PDA

View Full Version : What billionaires drive... Ikea's founder drives a 13 yr old Volvo 240GL

z06power
03-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Some interesting vehicle choices for billionaires....

billionaire cars (http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/toptens/billionaire/01-billionaires.html)

handsomebassman
03-16-2006, 09:42 AM
"Founder of the Swedish furniture and home goods company IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad is the proud owner of a 13-year-old Volvo 240 GL. Though he may own a Volvo, Kamprad still takes the bus and even uses his pensioners’ discount card, as he explained in a rare 1999 interview. Despite being a double-digit billionaire, Kamprad also still flies economy class and avoids luxury hotels. In fact, in his self-scribed 1976 Bible, “A Furniture Dealer's Testament,” Kamprad decries that “IKEA people do not drive flashy cars or stay at luxury hotels.” Indeed, Ingvar Kamprad practices what he preaches."

lol, a multi billionaire is driving a 1993 Volvo 240 GL

?????
03-16-2006, 09:48 AM
They also fly in private jets and probably private helis.

89coupe
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Nice.

A lot of Ford owners in that list:rofl:

shakalaka
03-16-2006, 09:57 AM
People at that level, don't really care about showing off in cars or anything. They just need something to get them around, why waste any extra money?

Newk
03-16-2006, 09:59 AM
They are cheap, that's why they are rich. And Why I never will be.

89coupe
03-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Newk

Cheap is definitely not the correct word, practical would be the better word to use.

Xtrema
03-16-2006, 10:09 AM

I'm cheap but I'm not rich. :rofl:

lastprodigy
03-16-2006, 10:12 AM

:rolleyes:

Tha VZA
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by handsomebassman

lol, a multi billionaire is driving a 1993 Volvo 240 GL

hey now...i drive 1991 245 wagon in the winter...it's the best winter ride around...lots of room for stuff, handles well, and goes sideways anywhere i please! YAY RWD!

but yes i found it funny that the owner of a swedish company owns a 16 yr old swedish car, but thankfully not a saab. :poosie:

ciao

Vagabond142
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
People do realize that Bill Gates owns well over 100 cars, right? He has everything from Ferraris to a Bugatti EB110 and a Veyron and has pretty much everything a man could want for a garage. Hell, he even has a two storey underground garage for all his cars :eek:

Ah... to be a billionaire :thumbsup:

black_radiation
03-16-2006, 10:39 AM
ahahha yeah, i was like HEY a dodge driver... although its not an 05 ram it was close enough... p.s. 959's for shexy, i watched a show on tv about porsches a few weeks back and it was mentioned, definately a sexy little machine i would say. anyone else heard much on it and what the big thing on it is? because the show just mentioned it nothing in detail so i wonder what the cuffuffle is all about for it?

A_3
03-16-2006, 10:46 AM
mmmmm 959. Last I had heard the car wasn't street legal, love how Bill Gates more or less changed the law to allow his on American roads. Probably one of my favorite Porsches of all time.

http://tuserarien.free.fr/porsche%20959/porsche-959--150.jpg

handsomebassman
03-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
People do realize that Bill Gates owns well over 100 cars, right? He has everything from Ferraris to a Bugatti EB110 and a Veyron and has pretty much everything a man could want for a garage. Hell, he even has a two storey underground garage for all his cars :eek:

Ah... to be a billionaire :thumbsup:

Bill gates should auction off on ebay a day to spend in his garage driving whatever you want.

Kirbs17
03-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Wow, only 2 people on there had decent choices, Lawerence ellison and the saudi prince :nut:

mshaw
03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by handsomebassman

Bill gates should auction off on ebay a day to spend in his garage driving whatever you want.

that would be a sweet way to make money for a charity, i would never do it if he would keep the money

l8braker
03-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Cheap is definitely not the correct word, practical would be the better word to use.

Frugal is the word.

You only live once and if I had that cash i'd buy every exotic car x10 known to man.

HybridTheory
03-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Wow I would have expected to see way more exotic cars than Fords :dunno: But if I was rich, I'd definitely have at least 10 exotic cars to choose from.

jcrules99
03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
haha woo jim walton, drives a 2000 integ

rony_espana
03-16-2006, 11:48 AM
cant believe someone with 23 billion dollars would drive an old Volvo :confused: he must have some other cars.

viffer
03-16-2006, 11:57 AM
wow some boring choices!!

I'd be rockin a Gallardo with that kinda coin

bspot
03-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ?????
They also fly in private jets and probably private helis.

No.

The ikea guy takes the bus to work and flies economy. Read the f*cking article.

iceburns288
03-16-2006, 01:00 PM

No one has ever become a billionare by clipping coupons...

GQBalla
03-16-2006, 01:23 PM
maybe some people just dont care what kind of car they drive?

Drew
03-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

perhaps i dunno, they like art..,chances are they'd have no problem spending what would be considered ridiculous on art....

Altezza
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
A close long-time family friend is a billionaire. He drives a 1996 Honda Accord and doesn't plan on getting anything newer. He owns a modest home in the NW, and still wears some of the clothes that he first came to Canada with. His son, who operates and manages most of the assets, is opposite. He built a large home on the side of a mountain, and likes to spend. To each their own. Some people have different priorities for their money.

ProjectR
03-16-2006, 01:55 PM
man if i was a fricking billionaire i'd make my own car like Homer :rofl:
http://www.geocities.com/simpsonshq2000/Pictures/Artifacts/homer_dreamcar.JPG

Mr_John
03-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Wow I would have expected to see way more exotic cars than Fords :dunno: But if I was rich, I'd definitely have at least 10 exotic cars to choose from.

:werd:
some of these guys are really old too
they're old fashioned, they dont care about their car, or the new wave of ferrari's and lambos, and etc.

when they're thinking about world domination like the way they do, the last thing on their mind is probably a car

89coupe
03-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I believe the extremely successful, extremely wealthy are more focused on investing into new ventures, creating new companies, and building new empires then worrying about what kind of car they drive.

snatch
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by A_3
mmmmm 959. Last I had heard the car wasn't street legal, love how Bill Gates more or less changed the law to allow his on American roads. Probably one of my favorite Porsches of all time.

http://tuserarien.free.fr/porsche%20959/porsche-959--150.jpg

If you read the article it says both cars were impounded and the other guy gave up trying to make his street legal and sent it back to europe. When hes bacl in the states he cruises in his 88 mazda B-series pickup.

Mr_John
03-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by snatch

If you read the article it says both cars were impounded and the other guy gave up trying to make his street legal and sent it back to europe. When hes bacl in the states he cruises in his 88 mazda B-series pickup.

the articles also mention that it was BILL GATES who convinced President Clinton to allow HIS porsche in and that rumours are Gates got his Microsoft team to write a new program for the car.... or something along those lines

Kirbs17
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
My moms boss is a billionare, something with 2 billion worth of assests and cash in the bank currently. He drives a Lexus gx470. He doesnt own another car. His wife doesnt own a vehicle, she cabs around town if she need to be somewhere... Definatly wouldnt be my choice if I had that kind of cash

l8braker
03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John

the articles also mention that it was BILL GATES who convinced President Clinton to allow HIS porsche in and that rumours are Gates got his Microsoft team to write a new program for the car.... or something along those lines

I remember reading an article that said Gates bought another 959 and gave it to the government to crash test and it was cause of him and 959's can be driven in the US.

Rumor perhaps

ryder_23
03-16-2006, 03:52 PM
meh, lets see pictures of their homes. Bet those make up for lack of cars :rofl:

gp36912
03-16-2006, 04:17 PM
the thing is though some people can have all the money in the world and still be like that. my mom for instance, if you gave her 2 billion she'd buy apartments and rent them out. she'd be driving our current 2001 corolla, i on the other hand would be driving a m3 and have a 360 modena garaged and driven on the weekends.

?????
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bspot

No.

The ikea guy takes the bus to work and flies economy. Read the f*cking article.

"THEY" you f*ucking retard. Theres 700+ billionaires who says i'm talking about the Ikea guy?

Anyways this is posted on a car forum which is probably why we're going crazy as tot he cars they drive. They could probably care less.

Weapon_R
03-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I believe the extremely successful, extremely wealthy are more focused on investing into new ventures, creating new companies, and building new empires then worrying about what kind of car they drive.

Very true, but what a sad way to live. Making money is never any fun if you never get to spend it.

?????
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm sure Paul Allen has fun on his 200 million dollar yacht.

Tha VZA
03-16-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by rony_espana
cant believe someone with 23 billion dollars would drive an old Volvo :confused:

it's hard to explain and you won't understand unless you are one but Volvo enthusiasts love Volvo's so much that it doesn't matter how much money they have for "nicer" cars

every car i sit in, drive, look at, i say this isn't as good as an old Volvo, that will never change, it just won't, i do agree a car can be sick a shit and i love it to death...but i would never not have a Volvo

and if you don't believe me that's fine but it's like a cult thing...once you drive/own a Volvo you don't want anything else for a daily driver

a guy here in town, big oil company ceo collects mercedes'...collects them, so like more than 5, i think he has around 10-15, old and new...what is his daily driver....a Volvo...an OLD VOLVO...and he wont sell it

anyway

that's why this guy has one...he is a Volvo nut...

ciao

carter_prelude
03-16-2006, 07:17 PM
my aunt is a millionaire. And my mom used to tell me that her secret was saving zip lock bags so that i wouldn't throw them out and she wouldn't have to buy new ones. Just wash them. lol.

Those people probably realize a old Volvo and a Ferrari Enzo will do the exact same thing, esp. if they aren't into cars like we are...

CrvenaZvezda
03-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Jim Walton - Drives a 2000 Acura Integra!!!

GOOD CHOICE!!!
SMART GUY!!!

Tha VZA
03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
Those people probably realize a old Volvo and a Ferrari Enzo will do the exact same thing, esp. if they aren't into cars like we are...

no doubt...but there are the people who tune there volvo's as well..there's a 16V volvo turbo in ATL making 313 rwhp/318 rwtq...not to mention the "hedberg" guy making 530 out of 4 banger volvo engine :D

enough of my rants defending volvo's for this thread...haha

ciao

googe
03-16-2006, 09:52 PM
until recently, local billionaire and flames owner murray edwards drove an old bronco. or so i heard.

pinoyhero
03-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Interesting story about all those guys. Porsches seem quite popo!

Zephyr
03-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Cars are the worst investment ever, they don't keep value. We get all those flashy cars because its what we like, but in their cases they might not be into cars.

Clanche
03-16-2006, 10:18 PM
I think the guy's license plate "THRIFTY" explains it all... :dunno:

frostyda9
03-16-2006, 10:20 PM
When you're a billionaire, you don't have to show off ;)
Also, a lot of high profile people don't like the attention that goes along with a super exotic car.

t-im
03-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9
When you're a billionaire, you don't have to show off ;)
Also, a lot of high profile people don't like the attention that goes along with a super exotic car.

Precisely..alot of people seem to think "geez, they have so much money, why don't they buy a better car"..but the reality alot of people really don't care..a car serves one purpose - to get you from a to b...

Their are tons of people in Calgary who drive pretty 'average' cars but could be driving something 100x that..

Celica TVS3
03-16-2006, 10:30 PM
If cars arn't your thing and you don't need an expensive car to show everyone else how much money you make a 15 year old volvo is reasonable transportation.

As far as airline class is concerned. I know extreamly wealthy people (maybe close to billionaire) who live in this city and fly coach.

Goblin
03-16-2006, 11:47 PM
not to my tastes, except for the guy with 2 phantoms :thumbsup:

max_boost
03-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by t-im

Precisely..alot of people seem to think "geez, they have so much money, why don't they buy a better car"..but the reality alot of people really don't care..a car serves one purpose - to get you from a to b...

Their are tons of people in Calgary who drive pretty 'average' cars but could be driving something 100x that.. :rofl: :rofl: Yah maybe to you. A car serves a much greater purpose than driving from A to B. I get much more enjoyment out of that than wearing a $300 shirt for example.

Kirbs17
03-19-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by googe
until recently, local billionaire and flames owner murray edwards drove an old bronco. or so i heard.

Not within the last 5-6 years. Thats my moms boss. He drives a lexus suv. And I know, Ive been in it hundreds of times.

blueToy
03-19-2006, 10:59 AM
I remember a story years ago about one of the Billionaire brothers , Mr. Hunt ( can't remember his first name ) , who was seen in a gas line in his 1970's Impala or Crapice . Funny how the guy could by his own oil company , but still had the patience to stit a line waiting to buy gas . Truthfully , that probably has something to do with their clan being so rich . " A penny wasted is a penny saved " comes to mind .
Also , i know it'll be hard for some of you to fathom , but a car doesn't make the man . A man makes the car . Having the flashiest car tells most people that the person driving it " more then likely " is just suffering from some deep insecurity issues . Kinda like when you see a grey-haired 60 year old driving a Corvette , your classic middle-aged crisis syndrome . Don't get me wrong though , there are a few car entusiasts like Jay Leno who has a great passion for cars thats more then just a hobbiest . Does Gates fall into this catagory ? Most likely not .

MIWYFSHOTTER
03-19-2006, 11:06 AM
man they are already stacked and well known; the last thing they need is some mad attention getting super car.

Vagabond142
03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
It's like me with Hondas.... I know that with my chosen career path in 5 years I could easily be driving an S2000 or even an NSX... but I'm never selling my 90 Civic DX sedan :D I just absolutely, unequivocally, supremely LOVE my Honda. Same as people that drive Volvos (and yes, I've driven a turbo Volvo, so I know that they are up there with Saab for 2nd gear grunt :D )

Although, if I had a couple billion lying around, you could be quite safe in knowing I had a Veyron in my garage :bigpimp:

Kamen
03-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
Wow, only 2 people on there had decent choices, Lawerence ellison and the saudi prince :nut:

LOL a RR Phantom is more than a decent choice :thumbsup:

andres_mt
03-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Damnn, if I had that much money I'd be the first person to put a ferrari engine in a Civic Hatch. :rofl:

Kirbs17
03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Kamen

LOL a RR Phantom is more than a decent choice :thumbsup:

lol. Yea i know. Compared the rest of the choices, they look godly.

matt_calgary
03-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Has anyone ever seen the movie 'Be Cool'. There is one part where Travolta is getting into his hybrid car and some guy asked him how fast does that go- sarcastically. Travolta responds "when your important, you don't need to get there fast, people wait for you" or something close to that. While not exactly the same as this thread, rich people don't need items to identify them as rich. A vehicle when you have billions of dollars will neither increase or decrease your status.

I'd still buy every car that goes 0-60 in 5 seconds and under :D

88CRXGUY
03-19-2006, 02:29 PM
WTF is with the volvo, lol..cheapass...

waypastfast
03-19-2006, 02:43 PM
The real deal isn't what they are driving when you have that much money.....its what you are FLYing in that matters the most.....cars are tooo cheap to these people, they play on a whole different level!!

asp integra
03-19-2006, 04:49 PM
that is really disapointing, i was hoping to see some sick cars owned by all of those guys, i have alot less repsect for those guys now!

googe
03-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17

Not within the last 5-6 years. Thats my moms boss. He drives a lexus suv. And I know, Ive been in it hundreds of times.

ah, i heard he ditched the bronco for the lexus like 3-4 years ago. btw hes worth 1 billion, not 2 ;)

Tha VZA
03-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
WTF is with the volvo, lol..cheapass...

ahem...crx?

yeah...volvo's arn't "cheap"...at least not in quality

:rolleyes:

ciao