PDA

View Full Version : BMW E36 Windshield

GT4rally
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of a quality alternative to replacing the windshield at the dealer? Calgary BMW wants ~$600 installed... kind of expensive, but I don't want to cheap out either and buy a crappy no-name windshield. I also don't trust the install techniques at most of the local windshield shops.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

-Dave

Goblin
03-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Apple AutoGlass I guess.

I just went through the dealer for glass, to get the BMW symbol on the window (side window).

PrezeS_PL
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Well it's ether dealer or no name (PPG) no in the middle solutions,
Plus this is Calgary its not going to last anyways.

Moore's Auto Glass Car Care
640-4142 - should be around $200

GT4rally
03-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by PrezeS_PL
Well it's ether dealer or no name (PPG) no in the middle solutions,
Plus this is Calgary its not going to last anyways.

That's what I was afraid of. The PPG glass, while a lot cheaper, is not nearly as durable as the factory glass. I've still got the original BMW glass in my car, that has taken some big hits without breaking... but it finally succumbed last fall when a rock from a dump-truck cracked it.

I'm not sure if it's more economical to have a strong factory windshield that will last longer, or just save the money and replace it often with cheap ones.

djayz
03-16-2006, 06:32 AM
go with a cheap one
most of the no name windshields are pretty durable
unless your driving on country roads or drive behind dump trucks all the time i dont think you should have a problem of having your windshield broken too often.

my no name windshield on my old car had about 25 rock chips a couple fairly big and one began to crack but thats cuz two of them were pretty close together.

you can probably buy 3 windshields for the price of one bmw one including install.

PrezeS_PL
03-16-2006, 09:22 AM
had one PPG for 4 years before it finally cracked,

had one for week before it cracked on my way to BC

over all they not as good as genuine glass but acceptable.
Also spending $600 doesn't guarantee you that the glass wont crack next month

qmf
03-17-2006, 06:54 PM
hey let me know what price you can get for the windsheild, cause i will be needing one to, so maybe a small group buy can happen so its cheaper.

soupey
03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
i got mine from moores, costed about 200, definately worth checking them out