PDA

View Full Version : ~Importing from USA question...~

handsomebassman
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
First of all, i HAVE read the stickied thread on this. But i have some questions that were not answered.

Such as, there is an american car located in the united states for a great price, its legal for import, and its on Ebay. It would cost me less to get it from the states then from here.

Now it says that you must give the US customs at least 3 days notice telling them that you are going to be exporting a vehicle from their country. With an Ebay sale, how quick do they expect you to pick up the vehicle? Do i give them all the money as soon as the sale is complete, or just a portion? Id be worried about them running off with the money.
And if i need to give the border 3 days notice with a copy of the title, that means i will have to have paid 100% of the cars bill before i have even left canada to pick it up, doesnt it?

How do i time it all out. I need an actual time line to understand this.

cp1
03-17-2006, 06:06 PM
bringing a car up from the states is completely different than importing from another country

becuase our laws allow ANY US vehicle that would pass inspection to be brought up you can actually bring it up without worry you just pay duty and tax on the sale at the border then you have 60 days to have it pass an inspection before you can drive it legally.

I have done this with my car i bought it from oregon called my insurance company switched it and drove it up paying the tax at the border (because you have 14 days to register a vehicle) then had it inspected and fixed and what not. no problems.

How quick the seller expects you to pick it up should be arranged between both of you. and yes you do have to OWN 100% of the car before bringing it across the border.

handsomebassman
03-17-2006, 06:11 PM
^^Well i knew i had to own 100% when i bring it across the border, but what i am worried about is this.

Lets say I win a bid on ebay, so do i pay a deposit, or the full amount right away? Is this safe? or can they run off? So then i need to give the border 3 days notice? or do i not?

cp1
03-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Yes you do have to pay for the car in full before you pick it up its just like any other sale... now whether you make an agreement to pay him a deposit then the rest when you pick it up is up to you guys to work out... thats how i would do it.

Usually you pay a deposit on a car sale on ebay but if your serious about bidding i would first make sure its not a scam. ask the seller to take a picture of the car with him in it holding something like a sign with your name on it to make sure he actually owns the car. anyone can pull a picture off the net and say they own it. do your best to keep in contact with him and satisfy yourself that he is who he says he is and is selling something that actually belongs to him. If hes serious about selling he'll understand your dillemma.

I wouldnt pay for something that isnt in your hands yet and any decent ebayer who is selling their cars would understand this.

And you shouldnt have to notify the border at all just show them the bill of sale at the border with how much you paid for it and the canadian side will charge you GST on that amount + any applicable duty fees.

handsomebassman
03-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by cp1
Yes you do have to pay for the car in full before you pick it up its just like any other sale... now whether you make an agreement to pay him a deposit then the rest when you pick it up is up to you guys to work out... thats how i would do it.

Usually you pay a deposit

I wouldnt pay for something that isnt in your hands yet and any decent ebayer who is selling their cars would understand this.

And you shouldnt have to notify the border at all just show them the bill of sale at the border with how much you paid for it and the canadian side will charge you GST on that amount + any applicable duty fees.

Well thats what im saying, if i pay for it in full, i will most likely be standing there giving him the money, and in the USA. BUT THEN i have to wait in the states for 3 days to comply with the 3 days notice?

cp1
03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
read my edit! and no you should not need three days notice... I have never heard of that nor did i go through that.

handsomebassman
03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by cp1
read my edit! and no you should not need three days notice... I have never heard of that nor did i go through that.

oh okay, perfect then. Sorry, i didnt mean to irritate you, its just it seems like so many friggin things to do, when really its not much more than normal.

Weapon_R
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by cp1

Yes you do. Failure to alert the border may result in denied entry.