PDA

View Full Version : Latest Side Project: Crankshaft Lamp

AllGoNoShow
03-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Inspired from:

http://www.campbelllevydesigns.com/index.html

I'm goign to be using my old v6 2.8L Camaro crank I have lying around to whip up a lammp hopefully, going to try and get a hold of some granite as my buddies do construction and refinishing so hopefully we can find something to make a good base.

Anyone know where to buy the lamp light bulb holding part, I'm assuming Home Depot or the liking?

Will also be building that v8 engine table I wanted to by the looks of it, but that will be when its warmer out, sticking with the small stuff first :)

Let me know what you guys think, post your ideas if u got some more auto-related decorating ideas :)

BerserkerCatSplat
03-13-2006, 10:01 PM
No way, you too? I've been collecting parts for my automotive furniture project for months! :rofl:

As far as light fixtures go, Home Depot is the place for the sockets themselves, but the lampshade might have to be sourced from elsewhere. Also remember that you have to run the power cable through the center of the crankshaft, so you'll probably need a very,very long drill bit.

AllGoNoShow
03-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Yah I work in the industrial area now so on lunch ima try and find some place with a very very long drill bit :P I haven't actuall ylooked at my crank yet, I just know I got one I can use :D

The lampshade I will probably hit up something like Pier 1 or so, a little higher quality then WalMart :P

What all you plan on making? I know some rim bar stools would be sweet too :D I'm also thinking driveshaft corner lamp thing.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-13-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm looking at doing the engine block side table, crankshaft/camshaft standing lamp, and valve cover/head desk lamp. I'm just waiting for some warmer weather, since my garage isn't heated. :(

AllGoNoShow
03-13-2006, 10:13 PM
That valve cover idea is a good one ahah, would work well :D

BerserkerCatSplat
03-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah, we'll see how it goes. That rim barstool idea is a heck of a good one, too! The driveshaft floor lamp might be a bit on the heavy side, but it'd be swank if you could find a way to keep it stable.

AllGoNoShow
03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
more granite hahahah, seems to be the best heavy stablizer for things like that :D I wouldn't mind doing a rear trunk into seat on wall idea like you always see in movies and such but I don't got the room to put it if I did it so that will have to wait.

AllGoNoShow
03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Thoguht of another one, rim sidetables/night stands I might do that one :D:D

schurchill39
03-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I am doing a front/rear bumper bench. I am taking the bumpers from my parts car and making a plain box that i am attaching them to then just add a padded top on hinges. Kinda hard to explain but when it warms up and i have time to do it I will post pictures

nismodrifter
03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
VWHooligan here on Beyond made some Brock side tables. Hella pimpz:

http://www.defaced.net/simon/misc/brocktable2.jpg

http://www.defaced.net/simon/misc/brocktable1.jpg

AllGoNoShow
03-14-2006, 12:15 AM
yah I got that idea as well except instead of putting them on stands I would use hubs and axels and control arms to make the whole table, keep it all auto related :)