PDA

View Full Version : Sub box help

James
03-18-2003, 11:20 PM
I just got a new 10" Box for my car,( custom made by Redline_13000 :thumbsup: ) ....and im trying to figure out why it sounds like shit compared to my old Sub:confused: ...Both boxes have VERY small demensions, with no room in my car they have to be small....the old sub was a 10"pioneer IMPP with a 200 watt Rockford amp( bridged from 100.2)...now i have a 10" Sony Explod with a Rockford 150.1( so less powerful amp, more powerful sub)....The Sony Boxes that you can get for these Subs( huge ass ugly Red ones) are pretty big and there ported, my box is small and not ported...would porting the box Ruin it? seeing as the area in my car is so small? :dunno:.....the Main Problem is when the sub hits, it sounds like the box *might* be leaking Air, but with the amount of silicone used to seal it, i dont think it should be leaking, just sounds like shit.....Plus the "Gain" button on the Amp is all busted, so i cant tell what its set at, will that make a difference as to what it sounds like? or just the loudness?

ramminghard
03-18-2003, 11:39 PM
i would not port it. You can't expect to have a very loud system with a sony 10 and only 150w. If i were you i would look for a new sub. Like a low end rockford or JL. I have a 12W0 and it is in a small sealed box behind my seat in a pickup and it is really loud and clear.

redline_13000
03-18-2003, 11:50 PM
he aint expecting rockford bass, its just not giving really any bass. The same box with a pioneer 10 and a bit bigger amp was loud.

James
03-19-2003, 12:25 AM
The bass just sounds distorted or something, hard to explain....the Cabin Area inside an MR2 is so damn small that the Sony Sub SHOULD be Loud enough, but i think becuase the box is so small it sounds funny...what i need to know is if i put a small port( 3" or less in diameter) will it help it, or make it sound even worse.

bol
03-19-2003, 12:28 AM
The box is probably too small.
What is it's internal volume?

Porting isn't going to do anything for you. Ported boxes need to be BIG.

bol
03-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by redline_13000
he aint expecting rockford bass

rockford bass :rofl:

James
03-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by bol
The box is probably too small.
What is it's internal volume?

Porting isn't going to do anything for you. Ported boxes need to be BIG.

Thats what i thought, i dont think ive seen ported boxes that are as small as mine ,not sure what the volume is....... Redline_13000??...guess i might have to switch up the Sub.

bol
03-19-2003, 12:34 AM
The smaller the box, the more power you're going to have to give the sub to reach excursion.

Ported boxes need to be big. It depends on the sub, but in no circumstance is a ported box ever going to be equal or smaller than a sealed box for the same sub.

You either need a bigger box, or more power, but then you risk exploding your xplod :rofl:

redline_13000
03-19-2003, 12:34 AM
its about .7-.8 cubic feet. I dont know why it wouldnt be loud. Thats weird.

bol
03-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by redline_13000
its about .7-.8 cubic feet. I dont know why it wouldnt be loud. Thats weird.

Is that before sub displacement?

150W is going to be hard to do anything useful with that...

And yes, gain will make a huge difference.

Either it's set too low, or worse, it's maxed out, and you're clipping like hell(although it'd be loud and sound like Fat Bastard passing gas)

James
03-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by bol

You either need a bigger box, or more power, but then you risk exploding your xplod :rofl:

did you just think of that yourself!:rolleyes: ....seriously though, thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

redline_13000
03-19-2003, 12:37 AM
yes before sub displacement. I think the sub needs more poweR.

bol
03-19-2003, 12:38 AM
yeah most likely

i don't know what those subs are rated at but 150W seems awfully small, especially with a box that size.

I've got a 1.25^3 box with a 12" that I'm giving 1600W RMS to...

James
03-19-2003, 12:40 AM
the sub is rated at 250rms, 700 max input

bol
03-19-2003, 12:41 AM
150W is definatly not giving you enough juice to drive it in that small of enclosure then.

you can go higher than 250 if you need to, just be careful with the gains.

Weapon_R
03-19-2003, 02:08 AM
150w and you are trying to powe an 800watt sub with that? I'd imagine it isn't reaching it's full potential to remotely even start to sound good...

Canadian 2.5RS
03-19-2003, 10:15 AM
check your gain, if it is too high you WILL get distortion. set your gain lower! bol is right! it sounds like youre clipping.

GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME CONTROLE!!!

either that or youre under powering them. the sixe of the box should make no difference.

and if you want to see if your box is leaking, take it into a dark room with a glow stick and put the stick in the box, if you see any light comming out of the box... seal it.

bol
03-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
check your gain, if it is too high you WILL get distortion. set your gain lower! bol is right! it sounds like youre clipping.

GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME CONTROLE!!!

either that or youre under powering them. the sixe of the box should make no difference.

and if you want to see if your box is leaking, take it into a dark room with a glow stick and put the stick in the box, if you see any light comming out of the box... seal it.

Clipping = Death

The size of the box does matter though. The RMS rating of a sub is it's constant thermal power handling. It is not a requirement. Many people think that regardless of the box, the power requirement is the same. Not ture. The characteristics of the sub will determin which enclosure and volume it will work best in. Mechanical handling(the sub's xmax) is a far more important factor than its thermal handling capabilities. A sub can take hits over their RMS rating, it's just not a good idea to keep giving a sub that much power for an extended period of time. That's why people do SPL burps and not extended listening(granted you'd go deaf...) There is a ratio between enclosure volume and power to reach a subs mechanical handling limit and it varies for each sub. I highly recommend that anyone building an enclosure download and learn how to use WinISD Pro from http://www.linearteam.dk/winisdpro.html

Pushing a sub beyond its mechanical limits = bad news. Too much power = bad news.

The best way to check for a box leak is to push on the sub cone when the sub is in the box. If the cone recoils quickly back to it's original position, you're in good shape, but if its recoil is slow, then you probably have a leak. You'll normally be able to hear the air rush out of the box this way as well.

Canadian 2.5RS
03-19-2003, 01:10 PM
i use winISD every time i build a box. its a good program!

but i think the bottom line is you need to figure out a way to get that sub more power. under powereing a sub is just as bad, if not worse, than over powering a sub. (assuming all other variables are wqual i.e. clipping etc...)