PDA

View Full Version : STi vs GTO

962 kid
03-19-2006, 08:59 PM
alright, a friend of mine is trying to decide between a GTO and a STi (he lives in the states, I know GTOs are not legal here). The difference in price is minimal, so this is purely to pick the better car. Please include any reasons you may have for choosing one over the other.

GTO pros:
V8 sound (would probably get an exhaust)
Power and instant throttle response
Lots of room in both front and rear seats
Leather interior
Reliable
Sleeper

GTO cons:
2 doors
Heavy
Lazy-ish handling

STi pros:
Turbo
Sweet lookin car
Sexy interior (the seats are really hot)
Also a sleeper (the only mod for the STi would be a stock WRX decklid for spoiler delete)
4 doors (very big plus)
Bigger trunk
Pretty good handling

STi cons:
Can’t put an exhaust on it because it would just sound annoying
Small back seats
4WD wouldn’t be as fun (lack of snow)
Would most likely buy used

That.Guy.S30
03-19-2006, 09:18 PM
tell him to ditch both and get the evo.

edit: certain exhausts on the STi's sound amazing and are quiet. not annoying at all. you get the boxer rumble on in the mid-upper rpm band.

962 kid
03-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

edit: certain exhausts on the STi's sound amazing and are quiet. not annoying at all. you get the boxer rumble on in the mid-upper rpm band.

he prefers the STi to the evo ;) remember, an evo in USA is no more special than a STi

mac_82
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM

:werd:. As long as the exhaust isn't Borla or HKS, or one of the louder exhausts it will be fine. Something more along the lines of a Borla Hush or Prodrive is quiet in the lower RPMs, but has a nice growl to it at higher RPM, and it will sound amazing. The boxer rumble is music to my ears. And AWD is great any time of year.

iceburns288
03-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
And AWD is great any time of year.

I live in the States too, and I don't have snow a third of the year like y'all seem to, and 4WD seems kinda boring to me too:dunno:

DC2
03-20-2006, 02:58 AM
if i had to choose i'd be an STi, just cuz...
seems like the STi has more pros, it also MIGHT be better on gas depending on how he drives it. so STi!!

Fosgate R
03-20-2006, 09:04 AM
STi all the way! And exhausts sound amazing on those! He'd have no problem finding one that isn't very loud. And as for the back seats...they're not bad at all compared to many other cars out there....i'm 6'3 and i didn't find it too cramped.:bigpimp:

heavyD
03-20-2006, 09:13 AM
GTO because its got a frikking Corvette engine.:D

Pee_Sack
03-20-2006, 09:23 AM
How can you say the STi is annoying and doesn't sound good with exhausts. Have you ever heard a nice true boxer rumble? It is almost as good as sex. I am just a Subaru fan b0i so I am going to say the STi.

Sharpie
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
GTO all the way. There was one up here I had some pics, but i lost them.

khtm
03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Those are two completely difference cars...your friend needs to ask himself what kind of car guy he is...

If he likes drag racing...GTO

If he likes any other type of racing...STI (the i is no longer lowercase, btw).

I find it odd that somebody would have narrowed their choice down to these two cars. :dunno:

Voodoo Child
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid
alright, a friend of mine is trying to decide between a GTO and a STi (he lives in the states, I know GTOs are not legal here). The difference in price is minimal, so this is purely to pick the better car. Please include any reasons you may have for choosing one over the other.

GTO pros:
V8 sound (would probably get an exhaust)
Power and instant throttle response
Lots of room in both front and rear seats
Leather interior
Reliable
Sleeper

GTO cons:
2 doors
Heavy
Lazy-ish handling

STi pros:
Turbo
Sweet lookin car
Sexy interior (the seats are really hot)
Also a sleeper (the only mod for the STi would be a stock WRX decklid for spoiler delete)
4 doors (very big plus)
Bigger trunk
Pretty good handling

STi cons:
Can’t put an exhaust on it because it would just sound annoying - I have a very quiet exhaust....actually you wouldn't know it was on!
Small back seats - sure but how many times do you have 4 passengers?
4WD wouldn’t be as fun (lack of snow) - ummm no, just as fun
Would most likely buy used - smart move, not as much depreciation

Answers in the quote

Rockski
03-20-2006, 09:53 AM
GTO man, i cant see why he would have a hard time deciding between the 2

habsfan
03-20-2006, 10:18 AM
my vote is on GTO. bulletproof drivetrain, decent enough handling, and rear drive is much more fun than awd if you're not in a snowy climate imo

SilverBoost
03-20-2006, 10:31 AM
As was said, apples and oranges. You can't even compare those two cars IMO.

I'd go STI Myself, but I know what I want in a car. And a GTO isn't it. Be fun for a day or so, but it's just too large of a car for me. I like being able to get into tight spaces. :)

3.4L-QUADCAM
03-20-2006, 11:02 AM
GTO ALL THE WAY THERE IS NOTHING SEXIER THAN THE DUAL RAM AIR VENTS THAT THE GTO COMES WITH FROM THE MANUFACTURE AND IT ALLREADY COMES WITH BEAUTIFUL BUCKET SEATS. ALOT MORE COMFORTABLE THAN AN STi THAT'S FOR SURE. AND IF HE IS LOOKIN' FOR A CAR TO MOD EASILY WITH OUT PLAYING WITH THE INSIDE OF THE ENGINE AND GET SOME SWEET POWER THE GTO IS THE ONE FOR THAT. GM UNDER POWER THEIR ENGINES ALL THE TIME SO OUT OF THAT 400HP 6.0L HE WILL GET ALOT MORE POWER THAN THE STi JUST BY CHIPING THAT CAR. NOTHIN' IS BETTER THAN RAW POWER.

IF HE IS LOOKIN' TO DO DRIFTIN' THEN DIFFENATELY THE STi. BUT I STILL SAY THE GTO IF HE IS LOOKIN' FOR REAL POWER.

JCX
03-20-2006, 11:52 AM
The GTOs are apparently not selling that well so I would go and try to get a good deal on one.

It's a good balance of power and luxury. The LS2 is a good motor. There are a lot of mods available. The car handles better than most import fanbois would want to believe. Really, IMO, the main con with the GTO is the less than awe inspiring looks.

The main reason to get the STI would be to get the extra doors.

Toms-SC
03-20-2006, 12:17 PM
GTO, he should be able to get a pretty good deal on it plus it will stil have a full warrenty.

bspot
03-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Here's a comparison from edmunds on exactly these two cars:

Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=105773/pageNumber=1?synpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www.edmunds.com/)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/comparison/2005/gto.vs.sti/05.pontiac.gto.f34.500.jpg

mac_82
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
On paper, the GTO looked tough to beat. A 400-hp small-block V8, six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive — what more do you need? But the more we drove these cars on the edge, the more we realized that the STi was the real deal. It held its own on the drag strip and flat-out smoked the GTO through the slalom. Plus its backseats come with doors. On the street, more than one editor noted that when it comes to raw, unfiltered feel, it's the Subaru that delivers over the more refined GTO. Add in the STi's higher-quality interior and usable trunk and it's the Subaru that gets our $33K.

modded46
03-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
GTO because its got a frikking Corvette engine.:D

Too bad it's just about the ugliest thing on the road next to the HHR. And it doesn't really matter how much horsepower you ahve when your're trying to push almost 4000lbs down the road you're going to need a lot more than 400hp to do it quickly.

That.Guy.S30
03-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by 3.4L-QUADCAM

IF HE IS LOOKIN' TO DO DRIFTIN' THEN DIFFENATELY THE STi. BUT I STILL SAY THE GTO IF HE IS LOOKIN' FOR REAL POWER.

lol. only team orange uses the STi to drift and thats cuz its rwd.

Pee_Sack
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by khtm

If he likes any other type of racing...STI (the i is no longer lowercase, btw).

The "i" is still lower case because he is planning on buying used.

;)

That.Guy.S30
03-20-2006, 05:33 PM
^ hahahah nice

Orbie
03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I would go for the GTO but I'm a coupe guy. I also much prefer the sleeper look of the GTO more than the over the top boy racer look of the STI. If your friend is all about performance than STI but if you want a bit of refinement built in than GTO.

benyl
03-20-2006, 05:42 PM
GTO...

and I own an STi

962 kid
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your input everyone, I've relayed the info and he has a few comments to add:

- both cars would be '04
- that means no LS2 in the GTO
- he doesn't like the sound of the STi, especially compared to the GTO V8
- he wants to keep the car for 5 years or more, so reliability/comfort is important
- any mods done would be minimal (he's a pussy), so the easier to get more hp the better

PraviYugosloven
03-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Sti is better for looks and sound i think and gto is more for speed, plus the STi has probably one of the sexiest sounding exhausts but i like them both a lot :thumbsup:

iceburns288
03-20-2006, 06:49 PM
STi cons:
Can't put an exhaust on it because it would just sound annoying

certain exhausts on the STi's sound amazing and are quiet. not annoying at all. you get the boxer rumble on in the mid-upper rpm band.

:werd:. As long as the exhaust isn't Borla or HKS, or one of the louder exhausts it will be fine. Something more along the lines of a Borla Hush or Prodrive is quiet in the lower RPMs, but has a nice growl to it at higher RPM, and it will sound amazing. The boxer rumble is music to my ears.

Originally posted by Fosgate R
And exhausts sound amazing on those! He'd have no problem finding one that isn't very loud.

Originally posted by Pee_Sack
How can you say the STi is annoying and doesn't sound good with exhausts. Have you ever heard a nice true boxer rumble? It is almost as good as sex.

Originally posted by PraviYugosloven
the STi has probably one of the sexiest sounding exhausts

He clearly stated twice that he doesn't like the sound of the STi. Are y'all trying to correct him or something? He's entitled to his own opinion:rolleyes:

h22aseller
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by 3.4L-QUADCAM
GTO ALL THE WAY THERE IS NOTHING SEXIER THAN THE DUAL RAM AIR VENTS THAT THE GTO COMES WITH FROM THE MANUFACTURE AND IT ALLREADY COMES WITH BEAUTIFUL BUCKET SEATS. ALOT MORE COMFORTABLE THAN AN STi THAT'S FOR SURE. AND IF HE IS LOOKIN' FOR A CAR TO MOD EASILY WITH OUT PLAYING WITH THE INSIDE OF THE ENGINE AND GET SOME SWEET POWER THE GTO IS THE ONE FOR THAT. GM UNDER POWER THEIR ENGINES ALL THE TIME SO OUT OF THAT 400HP 6.0L HE WILL GET ALOT MORE POWER THAN THE STi JUST BY CHIPING THAT CAR. NOTHIN' IS BETTER THAN RAW POWER.

holy capslock batman!

anyways, the GTO is a nice car, but it doesn't handle as nice as an STI, and even though scooby can pickup and go like a bitch, it certainly won't drift any better than the GTO (which would be the drift car of choice for the GM performance team you tard) and I have yet to see a good drift STI. The car is meant to stick to the road, not break loose.

Furthermore, I have driven both, the GTO is nice, the STI speaks to the inner rally fan in me and surprise surprise, it may make 300hp, but i garauntee you that under light load, it'll use way less gas than the GTO.

just my two cents.

canadiandaytona
03-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Wait a year and get a Challenger :love:

Fosgate R
03-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack

The "i" is still lower case because he is planning on buying used.

;)

:rofl: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/bilmaga/owned20cat.jpg

PSJanis
03-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your input everyone, I've relayed the info and he has a few comments to add:

- both cars would be '04
- that means no LS2 in the GTO
- he wants to keep the car for 5 years or more, so reliability/comfort is important
- any mods done would be minimal (he's a pussy), so the easier to get more hp the better

well lets see...the '04 is an LS1 (Legendary engine for those who dont know) with 350 Horsepower. so its still powerful...and he can add the hood scoops if he wants :thumbsup:

also the GTO is known as a great american car + its sleeper look is nice.

but the biggest thing with a GTO over the STi...Explained with 2 smilies: :burnout: :burnout:

That.Guy.S30
03-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

He clearly stated twice that he doesn't like the sound of the STi. Are y'all trying to correct him or something? He's entitled to his own opinion:rolleyes:

read the first post. he says "he doesnt want to put an exhast on becasue it would sound annoying." this could mean he doesnt want a fart can exhaust that sounds like crap.

but most subie owners know that if you get a good exhasut you will get the boxer rumble and does not drone or annoy. this is how i see it.

mac_82
03-20-2006, 08:31 PM

read the first post. he says "he doesnt want to put an exhast on becasue it would sound annoying." this could mean he doesnt want a fart can exhaust that sounds like crap.

but most subie owners know that if you get a good exhasut you will get the boxer rumble and does not drone or annoy. this is how i see it.

:werd:

Originally posted by PSJanis
but the biggest thing with a GTO over the STi...Explained with 2 smilies: :burnout: :burnout:

STi =
:burnout: :burnout:

In the end it comes down to person taste, but it sounds like he hasn't done much research himself to justify his choices...

PSJanis
03-20-2006, 08:37 PM

:werd:

STi =

In the end it comes down to person taste, but it sounds like he hasn't done much research himself to justify his choices...

just keep in mind...these are stock vehicles. hate to break it to ya but stock STi = no :burnout: (due to the fact that it is in fact AWD and there is just not enough holding the car back/ too little rotational energy in the wheels to overcome inertia as would be needed to create the AWD-burnout)

would be nice to have a stock AWD burnout but i think to a point that could defeat the purpose of having AWD anyway.

Toms-SC
03-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by benyl
GTO...

and I own an STi

:love:

Moe Man
03-22-2006, 07:15 PM
people see STI = oh

people see GTO= F***EN LOOK AT THE GTO OMG ITS A F***EN GTO

:closed:

PSJanis
03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
people see STI = oh

:werd: so true case closed.

benyl
03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller

but i garauntee you that under light load, it'll use way less gas than the GTO.

I can guarantee the opposite. I have the gas receipts to prove it.

The STi is a freaking pig. And it take super premium (especially the '04). 94 octane.

962 kid
03-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
people see STI = oh

:rolleyes: he doesn't live in Canada, a GTO is not a rare sight in America. In fact, it would most likely be the other way around because of the conservative styling of the GTO.

h22aseller
03-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by benyl

I can guarantee the opposite. I have the gas receipts to prove it.

The STi is a freaking pig. And it take super premium (especially the '04). 94 octane.

Well, I don't personally own either vehicle, however I do have an uncle that owns an STI (06 model, not sure how it compares) and though it has to use 91 octane (car couldn't feasably be sold here if it NEEDED 94) under very light load it does use less gas than the GTO a friend of mine has. Now, this is coming third party, and neither person has had their car for very long, but I would assume that as long as you drive the STI very lightly (ie. not really realistically, but more like your grandma would drive her Towncar) it would use less gas than a vehicle that has to fire 8 cylinders.

You do own an STi, which does make me tend to believe what you're saying, but like any car gas milage really depends on the driver. The STi will need to be pushed further to come up with the performance figures that the GTO does so in reality they might be very similiar, but even the EPA milage of them is identical (the STI is one MPG better in the city and the GTO is one MPG better on the highway) Driven into the ground my accord will have the same gas milage as my expedition and my RX330 will have the same milage as an excusion. And i have the gas recipts to prove that.

That is what I know, if it it totally false then either my uncle and my friend don't know what they are talking about, or like so many things in this world, the comparison is apples to oranges. There is no way to reproduce the exact same driving conditions for both vehicles so if they are even close, the results could be scewed in either direction by a change in atmospheric pressure, temperature or even just trying to avoid a collision.

rc2002
03-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Definitely GTO. There's no replacement for displacement. STi's are becoming way too common. Plus the interior in the STi is garbage.

benyl
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM

:rolleyes: he doesn't live in Canada, a GTO is not a rare sight in America. In fact, it would most likely be the other way around because of the conservative styling of the GTO.

I was in San Francisco last week for 5 days. I saw 4 STis in my travels and not one GTO.

people aren't buying them. That is why it got the LS2 and a bunch of marketing done.

Cypresskilla
03-23-2006, 10:58 AM
OFF TOPIC sorry but anyone know when we will be getting the GTO?

iceburns288
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller
Well, I don't personally own either vehicle, however I do have an uncle that owns an STI (06 model, not sure how it compares) and though it has to use 91 octane (car couldn't feasably be sold here if it NEEDED 94) under very light load it does use less gas than the GTO a friend of mine has. Now, this is coming third party, and neither person has had their car for very long, but I would assume that as long as you drive the STI very lightly (ie. not really realistically, but more like your grandma would drive her Towncar) it would use less gas than a vehicle that has to fire 8 cylinders.

Well of course it uses less when under light load! It's a 4 cylinder. When it's on boost is uses a ton of fuel because it's got to ignite a 5l engine's worth of air, but when off it's only got 2.5l to feed. The GTO is 5.7/6.0 all the time. Anyways, who drives an STi carefully?:D

Toms-SC
03-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Cypresskilla
OFF TOPIC sorry but anyone know when we will be getting the GTO?

We wont