PDA

View Full Version : Cheap upgrades or not?!

topher91
03-17-2003, 09:19 PM
hey guys, just need some info for swapping some engine pieces. I got a 91 Civic DX, I was wondering how much the Intake manifold from the same year Si model would be and how difficult or easy it is to swap it into my 1.5L DX engine. And would it be worth it?? I mean the amount of $$ for the manifold and the gains in the end?? Oh and same for the fuel injectors from an Si too??:dunno:

It can be done rite?? Just wanna small summer project that don't cost too much $$ cuz I'd rather look good then go unbelievably fast!!:D

Weapon_R
03-18-2003, 01:15 AM
It can't be too expensive, but why would you bother?

Unless you've heard some crazy stories about gains, don't bother. I doubt you'd get much power out of a direct swap. If you ported and polished it, maybe a little more, but that wouldn't be cheap anymore.

BigBearWest
03-18-2003, 02:51 AM
i think it would be worth it. you wounldn't much of a gain but your throttle response would faster and u would have multiport for a future motor swap. This is just my opinion.

GTS Jeff
03-18-2003, 10:38 AM
if u switch from dpfi to mpfi u have to mess with wiring.

AutodreamMarvin
03-18-2003, 11:03 AM
it's the best thing you can do for a dx.
you need the complete intake manifold, distributor, ecu and injector resistor box.
10ish hp gains, better throttle response and it will respond better to modification. The wiring isn't that hard to do if you think about it. anyways, if you need the parts I can get them for you.

GTS Jeff
03-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by brbHPR
it's the best thing you can do for a dx.
you need the complete intake manifold, distributor, ecu and injector resistor box.
10ish hp gains, better throttle response and it will respond better to modification. The wiring isn't that hard to do if you think about it. anyways, if you need the parts I can get them for you. how much do parts and labor cost?

im thinking that it might be more worth it to just swap in an si engine.

topher91
03-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Thx brb.......so how much would this set me baK for all the parts?? And if I were to do an engine swap Id swap in a D15b 3 Stage motor..........ne one heard of this one b4?? I called Yoko's about it....only bout $800 for the 140hp JDM engine but the ecu is $300!?!? wtf eh??:werd:

Ya so, bout how much for the part brb??:dunno:

GTS Jeff
03-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by topher91
if I were to do an engine swap Id swap in a D15b 3 Stage motor..........ne one heard of this one b4?? yea the ferio engine. nothing special other than that its good on gas if u dont bag on it..

AutodreamMarvin
03-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by topher91
Thx brb.......so how much would this set me baK for all the parts?? And if I were to do an engine swap Id swap in a D15b 3 Stage motor..........ne one heard of this one b4?? I called Yoko's about it....only bout $800 for the 140hp JDM engine but the ecu is $300!?!? wtf eh??:werd:

Ya so, bout how much for the part brb??:dunno:

Ideally, you're best bet is to have a friend who has just swapped in a zc, b16 or whatever into thier civic/crx, that way you can get it dirt cheap or possibly even free. Realistically though, you are looking at around $300 for the parts. Labour will run you about $200 but if you can do it yourself, all the better.

If you want a sohc vtec, I would suggest getting a d16y8 from the 96-00 civic ex/si. they come with the best intake manifold and cylinder head and you won't have to modify the distributor to make it fit if you are using the d16a6 distributor. Run it with the obd0(d16a6) intake manifold setup and use an rpm activated switch or even better, a vtec controller such as the Apex'i V-AFC to engage VTEC. The price should be around the same as a d15b 3 stage. I wouldn't worry about putting a d15b 3 stage into your car unless you had an EG civic. Converting to OBD1 is too much hassle(and pretty damn expensive) and using the obd0 setup looks to be too much work or may not even work at all.

topher91
03-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanx alot ALL............

Peace