PDA

View Full Version : Question to those who've purchased from Toyota or Nissan lately

ZMan2k2
03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I've been batting around the idea of trading in my car for a pick-up. After all the research I've done, I've narrowed it down to two difficult choices. Either the Toyota Tacoma or the Nissan Frontier. I've checked out the interior and exterior on both (at the Car and Truck show), but I haven't been to either dealer yet. I really like both so my questions are these........

1- Are the dealers willing to haggle on price? I heard that Toyota has the Access pricing now, which pretty much means what you see is what you get. I don't know anything about Nissan.

2- Isn't really a question so much as please let me know what your experience was like at which dealership, to give me an idea of where I'd like to go buy. I've been treated like dirt before, you know, completely ignored or given the "brush-off". Not somewhere that I'd return to. Also whether or not there was any "high-pressure" tactics used.

Thanks all.

Supa Dexta
03-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd go with the nissan over that (dont mind my avatar) I used to love the tacoma, but it's gotten too big and ugly for me.. The nissan on the other hand has come around in the looks department, they've stepped up the package as a whole, more power, little bigger, nicer over all truck then a few yrs back... Brasso would be my choice, they've been great to me, stadium is ok.. but stay away from sundridge, they were pricks... Can't help you much on pricing though..

canada deals here (http://www.nissan.ca/en/buying/specialoffers/default.asp)

And like others mention around here, find out the dealer cost by hunting around online and then bargain up from there with them, instead of down from msrp....

CalgarySupra
03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
go with the toyota truck. nissan parts are too expensive. when buying from the largest company (almost bigger then gm) your buying its repuation, toyota didnt just become number 1, it took them time. thats where quality kicks in. my friend has 92 pathfinder it feels cheap compared to my 88 4runner. those pathfinders are a headache to work on. i admit the nissan truck looks good.

if i coudlnt buy a toyota the next thing for a truck i would by is a nissan.

Stephen81
03-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I just picked up a '06 Tacoma three weeks ago. My advice IS...

Schedule a test-drive (i booked several on-line) and make it clear what you are looking for. I made a test-drive checklist on Excel and used it to grade each vehicle I drove (subjectively and objectively) on various points. Entry/Exit, Pedal Placement, Brake Feel, Seat Comfort, Handling, etc etc. I found that when the dealerships saw how serious I was taking my decision they were very accomodating in terms of the length and content of my test-drive.

Access Toyota is prettymuch explained on Toyota's website. They offer grad rebates and whatnot but I think you can still get them to move a bit south on the sticker price (from my experience anyways)

The '06 Tacoma is an insanely nice truck. I love it. The Access Cab 4x4 is awesome and even the Double Cab Pre-runner. I spent hours on the net looking at the auto website and comparing features and options as well as auto forums for each model. Check the library for issues of Car and Driver and Motortrend...lots of good articles in those mags.

I've bought my last two vehicles from Charlesglen Toyota and had amazing experiences. PM me if you have any questions about the Tacoma:thumbsup: I ended up going for the slightly impractical (summer tires :banghead: ) but beautiful Tacoma X-runner.

Godfuader
03-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Come on down to Country Hills Toyota. The facilily is the best one around. I have to agree with stephen_haxton that you will definately get reliability and a proven track record. I work for CHToyota and cant really say that people are having problems with the Tacoma.

ZMan2k2
03-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Stephen, much appreciated. I really like your X-Runner, but I don't think it's exactly what I'd need for family hauling, although I'm sure it hauls just fine.:D

Godfauder, thanks for the info. I'll keep your dealership in mind. It WOULD be a little more convienent location for me than some other dealers in town.

heavyD
03-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Nissan or Toyota. That's like asking should I buy the RCA or Panasonic plasma TV. Nissan is the RCA of Japanese vehicles with reliability that makes GM vehicles look like Lexus in comparison.

SilverBoost
03-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Nissan or Toyota. That's like asking should I buy the RCA or Panasonic plasma TV. Nissan is the RCA of Japanese vehicles with reliability that makes GM vehicles look like Lexus in comparison.

Thats a pretty broad and generalized statement don't ya think?

Xtrema
03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Stadium Nissan has done good service for me and Frontier isn't that bad except of the usual cheap Nissan interior.

I would pick Tacoma. It looks better and backed by Toyota. Go to Country Hill since they are newest on the block and has ways to "compensate" access pricing to be competitive.

bspot
03-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Stadium Nissan were complete fuck ups when my Dad's Murano needed the CVT replaced.

Lex350
03-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

this comment coming from a Neon driver:D

ZMan2k2
03-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I appreciate all the information and opinions, however I didn't want to get into a Toyota vs. Nissan pissing contest. I'm interested in the personal experiences and information that other enthusiasts have had with either of these brands. So if we could keep it on topic that would be appreciated.

As for which brand I'm personally leaning towards, yeah, the Toyota is the way I'm looking. I really liked the interior of the Tacoma, and my wife felt that the rear seat is more comfortable and easier to get in and out of. All things that need to be considered when making a purchase of this type.

Thanks for all the advice guys, and please keep the experiences coming. It all helps me decide where and who is going to be lucky enough to get my money.:D

RC-Cola
03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
When I was in the market a couple of years ago my purchase came down to a Nissan or a Toyota. I ended up picking the Nissan as they were a little more accomidating to my needs of meeting my budget.

I purchased from Brasso Nissan and they have been nothing short of spetacular in dealing with any issues I've had. In particular Chi in the Service Department is excellent.

That all being said, I don't know a lot between the two vechiles your looking at, but generally speaking now that I'm looking to sell my car and upgrade I believe that I'd probably get a better resale on a Toyota then my Nissan. I'm not sure if that would apply to your truck's as well.

adrianracer
03-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I have owned my Tacoma X Runner for 5 months (first one in Alberta) and have 6000 trouble free km (except for the female laywer that ran into the back of me!) I chose the Toyota for these reasons: Interior Quality, 0-60 time of 6.9 sec, gas mileage, great body lines, beautiful color (speedway blue), Toyota resale value, generous xtra cab room, comfortable seats and driving position, light weight composite bed w/ great tie down rails. I negotiated off of access pricing (but had strong referral) and they didn't really know how few there were going to be then and nobody knew about the X Runner?) It attracts tons of interest and compliments as a bonus!

EstoMax
03-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Go test drive and analyze both, then pick whichever suits your needs more. Personally i think their both great.

Justing
03-17-2006, 01:01 AM
I'd take the Tacoma.

But if you go with the Frontier, as far as dealerships go, go to Brasso.
When we used to have a nissan, the service there was amazing.