PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Repair

celica girl
03-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum... has anyone tried this???
www.langka.com (http://coldfusion.affiliateshop.com/AIDLink.cfm?AID=031133&BID=2105)
It's like $20 US a bottle

speedracer
03-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Nothing short of a repaint will repair paint chips.

Reminds me of DD7 or something like that - crayons that you would buff into the finish:rofl:

bigboom
03-17-2003, 10:28 PM
some stuff you might want to try is that turtle wax chap stick type stuff along with the coloured wax and touch up paint maybe?

ive heard thats the turtle wax stuff is ok not sure tho...

Fuji
03-18-2003, 01:34 AM
I have learned that if you want to touch up stuff you will have to get the damn thig repainted or it looks like shit.

RiceCake
03-18-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Fuji
I have learned that if you want to touch up stuff you will have to get the damn thig repainted or it looks like shit.

:werd: I've tried using the Toyota touch up pens, and it looks like ass when you fill in the chip.

I have yet to try the color wax stuff. :dunno: Anybody have experiences to share about this stuff?

98type_r
03-18-2003, 02:47 AM
nothing is ever going to work, the chip will always be there...
just another fact of life, it you want it to look like new. get it repainted

RiceCake
03-18-2003, 03:24 AM
Only reason I use the touch up paint is to prevent nearby paint from flaking when washing and also to prevent some yucky rust spots.

Gripenfelter
03-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
some stuff you might want to try is that turtle wax chap stick type stuff along with the coloured wax and touch up paint maybe?

I used that on my friend's blue camaro to cover a scratch that was down to the metal and also a paint chip on my car.

Works great but only lasts a few car washes. :D

rsxrsx
03-18-2003, 09:28 AM
Yeah i'm not really keen on do-it-yourself touch-up paint, on my current car i have a fair size rock chip on the front bumper, i used the acura touch-up paint carefully to fill the chip, it looks like shit still, :thumbsdow i'm very unhappy about it:(

celica girl
03-18-2003, 09:29 AM
Looks like I'll have to get it painted with my kit... :(

Darlene
03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
My hood was badly chipped I thought I would have to paint it. But a friend advised I try something new. I ordered this kit and it really worked well. Check out
http://www.paintchipkit.com I was amazed at how well this eliminates chips.

benyl
03-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Darlene
My hood was badly chipped I thought I would have to paint it. But a friend advised I try something new. I ordered this kit and it really worked well. Check out
http://www.paintchipkit.com I was amazed at how well this eliminates chips.

Darlene seems to have joined just to reply to this thread. Google works wonders when you are trying to promote you site... lol

To use touch up paint, you really have to sand down the edges of the chip to make it work. But that still doesn't do the trick... as everyone has said... repaint.

?????
03-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah i was wondering the same thing celica girl.

A fellow member of the mazda3forums used this stuff and filmed it. He had a great experience with it but there was both positive and negative feedback about this product.

Heres his video: http://www.mazda3zoomzoom.com/videos/touchup.mov

Mothers also makes a similar product...

http://www.autobarn.net/mot08540.html

Weapon_R
03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Has anyone bought some yet? If so, post up your reviews. If not, i'll buy some and do my own

?????
03-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I didn't notice the thread is from 2003 haha

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

I tried that turtle wax stuff......the chipstick as they call it sux. It's a lot of work to fill and fill and fill the hole especially if their deep. And even after that it doesn't do that good a job. I found the chipstick worked better with really minor scratches instead. And still it was a bich to remove.

The wax on the other hand is awesome. I tried it on my car and it really brought out the color. But that's prolly cuz of the color in the wax.

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake

:werd: I've tried using the Toyota touch up pens, and it looks like ass when you fill in the chip.

I have yet to try the color wax stuff. :dunno: Anybody have experiences to share about this stuff?

:werd: toyota touch pens = ass. color does not match and is always all over the place.

IMO get it repainted professionally.

X_plorer
03-08-2005, 03:46 PM
If it is chips down to the metal you need to use paint to fill them to stop the rusting. I had some pry and emblem off my car with a key or screwdriver on the trunk lid and they scratched down to bare metal. I filled it in with the appropriate paint for my vehicle, took several coats to fill in the deep scratches, looks okay, better than rust at least. I also found using a toothpick to apply a drop of paint is a lot more exact then the little brushes or pens the dealerships give you. Let the coats dry fully in between applications too. But yes nothing will look as good as an entire new paint job :(

celica girl
03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Wow this is an old thread! I ended up getting a bottle... and the stuff isn't bad... but I only used it once. I gave up on the stock hood and got a CF hood instead. A friend of mine borrowed it to take off some of the touch up paint that the lexus dealership put on his car (cuz they did a crappy job) and he said it was great for that!