PDA

View Full Version : Painting the Valve Cover

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-14-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a swapped engine and it doesn't exactly color match my car... and I was wondering how easy it would be to paint the valve cover myself... I was looking into buying a mugen one for around 120 USD but thats a little steep considering i'm still a student... Any suggestions on how to go about this? type of paint that wont come off from the heat. Can it be done without being sent to a shop?
It's a B16A. Thanks

And yes, I did search it already.

heavyD
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
You can try a decent high temp paint. It will look decent for a while but probably end up flaking or scratching very easliy.

I always get mine powdercoated. I've got various valve covers (B16, 4G63, SRT-4) done in white, red, black, etc and have never had any issues with durability

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
How much did the cost usually come around to?

teggypimp95
03-14-2006, 03:48 PM
yea i used high heat spray paint on my b18b head, it looks great for a while but soon flaked and bubbled and then looked liek crap. so i splurged for the mugen valve cover and i loved it. looked soo awesome.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-14-2006, 04:39 PM
where can i get the paint? i'll probably follow the same route... high temp paint till the summer when i can work full time

teggypimp95
03-14-2006, 04:42 PM
i just got some from canandian tire. high heat engine paint. but there is all kinds, and for all kinds of surfaces so read carfully. and check to see if there is any high heat primer or sealer, could also help the life of the paint job.

rony_espana
03-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
You can try a decent high temp paint. It will look decent for a while but probably end up flaking or scratching very easliy.

I always get mine powdercoated. I've got various valve covers (B16, 4G63, SRT-4) done in white, red, black, etc and have never had any issues with durability

how much is that?

dieselpower91
03-14-2006, 04:51 PM
I painted mine and they still look fine. I would suggest sanding it down with 320 then 400 then do a couple coats of primer after a good clean then use the high temp paint. That the way I did it. Although it is more suceptable to scratches.
I guess the difference would be that my valve cover is plastic and yours would be metal.

Here is a pic: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2265000-2265999/2265791_23_full.jpg

teggypimp95
03-14-2006, 05:06 PM
yeah for best results for doing it urself, strip it down to complete metal. can be tough.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-14-2006, 05:16 PM
its just a temp... i'm just sick of the fuggly yellow with the marker sayinfg what kind of engine it is, lol

INITIALD
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerosearch :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-15-2006, 02:18 AM
Would I be able to get aircraft paint remover? Seems like an easy solution that was mentioned... Possibly walmart/can tire/automotive store?

Deetz
03-15-2006, 02:23 AM
If you shop around, a good powder coat job should only cost around $60-70. It will last a long time, and take the heat too.

joseph
03-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Go to Canadian tire in the house paint section and look for a paint remover. It's in a white and green bottle and comes in gel form. Just paint it on wait 10 mins then wash the valve cover paint off. Forget exactly what its called but I'll look and let you know tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Phuqu
03-15-2006, 03:23 AM
How much are you looking to spend?

Automotive base/clear can be used without peeling, bubbling, etc..

I painted my valve cover awhile ago. It has survived over 100000km. That included 2 trips to Las Vegas in summer. Can't get much hotter than that.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/danboucher/wow4.jpg

What colour do you need it?

I might have some base colour mixed up already. If so just cover the cost of the clear and some sandpaper and I'll spray it for you. Maybe about $40.

If I have to mix base colour maybe $50-55 total.

Just make sure it's spotless if you bring it to me. I don't like washing oily parts. :D

Papa Luv it
03-15-2006, 04:11 AM
You can use automotive base coat clear coat for painting valve covers, and it wont peel and bubble after a specific temp.
How interesting...

heavyD
03-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Slick valve cover Phuqu.:thumbsup: How long did it take you to brush paint the flames?

CLiVE
03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by joseph
Go to Canadian tire in the house paint section and look for a paint remover. It's in a white and green bottle and comes in gel form. Just paint it on wait 10 mins then wash the valve cover paint off. Forget exactly what its called but I'll look and let you know tomorrow.:thumbsup:

I've refinished 3 valve covers by hand.

#1 - I sanded by hand. Used coarse sand paper, and slowly got finer and finer. High heat paint. Look great, never flaked.

#2 - The second one I used a mouse sander/dremel. HH paint, never flaked.

#3 - I used paint remover, then polished it.

#4 - (upper intake plenum actually). I had this ceramic coated by top gun in a chrome colour. Looked amazing and only cost $120.

If you're going to do it yourself, go with method #3. IMO it isn't worth the time and effort to do it yourself though. Just pay someone to powder coat it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-15-2006, 10:40 AM
i will... eventually... but right now i'm looking for a cheaper temporary alternative... i'll probable just go and buy a new one
(mugen) eventually, but i'm cheaping out a little right now

heavyD
03-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
i will... eventually... but right now i'm looking for a cheaper temporary alternative... i'll probable just go and buy a new one

Save the money and wait to get it done right. It's only cosmetic anyway as its not like not getting it done affects the way your car is running.

CLiVE
03-15-2006, 01:34 PM

Here's one that I did by hand. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Easiest is to buy another valve cover and swap them afterwards. Then sell the unfinished one...

The only costs were sandpaper and paint. Maybe $30 total? and a bit (maybe a lot) of time. The paint I used was metallic caliper paint from CDN tire.

Any specific questions. Send me a PM.

I've polished 2 sets of wheels by hand also...a pain in the a$$.

CLiVE
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Only did the lettering myself on this plenum. The rest I had ceramic coated for $120.

Any place you do not want the paint to stick (lettering, etc). Coat it with vaseline (i used a chap stick) ahead of time. You can then peal of the paint off the lettering with an exacto knife.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
i just want the valve cover to be completely blue, no lettering...

CLiVE
03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
i just want the valve cover to be completely blue, no lettering...

I think I have some of that metallic blue paint left.
Free if you want it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-15-2006, 01:58 PM
that would be awesome.. if you gimme a few mins i'll run over to the parking lot and take a pic of my engine bay to show you what it looks like right now

CLiVE
03-15-2006, 02:14 PM
that would be awesome.. if you gimme a few mins i'll run over to the parking lot and take a pic of my engine bay to show you what it looks like right now

Sent you a PM.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-15-2006, 02:21 PM
This is what it looks like right now... Got your pm

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
this is the marker i'm talking about

Phuqu
03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Slick valve cover Phuqu.:thumbsup: How long did it take you to brush paint the flames?

It took CrossEyed about an hour and a bit to do the flames. It took a whole week to do the rest of the car.

Weapon_R
03-15-2006, 03:20 PM
If you don't want to spend much money, prepare it by striping and cleaning the valve cover with aircraft paint remover and degreaser, and then use the highest heat paint you can find. I remember helping my friend do this years ago and it held up for a couple of years without chipping or flaking.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-15-2006, 03:41 PM
where do i find the aircraft paint remover/degreaser?

.civictyper.
03-21-2006, 11:19 AM
when you do decide to get a valve cover, tom motorsport has some new mugen ones in any color pretty much for 115$ shipped

heres the link

http://www.tommotorsport.com/2005/shop/index.php?page=produit_recherche&id_cat=41&lang=en&devise=USD

PraviYugosloven
03-21-2006, 11:25 AM
If i was in your position i wouldnt paint it myself because sumtin might go wrong and end up lookin bad unless ur 100% sure about urself, and you know EXACTLY what your doing. Also you gotta have skill, but if i was gonna paint my value cover i would take it to a pro cuz i wouldnt want any mess ups.

heavyD
03-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Phuqu
It took CrossEyed about an hour and a bit to do the flames. It took a whole week to do the rest of the car.

I got a spare SRT-4 valve cover, would he do mine? I have no problems shelling out $$$ for quality work.

FatboyTheHungry
03-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't paint one. Get it powdercoated :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-21-2006, 12:13 PM
if i had the money to get it powdercoated... the thread name would be, where can i get my valve cover powdercovered... and i saw that mugen valve cover a long time ago

handsomebassman
03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
if i had the money to get it powdercoated... the thread name would be, where can i get my valve cover powdercovered...

lol.

Id go for it and paint it yourself. I painted my whole truck with just some online tutorials etc. A valve cover shouldnt be too bad and it shouldnt cost too much at all.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-21-2006, 12:32 PM
well right now... i'm down to about... 3 bucks till payday (over a week from now) so i think i'm gonna take it a little easy... damn st patricks day....

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Well I painted it blue chrome... with the spark wire cover black... Kinda of a cheap job, the paint ran a bit, but not too too shabby... I'll take pics and post it once the rain stops

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Here's the TEMPORARY paint job

EDIT: Pic didn't upload :(

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Pic

g20powa
04-14-2006, 12:34 AM
boooooooooooooooo

JordanEG6
04-14-2006, 12:41 AM
:eek: WTF did you do!? sorry to say this to a fellow EG owner...but...that is terrible

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-14-2006, 12:43 AM
bwahahaha I know... I was ready to cut myself and bleed all over it to get rid of that awful yellow... Don't worry... I'm going to either buy a mugen valve cover, or strip this one completely and get it powdercoated

JordanEG6
04-14-2006, 12:45 AM
bwahahaha I know... I was ready to cut myself and bleed all over it to get rid of that awful yellow... Don't worry... I'm going to either buy a mugen valve cover, or strip this one completely and get it powdercoated

i would definitely get it powercoated. im liking the color though. good luck

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-14-2006, 12:46 AM
Any ideas where/how much? If it's under... 50... i'll do it ASAP And how long would it be?

szdzmtr
04-14-2006, 12:59 AM
if you are still looking for the aircraft stripper it's called TALSTRIP and I got mine at an automotive store that sells paint supplies. it works very good but be careful it will definately burn your skin if not used properly..good luck with the repaint..

Vypros
04-14-2006, 01:03 AM
I could do your cover for you. Paint it all up and maybe even airbrush something on it.

I've had no problems with metal/aluminum/steel covers on my motors flaking and stuff. I j ust bench grind all the crud off with a steel brush wheel and then i high heat primer it. apply 3 coats of primer. then i apply 4-5 coats of base color with wetsanding in between. after that spray clear coat over top, wet sand, buff it up. i gotta redo the one for my s12 over again i missed a few spots and i hate the gold color i painted on it lol

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-14-2006, 01:07 AM
how much? And how long would it be?

Vypros
04-14-2006, 05:42 PM
haha if you can hook me up with a can of beer or two id be happy to do it for free. just supply the materials and i'll take care of the rest.

dj_rice
04-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Your valve cover looks like a 9 year old painted it...WTF?:dunno:

Heres mine painted and clearcoated

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/djrice123/SA400349.jpg

Teggy2nr
04-14-2006, 06:46 PM
I went to calgary honda got a brand spanking new itr valve cover for 150 bucks. And heres a pic of a sweet valve cover paint job imo

Vypros
04-14-2006, 06:58 PM
haha jdm to the max

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Vypros
haha if you can hook me up with a can of beer or two id be happy to do it for free. just supply the materials and i'll take care of the rest.
i can do the beer... but what kind of materials would you need, and where do i get em? thats my problem

Vypros
04-15-2006, 12:23 AM

i can do the beer... but what kind of materials would you need, and where do i get em? thats my problem
High Heat Primer
High Heat Base
High Heat Clear
Beer
Buffing pads
Polishing compound
5-7 days of waiting time (paint to cure and harden properly etc)
Canadian Tire
Auto Value
Parts Source
Napa

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-15-2006, 02:19 AM
see... time... is a big factor... I have 1 valve cover... and 1 car to drive... and i go to school and work... soooooo.... And I don't have money to buy another valve cover

bobyo_2001
04-15-2006, 11:46 PM
DO not paint them silver I did it and it looked like shit on my mustang.:banghead: