PDA

View Full Version : Law for lowered vehicles?

Ford
03-13-2006, 12:23 AM
What is the law for lowered vehicles how low can I go...

Where do you measure to stock headlights?
What id you put different higher headlight on?

And how high do the headlights need to be for it to be legal.

Thanks.

Kona9
03-13-2006, 12:24 AM
just lower the damn thing!! if you want to dump it, get airbags to have any headlight height you want!:angel:

Ford
03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Oh yeah I am going to, just wondering what the law is btw.

3G
03-13-2006, 12:32 AM
its illegal to modify ride height

max_boost
03-13-2006, 12:33 AM
^^^

Who do you know has been ticketed?

dj_honda
03-13-2006, 12:44 AM
i have been driving around lowered just under 3 inches in my civic since last summer and have yet to get a ticket for it. i tuck 14s. i recently raised my car an inch up front to get around during this snowy season here but most of the time i am that low. if it is illegal i am sure they dont enforce it too much.

nismodrifter
03-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Every answer you will need regarding vehicle equipment in Alberta:

http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/regu/2002r.322/20060217/whole.html

arian_ma
03-13-2006, 02:07 AM
^^^

(3) A headlamp must have a high beam

(a) that can reveal a person or another vehicle that is at least 100 metres ahead, and

(b) that does not shine in the eyes of an approaching driver.

What???? lol, high beams that don't shine in people's eyes?
Did I miss something there?

also, in here it says that signal lights can emit white light...again...did I miss something here?

(2) One set of turn signal lamps on a vehicle that has turn signal lamps must comply with the following:

(a) they must be located at or near the front of the vehicle;

(b) they must be on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable;

(c) when lit, they must emit white or amber light that is plainly visible from at least 250 metres ahead.

3G
03-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^^

Who do you know has been ticketed?

no one lol

TurboMedic
03-13-2006, 04:19 AM
I noticed theres nothing there that says that you need to have red taillamps, just that they have to emit red light.....maybe we're all missing something....

nismodrifter
03-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I think clear tail lights would fall under this as they are not DOT/SAE approved:

(2) A lamp on a vehicle, wherever it is located,

(a) must comply with the appropriate standard under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) on the date it is attached to or incorporated in the vehicle, or

(b) must comply with the SAE standard applicable on the date on which the motor vehicle is manufactured.

(3) A lamp or replacement lamp on a vehicle complies with this section if it

(a) meets the manufacturer’s specification for the vehicle it is incorporated in or attached to, or

(b) has a mark or label on it that indicates in words or symbols that the appropriate standard has been met

I don't think that they are approved for road use.

and here's your thing about headlight location:

(2) A headlamp must be mounted so that the centre of the headlamp is not more than 1.4 metres and not less than 560 millimetres above ground level when the motor vehicle is not loaded.

rage2
03-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Lowering falls under this:

6(1) A motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle or moped, must have at least 2 headlamps, one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle.

(2) A headlamp must be mounted so that the centre of the headlamp is not more than 1.4 metres and not less than 560 millimetres above ground level when the motor vehicle is not loaded.
I know people that have been ticketed for 6(2) with a lower car, mainly at the illegal street races where they'll ticket you for everything.

SilverBoost
03-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
^^^

What???? lol, high beams that don't shine in people's eyes?
Did I miss something there?

Yeah, they're talking about the headlamp at low beam not shining in people's eyes. They aren't talking about the hi-beam. That's about headlamps, not hi-beams specifically. It just says your headlamp requires hi-beam.

Madspinner
03-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah I never got a ticket in Alberta . But In BC they pulled me over for speeding, and they asked me if I touched the suspension and of course I said ya. Well they went to there car and got there measuring tape and measured. So BC must be more picker on this kind of thing.

RUQUIKR
03-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I've been about 1 and 3/4 off the ground for a while, I've only been bugged twice. Both times it was for entering a lane very slowly on a angle so I wouldn't bottom out. Both cops said I can get a ticket for being to low to be street driven but were good guys so the let me go with a warning.

ninjak84
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM

Wow that is slammed!!

.... I need to be that low this summer :D

navdeep
03-13-2006, 12:12 PM
i've never had a problem my cars about a inch of the ground

Aleks
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Wow that is slammed!!

.... I need to be that low this summer :D

that's 22" :dunno:

anyways yellow and red reflectors are mandatory in the front and back. They can be independent of the signal lights.

ninjak84
03-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
that's 22" :dunno:

I read it like this: If your headlamps are less than 5.6cm off the ground, you get a ticket...
Right?

seer_claw
03-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

I read it like this: If your headlamps are less than 5.6cm off the ground, you get a ticket...
Right?

NO, did you take math in school? 560mm -> 56 cm or 0.56m

Do you not know the conversions for lengths in metric? :banghead:

90Tegra
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
the rule is if it rubs against your fender u get a ticket. ive been pulled over by a opp and they didn't do nothing just said y is my car bouncing so much ;)

The Cosworth
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
A cop can give you a ticket for any, repeat ANY modifications to a car, I had a friend get pulled over cause the cop saw them racing, and had them there for an hour and gave him over 1400 in tickets. The most bogus one was something like not having the approved shifter nob. From what I know cops just try to use their best judgement. Light modifications, especially color, are a big thing for them. Ride height they could but dont give tickets for unless they see your car having problems or its a saftey issue. Things like tint are important on the front because they cant see who's in it. My friends a cop and said that your tailings have to be red, your side markers either red or amber, headlights the stock brightness white and reverse lights have to be white. Exhaust is a whole other matter, there are other threads on that. If you want to know what is technically legal Call 266-1234 in calgary and ask, they dont mind.