PDA

View Full Version : WRX named as one of top 20 cars of past 20 years

mac_82
03-15-2006, 02:28 PM
April issue of Automobile. As part of their 20th anniversary, they listed the "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".

WRX
Acura NSX
BMW M3
BMW M5
Corvette
Chrysler 300C
Chrylser minivans
Ferrari F40
Ferrari F430
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Jeep Cherokee
Lexus LS400
Mazda Miata
Mini Cooper S
Mercedes-Benz 300E (W124 body)
Porsche Boxster
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Porsche 911
VW GTI

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/BigFatGeek/WRX003.jpg

C4S
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Most are .. reasonable .. but ..

what the heck is this 2 ??

Chrysler 300C
Chrylser minivans

??:dunno:

I can understand the Chrylser Van is a big seller .... so .. fine ..

But the 300C ?? a "new" car that base on a 10 yr old Benz ?? I know they are cheap, and sell well ... um .. :dunno:

Phuqu
03-15-2006, 03:15 PM
300C

Back to the V8 and rear wheel drive.

Orbie
03-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Most are .. reasonable .. but ..

what the heck is this 2 ??

Chrylser minivans

I can understand the Chrylser Van is a big seller .... so .. fine ..

Who do you think first introduced the minivan as we know it today to the masses?

BlkMaxima
03-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Where did you find that? and how did they decide why these cars are so great!:thumbsdow

b_t
03-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by C4S

But the 300C ?? a "new" car that base on a 10 yr old Benz ?? I know they are cheap, and sell well ... um .. :dunno:

based on a 10 year old benz? I never knew you could get a benz with a hemi that was built on a brand new chrysler platform and met modern day side impact standards.

probably on that list because it has the single most outrageous styling to actually reach production for years, has a presence that just cannot be denied, and is available with a 425hp engine for right around $50k.

benyl
03-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by b_t

based on a 10 year old benz? I never knew you could get a benz with a hemi that was built on a brand new chrysler platform and met modern day side impact standards.

probably on that list because it has the single most outrageous styling to actually reach production for years, has a presence that just cannot be denied, and is available with a 425hp engine for right around $50k.

You need to do some research before you spout off.

mac_82
03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima
Where did you find that? and how did they decide why these cars are so great!:thumbsdow

I originally saw it posted on the North American Subaru forum and thought I would share it here. I am assuming they have a write up on each car.

The March issue is online, I assume the April issue will be posted when the May issue comes out. Or you could buy the magazine...

http://www.automobilemag.com/

heavyD
03-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

They all have merit IMO:

WRX - added new car segment & forced Mitsubishi to import the EVO to US.
Acura NSX - all aluminum the first Japanese supercar
BMW M3 - best example of an all out performance luxury vehicle
BMW M5 - world class luxury car
Corvette - an American icon and offers more bang for the buck than any other car to date.
Chrysler 300C - brought back RWD to North American masses.
Chrylser minivans - invented the segment and still top sellers.
Ferrari F40 - the perfect supercar.
Ferrari F430 - another version of above.
Honda Accord - has been and still is one of the best 4-door people haulers ever.
Honda Civic - if it was only about reliable transportation this is all anyone would need and started the import sport compact craze.
Jeep Cherokee - pioneered the SUV
Lexus LS400 - first Japanese luxury car that could rival the Germans.
Mazda Miata - brought back a dead car segment and is the all time best selling convertible sport car.
Mini Cooper S - I'm on the fence with this one.
Mercedes-Benz 300E (W124 body) - Incredible & luxurious
Porsche Boxster - has been called the best roadster in the world.
Nissan 300ZX Turbo - first Japanese car that could give the Corvette a run for its money.
Porsche 911 - a perrenial supercar favorite.
VW GTI - the original sport compact.

Pee_Sack
03-15-2006, 04:29 PM
wow that is a good list

and HeavyD you pretty much summed it all up

b_t
03-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by benyl

You need to do some research before you spout off.

oops, sorry, the SRT-8 is only about $40k US...

The platform it is built on was used in the 1996-2002 E-class... not even the C class :nut:

the company is technically "Daimler-Chrysler" so how people can point out cost-cutting measures that deliver an overall better end product just comes across as ignorance to me, just because they are functioning like one company should... this would be the concept of "efficiency"

styling is subjective, but the guys from Top Gear really seemed to enjoy the way it looked, and never mind the tens of thousands of people who bought one already or that the 240 SRT-8s they made last model year sold out in about a month...

You're right! I should research more!

PrezeS_PL
03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
HeavyD :thumbsup:

A790
03-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by b_t

The platform it is built on was used in the 1996-2002 E-class... not even the C class :nut:

the company is technically "Daimler-Chrysler" so how people can point out cost-cutting measures that deliver an overall better end product just comes across as ignorance to me, just because they are functioning like one company should... this would be the concept of "efficiency"

styling is subjective, but the guys from Top Gear really seemed to enjoy the way it looked, and never mind the tens of thousands of people who bought one already or that the 240 SRT-8s they made last model year sold out in about a month...

Goddamn you're lippy.

JAYMEZ
03-15-2006, 05:01 PM
HeavyD seems to have nailed it :thumbsup:

benyl
03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by b_t

The platform is new to Chrysler, but it was designed in the late 80s by MB. Why didn't they use the new E class platform? haha, don't bother answering.

Originally posted by b_t

Nobody said anything about the C-Class. Get your head out of your ass.

You are obviously ignorant on the "merger" of Daimler Chrylser.

Yes, you should do more research.

b_t
03-15-2006, 10:29 PM

The platform is new to Chrysler, but it was designed in the late 80s by MB. Why didn't they use the new E class platform? haha, don't bother answering.

Nobody said anything about the C-Class. Get your head out of your ass.

You are obviously ignorant on the "merger" of Daimler Chrylser.

Yes, you should do more research.

I didn't know suspension, front seat frames, wiring harnesses, a steering column, one of the available transmissions, and an optional AWD system (which was derived from the benz system) constituted an entire platform.
Tricky to find any mention of any more parts in common. The 300C rides on a 9" longer wheelbase... doesn't sound like a similar platform to me. Where are you getting your shit from, or are you just inventing it?

...and they probably didn't use the new E-class platform because of a multitude of reasons. Too expensive, its too small - still 8" shorter then the LX platform - and so on..

guessboi
03-15-2006, 10:46 PM
HeavyD - Job well done! :clap:

Fuji
03-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by b_t

I didn't know suspension, front seat frames, wiring harnesses, a steering column, one of the available transmissions, and an optional AWD system (which was derived from the benz system) constituted an entire platform.
Tricky to find any mention of any more parts in common. The 300C rides on a 9" longer wheelbase... doesn't sound like a similar platform to me. Where are you getting your shit from, or are you just inventing it?

...and they probably didn't use the new E-class platform because of a multitude of reasons. Too expensive, its too small - still 8" shorter then the LX platform - and so on..

Why are you still posting about this. Let it go. I'm pretty sure no one really cares now.

khtm
03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I'd be mad at the world if I lived in Cochrane too. :D

+1 for HeavyD's analysis.

b_t
03-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Fuji

Why are you still posting about this. Let it go. I'm pretty sure no one really cares now.

if someone calls me on something and they are wrong i just have to let them know.

benyl
03-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by b_t

You sir, are not very smart.

Are you saying to me that a GMC Sierra 2 door, short box, 2wd, v6, stick shift is not built on the same platform as the Chevrolet Crew Cab, long box, automatic, V8 4wd? Why because they don't have the same wheel base?

Wheelbase had nothing to do with platform. Fawk. The PT cruiser and the Neon are built on the same platform. Guess what, the wheel base is different! Holy shit.

You obviously don't understand marketing. Dodge got the old platform because they don't want to piss off the new E-class owners showing them they could get the same car for half the price. It is also the same AWD system, if not improved. Think about it, why would re-invent the wheel when you have a system that works. DC is saying it is derived as a marketing move to keep their MB clients.

Originally posted by b_t

if someone calls me on something and they are wrong i just have to let them know.

I don't know why I am wasting my time with you. You clearly have your head in your ass.

What the fuck do you think a platform is? Everything the same and just different skin?

A Talon, and Eclipse are the SAME car with different skin.

The Camry and the RX300 are built on the same platform. The first honda CRV was built on the Civic platform. It didn't have the same engine, the same wheelbase, the same seat or anything.

The Jeep Commander and the Jeep Grand Cherokee are built on the same platform... but guess what, they aren't the same car.

Do I need to continue to prove you wrong?

BerserkerCatSplat
03-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Neither of you have proved anything, and you both need to stop getting your panties in a knot over something so fucking stupid.

Anyway, my only disagreement with the list would be the F430, I don't think it's proved to be a "game-changing" car yet. It's just another Ferrari, as true as that could possibly be.

Hakkola
03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
April issue of Automobile. As part of their 20th anniversary, they listed the "20 greatest cars that changed the game forever".

Mercedes-Benz 300E (W124 body)

Represent!!!

Haha, sorry thread Hijacked. :D

pitwipe
03-16-2006, 01:07 PM
What's all this? We'll have no trouble here!

mac_82 was clearly only trying to show how the WRX owns everything ever made! hahahahaha... Good job sir!

Now then, carry on fighting...

b_t
03-16-2006, 11:42 PM

You sir, are not very smart.

Are you saying to me that a GMC Sierra 2 door, short box, 2wd, v6, stick shift is not built on the same platform as the Chevrolet Crew Cab, long box, automatic, V8 4wd? Why because they don't have the same wheel base?

Wheelbase had nothing to do with platform. Fawk. The PT cruiser and the Neon are built on the same platform. Guess what, the wheel base is different! Holy shit.

You obviously don't understand marketing. Dodge got the old platform because they don't want to piss off the new E-class owners showing them they could get the same car for half the price. It is also the same AWD system, if not improved. Think about it, why would re-invent the wheel when you have a system that works. DC is saying it is derived as a marketing move to keep their MB clients.

I don't know why I am wasting my time with you. You clearly have your head in your ass.

What the fuck do you think a platform is? Everything the same and just different skin?

A Talon, and Eclipse are the SAME car with different skin.

The Camry and the RX300 are built on the same platform. The first honda CRV was built on the Civic platform. It didn't have the same engine, the same wheelbase, the same seat or anything.

The Jeep Commander and the Jeep Grand Cherokee are built on the same platform... but guess what, they aren't the same car.

Do I need to continue to prove you wrong?

jesus H. christ we have now established a bunch of shit that has no relevance to that fact the LX is an new platform. you've pointed out a waft of cars that are all being built at the same times in the same factories, which still leaves me at a loss to how a new platform, using a 20% of its parts from an old car (3 years out of production to boot), somehow magically makes a 300C built on a "10 year old Mercedes platform." It is now as much a Mercedes platform as a Factory Five Cobra is built on a fox-body mustang platform.

the Talon and Eclipse only had different urethane parts, headlights (only for two years mind you) and taillights.. since when does that have anything to do with this?

as for everything else...

different wheelbase? PT Cruiser and the Neon are not the same platform. http://www.ptcruizer.com/about.html

trucks? trucks are not built in the same way as a car

RX300 and Camry on the same platform? the RX300 and Camry had the same available engines (same engine code and all) and did indeed share the same front suspension, but the transmission came from a station wagon and the rear suspension was from a Celica AWD...

CRV and Civic? same platform, different wheelbase? hmmm the 2001 CRV and Civic have the exact same wheelbase.... 103.2" (google it!)

and once again, the Commander and Cherokee share the same suspension and wheelbase. and platform.

So what is your idea of a platform? what the hell are you trying to talk about? A platform is - the same suspension - the same wheelbase. Look at the K cars. Tons of variatons with these same factors in common.

my initial point was - the 300C is not built on a benz platform - and now everything you have just said reinforces what I have been trying to say.

Alpine Autowerks
03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
that list has too many of some editors personal favorites than true landmark cars.

wheelbase does not determine a platform..benz has 3 (or more) wheelbases in some platforms, track and suspension mount points are truely fixed in a platform.

the m103 engine for the w124 chasis was a HEMI

VW invented the "garage-able" van in the 50's. Renault was next with the Espace ...Chrysler was 3rd and they did it to bypass crash standards/testing the first time they went bankrupt.

CrvenaZvezda
03-17-2006, 01:07 AM
pretty good choices, i wouldnt have put the chryslers on there but good choices!!!