PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

Pages : [1] 2

Toma
03-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Easily a new addition to my all time favourites....

but that's cause its my type of movie.

And yes, it probably belongs in this section ;)

ZEDGE
03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Can you give a brief description of the movie? I have no idea what its about, looks interesting though.

Vagabond142
03-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Remember.... remember... the 5th of November.... :drama: (known to us Commonwealthers as Guy Fawkes Day)

The movie is about a bad-guy/good-guy character fighting "the man," in an attempt to open the eyes of a repressed society. I don't wanna say more than that lest I spoil the great parts of the movie (sneak preview for the win!). It is a SUPERB movie tho. ANd yes, it belongs in this section.

Toma
03-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Remember.... remember... the 5th of November.... :drama: (known to us Commonwealthers as Guy Fawkes Day)

The movie is about a bad-guy/good-guy character fighting "the man," in an attempt to open the eyes of a repressed society. I don't wanna say more than that lest I spoil the great parts of the movie (sneak preview for the win!). It is a SUPERB movie tho. ANd yes, it belongs in this section.

:thumbsup:

civic_stylez
03-17-2006, 06:42 PM
i havent stopped telling people about this movie, it is also one of my top favorite movies.. i was actually cheering for buddy in the theatre, i loved that movie, i was sitting right beside that louis hobson (sun movie critic) in the theatre and i told him to give the movie killer ratings... he said he was really impressed by it..:thumbsup:

PraviYugosloven
03-18-2006, 10:23 AM
i think this is gonna be a good movie a lot of my friends say that its pretty kool , i still havent seen it tho i should

Mo Squared
03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
GREAT MOVIE! however i do think that it promotes terrorism. Definetly one of my all time favorites.

Highly suggested, ESPECIALLY IN IMAX!!

BigWill
03-18-2006, 12:51 PM
i heard, it was really dumb from a friend, but i really want to watch it, i think it looks REALLY good, so i got the beyond seal of approval for this movie???, you WOULD recomend watching it?

hockeybronx
03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I saw it last night. Absolutely LOVED IT. It's the kind of movie where you sit there watching it and also thinking of things in your mind at the same time.

It's definitely a big "pro-conspiracy theorist" movie about things the government may hide from people, and I'm not that big into that but I still loved the movie.

Will see it again in cheap theatres, and more than likely will buy it when it comes out.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cityhunter2501
03-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Mo Squared
GREAT MOVIE! however i do think that it promotes terrorism. Definetly one of my all time favorites.

Highly suggested, ESPECIALLY IN IMAX!!

I don't think it promotes terrorism, atleast compared to the current one the world is experiencing in the middle east

great movie indeed, definetly a must on my dvd collection.

my favourite quote from the movie is 'people shouldn't be afraid of their government; the government should be afraid of its people'

Selphnir
03-19-2006, 02:18 AM
I though tthis was a GREAT movie. Well presented.

Zephyr
03-19-2006, 02:41 AM
just finished watching it, great movie. if you dont like thinking then dont watch it, but overall great movie.

VT777
03-19-2006, 02:55 AM
awesome movie :thumbsup:

Kamen
03-19-2006, 03:24 AM
Saw it this weekend, great movie :thumbsup:

The guy must be richer than Bruce Wayne :rofl:

ProjectR
03-19-2006, 03:31 AM
just watched it today, great movie about government control and propraganda :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
03-19-2006, 09:35 AM
ARGH!!!!!!!!

Was at Chinook about 30 mins through when the bloodt fire alarm went off! Gonna try for the matinee today

Stratus_Power
03-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Great Movie!! Different than what I expected in a good way! great action, great plot, great plot. just great

rc2002
03-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
ARGH!!!!!!!!

Was at Chinook about 30 mins through when the bloodt fire alarm went off! Gonna try for the matinee today

Same thing happened to me. I paid extra for the IMAX showing and waited in line for an hour too. :thumbsdow Was there even a fire yesterday?

method
03-19-2006, 12:19 PM
I warn anyone that actually has taste in movies... this one is full of hackneyed scenes that serve nothing other than to make it look like it was directed by a 15 year old.... it's also littered with plot holes - no wonder moore wanted to distance himself from the movie.

save your money.

eb0i
03-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Can't go wrong with the Wachowski Brothers :thumbsup:

HyperZell
03-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I just saw this movie last night, and promptly spent an hour raving about it with my friend afterwards. The acting is spot-on, the setting is unbelievable, and the movie manages to feed and satisfy both your 'action' and 'meaning' needs. Definitely not for those that are uneducated (the early verbal barrage is gonna give that type of person a headache), but more for those who like some depth and substance along with their ass-kickery. THe first thing I said when the show was over was "Auto-own. The first day it comes out on DVD."

No questions, no second-guessing - watch this movie.

soupey
03-19-2006, 03:12 PM
dont see a late showing for this movie, or if u do, grab an energy drink to make sure ur awake for it, it can easily get boring or too wordy and make u sleepy like it did to me, haha, it wasnt a bad movie, altho i was expecting a slight bit more action since they sorta advertised it like that in the trailer...that and it was kinda odd how in the two major fight scenes, the level of gore and matrix'ness magically jumped up in the second scene...but whatever....overall was a pretty good movie.

Horaysh
03-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Same thing happened to me. I paid extra for the IMAX showing and waited in line for an hour too. :thumbsdow Was there even a fire yesterday?

I was there for the 10 45 showing and the alarm went off just before our show started. They ended up playing it at around 11:05 or so. I was happy i stayed cause when leaving the theater they gave everyone one of those free emergency procedure vouchers taht get u into a free movie. Now i get to go back and see Inside Man for free next weekend!

iceburns288
03-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I've been lookin forward to this movie so long! It looks so awesome! Today I heard Hugo Weaving was playing V and I got more excited... that guy's the man. Seeing it Friday:thumbsup:

hockeybronx
03-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
I've been lookin forward to this movie so long! It looks so awesome! Today I heard Hugo Weaving was playing V and I got more excited... that guy's the man. Seeing it Friday:thumbsup:

Is that who he is? I was kind of wondering who played him.

Akagi Redsuns
03-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
Can't go wrong with the Wachowski Brothers :thumbsup:

Matrix:Reloaded and Matrix:Revolutions sucked.....so you can go wrong with them :)

However, I loved the original Matrix. I'll have to go and see if I like this one.

eb0i
03-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Matrix:Reloaded and Matrix:Revolutions sucked.....so you can go wrong with them :)

However, I loved the original Matrix. I'll have to go and see if I like this one.

I actually didn't mind Reloaded and Revolutions and thought they were done well.

I just went to see V for Vendetta today and I must say it rocked the kasbah.

Natalie Portman does a great job in the movie and so does Hugo Weaving. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dj_honda
03-19-2006, 11:27 PM
I saw it today, good movie.

Originally posted by cityhunter2501

my favourite quote from the movie is 'people shouldn't be afraid of their government; the government should be afraid of its people'

I think that quote is originally from somewhere else. I just can't remember off the top of my head.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

saiyajin
03-19-2006, 11:30 PM
the best part was how he introduced himself to Evey
that whole line(or paragraph!!) intro was the shit :thumbsup:

Kamen
03-20-2006, 12:03 AM
:rofl: yea he used like every V word there was....bullocks!

The sickest part of the movie was when they made that egg on bread fried in oil/butter, :barf: Eggy in the basket or something?

The coolest line was something along the lines of:
"When are you going to kill me?"
" I already did, 10 minutes ago."

HyperZell
03-20-2006, 12:34 AM
"Are you going to kill me now?"

"I killed you ten minutes ago."

Only one of the many memorable quotes from the movie...how about this one?

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. There is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."

Awesome script!

hockeybronx
03-20-2006, 12:58 AM
My favorite line was when she says to him "And they created a monster" or whatever that was.

Anybody remember the exact line?

hockeybronx
03-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
My favorite line was when she says to him "And they created a monster" or whatever that was.

Anybody remember the exact line?

Oh I'll answer my own question:

V: "What was done to me was monstrous!"

Evey: "And they created a monster!"

Then somebody in the back of the theatre screamed "touche!"... I thought it was pretty funny.:D

Zephyr
03-20-2006, 03:33 AM
The last saying he said before he killed the guy at the end

"Ideas are bulletproof" that was pretty cool

Gondi Stylez
03-20-2006, 04:09 AM
Natalie Portman = :hitit: :hitit: :hitit: therefore I will go see it :angel:

but damn the previews looked awsome... maybe ill see it this weekend :thumbsup:

finboy
03-20-2006, 09:23 AM
*spoiler*

Originally posted by method
I warn anyone that actually has taste in movies... this one is full of hackneyed scenes that serve nothing other than to make it look like it was directed by a 15 year old.... it's also littered with plot holes - no wonder moore wanted to distance himself from the movie.

save your money.

:werd:

there were more plot holes then a brick of swiss cheese.

who the hell was shaving ev's head if it was v that kidnapped her???? the person interogating her had normal hands, V had badly scarred ones, v mentions living underground then they just walk out on a balcony that overlooks the city, wtf????? things like this happen through the whole damn movie

its *MAYBE* worth a download, even then, i dunno. view at your own risk, the least i can say is go in with NO EXPECTATIONS and you might be happy

HyperZell
03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Sweet, let's boycott any movie ever made with mistakes of any kind! Better yet, let's tear into everybody who slips up in any medium, like books and art! Fuck yeah!

:rolleyes:

If all you can do is focus on minor mistakes that do not impact the plot (I'm pretty sure he had a castle, and all of the censored items are kept underground) then you are not wanting to be entertained. I didn't even notice any mistakes because I was so enthralled by the superb acting, spectacular settings and wonderful action, but I guess that's not enough to overcome something they didn't explain or you didn't get.

b_t
03-20-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm with HyperZell, there were screw ups sure but the rest of the movie was just too good to be spoiled by a few common mistakes. Plus hugo weaving is a badass. And I liked how bent he was on his goal, there was never any real qualms.. he said he doubted himself for a moment but that didn't stop him.

ninjak84
03-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I thought the movie was a lame excuse to capitalize on the state of government insecurity today.
Throw in some witty conversation and a hottie, and call it a movie....

ProjectR
03-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
I thought the movie was a lame excuse to capitalize on the state of government insecurity today.

haha nicely put :rofl:

HyperZell
03-20-2006, 11:54 AM

That's interesting, I've read a bunch of reviews on this movie and the people who didn't like it commonly attack the message and theme of the film, saying that it promotes terrorism and is an attack on governments or whatever...

But I disagree. Universal themes never have one correct time to be discussed; they can and should be brought up at any time because their impact and importance transcend minor sensitivities or current events. What do you propose they do, ninjak84? Wait until all of the governments in the world were stable before they released this? They would be waiting forever, and for no good reason.

Like i mentioned previously, there has been a lot of criticism concerning why the subject matter is in poor taste. Care to give it a go?

DeeK
03-20-2006, 12:27 PM
The way I see it, people who didnt like this movie, didnt understand it. A couple people I know didnt like it, but then again they arent smart people and have limited vocabulary.

I absolutely loved the movie, and yes there were a few technical mistakes and such, but theres not too many movies out there that dont have them. The acting was absolutely amazing, as far as playing their character roles goes. I especially loved the idea behind the movie.

This is a must buy DVD for me.

403Gemini
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM

:rolleyes:

aside from the fact that the book (you know, what the movie is actuallyed based on) was written approx. 20 years ago... i can certainly see the correlation...

finboy
03-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
The way I see it, people who didnt like this movie, didnt understand it. A couple people I know didnt like it, but then again they arent smart people and have limited vocabulary.

I absolutely loved the movie, and yes there were a few technical mistakes and such, but theres not too many movies out there that dont have them. The acting was absolutely amazing, as far as playing their character roles goes. I especially loved the idea behind the movie.

This is a must buy DVD for me.
i fully understand the movie, the issue i have with it is that is the same theme has been done time and time again, and this is just a shitty reproduction of it. the plot holes i mentioned were minor, but it just goes to further my point that it was a poorly done movie. we could address the fact that the movie is 100% predictable after v releases ev. it seems like they just gave up on putting in effort about half way through

hockeybronx
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by finboy
*spoiler*

who the hell was shaving ev's head if it was v that kidnapped her???? the person interogating her had normal hands, V had badly scarred ones, v mentions living underground then they just walk out on a balcony that overlooks the city, wtf????? things like this happen through the whole damn movie

its *MAYBE* worth a download, even then, i dunno. view at your own risk, the least i can say is go in with NO EXPECTATIONS and you might be happy

To answer your questions:

Rememeber the mask he wore when he met with the detective guy in the memorial, that's the mask he wore when he shaved her head. I saw a shadow in the background of a huge mustauche like the mask had.

The person interrogating her didn't have normal hands, he wore gloves all the time. I remember seeing the gloves and thinking that it might be V.

Before they go to the balcony he said "there's a lift that goes to the roof".

I'm not saying parts of it weren't unrealistic, but from the sound of it you missed a lot of the minor details. If you don't have a keen eye for this kind of stuff then you miss a ton of the story.

finboy
03-20-2006, 02:11 PM

Rememeber the mask he wore when he met with the detective guy in the memorial, that's the mask he wore when he shaved her head. I saw a shadow in the background of a huge mustauche like the mask had.

The person interrogating her didn't have normal hands, he wore gloves all the time. I remember seeing the gloves and thinking that it might be V.

Before they go to the balcony he said "there's a lift that goes to the roof".

I'm not saying parts of it weren't unrealistic, but from the sound of it you missed a lot of the minor details. If you don't have a keen eye for this kind of stuff then you miss a ton of the story.

that answers a few of the questions, but still doesn't sway how i saw the movie, far to patched togeather and still basically copies many movies before it with much less success.

sputnik
03-20-2006, 02:45 PM

O RLY?

http://www.thecheappop.com/v2.jpg

DeeK
03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
V did have a bunch of faces and hands for different people in the movie.. Like when he disguised himself to meet with the cops with another face/hand combo.

It makes referrence to it at one point, but I cant remember the exact quote.

HyperZell
03-20-2006, 03:34 PM
V did have a bunch of faces and hands for different people in the movie.. Like when he disguised himself to meet with the cops with another face/hand combo.

It makes referrence to it at one point, but I cant remember the exact quote.

***SPOILER***

Where he was William Rookwood, right? That was one part I remembered...but I'm suffering from the post-movie syndrome where you can't really remember things clearly around the middle of the movie. All I know is that this is a multi-watch for sure, as there are layers I'm sure I haven't even begun to think about that are there.

DeeK
03-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

***SPOILER***

Where he was William Rookwood, right? That was one part I remembered...but I'm suffering from the post-movie syndrome where you can't really remember things clearly around the middle of the movie. All I know is that this is a multi-watch for sure, as there are layers I'm sure I haven't even begun to think about that are there.

yes where he played william rockwood, he had other faces there as well. and yes I agree it is a multi-watch movie.

hockeybronx
03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

O RLY?

http://www.thecheappop.com/v2.jpg

I guess I stand corrected.:(

ninjak84
03-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Like i mentioned previously, there has been a lot of criticism concerning why the subject matter is in poor taste. Care to give it a go?

I never said the subject matter was in poor taste. I said it was lame. The same way that 'Team America : World Police' was lame, but not in poor taste.
It could have (and should have) been done alot better to deliver the message.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
aside from the fact that the book (you know, what the movie is actuallyed based on) was written approx. 20 years ago... i can certainly see the correlation...

LOL Way to, you just proved my point. The book was written 20 years ago, and it was made into a movie just now. :rolleyes:

I didn't like it. Deal with it. :thumbsup:

HyperZell
03-20-2006, 07:55 PM

I never said the subject matter was in poor taste. I said it was lame. The same way that 'Team America : World Police' was lame, but not in poor taste.
It could have (and should have) been done alot better to deliver the message.

I apologize, I made a mistake in my statement. It should've been that there has been a lot of criticism stating that the subject matter was in poor taste, but not a lot about why.

It still holds true for your view, by the way. Why was it lame? If you purely dislike revolutionary material, then it becomes a matter of personal taste and I can understand that.

Weapon_R
03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Simply one of the all time best movies i've ever watched. Excellent message and a movie that truly captivates your attention. Im surprised that some didn't like it because I was glued to the screen for the entire two hours.

hockeybronx
03-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Simply one of the all time best movies i've ever watched. Excellent message and a movie that truly captivates your attention. Im surprised that some didn't like it because I was glued to the screen for the entire two hours.

Yeah no kidding, I can't remember a single time where my thoughts wandered or I was thinking of anything other than the movie. Like someone else above said definitely a must to see again and catch all the things you missed the first time.

Justing
03-20-2006, 10:42 PM

Even though there was a lot of talking, i was glued to the screen the entire time, and it didn't seem like a long movie.
It was an extremely entertaining movie and i'll be seeing it again.
I figure if you dont like it you probably dont understand it.

finboy
03-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Justing

I figure if you dont like it you probably dont understand it.

i don't see why everyone thinks this, i went with quite a few people, we all "got it" but found it a drawn out carbon copy of previous efforts, different people, different opinions, no point in down talking everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion.

Weapon_R
03-20-2006, 11:40 PM

i don't see why everyone thinks this, i went with quite a few people, we all "got it" but found it a drawn out carbon copy of previous efforts, different people, different opinions, no point in down talking everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion.

A lot of people did not understand the movie. I heard the people next to us talking throughout because one of them could not get what was going on. At times, I must admit that I was also lost.

The dialogue was awesome though. There was a lot of speech and it wasn't blanketed by explosions and other stuff to keep audiences hooked. Understandably, there were some very minor flaws, but none that really took away from the plot. What movie is V a carbon copy of?

b_t
03-20-2006, 11:45 PM
I think the problem with the movie was it was very demanding, some people didn't get it, or missed the whole thread drawing it all together, and then just fell back on what they had seen beforehand to make a bunch of generalizations about it. It was an amazing movie, but you needed to pay a lot of attention.

finboy
03-21-2006, 07:40 AM

A lot of people did not understand the movie. I heard the people next to us talking throughout because one of them could not get what was going on. At times, I must admit that I was also lost.

The dialogue was awesome though. There was a lot of speech and it wasn't blanketed by explosions and other stuff to keep audiences hooked. Understandably, there were some very minor flaws, but none that really took away from the plot. What movie is V a carbon copy of?

well, this review basically sums it up, i was thinking clockwork orange and 1984, but this list off a few more that i wasn't thinking of....

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/060320crci_cinema

DeeK
03-21-2006, 08:57 AM

well, this review basically sums it up, i was thinking clockwork orange and 1984, but this list off a few more that i wasn't thinking of....

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/060320crci_cinema

That was quite possibly the most biased, one-sided, opinionated review I have ever read.

b_t
03-21-2006, 09:05 AM

That was quite possibly the most biased, one-sided, opinionated review I have ever read.

I would agree, he seems to have something big against comics.

HyperZell
03-21-2006, 09:39 AM
K I lost my appetite for breakfast reading that review. It's pompous critics like that who waste their time and ours by spouting egotistical and petty garbage that they call a 'review'. Look at this quote:

"It’s true that one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter, but, by sticking to the blowing-up-Parliament template, the Wachowskis have stumbled into celebrating an attack against an icon of liberal democracy."

Did we forget that MOVIES TELL A FUCKING STORY? Since when did people start taking movies so literally? Oshits, Lord of The Rings was about attacking Iraq and the Orcs were the Iraqis so it was a racist movie! Wtf?

It annoys me to no end when people come down on a movie for being similiar to another one from a long time ago. I'm sorry if universal themes can only be covered by one movie - now I know that retelling is bad. Give me a break. This point of view detracts any merit a movie might have on the weak pretense that another movie covered similiar ground. These are the types of people that don't watch movies for enjoyment, but rather to fulfill their artificially and falsely inflated sense of intelligence. Insufferable.

sputnik
03-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Did we forget that MOVIES TELL A FUCKING STORY? Since when did people start taking movies so literally? Oshits, Lord of The Rings was about attacking Iraq and the Orcs were the Iraqis so it was a racist movie! Wtf?

I would hate to make a movie these days. Everyone and their dog would try to parallel it with the Bush administration.

Here's a great example of how retarded people are these days. My wife had 3 images of Crave cupcakes in the 3rd year photography show last year. One had a bit of red in it, one a bit of white and one had (you guessed it) blue. Some dreadlocked, flea bitten, dirty hippies approached her asking her if her series was a commentary about the US and the war in Iraq.

My wife, in her way looks them straight in the eye, laughs and says, "Nope, just cupcakes".

Here are the images if you are curious. Where do people get this stuff?

http://www.staceynickel.com/food/food_image_1_06.jpg
http://www.staceynickel.com/food/food_image_2_06.jpg
http://www.staceynickel.com/food/food_image_3_06.jpg

method
03-21-2006, 02:05 PM

that's generally what critics do.

and he made an assload of points about the ripoff nature of the film.

Only the West could have made a movie in which blowing up civic temples is a “provocative” media statement.

:rofl: :clap:

Audio_Rookie
03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I thought it was a good movie...lots of detail and you had to pay attention and use some intelligence to know what was going on the whole time.

HybridTheory
03-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Saw it last night and I thought it was pretty good. There were times that I thought it was a bit slow but overall it's worth seeing. Btw those crave cupcakes look damn good.

HyperZell
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Saw it last night and I thought it was pretty good. There were times that I thought it was a bit slow but overall it's worth seeing. Btw those crave cupcakes look damn good.

Careful! Those upcakes are a well-veiled commentary on the US and Iraq!

Moe Man
03-22-2006, 03:04 AM
i just saw the movie, very good i might add. Best part was " i will have you all killed before you reload your weapons" or something like that :guns:

Moe Man
03-22-2006, 03:07 AM
it is also funny how everything he owned was stolen from the government.

sputnik
03-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Here is a pretty decent (yet negative) review. I tend to agree with this one. It was a visually stunning movie... however kinda thin in the content department.

D for Vendetta

http://wired.com/news/culture/0,70424-0.html?tw=wn_index_25

Near the beginning of V for Vendetta, a masked avenger named V slashes his initial into a poster. The scene feels familiar: The sword work comes courtesy of Zorro and the logo looks like the anarchist symbol turned on its head.

From the start, Larry and Andy Wachowski, the Matrix brothers, pack Vendetta with literary, religious, political and pop culture references: the Sex Pistols and The Girl From Ipanema, The Count of Monte Cristo and Beethoven, Twelfth Night and Benny Hill.

Though Vendetta is a potential bonanza for a graduate student in search of a thesis topic, it may leave the rest of us scratching our heads.

That's not because Vendetta tries to pull together too many ideas and icons. It's because it doesn't pull together anything.

The Wachowskis, who wrote and produced the film, and adman Jim McTeigue, who directs, throw all kinds of icons and chewy concepts into their pot. But they seem to have forgotten to consult a recipe. So Vendetta fails both as a political text and as a Hollywood blockbuster.

The Wachowskis adapted the screenplay from Alan Moore's acid, richly layered comic, written in the early 1980s. Controversial long before 9/11, the original Vendetta follows an embittered anarchist-terrorist as he tries to spark a revolution by, in part, dynamiting government buildings.

The film follows a similar story line. Wearing a creepy mask in honor of Guy Fawkes (a Catholic rebel who, in 1605, planned to blow up Parliament and assassinate King James I), V first explodes the Old Bailey courthouse. Then he infiltrates the headquarters of BTN, a Fox News-like TV network. Hacking his own DVD into the system, V urges viewers to overthrow, by any means necessary, the fascist government.

The Wachowskis move the action from the late 1990s to 2020 but provide plenty of contemporary links. News programs discuss avian flu, the rendition of terrorists and an Iraq war gone wrong. Vendetta also features a Bill O'Reilly-style pundit and venal pharmaceutical companies in its story line.

These references end up feeling like red herrings: Vendetta is too vague to pack much political punch. Hollywood, with its congenital fear of alienating anyone, manages to dilute the comic book's radical, complex vision.

What's left is a fuzzy, pandering film. What are its lessons? Totalitarianism is bad. People power is good. Unless you aren't quite sure where to stand on the whole Hitler-Nazi-Holocaust thing, Vendetta is unlikely to evolve your worldview.

The film's biggest problem, however, isn't its watered-down politics. Vendetta falls surprisingly flat as entertainment. There's some dazzling action and the exciting design we expect from the Wachowskis.

But as it bounces between genres -- a bit of melodrama, a dash of political intrigue, some half-hearted footage of a fascist dystopia -- the film doesn't seem to know how to look or feel. V (Hugo Weaving) and Evey (Natalie Portman) are lit in glowing, romantic hues, even as the film insists that we are on the edge of apocalypse.

Warner Bros. has been advertising Vendetta as "an uncompromising vision of the future." But other than skinny phones and a drive-by eavesdropping truck, London 2020 feels just like London 2006. Technological advance apparently comes to a near standstill in the decade to come.

The plot doesn't make much sense, either. V blows up a building, liquidates a bunch of high-powered enemies and threatens to overthrow the powers that be. The government's response? To send two cops to track him down. Two cops! Some police state.

It's no wonder Moore insisted that Warner Bros. remove his name from the credits.

Pee_Sack
03-22-2006, 09:18 AM
went and seen it last night with the girl friend. We both loved it, definatly one of the better movies I have seen in a while.

kertejud
03-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Here's what Alan Moore thought of the movie.

"It's been turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country. In my original story there had been a limited nuclear war, which had isolated Britain, caused a lot of chaos and a collapse of government, and a fascist totalitarian dictatorship had sprung up. Now, in the film, you've got a sinister group of right-wing figures -- not fascists, but you know that they're bad guys -- and what they have done is manufactured a bio-terror weapon in secret, so that they can fake a massive terrorist incident to get everybody on their side, so that they can pursue their right-wing agenda. It's a thwarted and frustrated and perhaps largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values [standing up] against a state run by neo-conservatives -- which is not what "'V for Vendetta' was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]. The intent of the film is nothing like the intent of the book as I wrote it."

Stupid Hollywood.This is to add to sputniks post really.

habsfan
03-25-2006, 12:30 PM
i just saw this last night, thoroughly enjoyed it and will watch it again.

Seanith
03-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I thought it was a great film as well. My mom has the book so perhaps i'll read it after school is done.

Toma
03-25-2006, 11:07 PM

ahhhh carbon copy eh? ....so name some previous efforts then ;)

It ain't even close to 1984 or Clockwork orange...

Thats like saying Star Wars was a rip off of Star Trek

jcrules99
03-25-2006, 11:12 PM
good movie, haha i wanted to piss so bad but i held it in cuz i didnt wanna miss out on the movie, moral of the story... its intresting and entertaining haha

Toma
03-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Fawk, wish I knew it was playing at Imax... may have to go see it there tomorrow night....

A_3
03-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Just got home from V for Vendetta. Excellent excellent movie. I think the trailers all sold it off wrong. I had no interest to see it because from the previews it looked like a futuristic version of Zorro. Then a week ago I was in Indigo and I saw a copy of the graphic novel and flipped through it. It looked absolutely amazing and inspired me to see the film. I think the message in it is great, and as mentioned above it balances both action and thought quite nicely. I was glued to the screen the entire time, at one point probably like an hour and a half in I thought 'holy shit this movie is long, but I don't want it to end'. I didn't find the movie had alot of plot holes. It is based on a book so it's not like the Wachowski's were flying by the seat of there pants while making it. All in all, an incredible film. I'm considering buying the graphic novel now as well because i'm curious to know a little more about V's backstory.

10/10, can't wait for the DVD.

turbotrip
03-26-2006, 02:51 AM
saw it at the imax yesterday night and it was truly amazing, definitely recommend anyone who hasnt see it go and see it soon!

buh_buh
03-26-2006, 03:28 AM
I liked the story idea, but thought it was a bit preachy.

kertejud
03-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Toma

ahhhh carbon copy eh? ....so name some previous efforts then ;)

It ain't even close to 1984 or Clockwork orange...

That's because the filmakers decided to completely ignore what the original was about and make their own sad excuse of a political statement, a statement they are protected from because its based on a British cartoon and set in Britain.

In all essence it SHOULD have been a carbon copy of 1984, instead its just a theatrical portrayl of Fahrenheit 9/11.

HyperZell
03-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

That's because the filmakers decided to completely ignore what the original was about and make their own sad excuse of a political statement, a statement they are protected from because its based on a British cartoon and set in Britain.

In all essence it SHOULD have been a carbon copy of 1984, instead its just a theatrical portrayl of Fahrenheit 9/11.

And let me guess, if it was like 1984 then you and every other pompous movie critic would've bitched about it being 'a carbon copy of 1984'. What the fuck will it take to satisfy people like this? And why is it a sad excuse of a political statement? I thought it was a fantastic foray into the balance between terrorism and freedom fighting, but not necessarily about anything today. Why does everything political have to have some modern-day parallel that people get offended about? It's a movie that tells a story, period. Don't get prissy because you think it 'reflects' some current events - appreciate it for what it is, not what a twisted imagination might make it to be.

kertejud
03-26-2006, 02:22 PM

And let me guess, if it was like 1984 then you and every other pompous movie critic would've bitched about it being 'a carbon copy of 1984'. What the fuck will it take to satisfy people like this? And why is it a sad excuse of a political statement? I thought it was a fantastic foray into the balance between terrorism and freedom fighting, but not necessarily about anything today. Why does everything political have to have some modern-day parallel that people get offended about? It's a movie that tells a story, period. Don't get prissy because you think it 'reflects' some current events - appreciate it for what it is, not what a twisted imagination might make it to be.

The only way you cannot see any modern day parallels in the movie compared to the comic is if you conscienciously ignore them.

This movie is based on a book, a book that has the same political statement as 1984, hence the comparison. If the screenwriters didn't want to make a modern-day parallel then they should have stuck to what the original was about. Yes it tells a story, but if you're going to adapt the movie from a novel, make sure you tell the same story.

Toma
03-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Meh....why argue... there are bound to be a few people that will not like this movie... That's to be expected. :dunno:

sputnik
03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

403Gemini
03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Its a shame the Wachowski brothers cant get their own ideas however.

How much money did they loose after they got sued for the matrix movies?

They have reasonable talent and i like their filming style when it comes to combat. Everything is clear and precise, i hate this new era of the "choppy camera." Ever since saving private ryan everybody wants a bouncy camera to add that "realistic feel." News flash, it only worked in Saving private ryan because it was a heavy war scene, it make you feel like you were on the beach. But every other movie who tries to copy this just seems like they are playing catch with a video camera and hoping they get some reasonable footage.

Its lazy IMO.

but the Wachowski brothers have very clear, effecient action sequences and i give em props.

... its just time they come up with their own story and not turn it into a biblical / political disaster ;) (I read on other forums how awful this movie is vs the book. I Have yet to see the movie, but i probably will go in a week or so to check it out and get my own opinion)

b_t
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

How much money did they loose after they got sued for the matrix movies?

link? sounds ridiculously stupid.

hasn't anyone on this fucking thread heard of the concept that just about all possible topics have been covered nowadays and all we can do is either post-modern stuff, in which case we would have never heard of this movie and it would be playing in an art house cinema somewhere... or retread the same ground and do it better? V may have borrowed liberally from other movies, frankly I don't think it did and I don't care in either case, but it brought all those elements together very well and it simply did it better.

this whole trying to discredit the movie for reiterating a few concepts is just bullshit, a lame excuse to dislike the movie. either articulate your real opinion better instead of using a prefab argument, or just shut up.

kertejud
03-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by b_t

link? sounds ridiculously stupid.

http://www.answers.com/topic/sophia-stewart

hasn't anyone on this fucking thread heard of the concept that just about all possible topics have been covered nowadays and all we can do is either post-modern stuff, in which case we would have never heard of this movie and it would be playing in an art house cinema somewhere... or retread the same ground and do it better? V may have borrowed liberally from other movies, frankly I don't think it did and I don't care in either case, but it brought all those elements together very well and it simply did it better.

this whole trying to discredit the movie for reiterating a few concepts is just bullshit, a lame excuse to dislike the movie. either articulate your real opinion better instead of using a prefab argument, or just shut up.

Its not that V for Vendetta stole from other movies, its the fact that it is the movie adaptation of a book series and the Wachowski brothers morphed it into something that the books (of which the movie was based) didn't intend. If they wanted to make something original and build on other people's ideas, then they should have come up with their own damn idea, not change somebody else's story to better fit their own vision.

b_t
03-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

http://www.answers.com/topic/sophia-stewart

Its not that V for Vendetta stole from other movies, its the fact that it is the movie adaptation of a book series and the Wachowski brothers morphed it into something that the books (of which the movie was based) didn't intend. If they wanted to make something original and build on other people's ideas, then they should have come up with their own damn idea, not change somebody else's story to better fit their own vision.

as far as that sophia stewart person...
http://www.plexus.org/forster/index.html
or if you are too lazy to read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_Stops

"The Machine Stops" from 1909. You could definitely draw a lot of parallels to the Matrix here, and it predates her by about seventy years. Plus it describes the internet way before it actually existed. Its actually a cool story in its own right, and the time at which it was written makes it even cooler.
Intellectual property is BS, a side effect of the circus of the american civil courts. If its not pure flat-out plagarism, you should have no case. As well, a lot of those lawsuits are thrown out, but only the initial proceedings ever get headlines and then the eventual loss of the wannabe trying to win the legal lottery is relegated to obscure corners of the web.

Good point, but it is not the same one all these other guys are making.

heavyD
03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

How preachy? Problem with preachy movies is that most of them suck if the directors attempt to shovel it down your throat. Most people see movies to escape reality not to watch a director's angle on reality. Unless that director's angle on reality has less truths and factual evidence than a LOTR movie such as Micheal Moore's flicks which people like Toma can't get enough of.:dunno:

DelSoln
03-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by b_t

:werd: If you are going to watch a movie produced for the masses then look elsewhere for true originality.

sputnik
03-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

How preachy? Problem with preachy movies is that most of them suck if the directors attempt to shovel it down your throat. Most people see movies to escape reality not to watch a director's angle on reality. Unless that director's angle on reality has less truths and factual evidence than a LOTR movie such as Micheal Moore's flicks which people like Toma can't get enough of.:dunno:

Alan Moore (author of the V comic books) sums up his opinion which was posted earlier. He actually had his name removed from the writing credits after seeing the movie.

"It's been turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country. In my original story there had been a limited nuclear war, which had isolated Britain, caused a lot of chaos and a collapse of government, and a fascist totalitarian dictatorship had sprung up. Now, in the film, you've got a sinister group of right-wing figures -- not fascists, but you know that they're bad guys -- and what they have done is manufactured a bio-terror weapon in secret, so that they can fake a massive terrorist incident to get everybody on their side, so that they can pursue their right-wing agenda. It's a thwarted and frustrated and perhaps largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values [standing up] against a state run by neo-conservatives -- which is not what "'V for Vendetta' was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]. The intent of the film is nothing like the intent of the book as I wrote it." - Alan Moore

heavyD
03-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Alan Moore (author of the V comic books) sums up his opinion which was posted earlier. He actually had his name removed from the writing credits after seeing the movie.

"It's been turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country. In my original story there had been a limited nuclear war, which had isolated Britain, caused a lot of chaos and a collapse of government, and a fascist totalitarian dictatorship had sprung up. Now, in the film, you've got a sinister group of right-wing figures -- not fascists, but you know that they're bad guys -- and what they have done is manufactured a bio-terror weapon in secret, so that they can fake a massive terrorist incident to get everybody on their side, so that they can pursue their right-wing agenda. It's a thwarted and frustrated and perhaps largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values [standing up] against a state run by neo-conservatives -- which is not what "'V for Vendetta' was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]. The intent of the film is nothing like the intent of the book as I wrote it." - Alan Moore

Sigh.:( So it's a Michael Moor fictional truth type movie? I guess I will wait for it to come on video.

403Gemini
03-27-2006, 01:44 PM
b_t, reason why she won is because people on the set who worked with the brothers testified against them saying they even had a copy of the book that they directly referenced from.

They blatantly ripped her off without giving her any acknowledgment.

You would be pissed too, dont deny it

edit; also, take a deep breath, and calm down ;) u're telling people who didnt enjoy the movie to find a better reason or shut up... if a person didnt like the movie so be it, no biggy. just don't take it as a personal attack if they say "meh the movie sucked" and you're standing up saying "IT FUCKING OWNED!!! YOU SUCK OTHERWISE... BLAARRR" cause honestly, thats the way its coming off.

Anyways, i never said the movie was bad, hell i havent even seen it. I even said i want to see it to base my own opinion. I will however restate I wish the Wachowski brothers would make their own film rather than reproduce a piece of literature.

khtm
03-27-2006, 01:55 PM
*spoiler*

Did you ever think that maybe those "holes" are there to make you think? For once we aren't handed a cookie-cutter movie that's easy to follow and takes no imagination to watch, and all the morons come out of the woodwork confused.

khtm
03-27-2006, 01:58 PM

that answers a few of the questions, but still doesn't sway how i saw the movie, far to patched togeather and still basically copies many movies before it with much less success.
Please give some examples of the MANY movies this "basically copies"...

Toma
03-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Sigh.:( So it's a Michael Moor fictional truth type movie? I guess I will wait for it to come on video.
Uhmmm.... lol

The movie is pure fiction.... I didn't see any claim to it being otherwise...

heavyD
03-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Uhmmm.... lol

The movie is pure fiction.... I didn't see any claim to it being otherwise...

Oh so it is like a Micheal Moore movie. Thanks Toma:thumbsup:

finboy
03-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by khtm

Did you ever think that maybe those "holes" are there to make you think? For once we aren't handed a cookie-cutter movie that's easy to follow and takes no imagination to watch, and all the morons come out of the woodwork confused.

those aren't meant to make you think, they are just blatant holes in the plot, nothing more

Originally posted by khtm

Please give some examples of the MANY movies this "basically copies"...

as already listed, it followed the theme of 1984 IMO