PDA

View Full Version : Single Malt Scotch

TimG
03-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I want to try some but i know nothing about it.

Can anyone here educate me? what are the good brands? what are the things to look for?

A790
03-17-2006, 03:25 PM
If you're not a big scotch drinker you might do better with a blended scotch as it's not quite as... rough.

Personally, if you're going for a single malt, age is probably the most important I think. I personally enjoy Glenlevit and Dalwhinnie. There are 5, 10, 12, 15, 20 year scotches... quite honestly, you'd have to know what to look for to point out the differences.

Happy drinking!

TimG
03-17-2006, 03:32 PM
how does a single malt compare to something like JD or Crown Royal Whiskey?

How does the age of the malt affect the taste?

A790
03-17-2006, 03:45 PM
A single malt scotch is a bit more harsh than JD, for example. JD tastes like shit- generally you do it in shots. Scotch, in a shot, wouldn't work. You sip a scotch.'

Advice: go to a restaurant/bar and order one, see how you like it.

jdmakkord
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Good single malts are smoother than blended crap like glenfiddich. All you need to do, is try a few, see if you like the style, and go from there. There are different regions, and different flavors for each. Not all scotch tastes the same.

Some personal favorites of mine:
Balvenie 12yr doublewood
glenrothes
glengoyne sherry cask

Darkane
03-17-2006, 03:48 PM
start with something simple. Glen Fiddich<sp> tastes good and is cheap. Scotch can get expensive! :eek: so watch out

jdmakkord
03-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
start with something simple. Glen Fiddich&lt;sp&gt; tastes good and is cheap. Scotch can get expensive! :eek: so watch out

If he starts with shit like glenfiddich, he will never want to try any other scotch ever again. Its shit. Good scotch doesn't need mix, just ice, or a splash of water. Glenfiddich needs coke:rolleyes:

B17a
03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
jdmakkord is bang on. Scoth is defintiely an acquired taste but should never be compared to blended whiskies. Not anywhere near the same. My fav is the Cragganmore 12year and Glenlivit 15 year.

Generally, the older the more expensive, the more expensive the smoother. I'm a newb but can notice a big difference between cheap single malts and quality stuff.

Darkane
03-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

If he starts with shit like glenfiddich, he will never want to try any other scotch ever again. Its shit. Good scotch doesn't need mix, just ice, or a splash of water. Glenfiddich needs coke:rolleyes:

and thats why i dont drink scotch. lol

TimG
03-17-2006, 04:40 PM
thanks for the info.

I know that good single malts can get quite expensive, which is why im trying to find out which one to try. Even if I buy a cheaper one for $30 or so, i don't want to spend $30 on something i'm only going to drink once because it's crap.

I wish they sold this stuff in those small sampler bottles :)

jdmakkord
03-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by TimG
thanks for the info.

I know that good single malts can get quite expensive, which is why im trying to find out which one to try. Even if I buy a cheaper one for $30 or so, i don't want to spend $30 on something i'm only going to drink once because it's crap.

I wish they sold this stuff in those small sampler bottles :)

$30 wont buy you a decent single malt. $40 will. Better yet, head down to buchanans, and try a few. It may cost you 7-10 a drink, but at least you can try a variety, without having a bottle of something you dont like left over.

pinoyhero
03-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Go a little cheaper to start and buy a botle of single malt and blended malt and see which you like better, from there you can start to step up in age and start trying diff brands.

Kirbs17
03-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Johnny Walker Green Label scotch is definatly a favorite of mine, Also, Old Pulteny 12 year single malt is good :drool:

The Balvenie 10 year is another fav

BlueGoblin
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Auchentoshan - all the years - I find tend to taste finer than their price tag would imply.

Single malt novices may also wish to avoid the feistier styles; Talisker (you can taste the salty sea air in it...) and Laphroig (like drinking burning peat bog, but in a good way.)

One of my favourite mellower whiskies is the Glenmorangie Port Wood FInish (can be had in the $45-55 range). It has a hint of sweetness from the port casks.

I totally agree in saying the basest of whiskies should be avoided. Once you have acquired a taste for good single malt though, things can get very, very expensive. I have come disturbingly close a couple times to dropping serious coin on a bottle before coming to my senses.

I have managed to acquire bottles of '71 Bowmore, a '70 Knockandu, and a '76 Auchentoshan that was like having angels dance upon one's tongue.

A tasting class is a good way to get into Scotch.

Let us know what you get and what you think of it.

TimG
03-17-2006, 05:55 PM
where do they offer tasting classes?

BlueGoblin
03-17-2006, 05:57 PM
^ Kensington wine market is a great start; several of the high-end stores like Willow Park also offer tasting classes. Usually they run around $30-60, include some snacks and about 5-6 glasses of whatever you are tasting.

sweetchariot
03-18-2006, 03:49 PM
how does a single malt compare to something like JD or Crown Royal Whiskey?

How does the age of the malt affect the taste?

Firstly these are "Rye" whiskey, not Scotch. Scotch is brewed almost exclusively in Scotland. Its not the Malt that effects the taste its actually the water & the pete, many scotch brewers will use an burnt pete to add flavour.

There is no comaprison to a Rye & a Scotch, likewise a Rye vs a Bourbon.

If you want a nice tasting Scotch and don't wanna break the bank, one of the most nicest inexpensive ones out there is Bells 12yr old, just put it in a sipping glass, add nothing!!!, no water or ice, and swish it around the same as you would a glass of wine, sip & enjoy.

Once you have acquired a tatste one of the best tasting SCotches out there is Oban - 15yr old, but its gonna cost you about $85.00 a bottle.

rm777
03-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by sweetchariot

Firstly these are &quot;Rye&quot; whiskey, not Scotch. Scotch is brewed almost exclusively in Scotland. Its not the Malt that effects the taste its actually the water &amp; the pete, many scotch brewers will use an burnt pete to add flavour.

There is no comaprison to a Rye &amp; a Scotch, likewise a Rye vs a Bourbon.

If you want a nice tasting Scotch and don't wanna break the bank, one of the most nicest inexpensive ones out there is Bells 12yr old, just put it in a sipping glass, add nothing!!!, no water or ice, and swish it around the same as you would a glass of wine, sip &amp; enjoy.

Once you have acquired a tatste one of the best tasting SCotches out there is Oban - 15yr old, but its gonna cost you about $85.00 a bottle.

If I am not mistaken Oban has disappeared from the retail market altogether. You can still find at some bars that may still have it.

sweetchariot
03-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by rm777

If I am not mistaken Oban has disappeared from the retail market altogether. You can still find at some bars that may still have it.

WTF!!!!!...No shit, where did it go??...I just literally went to go buy some, was told there was none available, came home and read this thread. I know the Kilt & Caber still sells it, but its like $7.95 a glass.

TimG
03-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by rm777

hmm.. not sure if it's the same one, but when I was at the Shawnessy superstore liquor store this weekend I saw a few bottles of Oban on the top shelf...

rm777
03-28-2006, 10:22 AM

hmm.. not sure if it's the same one, but when I was at the Shawnessy superstore liquor store this weekend I saw a few bottles of Oban on the top shelf...

I wouldn't be surprised since I do find the odd bottle at Willowpark once in a while. But I am pretty sure that they stopped makign Oban a while back. I know for a fact that you cannot buy Oban wholesale for restaurants and bars anymore. I'm sure that there a few bottles still kicking around. BTW, if you see any bottles of Cardhu around, let me know. By far one of the smoothest single malt scotches around. Too bad thay are making Cardhu into a blended scotch. Damn Johnny Walker Distillery! :guns:

Alex_FORD
03-30-2006, 12:50 AM
IMO, people that drink wine coolers shouldn't try expensive wines without trying some regular wines first.

or in other words, pop drinkers should stay the F#ck away from Dark roasted coffee until they get exposed to some more basic blends like Maxwell house or Nabob.

So, don't spend you hard earned money on an expensive bottle of scotch if you don't know why it is so great.

You need to start with some cheap shit, drink it with water, drink it with pop, drink it with beer,drink it with piss, etc..... then when you are really brave you can try a straight shot of it.

:devil:

TimG
02-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Bringing this back from the dead.

So in the ~11 months since i posted this I've had a chance to try several different single malts (i'm probably going to butcher the spelling on these names)

Glenfiddich 12 yr
Glenfiddich 15 yr Solera Reserve
Oban 15 yr
Glenmorange 12yr (i ithink)
Dalwhinnie (don't remember the year)

the last three were at a bar, while the two glenfiddich's were bought at the liquor store.

I can definately tell the difference between the 12 and 15 yr Glenfiddich's and I think i prefer the 12 yr over the 15 yr.

one thing that I've noticed is that if I have a glass even an hour after certain meals, it makes the drink taste HORRIBLE. Is there a good way to clean the palate before tasting?

I think the next bottle I buy will be a Glengarioch <sp?> oak cask.

mvprimate
02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I started drinking scotch on johnie walker red and i think its a good one for starters because its not bad and pretty cheap.

I have tried some black and blue label as well and age definately makes a difference.

My bro bought me some glenfiddich and i wasn't a huge fan.

TimG
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
i tried johnny walker red label in the little sampler bottle and couldn't drink it. :thumbsdow

89coupe
02-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Some of my favorites.

Dalwhinnie Single Highland Malt 15 year
Balvenie Single Malt Scotch 10 year
Bowmore Single Malt Scotch 12 year
Macallan Single Highland Malt Scotch 10 year

clockworkboy3
02-27-2007, 03:47 PM
As I'm sure you found out..blended scotch tastes like pure crap!! Whiskey...CRAP! Single malt = good and smooth.

I Like it really Peaty so try Lagavulin 16yr old...It's my all time favorite. Stay away from anything that is sherry finished...heart burn city lol

Good single malts are smoother than blended crap like glenfiddich. All you need to do, is try a few, see if you like the style, and go from there. There are different regions, and different flavors for each. Not all scotch tastes the same.

Glenfiddich is a single malt not a blend!!!

And a word of advice, always buy doubles in pubs and what not...the second shot is a lot cheaper...usualy glenlivet in a double should be around $9

Commanderwiggin
02-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Tried a single malt scotch last weekend...apparently it was top on the scotch list from what my buddy says. All I can say is its got some snap to it. One sip and it made my whole face felt like it was punished by a 2 woman slapfest. Defineately an acquired taste. I'll wait till I can drink crown straight and then I'll move on to scotch.

3g4me
02-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Try Highland park if your willing to spend some $. Remember with age that it dosent matter when it was bottled but how long it has been aged in the barrell. Oh ya and make sure its from scotland or else its not scotch.:thumbsup:

rm777
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Commanderwiggin
Tried a single malt scotch last weekend...apparently it was top on the scotch list from what my buddy says. All I can say is its got some snap to it. One sip and it made my whole face felt like it was punished by a 2 woman slapfest. Defineately an acquired taste. I'll wait till I can drink crown straight and then I'll move on to scotch.

Top scotches are definitely an acquired taste. But I drink what I am in the mood for. You have to remember that some of these scotch ratings are meaningless. See what works for you.

E36M3
03-01-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't like Johnny Walker red either, it is hard to drink. When I drink cheap scotch, I just add water until it is tolerable.

For an inexpensive blend that I still enjoy, try Chivas.

My favorite single malt (within reason) and the one that I have most often is Oban. The supply problems are not as bad as they used to be, so it is easier to find now.

All the basic brands that bars carry in single malt, like Macallan are good. Talisker is a good one to try next to an Oban to see the difference between a peaty scotch and a smooth one (the Talisker is very peaty).

With a good scotch, I usually drink it neat or with a single icecube, but have no problem adding water and/or ice if it is unpleasant.

i tried johnny walker red label in the little sampler bottle and couldn't drink it. :thumbsdow

bluetek
03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by sweetchariot

WTF!!!!!...No shit, where did it go??...I just literally went to go buy some, was told there was none available, came home and read this thread. I know the Kilt &amp; Caber still sells it, but its like $7.95 a glass.

Ya my fav would definitly have to be the Oban. The reason the supply was so short and was hard to get is because their plant caught on fire, and got burnt down. Not sure how there doing now adays.

I havent had some in a while. mmm that stuff is good.

googlie_golfer
03-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Try some Bruichladdich.
Very nice - the 17 is my favorite (especially when someone else is buying).

Some liquor stores have a sampler pack - 10, 12 15 and 17 years in airline size bottles. (going by memory - could be wrong)

You can even buy it by the cask...
http://www.bruichladdich.com/

Good scotch is an acquired taste - and once you've acquired the taste it's a lot of fun to try the different brands.

Something else to try out is good Irish whiskey!

Slainte!

TimG
03-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by bluetek

Ya my fav would definitly have to be the Oban. The reason the supply was so short and was hard to get is because their plant caught on fire, and got burnt down. Not sure how there doing now adays.

I havent had some in a while. mmm that stuff is good.

I was at the Co-op Liquor Store on McLeod near Heritage Dr and they had a few bottles of Oban 15 yr on the shelf.

Amysicle
04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
If you live anywhere near the Crowfoot area, I know that the Crowfoot Liquor store there occasionally has scotch tastings. You can sample a wide variety of scotch without having to buy a full bottle. And you can learn a little bit more about the product too. ;)

The cost to participate ranges from $35 - $70 I think. With appetizers.

Infact, they have one going on this month. http://www.crowfootliquor.com/crowfoot/calendar.asp

rm777
04-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Oban is back!

Charon
04-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Don't have to stick with Scotch single malt IMO bushmills 10 year single is simply an amazing whiskey.
Not as many Irish whiskeys around but damn is Bushmills nice.

+some number for glenfiddich tasting like vomit !!!

jdmakkord
04-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Picked up 3 bottles of Glenrothes 1984 vintage yesterday.... yummay
:drool:

And as for Glenfiddich, I've tried all of them, and I cant even stomach the 18yr mixed with coke! lol Easily one of the worst $85 bottles of booze i've had the misfortune of drinking.

orangefreddie
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I was a scotch guy for a little while, but I have moved on to aged rum.

Go and pick up a 12year old bottle of dark rum, much smoother, and a better flavor.

Flor de Caņa is one of my favourites, you can pick it up at co-op liquor stores for sure, about $40 a bottle.

E46..sTyLez
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by clockworkboy3
As I'm sure you found out..blended scotch tastes like pure crap!! Whiskey...CRAP! Single malt = good and smooth.

I Like it really Peaty so try Lagavulin 16yr old...It's my all time favorite. Stay away from anything that is sherry finished...heart burn city lol

Glenfiddich is a single malt not a blend!!!

And a word of advice, always buy doubles in pubs and what not...the second shot is a lot cheaper...usualy glenlivet in a double should be around $9

odd.....Johnny Wlaker blue is one of the best and most expensives bottles of scotch you will find in any liquor store, and it is a blended scotch. I love that shit

jdmakkord
04-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez

odd.....Johnny Wlaker blue is one of the best and most expensives bottles of scotch you will find in any liquor store, and it is a blended scotch. I love that shit

Johnny blue is a perfect scotch for label whores. It can't compete with single malts that are half the price. That being said, everyone's palates are different...I guess I'm used to good liquor.
:D

KoukiS14
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by orangefreddie
I was a scotch guy for a little while, but I have moved on to aged rum.

Go and pick up a 12year old bottle of dark rum, much smoother, and a better flavor.

Flor de Caņa is one of my favourites, you can pick it up at co-op liquor stores for sure, about $40 a bottle.

Funny i went the opposite way. Started with Rum, i prefer the Appleton Estate Extra 12 Yr. Now its scotch time.

Yeah Jonnie Blue = Label Whore

E46..sTyLez
04-09-2007, 04:48 PM

Johnny blue is a perfect scotch for label whores. It can't compete with single malts that are half the price. That being said, everyone's palates are different...I guess I'm used to good liquor.
:D

Label whore? I'd say aquired taste.

orangefreddie
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Or just for the try hard who wants to look like a bigshot.

jdmakkord
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM

I've been drinking scotch for years, and my collection has plenty of bottles that blow the doors off of bluelabel in taste or price, or both. If you actually like blue label, I could recommend way better bottles, for half to quarter the price.

roopi
04-09-2007, 06:06 PM

I've been drinking scotch for years, and my collection has plenty of bottles that blow the doors off of bluelabel in taste or price, or both. If you actually like blue label, I could recommend way better bottles, for half to quarter the price.

So what do you recommend?

BlueGoblin
04-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't call JW just for label whores, exactly. Some people for some reason like blended Whisky and it is probably the best blended one out there.

That being said, I dislike blends, even the best of them. It doesn't get any better for me than Single Malts.

I just tried a new Single Malt; Finlaggan Old Reservce. it is a bit strange in some ways; no year or age marker, and though it is an Islay, nobody seems to know who exactly distills the stuff. It is cheap for a decent whisky at under $50. It is heavy with peat, and yet has an almost chocolatey creaminess about it once you get past the initial hit of peat. it is quite fascinating. Totally worth trying for all the single malt fans out there.

Good single malts to compete with JW blue, say, in the sub $60 range?

if you like fierce whisky - lots of smoky, peaty, salty goodness:
Laphroaig, Talisker, Lagavulin, Finlaggan.

If you like smoother, sweeter;
Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish, Glenmorangie Burgandy Wood Finish,Auchentoshan 10 yr, Aberlour (bargain around $35), and Benromach if you can find it at a good price.

nismodrifter
12-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Bizzump. What are you drinking during these Xmas holidays??

I've only been drinking for ~1.5 years and am finally able to stomach scotch + ice (or with a little bit of water). Definately enjoy drinking it. So far have drank JW Black w/ice and it was pretty good, tried Red once and that shit is like paint stripper....never again. Picked up a bottle of JW Blue from St. Maarten and some other single malts so will be trying them out over this Xmas break.

jdmakkord: Any recommendations of reasonably priced bottles that you consider MUST HAVES in any collection?

S4maniac
12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
FWIW ... my two faves you haven't mentioned:

Glenfiddich 15 and Macallan 15. No more than a splash or 1 cube.

TimG
12-19-2008, 08:42 PM
i picked up some small samplers from the Glenrothers; 'select reserve', a 17 and a 14 year. haven't tried them yet, tho.

Charon
12-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I am still stuck on Bushmills 10 year. I don't enjoy the 3rd wood they use on the bushmills 16 year.

I try scotches when others have them but have yet to find anything to replace bushmill 10

sti_dood
12-19-2008, 10:54 PM
I am still stuck on Bushmills 10 year. I don't enjoy the 3rd wood they use on the bushmills 16 year.

I try scotches when others have them but have yet to find anything to replace bushmill 10

240SX92
12-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Got a full unopened bottle of JW Blue kicking around. Haven't gotten around to trying it. Ran through a lot of cheaper bottles, didn't much have a taste for any of the ones I tried, then I tried some Oban 15. Very tasty stuff.

ercchry
12-20-2008, 02:31 AM
i picked up some small samplers from the Glenrothers; 'select reserve', a 17 and a 14 year. haven't tried them yet, tho.

i picked up a bottle of the 1985 of theirs for my dad for x-mas, the description of the taste sounds interesting

Kritafo
12-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Oban, one of the smallest of the Scottish distilleries. If you go to any of the distilleries and do the tour almost all of them recommend a dribble of water. It does make the scotch come alive with flavours, they mean about 1/8 tsp of water. I know lots of people will say only drink it neat but it's all personal preference.

We grew up with Scotch around the house. So when it came to experimenting with alcohol it was what was around. I did acquire a taste for Oban. It is my favourite Scotch hands down.

KoukiS14
12-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Im workin on few bottles right now.

Glenmorangie 18yr
Macallan Fine Oak 18yr
Longmorn 16yr
Bruichladdich 15yr Second Edition

Nismodrifter, try The Balvenie Doublewood 12yr or Bowmore 12yr. Both are really good for the price. Can be had for under $50 each. Superstore liquor store should be the cheapest in town for these bottles.

The Balvenie is a good introduction to the Speyside region of Scotland. Bowmore is a good place to start for the whiskies from the Islay region.

Tasting notes to be found at these links. Keep in mind both are completely different from one another.

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/the_balvenie/whisky1324.html

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/bowmore/whisky472.html

jdmakkord
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by KoukiS14
Im workin on few bottles right now.

Glenmorangie 18yr
Macallan Fine Oak 18yr
Longmorn 16yr
Bruichladdich 15yr Second Edition

Nismodrifter, try The Balvenie Doublewood 12yr or Bowmore 12yr. Both are really good for the price. Can be had for under $50 each. Superstore liquor store should be the cheapest in town for these bottles.

The Balvenie is a good introduction to the Speyside region of Scotland. Bowmore is a good place to start for the whiskies from the Islay region.

Tasting notes to be found at these links. Keep in mind both are completely different from one another.

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/the_balvenie/whisky1324.html

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/bowmore/whisky472.html :werd:

brownboi
12-21-2008, 06:23 AM
usually go for Glendronach
scotch's with corks are usually good ones

Neil4Speed
12-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I have tried a few different types of scotch, would not call myself a conessiour by any means - but after trying a fewer of the "non-enthusiast" scotches such as Glenfiddich 12,15,18, Chivas, JW Red, Green, Blue, Gold, - I always come back to Johnny Walker Black with 3 cubes of ice.

I must say that I love JW advertising - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYC8fTv2jp4.

Ps anyone tried out JW Swing? The bottle was somewhat amusing - I suppose simple minds simple pleasures? ha ha

sputnik
12-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Any recommendations of reasonably priced bottles that you consider MUST HAVES in any collection?

Pick up a bottle of Aberlour 10 year.

It's fairly inexpensive and is really good considering the price.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Aberlour_single_malt_10_years_old.jpg

Dycker
12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I've noticed I perfer the Islay and Island (sub-region of the Highland) areas for Scotch, but then again I really enjoy the rich peaty scotches.

But when I'm getting boozed up, I'm not above drinking low-quality scotches like J&B and Glenfiddich 12yr.

My suggestion for any scotch drinker, keep trying new scotches. I still love looking at the bottles behind the bar to see if there's any I haven't tried.

GQBalla
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
This thread helped me out when I decided to buy the gf's brother in law a bottle of scotch.

Also she called her family friend that is a huge scotch drinker who suggested almost scotch here except glenfiddich and johnny walker.

He also told us to stay with single malt scotches. So we decided to buy dalwhinne 15 year old single malt, thing cost about 80 dollers a bottle.

calgarys_finest
12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Im drinking a Oban 14 year this christmas i love it.

Blacura
02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Alright now I know this is an old thread, but I need some help.

I had a scotch that I really enjoyed and naturally I forgot the name.

It was a decent lounge, but it's not going to be anything overly obscure or rare.

It was really smokey, something about the pete being burnt. It was moderatly priced at 14$ an ounce I think.

It's not smokehead, similar but nicer IMO.

I know it's not the best description, but I'd appreciate the help. If I hear the name I will know it.

E36M3
02-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Talisker?

Originally posted by Blacura
Alright now I know this is an old thread, but I need some help.

It was a decent lounge, but it's not going to be anything overly obscure or rare.

It was really smokey, something about the pete being burnt. It was moderatly priced at 14$ an ounce I think.

It's not smokehead, similar but nicer IMO.

I know it's not the best description, but I'd appreciate the help. If I hear the name I will know it.

KoukiS14
02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Bowmore :dunno:

Billy_Billions
02-16-2010, 10:43 PM
bruichladdich is getting a lot of hype recently due to their links series. I find it quite peaty.

Vince1
02-16-2010, 10:51 PM
The Bowmores are my fav, Mariner 15 yr, great with seafood, lighter for those nice summer evenings, Bowmore 12 is a great well rounded but smoky scotch, and the Bowmore cask 56% is very toffee like, almost burnt tasting, yet refreshing in a violent way. Lagavullin 16 yr. is a bit warmer, as is Strathisla 12, which IMO is enjoyed best at room temperature, neat. I've also tried Glen Garioch, Laphroaig, Talisker, but IMHO Bowmore has a Scotch for every taste, budget and occasion.

Blacura
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
Talisker?

I think it might be Lagavulin

962 kid
02-17-2010, 12:31 AM

I think it might be Lagavulin

sounds like Lagavulin to me

dino_martini
02-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin
^ Kensington wine market is a great start; several of the high-end stores like Willow Park also offer tasting classes. Usually they run around $30-60, include some snacks and about 5-6 glasses of whatever you are tasting.

I'm looking at the calender for Willow Park, and I don't really see a 'scotch' tasting.

I see Whisky Basics...thats not the same thing as scotch right?

Sorry I'm a total newbie when it comes to spirits in general.

Vince1
02-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

I'm looking at the calender for Willow Park, and I don't really see a 'scotch' tasting.

I see Whisky Basics...thats not the same thing as scotch right?

Sorry I'm a total newbie when it comes to spirits in general.

Here ya go! :thumbsup: As far as I know this is the best place in town for Scotch selection.

http://www.buchanans.ca/Files/ContentVersionFile/45550/WHISKY_-_COMPLETE_LIBATION_MENU_FEB_-09.pdf

89coupe
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
This is my favorite scotch now.

http://scotchblog.ca/scotch_blog/lagavulin-16yo.jpg

mr2mike
02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
+1 for going to a scotch tasting at one of the liquor stores. I think Crowfoot does them once in awhile too. Go in and ask.

snoop101
02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I'll add to this old thread that was brought up from the grave. Just because its an awesome thread.

Best single malt scotch for the price is glenrothes. Hands down is the best.

Willow park selss it for $58 i think it is.. or around there.

I drink scotch every other day. usually when im playing wow i'll have a small glass with me and sip it through out the night or when im smokin a cigar i'll have a scotch. Cigars and scotch are sooo good together. Yum.

Marsh
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
What do you guys think of Chivas Regal?

Vince1
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
What do you guys think of Chivas Regal?

Chivas Regal is not a single malt, and its backbone is actually Strathisla. It's one of the better blends out there IMO. Compare with a glass of Strathisla 12 yr., and you will see where the Chivas gets the warm, honey flavor from. :thumbsup:

Blacura
02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
How much is a bottle JW blue label in Alberta? I drive through Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.

A bottle is $240 in BC, wonderign if I can get it cheaper in Alberta. It's for a celebration when label whoreing is ok for this one time I feel.

ryder_23
02-18-2010, 04:33 PM
How much is a bottle JW blue label in Alberta? I drive through Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.

A bottle is $240 in BC, wonderign if I can get it cheaper in Alberta. It's for a celebration when label whoreing is ok for this one time I feel.

Looking at liquor connect, wholesale is about 185$, I'd say you could find it for around 220$ give or take.

jkupper
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
yea we sell JW blue label at sobeys liquor stores for $225

Sapo
02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blacura
[B]Alright now I know this is an old thread, but I need some help.

How about:
-Laphroaig 10
-Caol Ila 12 or
-Ardbeg 10?

Sapo
02-21-2010, 06:29 PM

I was in Superstore earlier today to get another bottle of HP 12 and price for JWBlue was $180.99

ercchry
02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
was at willow park's scotch tasting tonight.... :drool: everything was sooo good, defiantly have a few new favorites now

Blacura
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

sounds like Lagavulin to me

Just want to confirm it was indeed the Lagavulin 16 I was looking for.

The Keg only charged $6.95 / oz for it, not sure if that was a mistake or not.

Dycker
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Has anyone tried the Japanese Single Malt Whisky, Yamazaki?

There was a big display in the Frankfurt Airport Duty Free shop saying that it won some awards.

Sidenote: Never knew Strathisla was apart of the Chivas blend. My girlfriend gave a bottle of Strathisla (12yr) to my parents as a house warming gift and was very well received.

Blacura
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Vince1
The Bowmores are my fav, Mariner 15 yr, great with seafood, lighter for those nice summer evenings, Bowmore 12 is a great well rounded but smoky scotch, and the Bowmore cask 56% is very toffee like, almost burnt tasting, yet refreshing in a violent way. Lagavullin 16 yr. is a bit warmer, as is Strathisla 12, which IMO is enjoyed best at room temperature, neat. I've also tried Glen Garioch, Laphroaig, Talisker, but IMHO Bowmore has a Scotch for every taste, budget and occasion.

I know this is an old thread that keeps getting revived, but it's full of good info.

I have to say I agree on the bowmore. I picked up the 12 year old for a little more of an everyday scotch, as I have some lagavullin 16 for more special occasions. For less than half the price of the lagavullin, I am very happy with the bowmore 12. I love smokey scotches.:clap:

Dycker
08-24-2010, 10:48 PM
I love smokey scotches.:clap:

Go for the Laphroaig Quarter Cask matured. Smokey goodness.

Blacura
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I just picked one of these from Home Outfitters for $6.95. Maybe it was placebo but it seriously felt as if it enhanced the drink.

The Glencarin Whisky Glass
http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/images/glencairn%20glass.jpg
http://www.whiskyglass.com/

Dycker
09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I just picked one of these from Home Outfitters for $6.95. Maybe it was placebo but it seriously felt as if it enhanced the drink.

The Glencarin Whisky Glass
http://www.whiskyglass.com/[/URL]

Willow Park sells them for ~$22
Kensington Wine Market ~$17

Does it have Glencarin etched reverse into the bottom so the base magnifies the words when placed on a table? If so, I'm going to Home Outfitters.

Blacura
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Dycker

Willow Park sells them for ~$22
Kensington Wine Market ~$17

Does it have Glencarin etched reverse into the bottom so the base magnifies the words when placed on a table? If so, I'm going to Home Outfitters.

Ya it most certainly does. This was the store in Regina though, I can't remember if it was a sale or not.

I'm going to pick up a few more if I can.