PDA

View Full Version : Buying a TDI.. Suggestions?

redx2nv
03-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, i sold my s2k and im in the market for a fuel efficient vehicle as i will be commuting much more than i use to be.

Im looking at a 99+ Golf/Jetta TDI, and spending anwyhere from 10k-20k.

Any certain things to look for with these cars? I was told some were made in mexico and the quality was subpar, what years should i look for to avoid this?

nismodrifter
03-18-2006, 01:39 PM
TDI info has been brought up many times on the forums. Search TDI and you will get a bunch of threads about them.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117776

Good Resources:
www.tdiclub.com
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=4
and the TDI forum on VWVortex.

Regarding build location: They are all Made in Mexico. The vin number will tell you this (any VIN that starts with 3VW is made in mexico = all TDI's).

And if you are concerned about Mexico build quality, I suggest you read this thread about the new MK5 GTI's that are coming out of Germany. Makes you wonder about German build quality:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2496970

Zero102
03-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Jetta wagons aren't built in mexico... at least that was the consensus over on tdiclub. But, I believe all of the other TDI's are built in Brazil. At least my golf was.

pre-04 models will have the TDI engine with an injection pump. These seem to be less finnicky about oil choice, and there are many more mods available.
04+ models have the PD TDI engine, +10hp, +18lb/ft torque (I believe), but you must use 505.01 certified oil to keep your warranty.

The 04+ models will be in the top end of your price range. IMO they are worth it, the 505.01 oils aren't that much more expensive than the 505.00/CF/whatever oils.
Watch out for intake clogging. Very common on higher-mileage TDI's (50,000km+). Not a big deal, but it takes some time to clean. Biggest symptom of it is greatly reduced power.

Pre-04 models have lots of common failures.. N17, N75, etc. Read all about it over on TDI Club.

After doing lots of reading, about new and used ones. I decided to buy a brand new one. Warranties are nice. That said, a new golf TDI would be ~5k out of your price range (unless you want to finance it).

bart
03-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Regarding build location: They are all Made in Mexico.

mine is brazil too.

btw, just so you know, you cant get any more brand new tdi's, cause vw sold their alottment for even next year i think. so until we get euro diesel here, 1-2 more years, you have to look for used tdi's.

tdi's definately feel fast though, cause of the torque, but they aren't in reality :)

nismodrifter
03-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Both our Jetta's are from Mexico....anyways...Mexico/Brazil is same isht different tacos...main point is its not German and thats what I think he was wondering.

Zero102
03-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Interesting. I talked to a sales rep at NL VW just a couple days ago about TDI's... he said nothing about them all being sold.
He could have left it out, but I still find it very strange.

Aleks
03-19-2006, 12:08 AM
I have heard many many horror stories about VWs and have owned one myself. I was actually considering buying a new Gti until once again i started reading vwvortex. I guess there is some truth behind why VW always has one of the poorest reliability ratings in surveys out there :( :banghead:

EK 2.0
03-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I have heard many many horror stories about VWs and have owned one myself. I was actually considering buying a new Gti until once again i started reading vwvortex. I guess there is some truth behind why VW always has one of the poorest reliability ratings in surveys out there :( :banghead:

But Aleks, I think it's one of those love/hate things. The hard-core drivers...ie Nismo, Bart, all the peeps on clubveedub or whatever will attest that they love their Dubs, and maybe lots of them have NOT had issues...and the few who have will still take a shopping cart for their Dub. But from the outside of the community we read the reports and see the stats we get scared off of the Dub. I do like the cars, prolly will never own one...but the peeps who do LOVE them to death...

you either love them to death...or steer clear of them...

Zero102
03-19-2006, 11:43 AM
That's the problem, look at any brand in that light.
For example, take a stroll over to Rennlist, and watch how many people bitch about their Porsche's. Same deal with vwvortex. The problem is you only hear the bad. I've got tons of horror stories about my parent's pontiacs, and yet not one about my VW.

The problem is you never hear the good stories.

The only issue I had with mine was my own fault. I believed something the service department said, and they lied.
Other than that, my TDI hasn't missed a beat, and has been rock solid. Of course I only have 13,150km on it, but I expect at least 30 times that before any issues show up.

Aleks
03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

But Aleks, I think it's one of those love/hate things. The hard-core drivers...ie Nismo, Bart, all the peeps on clubveedub or whatever will attest that they love their Dubs, and maybe lots of them have NOT had issues...and the few who have will still take a shopping cart for their Dub. But from the outside of the community we read the reports and see the stats we get scared off of the Dub. I do like the cars, prolly will never own one...but the peeps who do LOVE them to death...

you either love them to death...or steer clear of them...

Agree 100%. I think they have among highest brand loyalty out there. Guy at my work has a Gti and has had a few issues but he'd never buy anything else. Owned dubs all his life!