PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

anarchy
03-20-2006, 03:08 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a Canon 300D Rebel and was wondering if anyone knows a good place to find one for a decent price. It doesn't matter if it's brand new or used, so long as it's in good condition.

I currently have just a 35mm SLR (Canon Elan II) and I've used the 300D and I've gotten used to its features. I also have a 50 and 100mm lens from my Elan so I can use that on my Rebel as well. Anyways if anyone knows a good place other than The Camera Store, Vistek Visuals, Ebay and buysell.com that woudl be great. Thanks.

lint
03-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Check out the buy and sell forum at www.fredmiranda.com. A few have been posted here recently.

You may also want to consider the Rebel XT.

TurboMedic
03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Go newer, the technology and metering is always changing, so newer is better! If you're so inclined to buy Canon (not my choice), look at the XT, its nice, but way too small, but I believe more pwerful than the 300D, but I may be wrong...

anarchy
03-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Well I don't need anything too over the top, I just want something to play around with and whatnot. And I figure the 300D will do that for me, the XT seems much of the same except the 8.0 mp compared to 6.5 which is no biggie to me, but I could be wrong with the other features. I just don't want to spend over a grand but yeah I will look at that site.
Thanks guys!

lint
03-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by anarchy
Well I don't need anything too over the top, I just want something to play around with and whatnot. And I figure the 300D will do that for me, the XT seems much of the same except the 8.0 mp compared to 6.5 which is no biggie to me, but I could be wrong with the other features. I just don't want to spend over a grand but yeah I will look at that site.
Thanks guys!

The rebel XT is more than just going from 6.3 to 8.0 mp. Start up time, ai servo in creative modes, digic II processor, etc etc. It's a much better camera than the 300D. Check the review here (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/)

anarchy
03-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Hmm sounds awesome but I don't know if it's overkill for me. For just an average user that's just interested in taking some photos for fun and playing around with it, I don't see myself needing much more than what the 300d provides.

I don't want to spend over 1000 dollars on features I won't be using in other words. But what are some of the opinions of people on here that have used both the 300d and XT?

PraviYugosloven
03-20-2006, 10:58 PM
If i were you i would go to the camera store its a great shop where you can buy all things camera and the staff is really friendly and well trained they know what their talkin about heres the link to their website.
http://thecamerastore.com/Default.aspx

C4S
03-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Best for you buck ..

I still recomend a slightly used 20D .. for app.$12-1300 .. can't go wrong! :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
03-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Forget the 20D, go for the Rebel XT or a Nikon D50. For someone that doesn't need the extra features, the price difference for the 20D just isn't worth it. Beside, the difference in image quality between the Rebel XT and 20D is nigh indiscernable.

anarchy
03-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Well the reason i'm going with canon is because I already have 2 canon lenses and a flash so I'm all set to go with it. Plus I'm already familiar with the way the rebel functions.

Sounds like I should go for the XT

BerserkerCatSplat
03-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Be sure to go try an XT before you drop the cash, some people have decided to go to a different camera because they didn't like the feel of the rather compact Rebel XT.

(Me, for instance.)

TurboMedic
03-21-2006, 03:45 AM
MP isn't where its at.....just so you guys know....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

BerserkerCatSplat
03-21-2006, 03:48 AM
I think most of us know that, but it's always a good reminder in case someone doesn't. :D

Anarchy: I forget to mention you should check out www.bhphotovideo.com , it's a store in the States that has great selection.

TurboMedic, what do you shoot? You mentioned something about not shooting Canon...