin.

Alot of misinformed people.........

GQBalla
03-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
What are you the milk police, holy fuck buddy take it easy LOL
Id be careful who you call names to lol theres alot of educated people on here

:devil:

*sigh*
what he said^^

i guess im in the 10 percent of the asian population that can actually drink milk and dairy

whey protein mixed with milk doesn't bother me!

V6-BoI
03-13-2006, 09:31 AM

Have you only tried one brand of whey? It could just be a bad batch, contaminated, expired, relabeled... any number of things. If you want to know if its WHEY in general then go buy like 3 1lb containers of different brands and experiment, pretty simple man.

Yeah this is the only brand that I've tried. I'm gonna continue with it, and hopefully it's just something that my body just needs getitng used to, and it the effects don't seem too serious. I used to drink lots of milk when I was a kid, and it didn't do anything to me at all. Just now it seems to effect me a bit.

Toma
03-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Any added vitamins in there? ... sounds like a niacin rush

kaput
03-15-2006, 01:27 PM

2.4l
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sleeperstang93
03-16-2006, 05:44 PM
If it happens to be a milk allergy then you should feel the same symptoms after drinking a glass of milk.

I noticed that the powder is sweetened by sucralose, a normally inert artificial sweetener but in rare cases can cause allergies. Try switching to a powder sweetened by Aspartame, Acesulfame-K or natural sucrose and see if the problem goes away.

V6-BoI
03-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Yeah I think I'm gonna lay off the protein until I see a doctor. The past few days I've been experiencing some chest pains like 10 minutes after I take a shake, on top of the skin thing. I'll be really dissapointed if my doctor says I can't the stuff, cuz I was really getting into the routine.