PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Modifications: Wondering what is legal and what is not? Your Answers Are Here

nismodrifter
03-13-2006, 01:05 AM
These types of threads appear almost daily. People are curious as to what modifications are legal and what modifications are considered illegal in the province of Alberta.

All of the rules and regulations regarding motor vehicles (and vehicle equipment/modification) are contained in what is known as the "Traffic Safety Act".

Click The Following Link For A Full Index of Everything Covered By The Traffic Safety Act:
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=T06.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779738533]Traffic Safety Act

In our case, most people are concerned about modifications and equipment regulations in general.

All of the information pertaining to these regulations can be found in the following document
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

The most common questions coming up on Beyond are those regarding tinted windows, headlights, and exhaust modifications. For your sake I have covered the basics of these below starting with exhaust modifications.

[size=2] Before going any further, I urge you to refer to the link titled "Vehicle Equipment Regulations" for ALL the answers to questions regarding vehicle equipment/modifcation. It is the official and comprehensive document which will be able to cover all of the details so you can understand EXACTLY what is allowed and what is not.

1. Exhaust Regulations

Mufflers

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.

(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.

(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

2. Tinted Windows

Window glazing

69(1) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a windshield or in a left or right side window of a motor vehicle that is beside or forward of the driver with a transparent, translucent or opaque material.

(2) A person shall not install, replace or cover the rear window glazing in a motor vehicle with a transparent, translucent or opaque material unless the motor vehicle has outside rear view mirrors on both the left and right that comply with section 72(2).

(7) A person may apply stickers to the window of a motor vehicle only if they do not limit the driver’s field of vision or otherwise impair the safe operation of the motor vehicle.

3. Headlight Modifications
Please refer to the links provided above to get the COMPLETE list of regulations. I have only listed those that apply/relate to most of the questions that have been posted in the past. Most of them are common sense (ie: your car must have 2 headlamps) but I urge you to refer to the complete document so you can become familiar with all of the rules/regulations as there are alot of them.

Headlamps

(2) A headlamp must be mounted so that the centre of the headlamp is not more than 1.4 metres and not less than 560 millimetres above ground level when the motor vehicle is not loaded.

(4) The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear, untinted glazing.
This means that most "ricer bulbs" and yellow headlight bulbs are ILLEGAL

(5) A person shall not attach or apply anything that colours the light from a headlamp to the headlamp, part of the headlamp or a bulb in the headlamps.

High and low beams

(2) A headlamp must have a low beam that can reveal a person or another vehicle that is at least 30 metres ahead.

(3) A headlamp must have a high beam

(b) that does not shine in the eyes of an approaching driver.

Daytime running lamps

12 The daytime running lamps on a motor vehicle may emit amber or white light.

Division 2
Rear Lamps

Tail lamps

(4) A tail lamp must be capable of emitting a red light that is visible from at least 150 metres to the rear.

(6) A tail lamp must turn on and stay lit when the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lit.

Licence plate lamp

14(1) The licence plate of a vehicle must be illuminated by a tail lamp or a separate licence plate lamp so that the licence plate is clearly visible from at least 15 metres to the rear.

(2) A separate licence plate lamp for illuminating the rear licence plate must turn on and stay lit when the head lamps are lit.

(3) A separate licence plate lamp may emit white light.

rc2002
03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
That's a good compilation. I doubt it'll keep people from starting threads on them though. :)

in*10*se
03-15-2006, 03:43 PM
That's pretty sweet. Thx

(are there anything on front/rear turning signals? colors? etc?)

R-Audi
03-15-2006, 07:06 PM
One major point I dont see addressed is HID headlights. They are definately not 'white' but afaik arent illegal in OEM applications.

benyl
03-15-2006, 07:13 PM
HID light is white. OEM application use 4100K temperature and that is actually slightly yellow.

Audis, BMWs, MBs etc are only blue because of the cutoff. The acutal light hitting the ground is white.

R-Audi
03-16-2006, 09:13 AM
I didnt think all OEM used 4100k.. And although the light may be white on the ground, its certainly not coming from the headlight. I thought there was a range that they used.
I also thought the color was due to the reflector, not the cutoff..

Goblin
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
BMW oem is 4300K, fyi

pressure_ratio
04-17-2006, 02:11 AM
(4) A tail lamp must be capable of emitting a red light that is visible from at least 150 metres to the rear.

(6) A tail lamp must turn on and stay lit when the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lit.

Found this kinda interesting.Acording to this,clear tail lights aern't illegal as long as they emit a red light...but they still are a ricer mod,lol

The exhaust rule is kinda mickey mouse also.
What the hell is a "widened"outlet?Shouldn't that be increased diameter?So if I had a dual tip muffler how woud that work?Also you could have a 6" exhaust as long as the tip wasn"t "widened"

nismodrifter
04-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by pressure_ratio

Found this kinda interesting.Acording to this,clear tail lights aern't illegal as long as they emit a red light...but they still are a ricer mod,lol

The exhaust rule is kinda mickey mouse also.
What the hell is a "widened"outlet?Shouldn't that be increased diameter?So if I had a dual tip muffler how woud that work?Also you could have a 6" exhaust as long as the tip wasn"t "widened"

You need to check out the whole document. A ricer APC taillight is NOT DOT/SAE/Whatever approved meaning that it is ILLEGAL. It is covered at very start of the lighting section which says that all lamps must be DOT/SAE/Whatever certified.

Tech2
04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.

Doesn't that mean that you can't make the outlet of a muffler bigger than normal? So if you change the WHOLE muffler, you are not widening anything. And so you should be legal, right?

Tech2
04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Anyone care to comment?

Eleanor
04-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Tech2

Doesn't that mean that you can't make the outlet of a muffler bigger than normal? So if you change the WHOLE muffler, you are not widening anything. And so you should be legal, right?

I would assume that replacing the entire muffler is perfectly legal as there are tons of them around town and it would be pretty hard to hide some of those fart cans from the cops. My interpretation of it would be that you can't just take a hammer to your muffler to widen the opening.

QuasarCav
04-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I would assume that replacing the entire muffler is perfectly legal as there are tons of them around town and it would be pretty hard to hide some of those fart cans from the cops. My interpretation of it would be that you can't just take a hammer to your muffler to widen the opening.

Nope, if you muffler is 2" going in, it better be 2" going out.

Tech2
04-26-2006, 04:53 PM

So a tapering tip wider at the end that it is comming out of the muffler (like mine is stock, if I'm not mistaken) is illegal, but a muffler with 4 inches straight out the muffler is fine.

I don't know, that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

What about a muffler that is like a 3 inch pipe before the muffler going into 2 duals after the muffler?

This law is not clear, that's for sure. I'd sure like to hear some experts chime in.

And just what is the problem with a widened tip anyways?

Eleanor
04-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Nope, if you muffler is 2" going in, it better be 2" going out.

So you can modify the entire exhaust system, but you can't just rip off the muffler and replace it with one of those cheap ones from Canadian Tire? Odd, as like I said there are tons of them around town. Anyone know the reasons behind this?

qbnb
05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
just out of curiosity, do these rules apply to older cars? for example, a 1970's camaro. i'm pretty sure its exhaust has been heavily modified and is in no way quiet. does anyone know the rules in regards to age?

Kennyredline
05-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by qbnb
just out of curiosity, do these rules apply to older cars? for example, a 1970's camaro. i'm pretty sure its exhaust has been heavily modified and is in no way quiet. does anyone know the rules in regards to age? check with your insurance company...im with ama, and they want to know anything i do to modify my car, if they don't like it, they won't insure me...

JspecB16
05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by qbnb
just out of curiosity, do these rules apply to older cars? for example, a 1970's camaro. i'm pretty sure its exhaust has been heavily modified and is in no way quiet. does anyone know the rules in regards to age?

Most cops are in the age group that if they saw a nice 1970 camaro, they would be too impressed to even think about writing a ticket! :D

gwild
05-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the post - just replacing my daughter's prelude tail lamps - with clear - and was pretty sure I had to replace the turn signal bulbs with amber - now I know that it is a definate yes (or with red).

Rgds...Geoff

Eleanor
07-12-2006, 11:51 PM
So I just read through the whole thing but I didn't see anything about engine mods though. On the HKS website it lists its turbos as "Off-Road Use Only". But what exactly makes them illegal on the streets? I would assume that they'd be legal, but that insurance companies wouldn't want to cover you. Anyone have any problems insuring their cars with extensive mods?

snowboard
07-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
So I just read through the whole thing but I didn't see anything about engine mods though. On the HKS website it lists its turbos as "Off-Road Use Only". But what exactly makes them illegal on the streets? I would assume that they'd be legal, but that insurance companies wouldn't want to cover you. Anyone have any problems insuring their cars with extensive mods?

that would be for the United States i beleive.
we have no engine modification laws do we?

Annoyingrob
09-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by gwild
Thanks for the post - just replacing my daughter's prelude tail lamps - with clear - and was pretty sure I had to replace the turn signal bulbs with amber - now I know that it is a definate yes (or with red).

Rgds...Geoff

Rear turn signal indicators must be yellow or red. Front turn signal indicators must be yellow or white.

humm3r
11-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Ok for Ontario I was wondering on the legality of some horns for my 93 mercury sable. I found some horns on www.hornblasters.com and was wondering if it would be legal to put this http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?item=PSY2 on my car. any information would be greatly appreciated because of course the MTO hasnt replied to my emails yet after like a week. so yeah anyone know if its legal or not, because the highway traffic act simply says no unesscesary noise but sometimes you need to alert people your there and these would do the trick quite well.

FiveFreshFish
11-26-2006, 11:44 AM
^^^ Those air horns are way too much. Get Hella for about half the price. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/horns.asp

You better make sure you have room for air horns. If not, buy the diaphram style that are more compact and easier to mount.

I don't know about the legality of louder aftermarket horns in Ontario; my guess is that they're okay.

humm3r
11-26-2006, 11:52 AM
yea im not worried bout price im just using those for example for whether its legal or not...i do have the room just is it legal?

***EDIT***

here is the highway traffic act that im a bit confused on as to if its legal or not for air horns on a 4 door sedan:

Unnecessary noise

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

Alarm bell to be sounded

(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).

kinda contradicts itself a little, but i think it is legal however my friend who is a mechanic student says its not. what do you guys think?

EDIT: i called the MTO was sent to call MTO enforcement who sent me to call Transport Canada who told me theres nothing there for aftermarket horns and sound laws for it. then called the local cops who told me as long as its not being hammered repeatedly for no reason im good then was told by them to call the provincial prosecution court or w/e who wasnt there so i deem them legal:D

black_radiation
02-02-2007, 12:40 AM
I dunno about the whole White signal lights in the front, ive got 4 tickets to prove it, yeah thats right TWO, they gave me a ticket for each individual front signal light and each individual rear (57$ x 4) and the exhaust thing is bogus too as i had 3" inlet and 3" outlet all the way through and i still got nailed with the 157$ ticket... all in one shot for doing nothing, 10 houses away from my place lol

Loud-N-Clear
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by humm3r
Alarm bell to be sounded

(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).

Thats sweet, next mod is to replace my horn with a gong.:bigpimp:

T78Supra1
03-08-2007, 09:51 PM

This is becuase HKS does not want to be liable to you driving into a tree.

JGerke
06-27-2007, 10:31 AM
k...its pretty clear to me the rule regarding mufflers means you cannot legally widen your exhaust from STOCK dimensions. Therefore, all those fart cans ARE illegal and you SHOULD get a ticket. also makes it clear (to me) that almost all aftermarket exhausts/mufflers would be considered illegal since they increase noise....Parts are for off-road or race use only to limit liability (they likely aren't approved for road use).

caddytwix
06-27-2007, 11:53 AM
61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.

I would love to know what constitutes excessive noise. There's no mention of a decibal limit.

And the human ear is not accurate enough to decide what is excessive or not properly, why?

Because some cars have a distinct sound wave pattern that will make them stand out over other noises. They aren't louder, they're just more noticeable, while other exhaust noises will blend in with the surrounding environment.

So how can you be guilty, if you can't prove what's excessive?

JGerke
06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

they dont have to prove its excessive...this basically means any aftermarket 'performance' exhaust.

And beyond that, its at a cops discretion...aka your screwed.

caddytwix
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by JGerke

they dont have to prove its excessive...this basically means any aftermarket 'performance' exhaust.

And beyond that, its at a cops discretion...aka your screwed.

It doesn't basically mean anything. There's no sub description of what the bylaw means. It says what it says.

For this particular one:

"device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise"

Even if you have an aftermarket muffler or exhaust system, if there is nothing attached to it "that increases the noise". Do you have a device attached to your muffler that increases the noise? I know I don't.

Of course it's the cops discretion when they write you the ticket. However it's not their discretion when you get the ticket thrown out by a justice of the peace when they realize how stupid this is. I've had all three of my muffler tickets thrown out in the past two years. These laws are just way too ambiguous to ticket someone who will fight the system.

I'm hearing things like "what it basically means" or "what they're trying to say" when you can't do that. It says what it says. The law is the law, how it's written. And if it's written to allow for loopholes, then power to the people who want their freedom.

If a contract has a weakness that allows someone to get out of it, you can't say "well the contract really means to say this so no you can't get out of the contract".

Trini
07-24-2007, 06:06 PM
good info here, cleared up some questions for me

wintonyk
07-24-2007, 06:35 PM
i think unnecessary noise would be like these whistlers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupWfAZIgighttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupWfAZIgig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupWfAZIgig

autosm
10-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Funniest thing I have seen today

"""""Dats onli in da monin' You posta be up cookin' breffist fo somebody. And so, dats like an alarm clock. WOO WOO""""""

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaXa55ONxvQ&mode=related&search=

Better not come to my neighborhood LOL

climer
03-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Has anyone here been convicted of a muffler offense?

I'm thinking of installing a Borla XR-1 catback and although it has an in-line muffler, it's the closest you can get to a pair of straight pipes.

The last thing I want to do is spent $800 on an exhaust which will accumulate $800/yr in tickets. :nut:

SkittleFreak
03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
i had a ractive muffler on my first 240, 3" all the way back on my current 240, cops have driven right behind me, checked my plates, and drove away. i havn't had problems with my mufflers yet.

cyrusli
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I posted an earlier rant on how my OPI failed.. so i'll give it the muffler and the entire exhaust system.. but suspension/coilovers? sway bar? if it doesn't pass the OPI, so what? the cops gonna start pulling over people that lower their cars? that doesn't make sense.

cyrusli
04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
in addition, i take my car down ot the track.. mufflers a given, i don't rev higher than 4500rpm..heck, vtec hsan't even kicked in.. it's not that loud if you drive with caution. yes, the cops can still do a routine check, but that's about it.. and if they ticket you/me, then its just a bad day. I just don't like how the law has "labelled" so to speak, all cars that are modified. Yeah, i agree, there are a number of yahoos and what not, but hey, what can you do...

Big_Dreamer
05-16-2008, 05:53 AM
1. Exhaust Regulations

Mufflers

now see my problem here is does anyone know how to get around this without having to change the muffler? cuz i got stopped last night and its been bugging me so damn much i havent been able to sleep but i was thinknig of shoving a piece of wired mesh into the muffler and welding it in place so that im not restricting anything really but for the next time a pig shoved his lovly little test sttick n there hed get a surprise and see that its posibly legal anyone think it would fly ?

Criticull
07-09-2008, 12:00 AM
haha, to think the number of people the cops could pull over for illegal mods given that list and don't. Good times, thanks for that.

Eleanor
07-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Criticull
haha, to think the number of people the cops could pull over for illegal mods given that list and don't. Good times, thanks for that.

AFAIK most won't pull you over for most of these things, unless you're driving like a jackass or already got pulled over and are giving the cop lip.

Couple of my buddies have been pulled over with tint/exhaust and the cop didn't even mention those things.

fivesn6s
09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
are blacked out reflectors illegal? If they are are smoked alright?

v2kai
12-26-2008, 08:11 PM
the whole muffler and decibel argument is ridiculous, what about motorcycles...harleys and such can be bloody loud? how does that work for them?

are license plate covers illegal?

cyrusli
03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
the whole muffler and decibel argument is ridiculous, what about motorcycles...harleys and such can be bloody loud? how does that work for them?

the muffler arguments are ridiculous, though I have never been pulled over before. I'm not sure if the same applies in Calgary, but I know people from other police departments and they told me that the muffler needs to be a certain height above the ground (or the tip at least), the size is not the issue, i mean some trucks have huge exhausts, doesn't seem to be an issue with them. So yeah, cops that pull you over and tell you the exhaust is too big, ask them where it says that.. from what I know, it's the distance between the muffler and the ground that they can "legally" give you a ticket.

As for decibels, i keep my silencer on unless i'm at the track.. and even if i didn't have teh silencer, just don't tear one when yuo're around cops.. if yuo don't show signs of "vroom vroom" and drive normally (relative term), you should be okay.

licence plate covers, no. with LED's or anything obstructing the numbers, yes.

extm88
03-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by v2kai

A retired constable told me that police will not ticket motorcycles because it is safer to have a loud exhaust as they are such a tiny vehicle.
He said that anytime he pulled someone over it was really on why you got pulled over if he was going to take the next step and ticket you for mods.
He also said that window tint is hardly ever a issue if you get pulled over for something minor and are polite. Roll your window down right away and answer the questions.

extm88
03-03-2009, 01:07 PM
^^ Although at the end of the day it is "illegal" so dont be shocked if you do get a ticket.

(had to add that in)

Moezer
04-05-2009, 02:42 AM
this whole system is currupet as goes this whole world they tell u you have freedom of speach and what not but if u see a girl with a 7 inch skirt and u tell her nice ass thats hurrasment right pfft retarted government, yeah cars that go from 0 to 60 in like 2.5 secs are ok for the road but cost alot of money but when u mod your car to make it 0 to 60 in 5 secs then u are illigaly modyfying your car to go faster lol pfft

Genjuro
04-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Big_Dreamer
1. Exhaust Regulations

Mufflers

I think they really are just looking for an exhaust muffler that is 2+ inches and sound like an obvious ricer fart can. My proof:
I used to have an Integra with a larger exhaust tip that was 3 inches. it produced a higher pitch than stock and I did in fact get a ticket for that.
My more recent car (240) that I have for a few years now has a full 3" exhaust but the muffler tips (apexi dual) are 2 1/2 inches. It produces a very low deep sound. I have yet to receive a ticket for it. *knock on wood*
I have been pulled over a few times in this car and they have never ticketed me for any "performance" mods.

Moezer
04-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Genjuro

I have been pulled over a few times in this car and they have never ticketed me for any "performance" mods.

depends on the prick cop that stops u most the time its good cop bad cop u might get a light tickit or bad cop bad cop where they both fuk u up on things u have on ur car, good cop gives u a warning, bad cop spits at u and takes advantage of his badge... once my friend got pulled over for having those lights on the water sprayers for the window the cop came down gave us the tickit then he went around the car and told him the muffer he has on is illigal and that he should remove it... then he said ill giveu a chance this time but we still got the tickit for the LED lights its dumb

5000Audi
04-05-2009, 04:09 AM
another question about the muffler issue, i was watching a episode of Stacey ? gears, and he put a STS twin turbo kit on a corvette, he also said that the turbos are like a muffler and deaden the sound thus not having to put mufflers after the STS turbo kit??? is this true?

Supa Dexta
04-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Yes a turbo muffles the sound. But it still comes down to sound output, and being an annoyance. I know some guys that get by with a straight 4" piece of pipe dumped out of there front bumper, but it all depends on how quiet you keep yourself when the heat is around.

5000Audi
04-05-2009, 04:21 AM
yeah i have 3 inch turbo back on my audi, it goes into a fart can, but ive wanted to unhook the downpipe-3inch and see what it dose, so i wondered if it was ok, guess i will do it and see how loud it is, its a 5 cyl engine so it might be loud haha

1slw4dr
04-08-2009, 11:42 PM
i just got pulled over the other day for my tint just when i got out of the car wash so of course my windows were up and the cop seen me from the other side of the road pulled over and waited for me to pass by him to pull me over i got a 57 ticket and this other yellow ticket saying i have 60 days to pull my tint off or i get my car impounded and the cop completly ignored the exhaust
still bullshit
i seen like 5 cars with darker tint than mine drive by while i was pulled over
it fucken ruined my day:banghead:

5000Audi
04-10-2009, 01:13 AM
ok, question for those who may know, On my Audi i got the 3 inch turbo back exhaust to a fart cannon, if i were to pull off my fart cannon and run just the 3 inch pipe, will it be louder with or without the muffler...

any input would be awsome

se7en
04-10-2009, 11:11 AM
louder without the muffler.

I think the widened law thingy is regarding the 1950's tradition of welding or widening the exhaust tip to like a megaphone size.....which would make it substantially louder...

?who knows?

berbatov
04-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by black_radiation
ticket [...] 10 houses away from my place lol

Hm weird, as the law states that if you are within 11 houses (or less)of your house, you are exempt from tickets ..

JTC180
04-14-2009, 03:35 PM
:D

kprigotz
05-19-2009, 02:11 PM
So I am wanting to make it so my turn signals are like a white or something to that effect but not sure if one if its illegal and two if it would be an LED type of light i would need or what.

Thanks

U4RIA
07-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Just got pulled over for having clear signal lights. Car is a 97 Civic Si with stock tail lights. I guess your signal lights have to be yellow or red or else you're gonna get a ticket. :dunno:

evilancer
09-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Great thread! Thanks to the Author for takin' the time!

scat19
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't want to see "last post by evillancer" in the column anymore. This is why I post here.

car123
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Vince1
01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Gotta love Alberta... last time I got pulled over doing 140 on the ring road the cop didn't even say f all about my exhaust and lack of mud flaps.

Sugarphreak
03-09-2010, 09:03 PM

K3RMiTdot
05-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 1slw4dr
i just got pulled over the other day for my tint just when i got out of the car wash so of course my windows were up and the cop seen me from the other side of the road pulled over and waited for me to pass by him to pull me over i got a 57 ticket and this other yellow ticket saying i have 60 days to pull my tint off or i get my car impounded and the cop completly ignored the exhaust
still bullshit
i seen like 5 cars with darker tint than mine drive by while i was pulled over
it fucken ruined my day:banghead: \

yours isnt half as bad as mine. i pulled into my driveway after work, my windows were rolled down, the cops just happen to be accross my house for whatever fucking reason. walks accross the street and says roll your windows up. then tickets me, infront of my house as my dad pulls in.

my shit was completely done from the dealership, car was like that when i picked it up. brand fucking new too

Ukyo8
05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Those laws are stupid, flames out the exhaust FTW :D

dj techsta
07-13-2010, 10:32 AM
So I know DRLs are to be white or amber only, but is there any laws about placement of said lights? Ie front bumper or as fog lights?

Also for the part that states a person may not apply anything that adds coloration to the headlamp, does thar include headlight tint, which darkens as opposed to changes color output?

bhog
08-30-2010, 10:27 AM
i just got a ticket for having my fog lights and high beams on at the same time does anyone know if this is an actually traffic violation? also the ticket says no use low beams while fogs lights used am i able to get outta this ticket?

dj techsta
08-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bhog
i just got a ticket for having my fog lights and high beams on at the same time does anyone know if this is an actually traffic violation? also the ticket says no use low beams while fogs lights used am i able to get outta this ticket?

If it was in the city then if I recall correctly use of high beams within city limits is against the law, so that would be why u got the ticket. Not cuz ur fog lights were on. As for ticket wording dunno bout that one. Talk to one of those traffic defense lawyers, most of them do free evaluations

FraserB
08-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Fog lights and hi beams can not be used at the same time, hi beams can not be used in the city.

CorollaXRS
09-11-2010, 11:55 PM
what is the definition of "(b) that does not shine in the eyes of an approaching driver."

so if HID headlight is shining in our eye while we r infront of them is ok??

Disoblige
09-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by CorollaXRS
what is the definition of "(b) that does not shine in the eyes of an approaching driver."

so if HID headlight is shining in our eye while we r infront of them is ok??
It's not okay actually. But I have yet to ever see or even hear about any stories relating to HIDs being installed in Halogen housings.

gyu
09-25-2010, 08:49 PM
"
(4) The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear, untinted glazing."

Does that mean that 8000k hid is actually illegal? Seems like that is pretty common.

And is there anything against yellow fogs? I always turn mine off if I see a police vehicle around just in case,

lison
12-29-2010, 12:49 AM
I was rear ended and my license plate had a clear cover over it, according to the cop they are illegal too.

r32skyline15
05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
so i understand all the talk of headlights...what about marker lights... as i have three lights per headlight assembly... far outside ones light up blue... next ones in are high beam middle ones are low beam... i can cruise with just my low beams...or press a button and put my blue marker lights on... are these said marker lights illegal to have color bulbs in? any reference to the law on this would be appreciated

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Pretty sure blue bulbs are illegal all together.

Unknown303
05-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah markers have to be amber/yellow/orange... somewhere in that part of the color spectrum I believe.

Bizzareo
05-05-2011, 06:56 PM
The only way around these is if the car was made before the law was in place.

Ex in my dads '53 chev, we don't have to have, wear or otherwise utilize seat belts. But we do since it has crazy power (700! :burnout: )

Troll-ol
05-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by gyu
"
(4) The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear, untinted glazing."

Does that mean that 8000k hid is actually illegal? Seems like that is pretty common.

And is there anything against yellow fogs? I always turn mine off if I see a police vehicle around just in case, I ran 8000k for a while now and have never been bothered, even sitting right behind cops and they don't say anything.

TheHumbleGeek
09-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by r32skyline15
are these said marker lights illegal to have color bulbs in? any reference to the law on this would be appreciated

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Pretty sure blue bulbs are illegal all together.

Originally posted by Unknown303
Yeah markers have to be amber/yellow/orange... somewhere in that part of the color spectrum I believe.

So, short answer, Yup, blue bulbs are illegal... Not just because of all the colour regulations specified in this thread (and in the Traffic Safety Act itself) but also because as far as i am aware (did research many years ago, so it may have changed) red and blue are considered "restricted" colours for the front of a vehicle, and blue is restricted for the rear. Now, I also remember reading that some provinces have also restricted the use of green lights as well, reserving that colour for volunteer fire departments, with the intended purpose being that a volunteer firefighter can use such a light to REQUEST permission from other drivers to allow them to cross against right-of-way and to REQUEST drivers to pull to the side and allow them safe passage. Difference is that on red and blue lights are used to COMPEL drivers to do that, IE: still voluntary, but way less so. Course, i should probably also point out that if that particular officer is having a REALLY bad day (or you start acting like a lippy little dipstick) he CAN charge you with Impersonating a peace officer...
Canadian Criminal Code Citation:

Personating peace officer

130. (1) Everyone commits an offence who

(a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

(b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.
Punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 130;
2009, c. 28, s. 2.

Now, i will grant you that you would have to be a complete moron to believe that a police department IN NORTH AMERICA would use acura's, honda's and nissan's for traffic duty, but then again, look at some of the idiots on alberta roads...

speedog
09-30-2013, 07:37 AM
2+ year bump - why?

spikerS
09-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by speedog
2+ year bump - why?

why not?

he could have started a new thread if you like that option better...

speedog
09-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Well it is interesting how beyond, as a rule, seems critical of some bumps and not others. Even more interesting considering that nothing new was added to the thread and as such, as he wasn't posing a question, what would've been the value of starting a new thread - just to enlighten us with something that appears to already have been settled?

Never the less, bump away - let's go for ten years.

TheHumbleGeek
09-30-2013, 08:30 AM
My reason for the bump had nothing to do with a 2year gap, and was pretty much a more direct answer to the question asked by r32skyline15 regarding the legality of blue lights, particularily the part about providing references to applicable laws, thats all. Of course, the fact this thread was stickied at the very top also pointed it out to me...

speedog
09-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Never mind then as I didn't notice it was stickied.

krprice84
04-09-2015, 01:23 PM
A few things here, as there's tons of misinformation.

The exhaust part is talking about MODIFYING your existing exaust.

i.e. you CAN NOT cut open your factory muffler, remove baffles, rivet it back together, and fart your way down the road. You also can not remove the muffler completely.

If you put on an aftermarket muffler, that is fine - it is made that way from the factory. Inlet and outlet size shouldn't matter either, so long as it isn't modified from how it was created originally.

As for the guy who got a ticket for a 3" in/out... my guess is, the car is louder than f**k and the cop didn't like it. There are noise bylaws that prohibit you from operating a vehicle that makes too much noise. Often aren't enforced unless you're being a douche, but sometimes a cop has an itch to scratch, and you're right there.

I know this from dealing with cars and motorcycles - it's not illegal at all to install an aftermarket Akro or Hindle or whatever exhaust on your bike, but you damn sure can't pop the rivets on the can, pull the packing/baffles out, rivet it back, and ride on your merry way (not legally anyways). The other side of that coin is, if the modification isn't obvious, they're not likely to be able to tell. If it's worth the risk, go for it.

Best advice is to get a GOOD exhaust that isn't annoying or obnoxious and not to drive like a tool bag. Drive like you don't want to be noticed, and you won't be. These retards driving their civics and hyundai's around in 1st gear, buzzing in and out of lanes, and generally acting a fool... those are the guys the cops go after.

As for headlights, any non DOT certified assembly is illegal. Hands down. Get caught with it and it's a fine, and possibly a vehicle inspection (quite likely, given it's a light).

For bulbs, the ricer blue/white/purple ones that have a coating on the bulb are ILLEGAL. Not only that, they reduce your light output and make you look like a knob.

Here is one section from the Alberta Vehicle Equipment Reg:

(5) A person shall not attach or apply anything that colours the
light from a headlamp to the headlamp, part of the headlamp or a
bulb in the headlamps.

For HID's, the "drop in" HID "kits" that are simply a HID bulb with a 9006 (or other) base put onto it are ILLEGAL. When installed into a regular housing, that housing is no longer DOT compliant, because it was designed for another type of bulb. Furthermore, it is stupid. The reflector in a halogen-type headlight assembly is designed to reflect light coming from a very specific location on the bulb itself. Moving that location even a few millimeters changes the way the light is reflected and can very easily blind other drivers. Every time I see someone driving with one of those kits on their vehicle, I put on my high beams AS WELL AS all four 100 watt off road lights, just to let them know how it feels to be blinded by an idiot.

If you want HID's in your vehicle, do it right, and retro fit it. It is legal grey area, depending on the type of headlight you use to retrofit. If you don't cut up a factory one, and simply shoe-horn it in, then you're fine for sure. if you cut up a factory headlight, and use the projector from it, then you're VERY LIKELY illegal, technically, as your headlight assembly is no longer DOT compliant. But (big but), it's not obnoxious, not blinding, and actually lights up the road FAR better than a drop in HID or the factory halogens, and it blinds people FAR less than either of the other two. I've done that retrofit on my truck, and while yes, I'm risking the cops not liking it, I've never had a problem with it, never been flashed before (except when I'm making a point to the drop-in idiots), and I've had cops look at, and notice, the "cool HID headlights" on my truck twice.

As for signal lights, if you use the clear corners type thing, make sure they are DOT, and if they're not, they're illegal. If they're not DOT, make sure they are bright and not obnoxious, and you'll likely be left alone. If you have blue or green lights in them, you're a damn fool and deserve the ticket you get. If you have red lights (even in the signals) on the front of the vehicle in any way (i.e. visible from the front, except for lights that wrap around slightly on the rear), they are illegal, and you'll likely get a ticket.

Blue lights, green lights, yellow lights, whatever.... here is what it says about colored lights:

Colour
17(1) A lamp on the rear of a vehicle must emit red light unless
this Regulation permits another colour.

13(2) Back-up lamps that are lit only when a vehicle is backing up
may emit white light.

It does not say anything about those stupid looking blue washer sprayer lights, or any other blue lights. It is stupid, and annoying, but I don't see anything in the law about forward facing blue/green/purple whatever lights. Your signal lights must be amber (i.e. they CAN NOT be white/blue/purple/green/penis colored) on the front and red or amber on the back (i.e. they can not be white/blue/purple/green/penis colored). As long as your turn signals are the correct color, you shouldn't run afoul of the law by putting ugly blue accent lights on the front of the vehicle.

As for underbody lights, I didn't find anything about it. I may have missed something, and maybe those ugly accent lights along with underbody lights are illegal... this i'm open to correction on.