PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice this trend here in Calgary?

Vagabond142
03-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Last night went to see V for Vendetta with friends that didn't go to the sneak preview... so we're driving down 12 ave SW, right off of 14th st (so basically just north of the Red Mile area), and there was a girl jaywalking. She was far enough ahead down the road that she could have EASILY and safely crossed, yet, with me being the ONLY car on the road at that time, she stops DEAD CENTER of my lane and starts to dial her cell phone. By this time I'm about 30 meters away. I give her a solid honk on the horn, she glares at me and gives me the finger, and as I dodge a lane over slowly to miss her, she takes a swing at my car with her purse, hitting the trunk lightly. :banghead: :whipped: :whipped:

So, after this, and with a lot of traffic turning onto the road as the light at 14th had gone green, SHE STAYS IN THE ROAD to keep dialing her cell o_O!

Now, what I want to know is.... why is it that I see this at the University, last night near the red mile, on Country Hills Blvd, pretty much anywhere that someone STOPS IN THE ROAD to dial or answer a cell phone and then acts like you're the one responsible? A) They're outside a crosswalk B) they're j-walking, so technically the car has the right of way (I know, it's odd, but dems da laws) and C) They're doing somehting that can wait the extra 10 seconds it takes to cross the road...

WHY CALGARY!?!?!? WHY!!??? :banghead: (btw, this is the 7th person THIS YEAR I've had to avoid for stopping and using a cell in the middle of the road, and I'm just right fed up with it by now)

l8braker
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Yea, jay walking is pretty bad here. Thing is that i'm just as guilty :D Maybe next time there'll be a car driving whose doing the same thing she was and hit her. Least you were paying attention.

TeamBestBud
03-18-2006, 11:38 AM
effin crackheads...

5hift
03-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I agree with you on this one. Right now the biggest jaywalker beef I have believe it or not is with the seniors. Im taking a few classes at MRC this semester, and I guess MRC is right beside some seniors homes.

Like last week for example, I was waiting for the lights to turn green near MRC as two old ladies were walking up to the intersection. I remember one lady clearly pointed out to the other that the sign was flashing dont cross. The lady waived off the other and just start to cross the intersection as the lights turned green with her friend hesitantly following. In the morning rush, there is probably about 20 cars on each side waiting for 2 old ladies limping with canes to cross about 6 lanes of street. These ladies know they shouldnt cross, but they do anyway, because they know people will stop and not honk or say anything just because they are old. No cop would give them a ticket because they would just pull the confused disorientated old person act.

Kirbs17
03-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Pretend shes the Matador, and your the bull. Rev your engine up a couple time, then drive at her at a blinding pace. At the last second, quickly dodge her. That should give her a scare :rofl:

ZorroAMG
03-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Give her the Weather Man Salute....Throw a frosty, Big gulp, hot apple pie or a big bag of rusty nails at her face. She'll get what she deserves then....

T-Dubbs
03-18-2006, 02:36 PM
u shoulda hit the bitch

Zero102
03-18-2006, 03:02 PM
When I was younger and stupider I decided to try to teach them a lesson....
I took a run at one in my car. I started honking and she didn't move, just gave me the finger, so I put the pedal to the floor.
She moved.
She was too busy eating pavement to try to hit my car with anything, but I suspect she was rather upset about it all.

This method definately works, but it might be a little bit dangerous.

That said, I got a nice call from the police that night. I haven't done it since. Now I am older and wiser. These people think that the whole world waits for them, and unfortunately you can't change them... one day somebody won't be paying attention, and they will get hit by a car. That's life.

b_t
03-18-2006, 03:07 PM
I remember I was driving down that road by Northland Mall, the one that runs by the high school.. and then this old guy just started cruising across the middle of the street, like only about fifteen feet from an intersection, with a waft of cars coming. we all had to slam on our brakes, it was annoying as hell, and then wait for this ancient relic to cross the fuckin street. I wanted to throw shit at him.

01RedDX
03-18-2006, 03:58 PM

Graham_A_M
03-18-2006, 03:59 PM
wow, what a stupid ignorant bitch.

you should get one of those train horns and just f-ing blast it right beside her. That'll teach that bitch a lesson.

Goblin
03-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow to dial a cellphone? Havent heard that before.. wow..

charizard
03-18-2006, 04:11 PM
keep a chill'd bottle of water or a sticky/sweet beverage in your vehicle at all times, so the next time someone stops in the middle of the road like that, unscrew the cap, roll down the window, and give em something to chill out about. For best results, use this technique during the coldest of days. Repeat as necessary.

Khyron
03-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Simple, hit them. I've got 2 pedestrians so far, and looking for a third. No fault and no tickets because it's their fault. You can even sue them to fix your bumper.

Taking back the streets, one crack whore at a time!

Khyron

Unknown303
03-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Had a crazy drunk man stop infront of my truck (when i had it) during a green light. So i rev'd the engine at him and started to lay down a mean smoke show. As i started to squeal the tires his eyes widened up like plates and he dived out of the way. So then i release brakes and continue the tiring spinning fury past his laying a think layer of smoke the whole time.

Nissanaddict
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Step 1 - A lot of us here drive imports, the horns are quiet. Step one, remove horns.

Step 2 - Enter pick n' pull

Step 3 - Find 91 (I believe that's the year) or newer Caravan (either way, the gen that's still boxy, but has a rounder interior)

Step 4 - Grab horns

Step 5 - Install on your car. These are loud dual tone horns, and at a healthy distance, it'll make most people jump, and costs less than those fake train horns.

paulmation
03-20-2006, 11:30 AM
HAHAHAHAHAH well i had fun reading these, i live in edmonton and have yet to stop for a person reaching for a cellphone. but yeah damn pesky pedestrians.

calgarygts
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
She hit your car?!? I would have pulled over and confronted her if she hit my vehicle. I'm not saying go after her, but I'd definitely be on the cell getting the cops down there if she took a swing and connected. Hitting a person's vehicle with whatever you've got in hand for that is ignorant and unacceptable. I would think especially to most people on this board, who value their vehicles a little more than the average person.

Vagabond142
03-20-2006, 01:07 PM
CalgaryGTS: I would have stopped if we weren't already late for the movie. If she had landed a hard hit, then I WOULD have stopped and a full bitch session would have ensued :D

ProjectR
03-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Taking back the streets, one crack whore at a time!

:rofl: you made my day haha

Vagabond142
04-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Happened AGAIN tonight...

Coming down 17th ave (red mile) after dropping buddy off at his apartment building. I'm in the right lane, going to be turning at the lights... I'm 2 cars back from the front of the pack that formed at the previous red light.

Now, as I'm driving along, these two dudes, without even so much as a check, walk right out into the road, with me doing about 40, about 10 feet from me. I'm not talking peek around the hood of the SUV to see if there is someone coming. I mean, they're talking to each other, facing each other, one guy walking backwards into traffic. Didn't even slow their pace, just walk walk BANG.

I didn't have any time to react except to start my foot towards the brakes and my hand to the horn. I nicked him. Not a hard hit, but it did damage my right passenger rear mirror. I swear in 7 languages in about the space of 2 seconds, put my hazards on, park as best I could, run back to see if the guy is okay (keep in mind, I didn't see them as they came out from between an explorer and an H2). He was, so I made sure he didn't need any first aid, made sure that they didn't want to pursue the matter further, then hopped in my car and skedaddled pretty quickly.

Now... my question is...

WHO THE BLEEDING FUCK WALKS ****BACKWARDS**** INTO THE FUCKING MIDDLE OF FUCKING TRAFFIC WHEN TWO CARS HAVE ALREADY GONE BY!!!??!!?!?!?!?!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: God I want to smack those kinds of people.

civic_stylez
04-09-2006, 10:30 PM
get one of those ship foghorns and put that in the car... give a nice blast of that shit and i guarantee theyll move!

arian_ma
04-09-2006, 10:47 PM
oooooooor, waterballoons :thumbsup:

Payner
04-09-2006, 10:59 PM
I would have hit them and I have no worry what will come from damage to my chrysler boat just barely scrap them every time I think I'm up to 20 some people now

dragonone
04-10-2006, 01:49 AM
this happens so much around the 1st SW block between 12/13th ave SW
i get these low-lifes glaring/smiling weird at everyone when they cross the street
once i had no idea if the person was going to cross or start dealing on the corner, i give it a little gas and starts rolling forward, then the guys starts going crazy w/ profanity and almost kicked my car