PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Untold Legends..

ZEDGE
03-14-2006, 09:03 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/695/695890p1.html

Yea.. those MGS4 and Killzone vids were ingame... :rofl:

Sony fanbois am cry..

Maybe the reason for the delay.. they showed everyone these awsome cg videos and they cannot produce them in game..

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/695/695706p1.html

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/695/695890/untold-legends-dark-kingdom-20060314042059357.jpg
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/695/695890/untold-legends-dark-kingdom-20060314042104919.jpg
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/695/695890/untold-legends-dark-kingdom-20060314043106352.jpg
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/695/695890/untold-legends-dark-kingdom-20060314043111431.jpg

likwid
03-14-2006, 09:07 PM
You do understand those models are missing textures right? Must be a very early look at this game.

saiyajin
03-14-2006, 09:14 PM
only MGS4 was run in realtime every other trailer out is pre-rendered

ZEDGE
03-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
only MGS4 was run in realtime every other trailer out is pre-rendered

i will beleive it when I see it. However those who think the ps3 is going to destroy the 360 in graphics are very naive. :dunno:

rage2
03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
The reason for PS3 delay is because of Blu-ray. Manufacturing problems, spec still changing, and chips not ready yet.

ZEDGE
03-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The reason for PS3 delay is because of Blu-ray. Manufacturing problems, spec still changing, and chips not ready yet.

So basically its vaporware. :thumbsup:

habsfan
03-14-2006, 09:59 PM
everybody and their mother knows killzone wasn't ingame, MGS4 was said to be ingame, no proof otherwise. obviously it would be tough, if not impossible for the PS3 to match the demos put out at E3. once again, that isn't new news.

as for the delay being because they can't produce games that live up to the expectations set forth by those demos, i guess it's possible but, in my opinion, highly unlikely borderline not a chance. no one expects the first titles out on a new console to be the ultimate game of all time. i'm presuming you read the link you attatched about the problem with the blu-ray discs causing the delay. that makes a hell of alot more sense to me than sony giving a shit whether their games look perfect or not. i figured since day one that blu-ray would be a problem plagued platform on which to work. like i've said in a post somewhere on here before, sony shot themselves in the foot by trying to pack too much new technology into the PS3.

well that was a long post to basically say everything you posted was already known, except for your opinion about why the delay is happening.

ZEDGE
03-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
everybody and their mother knows killzone wasn't ingame, MGS4 was said to be ingame, no proof otherwise. obviously it would be tough, if not impossible for the PS3 to match the demos put out at E3. once again, that isn't new news.

as for the delay being because they can't produce games that live up to the expectations set forth by those demos, i guess it's possible but, in my opinion, highly unlikely borderline not a chance. no one expects the first titles out on a new console to be the ultimate game of all time. i'm presuming you read the link you attatched about the problem with the blu-ray discs causing the delay. that makes a hell of alot more sense to me than sony giving a shit whether their games look perfect or not. i figured since day one that blu-ray would be a problem plagued platform on which to work. like i've said in a post somewhere on here before, sony shot themselves in the foot by trying to pack too much new technology into the PS3.

well that was a long post to basically say everything you posted was already known, except for your opinion about why the delay is happening.

ino :D

It was a subtle flame.

habsfan
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
^ kinda figured that ;)

awd
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Funny thing is, PS3 will not be released until Nov. 06 -- LOL, and thats the best case scenario.

"Somewhere in Microsoft's offices, Bill Gates just opened a bottle of champagne."

ZEDGE
03-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by awd
Funny thing is, PS3 will not be released until Nov. 06 -- LOL, and thats the best case scenario.

"Somewhere in Microsoft's offices, Bill Gates just opened a bottle of champagne."

And thats Japan, Not North America.

CKY
03-15-2006, 02:32 AM
ANDDD knowing how on time Japanese game related manufacturers are (GT4, Kingdom hearts, PS2) I think our best bet is winter 07 for a North American release

ZEDGE
03-15-2006, 09:37 AM
World wide launch in Nov

Sony Computer Entertainment announced this morning that it would launch the Playstation 3 simultaneously this fall in the US, Europe and Japan:
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it would launch PLAYSTATION3 (PS3) in early November 2006 in Japan, North America and Europe simultaneously. With a monthly production capacity of one million units, SCEI will push forward a powerful product launch to spread the platform rapidly throughout the world, together with a strong and attractive lineup of PS3 game titles.
PS3 incorporates the final specifications of BD (Blu-ray Disc), and with the overwhelming computing power of PS3, it enables to playback BD software at a high bit rate. With a maximum storage capacity of 50 GB (dual layer) and robust security, BD is a highly anticipated storage medium that delivers digital entertainment content such as games and movies at an unparalleled level of image quality.

PS3 is compatible with a vast lineup of television sets currently out in the market, from standard-definition TV to full high-definition TV.

Users can also connect PS3 to high-speed broadband network through Gigabit Ethernet and comfortably enjoy a wide-range of rich and exciting content and services over the network.

SCEI, together with the support and cooperation of game content creators around the world, will strongly promote the creation of a new world of computer entertainment available on PS3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696062p1.html

rage2
03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
So basically its vaporware. :thumbsup:
Uhh no, everything is ready. Devkits are out there. Sony hedged their bets and used the PS3 as a launching tool for Blu-ray which has been very problematic. Blu-Ray just killed the PS3 for a year.

They're still having problems with good yields in manufacturing discs today, so don't be surprised if PS3 is delayed more, or if sony decides to pull the plug on Blu-Ray for PS3. The copy protection specs STILL haven't been finalized, and friday they released more new specs that'll most likely piss off the film studios. Blu-Ray players are now allowed to output 720p/1080i over component. We're not that far away from real time component to MPEG2 or MPEG4 encoding.

About time sony released a PR on the delay. It's been pretty much known for the last 2 months with all the problems Blu-Ray's been having.

ZEDGE
03-15-2006, 10:34 AM

Uhh no, everything is ready. Devkits are out there. Sony hedged their bets and used the PS3 as a launching tool for Blu-ray which has been very problematic. Blu-Ray just killed the PS3 for a year.

You sure about that?

Summary of press release.

PS3:
- GLOBAL RELEASE NOVEMBER 11th
- 60GB HDD 2.5" with pre-installed Linux OS will be included?
- Dev kit specs fix as of today
- Final PS3 development kits will be sent to developers in June
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
- Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy
- Price will not be less than 50.000YEN (~$425USD)
- PS3 will have HDMI support from launch
- Sony plans to produce 1 million PS3s a month; 6 million PS3s for FY2006 (by the end of March 07)
- basic" online service free, no details yet (could be XBLS for PS3)
- Full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles (akin to what the Xbox 360 does to Halo)
- The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology

PSP:
- videophone in autumn
- MinGol GPS
- Eyetoy
- Flash support with next update
- Mem.Stick boot support in autumn
- first-gen PS1 official emulator
- buy/download games from net
- 199 CORE PACK PSP being released in USA/Europe by end of March (March 22nd for Europe)
- 19,800 yen Ceramic White PSP CORE PACK from 15 April in Japan

rage2
03-15-2006, 11:08 AM
You sure about that?

Summary of press release.
uhh ya I'm sure. I have friends that are PS3 developers. Sony's been sending updated devkits, but the core hardware is finalized. Meaning the code the develop today will work on their "final dev kits" as well as the release PS3. What's missing right now are the blu-ray bits, that's not part of the devkit yet.

dericer
03-15-2006, 11:26 AM

i will beleive it when I see it. However those who think the ps3 is going to destroy the 360 in graphics are very naive. :dunno:

I work for IBM (non computer related though), and the internal emails I have seen have sold me on the PS3.

The Cell technology in the PS3 is absolutely amazing.

IBM spend tonnes on R&D just for sony and this chipset.

The 360 uses previously existing IBM technologies.

Technically the PS3 should be 2x better then the 360 for both graphics, and speeds.

But the most important part is gameplay, and game software development,and Microsoft has the edge since they released earlier.

I bet that games won't be able to reach their full potential on either systems for atleast another 3-4 years.

WickedonaStick
03-15-2006, 11:39 AM
they might not ever reach the full potential for this next gen

many game devolopers (critrion is one of them) say that they haven't even unlock all of the ps2 power and this is five years later

ZEDGE
03-15-2006, 08:34 PM

uhh ya I'm sure. I have friends that are PS3 developers. Sony's been sending updated devkits, but the core hardware is finalized. Meaning the code the develop today will work on their "final dev kits" as well as the release PS3. What's missing right now are the blu-ray bits, that's not part of the devkit yet.

Cool.

Pihsiak
03-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Any truth to the anti-piracy feature that is going to be on the disc?
I read that when you load a PS3 game disc into the deck for the first time, a signature gets burned so that only that deck can run the disc.
That means no renting, playing on a friend's deck or if you deck breaks, you're fucked.

heavyD
03-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
I read that when you load a PS3 game disc into the deck for the first time, a signature gets burned so that only that deck can run the disc.
That means no renting, playing on a friend's deck or if you deck breaks, you're fucked.

Anti-piracy is one of the main reasons that PS3 will incorporate Blu-ray. That and the fact Sony needs the PS3 to make blu-ray mainstream in the digital media battle vs HD-DVD. With computer manufacturers passing on the cell and the blu-ray/hd-dvd battle, the PS3 will be key in turning the companie's fortunes around. The PS3 will easily win the next gen battle vs Microsoft (Nintendo has gone a different route with the Revolution and isn't considered a player in this segment) but I'm not sure if it will be enough.

heavyD
03-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by dericer

I work for IBM (non computer related though), and the internal emails I have seen have sold me on the PS3.

The Cell technology in the PS3 is absolutely amazing.

IBM spend tonnes on R&D just for sony and this chipset.

The 360 uses previously existing IBM technologies.

Technically the PS3 should be 2x better then the 360 for both graphics, and speeds.

If you really look at all the PS3 & 360 specs side by side, there isn't much of a gap between the two. Most industry observers expect no more of a difference than there was with the PS2 & Xbox.

dericer
03-16-2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/17823.html

Our Computer development sector seems psyched about the PS3. They seem to be touting the PS3 as the future, while maintaining a "ho hum" attitude at the 360's use of current IBM technology.

Maybe it's a case of the PS3 not being able to take full advantage of their technology, but i get a sense that the PS3 and the technology contained within has a bright future.

heavyD
03-16-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/17823.html

Our Computer development sector seems psyched about the PS3. They seem to be touting the PS3 as the future, while maintaining a "ho hum" attitude at the 360's use of current IBM technology.

Maybe it's a case of the PS3 not being able to take full advantage of their technology, but i get a sense that the PS3 and the technology contained within has a bright future.

That's a 2002 article. Not everyone is in love with the cell. Sony tried hard to sell Apple on using the cell but Steve Jobs was dissapointed with the design & believes the cell will be less effective than the power PC(http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=11825). That was a major blow to IBM & Sony as they really needed a big player such as Apple to adopt it's new technology. I personally believe the cell will play out like Betamax did for Sony but time will tell.

WickedonaStick
03-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3148332
page three on the right hand side.

There is no truth behind it. Sony would be shooting themselves in the foot if that were to ever happen and they know it. they are having enough trouble with the Xbox already released and the revolution brething down their necks to make people angry with this.

dericer
03-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

That's a 2002 article. Not everyone is in love with the cell. Sony tried hard to sell Apple on using the cell but Steve Jobs was dissapointed with the design & believes the cell will be less effective than the power PC(http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=11825). That was a major blow to IBM & Sony as they really needed a big player such as Apple to adopt it's new technology. I personally believe the cell will play out like Betamax did for Sony but time will tell.

IBM & Apple have been feuding for decades.

The story behind the cell and Apple, as it was told to me, is: Intel came in at the last second and introduced a profit sharing strategy to make more money for Apple. Jobs wanted IBM to match, and IBM told Jobs to F himself and Jobs then rejected the cell at the last second. Since Jobs has personal stocks now in Intel, and by him calling Cell technology "Crap" he made himself a pretty penny.

Besides, Betamax was better than VHS.

IBM made a cell based chip w/ more speed than "Deep Blue" and it's the size of a dime.

Wait until The Cell G2 hits the PC market. Literally expected to hit 100 faster than any dual core processor could ever hit.

They're expect to be able to hit 8.9 teraflops in a Home PC by 2015. Which blows my freaking mind.

heavyD
03-16-2006, 05:06 PM
They're expect to be able to hit 8.9 teraflops in a Home PC by 2015. Which blows my freaking mind.

Unless Intel, AMD, & Microsoft implode it's highly unlikely that we will see the cell in home computers. That's the problem for Sony & IBM.

dericer
03-16-2006, 05:27 PM
The cell you see now is just an experiment, a way of generating hype for IBM's design teams IMO.

But IBM has billions, upon billions of dollars more than any other company to R&D new technologies.

IBM just recently developed a theoretical technology of Gel based memory devices. 3 dimensional burning. One cube the size of your fist could literally hold an infinite amount of information.

They claim that technically a standard 700mb CD-RW could hold 1 billion + GBytes if the principles of this new technology is correct.

I was told the lamen version, so I'll relay that one.

Technically when you RW a CD you are writing in between previous lines of information. When you delete the re-write you are writing inbetween to the original and the 1st re-write.

The basic principles of holographic technology states that light has no compression limits. So technically if you write the binary small enough, and compact enough you should be able to write for an infinite amount

Don't ask me to explain that better, since I barely understand it ;)

But I still stand amazed at all the stuff i've read about IBM.

They suck to work for, but damn can they build cool shit.

rage2
03-16-2006, 07:14 PM
The cell you see now is just an experiment, a way of generating hype for IBM's design teams IMO.

But IBM has billions, upon billions of dollars more than any other company to R&D new technologies.
You must be brainwashed from working at IBM for too long. Intel's semiconductor division is 3x bigger than IBM's.

heavyD
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
IBM & Sony are a good match IMO. How many existing companies have such a resume of some of the largest tech gaffes in the last 30 years.

-Betamax - enough said
-Mini Disc - not a bad concept but poorly marketed especially in north america
-SACD - Oh you never hear of it?
-ATRAC3 format which helped Sony lose the dominance it once held in portable music business and being reduced to a bit player.
-IBM giving microsoft full property rights in the 80's for operating systems developed for it's PC and underestimating what it had in the PC.

Please forgive me if I don't have alot of confidence in the cell processor being a big success but history has a strange way of repeating itself.;)