PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for a parked car in garage?

eblend
03-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Okay, so i got my registration notice telling me to renew my registration. I don't have insurace on my car right now since its sitting in the garage. I was wondering, can i still renew my registration without having insurance, or do I have to get some sort of coverage and then get my registration renewed? My main concern right now is not loosing my custom plates :D

Thanks

TurboMedic
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
just get fire/theft if its parked...thats usually all you need....you can't register without insurance

Lo)2enz0
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
thats exactly what i have on my 240sx

Accord_tunerx
03-16-2006, 11:15 PM
do you still have your pink insurance slip? make sure its not expired and you could still renew your plates.:)

eblend
03-16-2006, 11:33 PM
okay cool, so i do have an insurance slip which is not expired (old one before i canceled the insurance), however it is under my dads first name. Can i still use that or does registration name have to match insurance name?

Accord_tunerx
03-16-2006, 11:55 PM
so your saying that your dad bought you your insurance before?then your dads name should be on the registration renewal as well right? if so then they can still renew it.because normally you cant registered a car under your name,and the car insured under your dad, aslong the name on your registration slip and the insurance slip is the same then you don't have a problem renewing it.

eblend
03-17-2006, 12:02 AM
yah thats the problem, when i got my custom plates they put it under my name and car was registered under my name, but insurance was under my dads, maybe they just missed it. What i will do is just get the parking insurance thing, heard its only like 20 bucks a month, and then renew my registration that way

Accord_tunerx
03-17-2006, 12:03 AM
actually, if you are planning to use your custom plate later down the road on a new car or on the car that is being parked right now, (even if it has expired already) you can still renew the same plate later down the road, just bring in the plate and your license and they can still do it 4u, as long you did not bring the plate in and tell them to cancel and discard the plate.i've done that many times on my winter beater, u know? beater after beater:thumbsup:

eblend
03-17-2006, 12:07 AM
hum thats interesting, i will have to ask the registry on that one, thanks for the heads up!

Accord_tunerx
03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
yeah! cause i rembered that i had an old plate that has expired for a year and a half and i just took it in when u bought another beater and renew that same plate. all i needed was my proof of insurance,bill of sale and my drivers license.hope that helped:thumbsup: