PDA

View Full Version : Airline ticket websites???

t-im
03-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew any good websites where I could look up fares? Specifically Multi-city fares.

I know of Travelocity and Expedia (Expedia giving me a cheaper price)...

but anywhere else?

Thanks

Orbie
03-15-2006, 02:04 PM
I think there's one called Orbitz...I tend to use Expedia for all my flights.

ronaldo
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
cheaptickets

max_boost
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
I've spent the morning mapping out a multi-city trip and have used expedia and itravel2000.com for flight, car and hotel in 3 different cities.

t-im
03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, i'm planning a YYC--JFK--LAX--YYC month long trip, and found a pretty good deal on Expedia..but wanted to see if I could get it cheaper before booking..

benyl
03-15-2006, 04:40 PM
try a travel agent. Many times, they have access to fares that online retailers can't show you. There are a lot of companies that buy bulk seats for cheap and resell them. To Travelocity etc, those seats look like they are sold (when they really aren't).

t-im
03-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl
try a travel agent. Many times, they have access to fares that online retailers can't show you. There are a lot of companies that buy bulk seats for cheap and resell them. To Travelocity etc, those seats look like they are sold (when they really aren't).

Any travel agents you recomend??

I've called a few places

ie Flight Centre, Thomas Cook and they're charging me more for the exact same flights..

benyl
03-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Have you tried Travel cuts?

My example may not apply to you. When I was buying a ticket to Australia, my travel agent (nippon travel) called a reseller travel agent in Victoria. The price came in $500 cheaper than any webfare I could find.

t-im
03-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I stopped by Travel cuts at school today and they couldn't match it, and said my fare was "pretty good"

my flights are all direct, with the times I want for $748.66 tax in....

but i'm still calling around before I book..

Mazstyle
03-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I used www.cheaptickets.ca a couple months back for a trip, it worked well for me and a great price.

Godfuader
03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by t-im
Yeah, i'm planning a YYC--JFK--LAX--YYC month long trip, and found a pretty good deal on Expedia..but wanted to see if I could get it cheaper before booking..
Thats like my exact trip from last 2 weeks ago. YYC-EWR (New Jersey) - LAX - YYC. Expedia and Orbitz were the better ones. For hotels, use priceline.com.

Calgary Dave
03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Where abouts are you looking to fly? It depends on that. Vegas for example. I first checked travel agents in the city. The cheapest package they could offer me was about $900 per person for a 4night stay at a good (The Strip) hotel. Then I checked out travelocity...expedia..also Escapes.ca. The cheapest I found on there was about $750 per person. (Dunno why any travel agency couldn't find me that package???) Anywhooo....I searched some more and went to America West Airlines and thier sister company US Airways. They're vacation page http://www.usairwaysvacations.com/ offered me a 4 day package at Caesars for $650 per person...ALL taxes in and in Canadian funds. NO OTHER websight or travel agency could even come close tho this price.
I used them last year for a stay at the Luxor..same thing..about $600 pp CAD funds, taxes in. Thier flights were awesome. Depart Calgary 7:00 am and you leave Vegas the 4th day at Midnight....so you get four FULL days of fun and sin!!

t-im
03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

After calling many travel agents (all of whom couldn't match my price...many not even closely), vincent-h here on Beyond hooked me up with a great deal!

:thumbsup:

too bad my vacation is so far off :(

bart
03-22-2006, 09:14 PM
so whats the deal with air canada now, only 23kg per bag??? it used to be 32kg. is that no matter where you fly, or just N/A?

Stephen81
03-22-2006, 11:01 PM
i've used both travelocity and expedia before and was consistently pleased:thumbsup:

:hijack: ...a little off topic, but what is everyone's thoughts on connecting flights? they drive me CRAZY! had my baggage delayed a few times because one of the flights ran late, etc, going through customs again at each extra stop. it's just funny how some flights have as many as 2 connecting flights and they still cost as much if not more than a direct flight. i'm flying direct return to Vegas in two weeks and i'm going to enjoy every minute of it!

Godfuader
03-22-2006, 11:52 PM
^^:werd: My last trip out to New Jersey had me connecting thru Seattle :dunno: with a 7hr stay!! And on the way back from LAX i was routed thru denver and they left my bag in Denver. (they delivered it to my doorstep at 3am)

t-im
03-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I will always pay more to fly direct. It is not worth it to have stopovers unless they are really short.

I had a 3 hour stopovers each way in Dallas/Ft. Worth last May for my vacation to Miami (no choice cause I booked really late)..and that was bad enough.

That is why for I choose to arrive at JFK since it's the only airport that companies fly direct to. Same with my LA part of my trip - all direct, no stopping.

Girlie_racer
03-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Just a word of adv....
I work for an airline, and all those web sites you speak of can be dangerous!
they only update there site once a day so what fare you book at and what they bill your credit card are usally two different totals.
I would just call around to your local travel agent and inquire if they charge a booking fee, some do, some don't.
Advice them of where you wish to travel, and advice you want the lowest fare... thats your best bet

jus_sum_guy
03-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by bart
so whats the deal with air canada now, only 23kg per bag??? it used to be 32kg. is that no matter where you fly, or just N/A?

32 kg for Brazil, China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan

23 for the rest

Stephen81
03-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Girlie_racer
Just a word of adv....

All of them? I was playing around on Travelocity.ca trying to find some flights and when I clicked on one flight listed at $400ish I was taken to a new page stating that the price would actually be $700 because flight prices DO change for various reasons. I was glad they let me know. As for my card being charged a different amount...how is that possible? I don't recall seeing anything on these sites that state that a price change may affect your actual price you are charged on your card. If that was the case, so many people wouldn't use these sites :dunno:

Girlie_racer
03-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Trust me it happens! We get calls all the time about how come there is a seat sale on expedia but not on the actual site... just be cafeful

vincent-h
03-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Girlie_racer
Just a word of adv....
they only update there site once a day so what fare you book at and what they bill your credit card are usally two different totals.
I would just call around to your local travel agent and inquire if they charge a booking fee, some do, some don't.
Advice them of where you wish to travel, and advice you want the lowest fare... thats your best bet

I don't know about the totals but I do try to warn my clients and friends about booking on the net if problems occur and they do occur its had to have just some dude on the phone tryin gto help you out. At a agency you have a Person a face and a trusted name to back you up and help you out of jams while you travel.

Also webpages have this problem with when u bookit takes 24hrs to confirm you booking. So say you book and you pay that computer send the info to a agent somewhere else and they check the flight and issue the tickets and then send u back a message its confirmed or can possibly after 24hrs send one back saying sorry flight not available please try another day or these other options. This is a HUGE problem with booking online so bewarned!