PDA

View Full Version : sub size

frumpy
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Well Im working on my new system since I now have my new ride. Right now I have a new deck replaced all the speakers amped the system blah blah all the normal stuff. Now to the sub part. I was thinking about not having any subs but after everything else is done Im not happy with the overall sound without subs. My old car I had 2 12" subs in a slot port box. Anyway to my problem, I am very limited for room as I have a 98 TJ there is pretty much no trunk. Im not sure what to go with I was thinking either one 12" two 10"s or maybe even four 8"s.

Bassically I was wondering what would be the best bet for quality while still being fairly loud. I will most likely be going with MTX subs as I have a friend that works with them and can get me anything at factory cost. Also I was wondering if the 8" subs are any good, Ive never heard them and was just wondering if they are actually capable of putting out some decent sound.

andres_mt
03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I personally think two 10'' s is the best way to go.

spike98
03-13-2006, 12:08 AM
personally if you looking for big bass then a TJ isn't the way to go. I would how ever just stick with a beefy 10. Say a ported monster such as a alpine type X, or a JL W7

Either isn't going to be cheap

Jonathan@TCS
03-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Don't bother with 8's, they don't hit low enough. Try to 10's or one 12, depending on what music you like, and what your budget is.

frumpy
03-13-2006, 11:14 AM
budgets fairly low whatever box I want will be $50 regardless of size shape etc. I can get MTX subs for just over half of the normal in store retail price. Im just having trouble now finding out where to stick a box that will be the proper size.

PraviYugosloven
03-18-2006, 02:57 PM
id go wit 2 10z or maybe just a 12 depending what you can afford.

3.4L-QUADCAM
03-18-2006, 09:16 PM
What I think you should do is find two subs that require the minmum amount of air space 1.1-1.25 cubic feet for the box valume in 10s , for example The infinity reference series 10", mtx mzs series, JL W3 and even Kickers. put them in a sealed box and push about 600-800 watts rms and that should thumb the hell out of that TJ. I am pretty sure about that size will fit just perfect. I have seen it done.

Chris @ Mitek
03-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by frumpy
Well Im working on my new system since I now have my new ride. Right now I have a new deck replaced all the speakers amped the system blah blah all the normal stuff. Now to the sub part. I was thinking about not having any subs but after everything else is done Im not happy with the overall sound without subs. My old car I had 2 12" subs in a slot port box. Anyway to my problem, I am very limited for room as I have a 98 TJ there is pretty much no trunk. Im not sure what to go with I was thinking either one 12" two 10"s or maybe even four 8"s.

Bassically I was wondering what would be the best bet for quality while still being fairly loud. I will most likely be going with MTX subs as I have a friend that works with them and can get me anything at factory cost. Also I was wondering if the 8" subs are any good, Ive never heard them and was just wondering if they are actually capable of putting out some decent sound.

That.Guy.S30
03-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by frumpy

i used to own a jeep yj and there are alot of thigns you can do for bass. check out sounddomain.com, alot of my jeep buddies did some crazy sub boxes (integrated into the rear bench, or make a false floor, etc) i went the easiest way and got myself 2 10's and a decent amp. built the box behind the bench(had no more trunk space after that)