PDA

View Full Version : PS3 release!

WickedonaStick
03-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I was just watching cbc news (i dont know why) and they just said that the PS3 is now been delayed till november due to technical gliches with the blu ray format. I'm not sure this is true because they also said that the Nintendo Revolution was a gameboy so can any one verify this.

I will also be doing my own search for this on the web.

Pee_Sack
03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
www.google.ca is your friend

typed in PS3 release date

first one that came up

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=16121&hed=Sony+Delays+PS3+to+November

/////AMG
03-15-2006, 11:49 AM
It's already been discussed, it was going to happen either way with all the problems Blu-Ray is causing.

WickedonaStick
03-15-2006, 11:49 AM
yeah i just found it on google after i typed that post so here is the news link

http://news.google.ca/news?q=PS3+release+date&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=nn&oi=newsr

rage2
03-15-2006, 01:43 PM
It was speculated months ago with the problems Blu-Ray's been having. None of the PS3 fanboys would believe it though.

Sony made a huge mistake in using PS3 as a launching platform with Blu-Ray. I posted it in another thread already, but blu-ray have been plagued with production issues, spec changes (mainly to fight HD-DVD) and just being so late in finalizing specs while HD-DVD nailed down a good compromise between usability and keeping studios happy. I seriously hope blu-ray gets fixed quickly, cuz if the manufacturing yield doesn't go up soon, there will either be another PS3 delay, or a spec change where they dump blu-ray on PS3 so it doesn't affect the delayed release date.

So, Sony betting with the PS3 to help boost blu-ray would've only worked if Blu-Ray worked. Now blu-ray fucked over PS3. :thumbsdow

Kalehr
03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
There was a press conference last night that officially announced the delay, as well as some details on sony's new online service. Was also announced it will be a worldwide release in november, no word on a price yet though.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696062p1.html

They had coverage of everything announced at conference yesterday.

beecue
03-16-2006, 01:54 AM
i dont know why they need blu ray ... 8 gigs is lots for a game ... most them dont even fill that up and they just put dummy files to fill it .. they should have just used hd dvd ..cuz 15 is lots too

Zephyr
03-16-2006, 03:53 AM
I guess I'll be waiting in line on november

pinoyhero
03-16-2006, 07:04 AM
^ me too, im holding off on the xbox360

rage2
03-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by beecue
i dont know why they need blu ray ... 8 gigs is lots for a game ... most them dont even fill that up and they just put dummy files to fill it .. they should have just used hd dvd ..cuz 15 is lots too
Maybe because they developed the competing blu-ray standard and is trying to use PS3 to launch it into the masses to kill off HD-DVD? :dunno:

Xtrema
03-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Many has expected this, the fact is:

1) 360 didn't gain any ground in Japan. Spring release is for Japan only anyway, the rest of world has always been Nov. Sony has no urge to rush to market now it see no threat on home turf.

2) Programmers are still fighting hard to develop games for the PS3 which is no easy task.

3) 8 months will buy some time and lower the cost of cell processor and video chipset. So Sony won't lose as much money/unit to match MS's pricing. It's not like they have deep pockets like MS.

4) Blu-ray won't be out til May and there are still changes on the way. Sony also partnered with NEC on optical drives and since NEC is a backer of HDDVD, Sony may be back paddling and may support both format on PS3. Pure speculation tho but seems like a good exit strategy if Blu-Ray became the next Beta.

5) Also surprising news:

The PS3 will also be supporting a 60GB hard drive, but the oddity is that this hard drive will be required to play games but may not be included with the console. And the hard drive comes loaded with Linux and can act as a server.

How much is PS3 gonna be sold at? $1000?

ZEDGE
03-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Many has expected this, the fact is:

1) 360 didn't gain any ground in Japan. Spring release is for Japan only anyway, the rest of world has always been Nov. Sony has no urge to rush to market now it see no threat on home turf.

2) Programmers are still fighting hard to develop games for the PS3 which is no easy task.

3) 8 months will buy some time and lower the cost of cell processor and video chipset. So Sony won't lose as much money/unit to match MS's pricing. It's not like they have deep pockets like MS.

4) Blu-ray won't be out til May and there are still changes on the way. Sony also partnered with NEC on optical drives and since NEC is a backer of HDDVD, Sony may be back paddling and may support both format on PS3. Pure speculation tho but seems like a good exit strategy if Blu-Ray became the next Beta.

5) Also surprising news:

How much is PS3 gonna be sold at? $1000?

Did you read the press release? There is no spring release for Japan, its Nov global.

urbannomad
03-16-2006, 12:08 PM
another speculation might be because of the xmas shopping craze. it could be the strategic thing to do.

im waiting till november also.

heavyD
03-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Don't be surprised if it slips to even 2007. I like the global release but unfortunately it will end up just like the Xbox360 with people buying them up to re-sell them at outrageous pricing. I have also heard that the Blu-ray is only part of the problem as there are still some other hardware issues.

I'll be preordering mine early but I'm not going to expect that the PS3 is going to be able to do much more than the 360 performance-wise. Some Sony employees were fired for leaking out some internal emails that some developers were favoring the 360 because it was so much easier to develope for and that PS3 games in developement are looking no better than existing 360 & PC games. Remember how the PS2 was supposed to deliver these incredible visuals with an integral online system & hard drive? I remember. I also remember a bunch of launch games that looked no better than Sega Dreamcast games. I really feel sorry for the legion of Sony fanboys as Sony fucks them over more than any other company. To all the adamant fanboys that actually believed that in spring they would have their new PS3.:rolleyes: The PS2 IMO was defective throughout its entire run as many, many, myself included went through 1 - 3 consoles. I fully expect that my launch PS3 will have to be replaced within a year or two but I'm a tech whore so I can't help but buy it even if it costs $700 CDN.:(

habsfan
03-16-2006, 12:55 PM
unless there are some amazing titles scheduled for launch, i'll be waiting to pick up the ps3, much like i'm waiting to buy a 360. plus i need an hdtv first...fuck this is one hefty shopping list

WickedonaStick
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
The PS2 IMO was defective throughout its entire run as many, many, myself included went through 1 - 3 consoles. I fully expect that my launch PS3 will have to be replaced within a year or two but I'm a tech whore so I can't help but buy it even if it costs $700 CDN.

the Xbox was no better for dieing on its owners. between me and my friends the count was 0 broken ps2 and 2 broken xbox

WickedonaStick
03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
sry about no quote there but im a newbie still learning

heavyD
03-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by WickedonaStick
Xbox was no better for dieing on its owners. between me and my friends the count was 0 broken ps2 and 2 broken xbox

The only bad Xboxes were ones with the crappy Thompson DVD drives. At least Microsoft corrected that. I'm glad you and your friends were amongst the lucky ones with your PS2's.

Xtrema
03-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
Did you read the press release? There is no spring release for Japan, its Nov global.

Let me reword myself, what I meant was that spring release is Japan only and they push it back to Nov (along with the rest of the world) because Xbox is no threat and games ain't ready.

Originally posted by WickedonaStick
the Xbox was no better for dieing on its owners. between me and my friends the count was 0 broken ps2 and 2 broken xbox

Count youselves as being lucky. Almost everytime I walk by customer service at walmart, someone always have a PS2 in hand and I don't even shop there often.

My PS2 alway has read problems where if the disc reads slow or doesn't load at all, tilting it helps.

I don't believe in Sony quality and no games other than FF series really interest me at all.

Sony has lost the walkman business to Apple in about 4 years. And I wouldn't be surprise if they lose the console market to MS in about 4 years time. You hear it here first, there'll be no PS4.

darkbanana
03-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Don't be surprised if it slips to even 2007. I like the global release but unfortunately it will end up just like the Xbox360 with people buying them up to re-sell them at outrageous pricing. I have also heard that the Blu-ray is only part of the problem as there are still some other hardware issues.

I'll be preordering mine early but I'm not going to expect that the PS3 is going to be able to do much more than the 360 performance-wise. Some Sony employees were fired for leaking out some internal emails that some developers were favoring the 360 because it was so much easier to develope for and that PS3 games in developement are looking no better than existing 360 & PC games. Remember how the PS2 was supposed to deliver these incredible visuals with an integral online system & hard drive? I remember. I also remember a bunch of launch games that looked no better than Sega Dreamcast games. I really feel sorry for the legion of Sony fanboys as Sony fucks them over more than any other company. To all the adamant fanboys that actually believed that in spring they would have their new PS3.:rolleyes: The PS2 IMO was defective throughout its entire run as many, many, myself included went through 1 - 3 consoles. I fully expect that my launch PS3 will have to be replaced within a year or two but I'm a tech whore so I can't help but buy it even if it costs $700 CDN.:(

yep, 2 PS2 for me, 1 xbox, my launch 360 is perfect and hopefully my ps3 will love me too...

Xtrema
03-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Here's a bit of rumor that may even scare the fanboys:

A principal element of the PS3 value proposition is its Internet service. According to Sony's Kutaragi, a basic version of what's now being called the PlayStation Network Platform is being distributed free to PS3 users, with premium features (read: "playing games online") available presumably for a fee. This adds an entirely new ingredient to the mix, that was never considered in the context of the PlayStation 2: installation. Internet service is not only a feature of PS3 gaming, but of its AACS copy protection as well. If PS3 adheres to current AACS rules, then it must connect to the Internet separately from any other computer in the household - its connection must be dedicated. All of this makes the PS3 a service which, for most households, will require professional installation...which would be an easier service for them to procure in, say, July or September than in December.

dino_martini
03-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Arg, maybe I should just buy a 360 and wait for ps3.